Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #3881
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What do we need to get started?

I propose that all those with thoughts on the question above, say what they think, and after about a week (or less?) I'll draw them together in a rough priority list which anyone is encouraged to respond to with proposed revisions or a thumbs up or whatever.

Ready, go!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #3882
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A question occurred to me last night - how far along after the Fell Winter would we jump to? The end of the winter? Early/late spring? Is the winter going to be mainly flashback, or are we going to "live through" at least part of it in "real time"?

As for what we need to get started - we already have an outline, we just have to decide to what extent we want to either flesh it out or leave it brief and vague. (For the record, I vote for fleshing out). Potentially decide for sure which characters are gonna be gone. Think of where exactly we will be starting and what the characters would look like at that point. And off we go. We've already done a lot of that in parts.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-16-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #3883
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think I've said all I need to say on where I'm at. I've already started writing an intervening post for Scyld; all that really needs to be settled for him is the length of the jump. Same with Leof, though I think his story fitting the jump will be relatively uneventful and much more quickly summed up. I'm on vacation for the next week but I'll try to pop in when I can and comment here if need be. Eager to get going again!
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #3884
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Someone's going to have to tell me what the Fell Winter is. I feel ignorant asking.

Elempi,, I propose, in answer to your questions that first, we decide how many years it is we are going to jump (did we all agree on 5?), and then second, we do as Firefoot is doing and each of us write posts for what happened to our characters in the between time.

We may need to know big key events, for instance - did we indeed decide that Athanar left and Eodwine took up his role as eorl again? Which characters left and why? I think those are the only two things that will affect my characters.

And we might even want to know what kind of natural events occurred.

Any deaths in the hall? That'd be interesting.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #3885
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Someone's going to have to tell me what the Fell Winter is. I feel ignorant asking.
A winter of our invention that would create drama and cause a few deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
We may need to know big key events, for instance - did we indeed decide that Athanar left and Eodwine took up his role as eorl again? Which characters left and why? I think those are the only two things that will affect my characters.

As per Nog's post:

Quote:
1# year

The Mead Hall was more or less built within a year after we left writing the story (I think it was not yet ready when we ceased writing and there were some major things to do & to change according to Athanar's plans). Saeryn will give birth.

The things settled down a bit even if there were some occasional rifts and a few people were given minor penalties by lord Athanar's court because of misbehaviour.

The local lords were licking their wounds and having their own internal power-struggles so they were not able or willing to cause any trouble.

2# year

There could then have been a period of a lot of travelers the next year because of king Aragorn's trip, and the local lords would have been nice and relaxed as there were a lot of folk around & revenue to be made etc. A year of prosperity and relationships getting better within the Mead Hall.

3# year

The year of problems in the east. With king Eomer's muster also the Mead Hall would have been forced to give away a host of soldiers - both lord Eodwine's and lord Athanar's men (more of the latter as Athanar rode in with a larger host of active-duty soldiers).

It might even be lord Athanar would have been summoned by king Eomer to lead a force of rohirrim from those parts of Rohan (as king Eomer knew that Eodwine was getting better but not well enough to lead cavalry into a battle - but he trusted Eodwine would nevertheless be in good condition enough to run the hall). At least Athanar's sons would be summoned...

Local lords are called for as well (under the command of Athanar?) and so they are not doing any plotting or things like that this year.

4# year

The killer-winter -year (I'd prefer a harsh winter to a plague, but if most people think plague is better I'm fine with it).

Understaffed the Mead Hall suffers greatly because of the winter. Other local lords / their farmsteads suffer as well. Everyone suffers as death walks around randomly here and there.

Here we get rid of characters no one will be writing any more.

5# year

The end of the fell winter... This might also be the place we start our writing!

A nice place for the new characters to join the Mead Hall - refugees, wanderers, travelers... caught up by the harsh winter and trying to find shelter / been kicked out of former shelters, coming back from the war in the east etc.

Lord Athanar could be dead - or maybe promoted to a Field Marshal, or given a new eorlship... whatever. But we'd be rid of him from the story. Those left behind of Athanar's men could be ordered by king Eomer to stay under the command of Eodwine... and maybe one or two of his sons would join the Mead Hall after the battles...
That's the outline of the main events.

