Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring Wight Fright: "Fog on the Barrow-Downs" Discussion Thread

Wight Fright: "Fog on the Barrow-Downs"

Wight Fright: "Fog on the Barrow-Downs" is an informal RP, which takes place in the Barrow-Downs around the year 2939 of the Third Age. A group of kids from Bree (a range of ages, but Edwin I suppose is about 13), have decided to go into the mysterious Downs for the sake of adventure...which they may well find.

Will they keep their wits about them and leave well before the sky begins to darken? Will they even find the Downs to be a safe place during daylight hours? Must they disturb a tomb to awaken the Barrow-wights, or are the spirits aware of their presence as soon as they step near their mounds?

Join the adventure, as a member of the party, or as a worried parent back home (especially as it grows later in the day...). Or, there's another way you can participate: roleplay the environment. What do our adventurers hear, see, or feel that might send chills down their spine? Maybe think of it in the style of a haunted house.*

Since this is an "informal RP," you do not need to post bios for your characters - just come up with a character in your head and post as them. Also, I may use 'Edwin' as my character at other times, but feel free to use him at will!

Anyone may post (regardless of whether or not you are a 'roleplayer' or are of 'Rohan status') - just follow the basic RPing rules for posting found in The Red Book of Westmarch.

Much credit to Bethberry, the originator of the past holiday informal RPs: The Veil Lifted, The Yule Log, and the Snowed Inn.

Just like Bethberry did, I am passing this completely off to the gamers. I'll try to participate as much as I can because I think it shall be fun, but this isn't a game that is run by anyone - all the writers will just work things out with each other as they go, and even if everyone ends up a little lost, it will be fun!

*(But on that note: No Barrow-wights popping out of tombs...yet? This isn't Zombieland, as much fun as that would be...if our adventurers were properly armed at least.)

Happy Halloween!

**EDIT: With the altering of the RP forums, this game falls under the "Character Driven" (or what have you) type game. It is still open to players and is also still open to people posting as the environment as described above.**

This RP will end once the children (Edwin, Jessamy, and whoever else if someone joins us) make it back to Bree-town to their parents.

Current Characters:

Edwin - Boy (Race: Man), about 12 or 13. -Durelin
Jessamy - Girl (Race: Man), a little younger? -Mithalwen
Karl - Man, upper 30s maybe. -Durelin
--Duke - Karl's dog
Willem - Man, mid-50s or so. -Evinyatar
--Jumble, Willem's dog

Current Time and Location:

Somewhere along/near the East Road near the Downs. Evening, about full dark. Perhaps starting to snow.

Last edited by Durelin; 03-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Presumably the youngsters may be either big folk or little?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Certainly! I don't see why not.

If anyone has any other questions or feels like I didn't give enough to start on, just let me know. I haven't set this sort of thing up before myself.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think this is splendid, Durelin. My compliments for a great idea and a wonderful contribution to the rpg forums. (fora?)

This past week has been absolutely mad for me with little time for any kind of fun writing activities but I hope the coming week will give me some time to participate. I've an idea or two for some posts.

Looking forward to seeing others join in as well!

EDIT: Hadn't realised it at the time, but this was my 5000th post!

Last edited by Bêthberry; 11-14-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Splendid... just for info which is Edwin. I have a character but prob won' tbe able to post for her till Monday now ..we I thought seh was mine but it occured to me when she was formed in my brain that she has some elements of Violet Elizabeth Bott . Maybe we'll find out if she can thcream and thcream until she's thick...

Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Edwin was just the boy I made up and used in my first post. He's about 13 years old, I'd say. I made him sorta the ring-leader/instigator, but he doesn't have to remain in that role. You can use him however you'd like.

