Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #401
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
we've both slipped into casually calling poor old Coldan an Easterling, at least internally...
Well, he's stocky, has an accent, and has mentioned Rhun as home. Why wouldn't Aldarion think he was an Easterling, right? Or at least that's what I was thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
EDIT: oh by the way phantom, did you make up up the Swan Players? Or Mnemo? They sounded so cool I was convinced they were canon but couldn't find any reference...
Erm.... I remember IMing quite a bit about it... I'm fairly certain Mnemo is the one that suggested a run-in with a rival troop from Dol Amroth going by the name "The Swan Players", and then after that I filled bits and pieces about them due to my character being a former member. At least I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #402
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooooo, threatening! Collie's getting desperate!

Love it!

Edit: I think I'll wait until Collie and Aldarion yell each other out before I'll tell them to go to Brinn. Otherwise, I see a neverending quarrel that will never reach any concusion.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-12-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #403
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
For those who are wondering...

I am up to my eyeballs in work, and despite that, Really Really Would Not Mind Writing Elanor, because this is, essentially, what I do. But I would honestly prefer it if someone else took her first, because 1). I already have two characters, 2). I do not wish to be a Railroadress, and 3). I would already know exactly what Elanor would be doing. Which would be something in between "charming" and "attempting to take over the entire production."

I will not be up to my eyeballs in work come this time tomorrow; however, I will be on the road from Thursday through Saturday. Hopefully the hotel will have wireless, because I'm planning on bringing my laptop.

Once this argument clears up (and maybe there's some Brinn conferencing), I'd like to move things to the next morning, if that's fine by everyone else... If no one's claimed Elanor by that point, I'll have her wander into the inn by then and start being sweetly overly helpful.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #404
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Once this argument clears up (and maybe there's some Brinn conferencing), I'd like to move things to the next morning, if that's fine by everyone else... If no one's claimed Elanor by that point, I'll have her wander into the inn by then and start being sweetly overly helpful.
Would you be able to do one of those conferences with Branor sometime tonight? It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but just give Bran the chance to get some boasting and griping off his chest and perhaps Brinn the chance to confront him over his problem-causing if she sees fit.

Asking now because I can write as much as needed today and tomorrow, but Friday around 8am until late Sunday I'm going to be in DC. This is a good thing though, that I'm desperately looking forward to, reading for the National tournament and I've been placed to read in Mount Vernon! Score!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #405
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Once this argument clears up (and maybe there's some Brinn conferencing), I'd like to move things to the next morning, if that's fine by everyone else...
Sounds like a good idea. This has been another interminable Day so far.

As for the argument, it looks like it's going to be settled by a higher power. Love it, Nerwen - pure rock'n'roll!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #406
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boro, I, too, would like to get this done sooner rather than later. If you can get a post up sometime this afternoon, I'll respond in the evening.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
This has been another interminable Day so far.
You haven't been over to Scarburg Meadhall, have you?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #407
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Sounds like a good idea. This has been another interminable Day so far.

As for the argument, it looks like it's going to be settled by a higher power. Love it, Nerwen - pure rock'n'roll!
Thanks. The first part of that post gave me a surprising amount of trouble: it's really quite hard to write a character complaining that other people aren't puppet-like enough without it sounding really, really evil.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #408
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
it's really quite hard to write a character complaining that other people aren't puppet-like enough without it sounding really, really evil.
Ah, that could be the twist ending. Asta is evil!

Anyway- post is up.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #409
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Ah, that could be the twist ending. Asta is evil!
Right! Stab her!

Seriously - writing post now, does anybody want to step in and keep Aldarion from drawing or is it OK for Coldan to recognize the tool?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #410
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
we'll probably cross, but I think it's ok. Sador's come up with a new internal racial jibe for Coldan by the way; I shall try and vary it from post to post from now on and look forward to the proper deployment of the word "Khanding"
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #411
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Most chivalrous behaviour on Sador's part!
I considered having Coldan launch himself at Aldarion and grapple for his sword hand (would have been much more consistent and dramatic), but with the bloody-mindedness phantom has been displaying recently, I decided not to take any risks.

I like Variag, by the way. I imagine Dorwinians and Easterlings a bit like Russians and Tatars, respectively, so it's quite fitting.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #412
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
does anybody want to step in and keep Aldarion from drawing
He already stopped himself from drawing, don't worry. The only way he'll pull it out is if Asta actually attempts to do him harm with her weapon. Perhaps I have given the wrong impression concerning his thirst for sword related violence?