Quote:
Yes. A couple during the Fell Winter - Theolain for sure, one of Stigen's/Garstan's folk, potentially characters whose writers have disappeared a very long time ago. Wulfric is going to die in the war in the East, and Wilheard will return with the trauma. Who did I miss? I'm sorry if I forgot anyone's character. I think these are the only deaths that were decided on more or less for certain.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #3886
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is this Fell Winter something we're making up, or is it in the history of the Fourth Age? Apologies if this question could be answered by simple research; I don't have my sources with me.

I've contacted Lhunardawen, who says that she will not be able to write. I've asked her to let us know what she wants done with her characters.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #3887
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't believe there's any canonical basis for the winter
Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #3888
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'm still rooting for a three year jump but I think the vote is turning against me.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #3889
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:

(...)

The point was to "clean up" the Hall a bit; Athanar and many of his household leave, while some stay, and also some old old characters who no longer have players etc could be dumped, either by leaving with Athanar, or on their own, or in some cases (if the player wishes so) can die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Is this Fell Winter something we're making up, or is it in the history of the Fourth Age? Apologies if this question could be answered by simple research; I don't have my sources with me.
I don't know who first used the term "Fell Winter", maybe it was me, but the point was merely to use it as simple term for Nogrod's suggestion of a really evil winter (local, it doesn't mean it has to be nearly as bad anywhere else even in all parts of Rohan), during which some characters might even die, and also it brings all the Scarburgians finally together personally, since they'd have to cooperate and will share the terrible experience - starvation, isolation, illnesses etc.

As for the years: I am fine with 3, would prefer 5, and the original idea was even like 10 but mostly it seems rather long.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #3890
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, great, thanks, Gal55. (Do you have a BD nickname that I've just forgotten?) I appreciate you reposting Nogrod's post for me.

That all sound really good.

In regards to years - I don't care if it's 3 or 5 years, really. 5 year olds are more fun to write than 3 year olds, I think, so I'll enjoy writing for Saeryn's kids more if we go 5 years, but it'll be fine either way.

When are we starting?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #3891
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Ok, great, thanks, Gal55. (Do you have a BD nickname that I've just forgotten?)
Tons! But don't worry - I've been nicknamed all sorts of short forms of Galadriel, so Gal55 fits right in there.

Quote:
In regards to years - I don't care if it's 3 or 5 years, really. 5 year olds are more fun to write than 3 year olds, I think, so I'll enjoy writing for Saeryn's kids more if we go 5 years, but it'll be fine either way.
Speaking of which, what kind of twins are they? Both boys? Identical? Or do you want to hold that back until they're actually born in-game? I think we just kind of assumed that the child is a boy, but having twins means there are two genders to decide on.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 AM   #3892
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm fine with starting anytime, really, and could try to update my character bios asap. Just noting that I'll be away from May 27th to June 1st.

What about the actual new threads? Who is going to start them and make the organizational posts? *waves into darkness* Is Pio around? Or can LMP start the threads?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 AM   #3893
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Start the threads? Do we need a new one? Or are you just talking about starting a new post?

Firefoot, it really doesn't matter to me, either, whether it's 3 or 5 years. Could you express your thoughts in favor of 3 years?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #3894
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Start the threads? Do we need a new one? Or are you just talking about starting a new post?
We were talking about starting a new game thread and possibly also a new discussion thread to symbolize the fresh start and make it more appealing to new and old players, as well as to reflect the time jump. I got the picture more or less everyone was for the idea...?

If we're *not* starting new threads, we should at least get a hold of pio and ask her to edit the first posts of this thread, seeing as we should update the mod list, the character list and the timeline. At the moment it's very misleading and un-newbie friendly.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #3895
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Also, if anyone wants their child characters to have stunted growth or lowered IQ because of malnutrition (okay that sounds really mean) or have their characters suffered an illness that's linked to malnutrition, check out this Wikipedia article. I would also remind you that it's a unique opportunity to give your characters missing body parts thanks to frostbite.

*the storm crow flutters away*
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #3896
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I can see the point of new threads. Pio will have to start them. If I started them, they would not be vetted by the moderators.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #3897
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Re: The timeshift - basically I feel like Scyld has a lot of changing and developing to do that I don't want to completely gloss over but I also don't want him to be unrealistically stagnant for too long. I can think of how to account for three years - if we do five, I'll just stretch it out but I'm not as happy about it.