Thank you so much, Bethberry! I'm very glad you like it, and I hope you don't mind me 'using' your idea - the credit for this kind of game is all yours.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I hope I'll be able to come up with a character and write a few posts, but I may be too busy... let's see. Anyhow, it looks wonderful!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Great idea, Durelin! Your encouragement to write as the environment inspired me to write from the point of view of an object. However, a post like that is not a good way to start interaction, so I will wait to put it up after at least one or two more "normal" posts are on the thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Edwin was just the boy I made up and used in my first post. He's about 13 years old, I'd say. I made him sorta the ring-leader/instigator, but he doesn't have to remain in that role. You can use him however you'd like.
Sorry, I realised that, I just wanted to know if he is a hobbit or big folk! I may be being thick but I didn't get an indicator from the post and since Bree is a mixed community...

Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry, I meant big-folk by saying 'boy,' but of course that's not specific at all. And you're absolutely right, it's not at all clear in the RP post...

And sorry for telling you again the obvious in my last post here. I'm just never sure if my RP posts are clear at all since they always feel vague and jumbled when I write them.

So Edwin is one of the big-folk. Sorry about that.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Don't worry I could have been a lot clearer in my question.. using correct punctuation for a start. If I had had to guess I would have thought big folk but I wanted to get it right when my character catches up with yours .

Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Thank you so much, Bethberry! I'm very glad you like it, and I hope you don't mind me 'using' your idea - the credit for this kind of game is all yours.
Not at all--ideas are for sharing, especially rpging and a great deal of credit belongs to you for starting this. I'm dragging but still hoping to post.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry - I remembered that having all the paperwork ready to roll was not exactly the same as completing and filing my tax return...and with a threatened postal strike I couldn't push the deadline as much as usual . Anyway my fiscal duties now done I shall get on with my planned post...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Lol, I don't care if this thread sits with now...one reply to it (yay Bethberry! creative character, as usual...she'll be an interesting 'encounter,' hehe) and doesn't go any further. I have been crazy busy myself lately...I just have been in a creative, RPing sort of mood, and am using RPing stuff to avoid doing work.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Don't say that Dury, I ended up writing screeds longhand last night, far too much for a first post but all of which may come in handy later. Now to type some of it up.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have followed up on Bb and Mithalwen's posts with one written from an unorthodox point of view. (The italics were used to show that these are unspoken, unnarrated thoughts.) I hope you enjoy it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Hahaha, I like it! Oh the worry and stress of a bodice...I've shoved myself into the same one a couple times each year for 5 years now and some years it's more of a struggle than others...

Thank you for posting and for your creativity everyone!

Edwin's seen something (maybe someone?), and been bumped into...the easiest way to initiate interaction, the ol' bumping into someone trick...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I just realized that my rep status is "trapped in the barrow" - how appropriate!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Just a note.. Jessamy is one of the big folk... not a hobbit despite living near Staddle. Sorry.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Fail. Sorry. Fixed it.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No problem... one day I must try to write a hobbit but I have a mental block about hairy feet...

Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Wow, I'm away for a weekend and this game starts moving! Great posts--and a hilarious pov, Esty!

I'll have to clear some space on my work table before I can write another post . . .
Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I hope my post is actually good for continuing. I didn't want to take it any further myself. And apologies - it is 1 am here, so I blame that for crazy ideas and anything that doesn't make sense.

And sorry it took me a bit to respond.

*general poke around* Anyone even glancing at this want to join in? There's sooo much room!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It would be nice to have a couple more at least and not too late at all for people to post as children. *looks hopeful*

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #25
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

I second--third--the invitation to others to join in.

And I also hope my latest post isn't a stinker.

Sorry it's so short, but the action seemed to require speed rather than deliberation.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Um so the creature is a skunk? How big are they - I've only seen cartoon ones... wikipedia time.... ok so could be anything from a squirrel on steroids to a small badger ...eeek

Old 11-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Well, I think I extradited the plot from the skunk, but who knows?

I'll wait for others to post as I don't want to run the plot my self.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #28
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I apologize for not posting for so long. Nearing the end of the semester, and I'm letting all the work and stress rule my life a bit. I'll try and post tonight.

