Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #3401
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I am LMP or Elempi, Foley.
Didn't this happen before, actually? Wasn't it even Folwren who did that?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #3402
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your turn Saeryn.

Yes, that's on purpose.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #3403
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eodwine
And she had better not insist that we talk right here, he thought.
Okay, so what's really funny about this line is that when I first read the post, I didn't see this part, but my first thought was, "Ooooh, what if she doesn't want to go and tries to make him stay and talk it out there?" So, when I got back on today and checked the post again and I saw the last line, I said to myself, "Did he edit that in after reading my mind?"

Anyway...post comin' up.

-- Foley
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #3404
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Your turn Saeryn.

Yes, that's on purpose.
And I didn't even notice until the third or fourth time reading it.

Okay, I posted. I won't bother to apologize about it being rough and all because you'll just say "It's fine", but I think it's lame. Anyway, the important thing is that she said what I wanted her to say. Eodwine sure does know his wife.

Elempi, if you respond tonight or tomorrow morning, I should be able to post before too late tomorrow afternoon, but this weekend my internet will be spotty.

-- Folwren

P.S. I want to add, in case you're wondering and thinking about it: as the writer, I personally do not want them to stick around with Rowenna. I'd much rather write it between Eodwine and Saeryn alone. I just wrote what I did because that's most like Saeryn........So I guess that means you'll have to write what's most like Eodwine. Never mind.

Last edited by Folwren; 09-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #3405
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Exactly who is this Quin fellow? Seems to me he's channeling Thornden.

There's no rush. I need to think about how Eodwine would react to that. Kind of funny how Saeryn's lumping her husband in with men.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #3406
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I love that the story is picking up steam again. Nice writing, everybody.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #3407
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Firefoot - I would rep you on your last post if I could. That was hilarious.

Elempi, I'll see if I can get a post up before leaving this afternoon.

-- Folwren
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #3408
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I must say, I can really appreciate Léof's perspective on this little Mead-Hall situation. Apparently, Saeryn doesn't understand that her husband is not the type to force his will on her. We shall see how this goes, eh?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #3409
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I must say, I can really appreciate Léof's perspective on this little Mead-Hall situation. Apparently, Saeryn doesn't understand that her husband is not the type to force his will on her. We shall see how this goes, eh?
I think she knows that for real, but right now she doesn't see it. As I was writing my last post, I wanted to find a way to say somehow that she's unwittingly comparing him to other men she's dealt with - her brother, Athanar, the landlords - who are much more likely to force their wills on her than Eodwine. However, that was impossible because she wouldn't see it for herself, so I couldn't write it as part of her reflections or thoughts.

So now you know what at least I am thinking.

-- Folwren
Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #3410
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Gwath, that was a nice bit of spice to indeed "stir" the dialogue (the word "kick" would have been better). My initial reaction was that Hilderinc would probably hit Crabannan with something

I think anybody can pick up on that... on anything that's happened, anyway... I think the people can't be oblivious to such outbursts from two people in a row at least inside their heads
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #3411
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I've always had a bit of difficulty finding things for Crabannan to do, since he's such an outsider. May as well throw him into arguments with angry men with axes.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #3412
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I've always had a bit of difficulty finding things for Crabannan to do, since he's such an outsider. May as well throw him into arguments with angry men with axes.
Well, if there isn't anything better? I mean, I had a similar problem in some way, Hilderinc is also by design a quiet character. But he has certain tasks to do, which forces him to interact with people, and so he does. I think it works quite well that way.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #3413
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Good point. That's the issue with Crabannan: he has literally nothing to do. Also, he has no friends and very few ideals, and with nothing to care about, it's difficult to find motivation for him to engage in conflict - which is what story is all about, in the end.

So here's to getting the Long-Raven more involved!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #3414
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Good point. That's the issue with Crabannan: he has literally nothing to do. Also, he has no friends and very few ideals, and with nothing to care about, it's difficult to find motivation for him to engage in conflict - which is what story is all about, in the end.
Yes... but I think you might be able to find something for him, some "hobby", or let him stumble upon something and get tangled into some problem he might not even want to be part of. Or let him be "dragged into" something by others. If you let him involve in a dialogue or two - let's say with a character who keeps talking to him or asking him about something - he will have to react (if only by responding). And then he might form his opinions on somebody, and he can e.g. start liking or hating some character(s) and then he can start reacting or react more strongly whenever they are around... So other players can help you a lot with making him a more active person, if you want it, I am sure.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #3415
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

That's exactly right.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #3416
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I edited my last post to incorporate some stuff Elempi asked me to add.

-- Folwren
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #3417
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Just a reminder:

Please remember to remove signatures from all posts to the Meadhall RPG thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #3418
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Thanks. I've been forgetting to do that.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #3419
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Is fun to see Scyld prodding Crabannan.

I've started a co-post with Foley for the Saeryn/Eodwine conversation.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #3420
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I love the little remarks on Anglo-Saxon vs Latinate etymology, LMP.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #3421
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Even though he still uses the word "mixed" Anyway, I think it is practically impossible to use a completely "pure Anglo-Saxon" language. After all, English contains a lot of Latin since the time of Caesar and company. But yes, there are more and less obvious words, for sure.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #3422
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

For sure.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #3423
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor on the game thread
Eodwine is back, but he'll never be eorl again...barring disaster."
When I read this, after my first initial thought (which I won't post), my second thougt was, "Oh, why do I have such evil ideas?" I hereby promise I will not try to arrange some disaster.