Quote:
I would also remind you that it's a unique opportunity to give your characters missing body parts thanks to frostbite.
Good call - and if anyone has questions or needs resources on amputation/prostheses, let me know - that's what I do for work.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #3898
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I just had enough time to update my characters - I daresay Theolain needs a better character description now that he's seven! Here's the character post, with updates in italics:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=3524
Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #3899
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Update for Scyld here: http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/sho...&postcount=207

Not sure Leof really needs an update - original bio here: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=101

Anything happening in the intervening years I'll cover in in-character posts.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #3900
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Question - is there any particular time in the year when we're going to "cut" to post the in-between posts? I'm just thinking that it would be a bit awkward if we all pre-plan/write those posts ahead of time, and it would end up happening that one person posts about midsummer just after another person described the beautiful snow that has been falling down for days. I think we should either designate the "cut" time each year, or else, for each of the years, notify everyone about what time of year your post comes in so that we can post them in the correct order of season / weather.

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #3901
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry, but I've been away for five days on a work-trip and then had to catch up with my normal duties...

But as Legate said the "fell winter" was just a word coined to label one extremely bad winter that would help us get rid of extra characters from the Mead Hall - and add some therapeutic unity to the otherwise quarrelsome and torn place as they have needed to have survived it together.

I think it would be okay if people wished to come up with occurences during that winter by themselves in their posts after we start (like making their characters reminiscing of them or making some characters talking of them) and we others would then take them as given. So there would be no need for any details we'd need to come up with beforehand - except maybe a list of those who died (or disappeared).

Also my suggestion for the five years G55 kindly quoted was basically meant as nothing more but an initial suggestion, as one possible scenario.

~*~

If I'm not wrong, it seems only Scyld would benefit of a jump less than 5 years. That would suggest we'd make it five - which conclusion surely doesn't make Firefoot happy - but if the changes for all (or most) others are better with a 5-year jump I do think we should go with that.

A 5-year jump would give us an opportunity to include all our three ideas about the time jumped over into the plot (Aragorn's trip & the following good times and lot of people around, the muster of Rohan taking a lot of soldiers away & giving a reason to take Athanar away, and the terrible winter, the hardships and disaster it brings along & the healing effect it will have on the small community of the Mead Hall).

Also many characters would be so much more interesting to write if they'd need to go through some change or be of enough age (with the latter I'm thinking of Saeryn's twins: five year -olds are surely something more funny to write than three year -olds).

~*~

I'm also for a new thread if it is doable, mostly on reasons Lommy already voiced. It would get things clearer for old writers and more inviting (and less cryptic and insider-kind of thing) for the new writers.

Also I think that a couple of year's real-time pause, a five-year time-jump and a re-instating of the original patron to the Mead Hall are reason enough to start a third edition of the Mead Hall.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #3902
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Question - is there any particular time in the year when we're going to "cut" to post the in-between posts?
I think I suggested the ending of the hard winter. That might be an easy and a productive way to start as everyone would have their characters needing to go through their thoughts about going from hardship, anguish, and death into a new hope. It could be seen as a kind of a turning point. And there would be a lot to do to get things rolling again.

So a spring then?

Maybe a late one if the winter has been really long and bad. The snow melting, temperatures coming on the plus side (centigrade), green shyly coming forwards... A late April spring?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #3903
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I like the springtime start.

Quote:
Question - is there any particular time in the year when we're going to "cut" to post the in-between posts? I'm just thinking that it would be a bit awkward if we all pre-plan/write those posts ahead of time, and it would end up happening that one person posts about midsummer just after another person described the beautiful snow that has been falling down for days. I think we should either designate the "cut" time each year, or else, for each of the years, notify everyone about what time of year your post comes in so that we can post them in the correct order of season / weather.
Seconded. So for me, Scyld I'm writing about the lead-up to his departure from the hall (so basically right where the current RPG leaves off), but then everything else I'll cover retrospectively wherever we pick up. Leof I'll just write retrospectively.