And thank you both for the fun posts. I promise I haven't abandoned this!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry I haven't gone either -it is just that I have been unwell - hopefully I am now on the mend and will post .
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #30
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Glad to hear you are on the mend, Mithalwen. And Durelin, don't add to the semester's stress. We can enjoy this game and not feel pressured. I just didn't want it look like I was hogging things.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ok I have posted for Jessamy.. and am preparing a "meanwhile back on the farm " post which I will try to put up tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #32
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing, but I posted. Haha. I'll try and get some actual plot going myself...I just need an idea that will work to bring everyone back 'together' in some way or another...
Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ok have posted for Jess and I have assumed that there have always been Butterburs at the pony.... I didn't forget the date!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #34
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Hmm. So I think I am going to introduce a new character. Hopefully that will come soon, and it will be interesting.

Btw, anyone can still jump in at anytime and even completely hijack this thing. Well, don't use anyone's characters (except you may use mine), but go ahead and throw a major wrench in things! What else lurks in barrows besides skunks? Do wolves really leave the Old Forest to hunt in the middle of the afternoon?

Unless you all (you all meaning you two) are ready to call this quits. I'm not asking because I want to call it quits, just asking because I am afraid this hasn't been as interesting as I would have liked it to be...and it is all of a sudden December...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No I don't .... I just kept forgetting my data stick with half a post on. I wish there were more involved but I am enjoying it...

Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #36
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Sorry, December means a busier season but count me in still. Will try to post something soon.

Nice work on the recent posts, too. I'll have to put some thought to this. *mad laughter*
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think Jessamy may be deceived by the lie of the land and perhaps a spur of the forest at its top edge (Barbara Strachey shows a bulge in the wood line and I will take the liberty of thinking maybe 80 years earlier it was greater...) or maybe her fears are realised and the old forest isn't such a fixed entity!

Jessamy has managed to land herself in my consciousness so clearly, dragging her family and backstory that I will have to write her story regardless.. at the moment I "know" more about what will happen when her family realise she isn't where she is supposed to be than about herself but I am getting a few ideas now between wolves and wights and wandering woods...

Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ok sorry for the delay...I had the foolish idea of trying to make a few presents and I may have been too ambitious Hope to post something tomorrow that doens't exactly raise the alarm but indicates that Jessamy isn't quite where she is thought to be
Old 12-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'm sorry it's been so long. Hope you're having good luck with those Christmas presents! I always love the idea of making gifts but am really the least crafty person. I can manage...cards? (I can't believe it's Christmas eve tomorrow!)

I admit completely that I am not paying much (any?) attention to geography...or realism...or avoiding cliches...

I have posted nothing very exciting. But my new character may have heard Jessamy, and the dog may have heard/smelled her and is interested. Perhaps she could be familiar with him?

I'm not really sure about Karl. He's from Bree, but I have him in my head as an oddball, old enough that he should be married but lives alone, no family connections that anyone knows of, etc. He ventures regularly into the Old Forest, he's got to be a bit of an odd duck. And of course he has the typical, loveable would-be hunting dog that's really just more interested in licking and cuddling with things.

Leaving it open (the dog could run into someone completely new...! what better introduction than an also cliched spin on the ol' bump-into by chance someone important to the plot intro), and meanwhile trying to think of more interesting things/any sort of direction for this!

(this is about to get longer than my RP post...)

Thought - since it's nearly Christmas, maybe it should snow and we combine/transition into a spooky winter holiday? Do I sense a happy ending involving a snowball fight?

Last edited by Durelin; 12-23-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It gives me some ideas but I have snuck on to someone else,s puter to escape the culinary hell that is christmas pudding.. will try to prep something but may not actually get to post for a couple of days yet *sigh*. Sorry .. did get present done just but was knitting like a loon til gone three.. so not up to posting now..