Aldarion is in fact extremely careful, which is why it would be in character for him to kill someone (if that makes any sense). In other words, he doesn't wish to provoke violence (because of the risks involved to all parties), but he will swiftly attempt to kill or incapacitate (chop off arms/hands) if he is forced into it. Someone else swinging a weapon at him qualifies as "forcing" him into action, as quite clearly someone swinging a weapon at him is an attempt to kill or seriously maim him. Also I strongly suspect he'd give a lady, extremely old person, or child some benefit of doubt in such situations (i.e. he'd defend or use the flat of the blade).

So really, no need to worry about him going on a rampage. He's very business-like with his violence.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #413
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nerwen, when I said that Asta had a "dangerous" look, it could be Thiliel's interpretation and imagination. She could misenterpret any look into what she thinks the look should be.

Just thought I'd say that.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #414
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Hopefully Branor's melodramatic, solo performance of the events is amusing. Off to DC and Mount Vernon tomorrow! Yes I'm hyper this morning.

But there are bits of sincerity from Branor. I will add that everything expressed about Therian are Branor's own opinions of the young lad, and may or may not be the same as Therians.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #415
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Have a good time in DC, Boro!

I'm also leaving for a while. I'm gonna be away for a week starting on monday. I think I shouldn't have put Thiliel in the middle of everything just before I'd have to be away. If she doesn't finish all her conversations during the weekend, you can use her to do whatever you want.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #416
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
With B88 out of town this weekend, if anybody needs me, probably the easiest way to get a hold of me is via Facebook. I'm still inundated with Insane Life, but it's getting a lot more manageable, I think. So, for instance, Mnemo, if you wanted Brinn to confront Therian, we might be able to handle it via MSN or PM?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #417
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As previously stated, I'm also out of town, but the hotel has internet. Brinn's not in a hurry to get in touch with Therian right now, because he's not the one currently in a scuffly fight. But she probably will want to talk to him the next day, which will probably be quite a while from now IRL.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #418
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Mnemo- since neither Coldan nor Asta seems to have pursued Aldarion to stop him, you can go ahead and have him arrive at Brinn's wagon and talk with her, since that's where he was intending to go.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #419
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
As previously stated, I'm also out of town, but the hotel has internet. Brinn's not in a hurry to get in touch with Therian right now, because he's not the one currently in a scuffly fight. But she probably will want to talk to him the next day, which will probably be quite a while from now IRL.
Okay, perfect. I've kept up with the discussion thread, but not so much the game thread, and B88 is my key informant, so I just knew "Brinn is going to want to talk to Therian soon." Absolutely no rush for me. I'm still trying to get my head screwed on straight IRL.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #420
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I assumed that Aldarion would be at the wagons before Thiliel, since he left earlier. TP, if you had other plans than the direct route to Brinn, I can edit my post.

Fea, I hope that whatever it is in RL that causes you so much trouble is going to pass soon! Good luck!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #421
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
G55, I took the liberty of making your character leave the Common Room. Is that okay with you?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #422
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Just posting here to let people know I'm still reading... Daily writing for Amdír is a little beyond me a the moment, but the main reason for my radio silence is that we seem to have bogged down into a single evening, and since prior events of the day have made him mostly absent, it seems to make more storytelling sense for him to remain thus until the morrow.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #423
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

seconding Formendacil here, I fancy starting Day 3 ASAP, but perhaps that's the werewolf in me...

EDIT: Oh Coldan, you are sooo a Variag...

Last edited by Anguirel; 04-17-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #424
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So do I, and we very well might jump to Day 3. We can always flashback any Brinn conferences if necessary. That's the only thing that's holding us up now, isn't it?

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #425
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
G55, I took the liberty of making your character leave the Common Room. Is that okay with you?
It's fine. You've done her manner very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemo
So do I, and we very well might jump to Day 3. We can always flashback any Brinn conferences if necessary. That's the only thing that's holding us up now, isn't it?

Thoughts?

I was thinking of having a "story-time" with Thiliel and Ingold when she's done all her tasks, but that could happen another day. Plus, I won't have time to write everything before I leave.

I'm OK with going straight to D3.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #426
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thirded, but as I've been anything but innocent as far as cluttering the Day with complications goes, I shouldn't be complaining. (And to think we set out with the goal to complete this in two weeks RL-time! But as Mnemo reminded me, this is nothing compared to RPGs farther up north, where Days are rumoured to last half a year...)