Last edited by Firefoot; 05-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #3904
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm happy with Springtime, but should it be the springtime right after the Fell Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal55
Speaking of which, what kind of twins are they? Both boys? Identical? Or do you want to hold that back until they're actually born in-game? I think we just kind of assumed that the child is a boy, but having twins means there are two genders to decide on.
Oh. I don't know. Elempi, any thoughts on that? I kind of feel they'll be as much yours as mine.

I know four sets of twins - one set of identical boys (I think they were identical, anyway), one set of girls (though I never really got to know them), and two sets of boy and girl twins. I've been able to observe those two very close hand for the past three years, as they're at my school, and one set was actually in my class this year.

We haven't had any twins in this RPG have we?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #3905
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think I suggested the ending of the hard winter. That might be an easy and a productive way to start as everyone would have their characters needing to go through their thoughts about going from hardship, anguish, and death into a new hope. It could be seen as a kind of a turning point. And there would be a lot to do to get things rolling again.

So a spring then?

Maybe a late one if the winter has been really long and bad. The snow melting, temperatures coming on the plus side (centigrade), green shyly coming forwards... A late April spring?
Hmm, I meant more about any posts we might do in between now and then - during the jump. I threw out the idea that we could pause on each year for a couple characters to post about what's been going on with them lately, which would help keep track of both the plot and the character development. There was some murmur of agreement and no opposing voices, so it kind of floated off. Do most people then want to just jump straight to the final spring, without any brief updates in between?

PS: Harreld and Garreth are twins (right?)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:54 AM   #3906
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I think it would be okay if people wished to come up with occurences during that winter by themselves in their posts after we start (like making their characters reminiscing of them or making some characters talking of them) and we others would then take them as given. So there would be no need for any details we'd need to come up with beforehand - except maybe a list of those who died (or disappeared).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hmm, I meant more about any posts we might do in between now and then - during the jump. I threw out the idea that we could pause on each year for a couple characters to post about what's been going on with them lately, which would help keep track of both the plot and the character development. There was some murmur of agreement and no opposing voices, so it kind of floated off. Do most people then want to just jump straight to the final spring, without any brief updates in between?
It would really depend. Personally I think in any case, we will - and I daresay we even should - end up with some reminiscences of the past five years coming up from time to time in reminiscences and inside thoughts of our characters, because that is also a handy "literary device". So at least for some time, I'd expect such things to pop up once in a while, because I am sure people would have stuff to tell about the past winters.

But as for having some separate posts for in-between, that's also not necessarily bad, I think it all just depends on how we want to organise things. Nogrod's idea has probably the advantage of that everybody just can start writing whatever they want, and fill in the details about the past years in their own pace. The downside of it is that there is no clear control of the flow of information, i.e. if something major has happened to some characters, and their writers want everyone to know, they should make certain that everyone knows perhaps even on the discussion thread. Just so that we don't end up with one person writing how they greeted Harreld and shook his hand merrily, only later learning that Harreld had lost his hand to frostbite the previous winter. (You get the idea.) We probably should also get a clearer list of which characters are around and which are not, I think the list Firefoot made some posts back was a good start for orientation.

Maybe I am slightly in favour of the "flashback-insertion" style Nogrod suggests, it might make the initial posts a bit messy, but then it should also keep the writing flowing as we at the same time struggle to start up some things happening in "real life" at the current time at Mead Hall. Speaking of which, we can probably start with the reminiscing and stuff, but eventually we should also return to what we've been talking about earlier, inventing some sort of more coherent "plot" we'd eventually strive for.

In any case, I am also for starting the new thread for all the reasons already mentioned above a couple of times; can we get a hold of one of the mods somehow? A PM?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #3907
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't disagree about the benefits of reminiscing (and I think that's exactly how most of the events could be covered), but I'm in favour of doing some in-between posts in addition to the flashbacks. My reasons are mostly personal - I would prefer to slip in at least one post from Theolain's perspective, before he kicks the bucket. I mean, I'd love to slip in more posts from both my characters' perspectives, but I can make adjustments for those and think of a way to flashback their story. However, even if I delay Theolain's death until springtime, he would realistically probably already be unconscious / feverish / not in any condition to flashback for a long time. And I would have preferred to write his death in real-time (but if necessary, that's also adjustable).