-- Foley
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #3424
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Anything could happen...
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #3425
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Thanks. I have fun with it. I certainly don't mean any criticisms toward anyone else by it. It's just something I learned about and love knowing, and enjoy playing with it.
Quote:
I hereby promise I will not try to arrange some disaster.
How funny, Foley!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #3426
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I will be on vacation until 9/19 with no internet access. I hope to see some more on the thread when I get back.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #3427
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'm not totally happy with my post for Scyld, but I wanted to keep the conversation moving. I thought about continuing it longer but realized I wasn't totally sure how the others would respond to a (somewhat inappropriate?) jest on Scyld's part, so I let it hang... if it's too difficult a hook to work with I can add more in.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #3428
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm back from the weekend retreat thing I went to. What needs to happen next to get something rolling again?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #3429
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I'm back from the weekend retreat thing I went to. What needs to happen next to get something rolling again?
I hope the only thing that needs to be done is to gather people up again I have been busy with a lot of exams, but now I am free again. I will look into the stuff... I don't know if we wish to make the chat of the men during the building process any longer, or if we want to move one with stuff? Maybe we could also kick the events a bit with some, hmm, "action". Like, something slightly dynamic. I will think about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3430
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

There needs to be some kind of reply to Javan from one of the men working.

Other than that, I'm ready for a change in time of day.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #3431
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I hope the only thing that needs to be done is to gather people up again I have been busy with a lot of exams, but now I am free again. I will look into the stuff... I don't know if we wish to make the chat of the men during the building process any longer, or if we want to move one with stuff? Maybe we could also kick the events a bit with some, hmm, "action". Like, something slightly dynamic. I will think about it.
How dynamic do you mean? Nothing as dynamic as a 'disaster', like Crabannan suggested (or was it Scyld?), I hope. I don't really want Athanar to go.

btw, Lhuna and Elempi, is Randver going to send another letter now that Eodwine has come back?

-- Folwren
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3432
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
btw, Lhuna and Elempi, is Randver going to send another letter now that Eodwine has come back?
I hadn't thought about it. Randver doesn't know Eodwine's back. Why would Randver send another letter? Would he maybe just show up? I don't know, just thinking "out loud"...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #3433
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'd be down with finishing up the conversation at the sheep pen and then moving time forward a bit.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #3434
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good post, Firefoot. I'm good with how that ended, it seemed to wrap it up pretty well.

So, where do we want to launch forward to?

-- Folwren
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #3435
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I know there was supposed to be a feast to celebrate Eodwine's returning - do we want to do anything with that?

I for one am looking forward to some Scyld/Rowenna interaction - I don't want to jump too far ahead without that... Elempi? Thoughts?

As a side note, I sent a pm to Nogrod about two weeks ago and he never responded, and it's been a month since he posted on the Downs... kind of unfortunate, since Athanar was sort of centrally featured in all this drama. I guess I'll go forth with Leof as if he had his conversation with Athanar and it went well.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #3436
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

That was a hilarious post, Firefoot! Loved it.

As to Scyld/Rowenna, that would be great. Mid-day meal may be one way. On the other hand, she has no real duties as of yet, it being her first day back. I'll think about this. I am a bit busy for the next two days, so I won't post until Friday and the earliest.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #3437
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Rand has no reason to, from his perspective. He has nothing more to say on the matter of Ginna's romantic pursuits, and he is unaware that his letter had caused chaos. He does have a good reason to drop by, though. Unfortunately, his writer is about to start a toxic month-long rotation (oh, make that two) and most likely would hardly have any time to write. But in case you really need her for some reason, you know how to reach her.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 09-21-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #3438
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I jumped time forward to the evening for the feast.

About the letter, I remember talking about Rand hearing about Eodwine's return, so once he knows for certain that Saeryn isn't going to try to get Thornden (or however you want to look at it), he might try to suggest to Thornden to marry Ginna.

-- Foley
Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #3439
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I want to do a post featuring Rowenna and Aldric, but I don't know anything about Aldric except for what's been written about him lately. Any help would be great.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #3440
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The previous scene that I referenced with Aldric was this one, where Eodwine was being discussed:
Quote:
“He has had a long journey,” chided another soldier. “Besides, now he’s got that pretty young wife of his to care for him. I’d get sick too if I could get in on some of that.” A round of laughter followed this comment.

“Enjoy it better if you weren’t sick,” someone chimed in, and the laughter rose louder.
He could be either of those two soldiers. I'm imagining him as the sort who thinks himself quite the ladies' man, but is pretty rough around the edges (especially when he's only in the company of other soldiers/men). Basically... he really likes women, and he's not afraid to risk rejection. He's also not real particular, but the prettier the better.

There's a lot of room for you to work with, Elempi - he's not very developed at all and I just created him for the sake of having someone to bounce dialog off of. Have fun.

Also, Folwren, I think that what Leof does now is going to be dependent a bit on what Quin's up to. If Leof thinks that Quin is going to feel at all uncomfortable being around him because of their earlier conversation, he'll sit somewhere else. Let the awkwardness ensue...