X-ed with the lady Mnemobrindal herself. If we keep the Brinn conferences behind the scenes, I have a feeling we'll most probably never get around to flashing back to them. On the other hand, I wonder whether they're actually so necessary. Asta and Coldan are through the worst already, I think; Asta is feeling let down by Aldarion, but she can probably confront him on that by herself, if Nerwen wants her to; remains getting Aldarion and Coldan back on friendlier terms, and here some mediation by Brinn would have been helpful in my opinion. But maybe, if Coldan continues to mistrust Sador, and Aldarion not trusting him too much either IIRC, they could unite against a (perceived) common enemy? Or if that clashes with Ang's intentions, Brinn could somehow force them to work together, give them a common task or some such? So yeah, I think we can afford to move on.)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #427
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The one problem with skipping the conferences is that Brinn won't let that happen. But I agree that none of the other characters really need it at this point. So I might make one flashback post from Brinn's POV.

Let's move up a day, then.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #428
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Mnemo- the meeting Aldarion had with Brinn- what happened in it? I need to know the basics so that I have a better idea what Aldarion's mood is as he starts the new day.

After speaking to Brinn I'm figuring Aldarion went straight to his room to sleep. He has a very big day lined up. If anyone needs to catch him before he leaves, they will have to do it fairly soon, as he'll be going up to see Borondir mid morning, visiting Bregolas around mid afternoon, and then on to the other secret business that has been hinted at during the evening/night.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #429
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Speaking of Days... are we planning on playing out each individual Day or I am mistaken in thinking we still have close to two weeks until Opening Night? Or are we planning to jump a day or two, in game time?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #430
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Formy, we have one week in-game. Should be just enough that we can play each day out (maybe skip one of rehearsal?) without making the game tired.

Phantom, Brinn's going to want to hear what happened from Aldarion, from his point of view. But her main purpose is to defray all of the problems that have cropped up. Depending on the account he gives, she may question his intentions (though it hadn't really occurred to her that they were doing anything more than light flirting until this explosion happened) towards Asta, to see). If he gets all huffy about the madness of performing this play here, she'll kindly remind him that the play was developed far away from the centers of any sort of performance and was never intended for any of these high and mighty audiences, and then attempt to turn things around by saying that this really is his chance to make things right.

If you have time tonight before anyone else ducks in, we can play this out; otherwise, tomorrow morning IRL let's move the game ahead.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #431
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'll fill my save as soon as I'm home this evening.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #432
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

very nice and lightly done Mnemo...by the way, Elanor is actually 21, right, born on the first day of the Fourth Age, she just looks like a beautiful child because she's a halfling? I've been writing her dialogue as a youngish adult before this

I haven't got that much planned for Sador until the Secret Event featuring Aldarion; Asta or Brinn could ask him about the official revels, and I think it would be funny if Harrenon dogged his movements for a bit in obedience to Coldan's request

Inziladun, if you're about, I want to play out a subplot with Veandur and Cirdacil as well
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #433
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes, Ang, I'm referring to Elanor's height here, and she's just waiting for the opportunity to correct people and/or impress them with the fact that actually, she is a tween and a maid of the Queen, thank you very much.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #434
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Quote:
and I think it would be funny if Harrenon dogged his movements for a bit in obedience to Coldan's request
I'm on it. Only for a while since I don't really see him as the type to be following someone without rising suspicion. I'll have something ready by mid-afternoon.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #435
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Just letting you all know I'm alive... just the prolongation of this rpg colliding with the visit of my friends last week and the visit of my mum and my sister this week isn't doing much good to me. I will catch up with reading today (it can be my bedtime story) and I will try to write tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #436
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Formy, before I head off to work: if you get back to writing before I do, just assume Coldan has assented to Amdírs request and carry him along. It'll do him good to disentangle himself from goings-on at the inn for a while, and he'll be grateful for an excuse to avoid confronting Brinn a little longer.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #437
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Have added Sador's profile and a new one for Lady Aerwen to Cirdacil's character description linked on the front page...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #438
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Ang, I'm profoundly amused (and impressed). Not sure I see it all clearly yet, but that's a beautiful cabal taking shape!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #439
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Formy, before I head off to work: if you get back to writing before I do, just assume Coldan has assented to Amdírs request and carry him along. It'll do him good to disentangle himself from goings-on at the inn for a while, and he'll be grateful for an excuse to avoid confronting Brinn a little longer.
Sounds good... though you might just have a chance yet to reply ere I do.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #440
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

This is my last post until Sunday...

I'm leaving in a few minutes and I'll only be back late evening on Sunday, and I'm not sure I'd be able to post then. Feel free to have Thiliel run errands for you and do whatever. I'll catch up when I come back.