But also, we have so many other characters leaving. Like, don't you want to post one last post from someone's POV before they go? It's true that these things can be reflected on later, but sometimes there is merit in posting one last post from, say, Athanar who says goodbye to a good chunk of his people. Also, while some events can be done in retrospect, I don't think it hurts to have f.ex. one real-time post that reflects the completion of the Mead Hall, or any of the other points of notice during the jump.

I get that I'm trying to stuff a storyline of Theolain growing up and becoming a completely different person during a time-jump, which is not the greatest idea, but I'm trying to come up with ways that would make it work. Maybe I could try doing a fever post from Theolain to cover those years. I'll figure something out if the majority votes for not doing in-between posts.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #3908
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It seems I didn't manage to express my idea clearly enough, so let me restate it. So when I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
I was referring to this one terrible winter just behind aka. to something that has been just upon people of the Mead Hall as we start writing. The idea being, that we wouldn't need to make a detailed description (painfully reached via a lot of PM'ing and "fact-gathering" by some poor souls who'd need to do that) of what has just happened the last few months of the killer-winter. So people writing about their characters reminiscing about those few months just behind could use their creativity to build the story kind of afterwards.

The question of whether there should be some intermediary posts covering parts of the whole 5-year jump (not just the one winter which just ended) from the POV of some of our characters I think is a different one.

I'm not too keen in making it a big thing as it will delay the starting quite considerably. I think we'll still be needing a kind of an "official post" introducing the Mead Hall to the new players and recounting the major events of the jumped years. And the idea of the jump surely is that we jump, we don't "play" those years.

That said I'll be perfectly fine with someone / anyone wishing to fill in and writing some posts describing their characters at some important crossroads of their personal development during our jump. We should just make a definitive DL for entering them so that everyone could look forwards to a set date when the common writing then actually begins.

Haha, just saw G55's post. Yes indeed, I might like to write a short post describing lord Athanar saying farewell to the Mead Hall... Oh I can see the kind and warm thoughts he'd have.

~*~

Anyway. What we need then is some kind of a timetable, a goal or aim, as when to proceed and how.

I'd say it would be nice if we were able to kick this open and going in more or less a month, like say before the midsummer or around that time.

And with this being "open and going" I mean that there is a new thread (and discussion thread), all possible intermediary posts are done, the official "re-opening post" is there, all character bios are updated, the new writers are in with their bios and ready to roll - and we have some shared ideas as to what we're going to be doing...

One of the important things will of course be agreeing on the general outlines of the jump. I have made one suggestion based on the discussion here as to what happens during those five years. Are there any other ideas we should consider or is there something that is included in my suggestion you'd rather not have happening during the jump?

The sooner we agree on this issue the sooner people can get into thinking how their characters will become those characters they will be when we kick this off again (and yes, what kind of characters they will be indeed).

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-20-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #3909
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have PM'd Pio, asked her to review what we've been saying over the last month or so here, and as she has occasion, to start a new rpg and discussion thread.

We'll need names for the new thread and discussion thread that distinguish it from the current ones. Any thoughts?

I'm not satisfied with a mere "Scarburg II" designation.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #3910
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so summa summarum, the idea could be that we could basically continue writing the "in-between posts" now, even on the current normal game thread, so that whoever wants to fill something in, could do that - without any specific guidelines, kinda haphazardly? Because these posts probably won't need to rely much on each other, so we could have a post going like "During the first winter (after the events described above), Scyld was unhappy. But after visitors brought by King Elessar's travel had passed by, he bought himself a new horse." and after it a post by someone else who could start from any absolutely randomly different point, such as "Saeryn's newly born little boy got first time into big trouble when during the third summer of his life, he almost fell into a well." And after it still a different post about what Athanar was doing the previous winter. So the "in-between" posts could be rather character-centered than in any logical order, and that way, anyone could write them however they wished and however many they wished? (And please excuse the ridiculous examples I used.)

Quote:
We'll need names for the new thread and discussion thread that distinguish it from the current ones. Any thoughts?

I'm not satisfied with a mere "Scarburg II" designation.
Good point, let's think about that too (among all the other things).
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #3911
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

My suggestion would be that we start pretty immediately after the bad winter and Athanar's departure. I feel like a grieving/recovering hall is a great opportunity for character development/new relationships forming.

