The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Unusual Games Workshop Miniatures

Games Workshop produces a Lord of the Rings miniature wargame based on the movies. While I unfortunately don't have the spare time or money to spend on this fascinating hobby at the moment, I like to check out the minis. While browsing their site, I came across a few neat figures that aren't in the movies:

Bombadillo, Goldberry, and some Barrow-Wights
Radagast
The ever-popular Glorfindel
Elladan and Elrohir

There are dozens of other, more traditional, characters on the site as well.

Does anyone play this game? Give feedback here if you do.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I do not play it, but I have seen it being played many times. Games Workshop has had a booth at every Tolkien related convention that I have attended. At Comic-Con they had a large booth, with a very large battlefield. I have never participated, because, well it is just not my cup-of-tea. But it is interesting to watch.

I am mostly interested in the landscapes that they play on because at the conventions the ones that they use are very detailed with mountains and buildings and trees. And at Comic-Con they had about 300 figures on the battlefield at one time. If I remember correctly, I think they use a set of dice to determine order of turns/number of figures moved at a time etc. But other than that I am pretty clueless about the actual rules of the game.

I hope that at least a little of my information is helpful to you [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 04:57 AM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Is a good game to play and the rules are more simple than the other versions of Warhammer. The models are lovely to paint, even if they are quite expensive. I have loadz of the LOTR ones as that is what got me into Warhammer.

I am slight peeved at some of the non-movie models as they are drifting back to standard warhammer kinda features.

'Moria Goblin Shaman' What the heck is that?

The Radagast, Glorfindel and the Ellies are ok though.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I used to collect these things actually and, in a way, i wish that i still did. But as other people have said, the hobby is very expensive and time consuming with all the miniatures you have to paint. It is still enjoyable though.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I think they use a set of dice to determine order of turns/number of figures moved at a time etc.
I have the misfortune of having spent a fortune on Warhammer models as a child and the rules are generally as follows:
Each figure has a set of statistics that denote how fast it moves, well it shoots and fights etc.
Dice are employed to determine the outcomes of fights within a battle.

Incidentally, Games Workshop originally started making Tolkein miniatures ages ago (early 80s, late 70s off the top of my head), but they were stopped from producing them when some other company bought the rights or something funny, there was a big lawsuit type deal.

I went to their HQ a couple of years ago and they had the models on display, you could get a 'Fellowship boxed set' (including Bill the Pony!) and a 'Nazgul boxed set' which I think you could build as either the flying kind or land-based kind. I tired to buy some but they were the only surviving models, I think the molds even had to be destroyed!