I think the reason there hasn't been much discussion on Nogrod's timeline is no one has a problem with it. But who is writing the interim post outlining/detailing it for the thread? Or is that even necessary? We also set that up as the backstory and allude to it as necessary (eg I would imagine some of those things are the sorts that Athanar would allude to in a goodbye speech, if Nogrod is so inclined to write one...).

I think too that the idea of letting the new thread deal primarily with events in the present is a good one. The post I'm currently writing for Scyld, I think I will tack onto the end of the current thread because it is far more relevant topically and chronologically to that timeline and sets him up better for the new thread, if no one minds.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #3912
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Go ahead and start the discussion thread for your new RPG:

HERE - the So Far Unnamed RPG Discussion Thread
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #3913
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Legate's idea for the intermediate posts sits quite well with me. I will tack on a post or two about my characters. *very happy me* They should be up within a week (probably even the next couple days).
Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #3914
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

1420!

Thanks Pio! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
I think the reason there hasn't been much discussion on Nogrod's timeline is no one has a problem with it. But who is writing the interim post outlining/detailing it for the thread? Or is that even necessary? We also set that up as the backstory and allude to it as necessary (eg I would imagine some of those things are the sorts that Athanar would allude to in a goodbye speech, if Nogrod is so inclined to write one...).
I think it would be decent and reasonable to open the actual new thread with an opening post with a short (very short) general description of the Mead Hall and then outlining the recent events (the last five years we jump). After that we could then start posting on it, starting on the spring coming after the terrible winter.

That means - and I would suggest it alongside Legate & Firefoot - that all the so called "jump posts" aka. those dealing with matters happening before the "new beginning" (fex. Athanar's last post) would have a more natural place in the old thread. It would make the new thread feel more like starting anew.

Who would then write the opening post aka. the kind of official opening of the thread? Well, I think it would naturally be lmp.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #3915
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. It might be easier also to continue this discussion on this thread and start using the new one Pio opened a bit later when we are clearly in business of doing something for the new Mead Hall.

And following the nice and practical tradition, we could ask Pio to start the thread with the updated character bios & such.

What do you think?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #3916
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I like the idea of new storyline going into the new thread and stuff that happens during the 5-year leap going into the old thread. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I hope to get around to updating my character bios soon.

-- Folwren
Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #3917
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Btw. It might be easier also to continue this discussion on this thread and start using the new one Pio opened a bit later when we are clearly in business of doing something for the new Mead Hall.

And following the nice and practical tradition, we could ask Pio to start the thread with the updated character bios & such.

What do you think?
Sounds absolutely like a good idea to me. And for that matter, however, I think we could still technically put up something basic on the new thread soon, or as soon as we have e.g. at least decent idea about the starting conditions, in order to make it also possible for newly coming players to start thinking about their own stuff (what they want their characters to be like, how to introduce them and so on). But in any case, obviously now we have clear task before us (organizing our own character developments, updating bios, plus deciding on everything related to the shift), so that's good.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #3918
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Who shall be Facilitator(s)?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #3919
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just an FYI for those of you talking about Fell Winters: There were two Fell Winters spoken of in Middle-earth - one in the First Age, the second in the Third Age. There was also a notable winter called The Long Winter, which especially hit Rohan in the Third Age.

See HERE
Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #3920
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
Just an FYI for those of you talking about Fell Winters: There were two Fell Winters spoken of in Middle-earth - one in the First Age, the second in the Third Age. There was also a notable winter called The Long Winter, which especially hit Rohan in the Third Age.

See HERE
I think we might anyway want to come up with a specific name for the winter in question, because we (and the characters) are certainly going to refer to it often. Of course, if it was just the previous winter, we could call it "the last winter" or something like that. Or it could be simply "the winter", and everyone from around Scarburg would know which winter they are talking about. (Just to be clear, I anyway presume that it was a local horrible winter, people somewhere in the Shire or Gondor might not have any idea what we are talking about, but I guess in 90% cases that is not our concern. Meteorologically speaking, the cold front from the East had stopped just short of the Misty and the White Mountains and the revolving precipitation combined with dramatic drop of temperature plagued our part of Rohan for a long period of time...)

I am updating my bio for Hilderinc right now, and posting the edit soon. By the way, I have reread a lot of the previous thread (at least things that were relevant to Hilderinc, because I wanted to re-check his character) and I have to say there was more than I expected... And fairly funny events we've had here, I'd say.