Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #1401
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I posted, but it is a rather ambiguous post. I didn't want to put any words or ideas into Modtryth's or Eodwine's mouths, and hence I said very little.

And so, I decided I should put my ideas here so that people can add to them or modify them at will!

The lantern idea I had Saeryn mention was something like this:

I can picture the lanters being set up on tall poles (about four to five feet high). They can either be arranged in rows, making aisles that go up and down, where (in a modern wedding) the bride might walk up between them. Or, they could be in a circle and the ceremony and the witnesses/guests/spectators (what are they called at weddings?) would stand within the ring of lanterns. Then we can have torches born by some of the men in a half circle around Eodwine and Saeryn as they exchange their vows.

I think both Saeryn and Rowenna should wear veils. I have no idea if it would be appropriate in Rohan, but I have heard (and I rather like the legend) that the bride and her bridesmaids would wear veils so that the fairies and evil spirits wouldn't know which woman was the bride, so they couldn't spirit her away!

This might be silly, but after the hand-fasting, as they walk back up through the people, can all the men at arms unsheath their swords and form an arch or a lane over the newly weds?

Should the people have rice or something to throw at them as they run back through?

After the celebration and feast and when all the dancing and fun is over, can Eodwine and Saeryn ride off somewhere? I just like the idea of galloping off in the middle of the night on horseback.

That's all I can think of at this point.

I still don't know what to do about a ring for Eodwine.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #1402
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice work on your post Kath! If it is alright with you, I am going to have Erbrand and Kara (almost wrote Kath) involved in a conversation with LMP's new character. Perhaps they can discover some new facts about him. I will get a post up for Erbrand, plus Lithor and his boys, tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Should the people have rice or something to throw at them as they run back through?
Funny you should mention that, Folwren. In Anglo Saxon culture, it was the tradition to throw grain at the wedded couple as a sign of fertility.

I like your ideas, Folwren. You're becoming very romantic in your writing.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-23-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #1403
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I like your ideas, Folwren. You're becoming very romantic in your writing.
I'm a young, unmarried woman, aint I? Of course I'm romantic!
Just be glad I didn't put down ALL I thought when I said I liked the idea of them riding off after the celebration. (Now you all probably have terrible thoughts about me - just forget I said anything.)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #1404
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Just be glad I didn't put down ALL I thought when I said I liked the idea of them riding off after the celebration. (Now you all probably have terrible thoughts about me - just forget I said anything.)
Darn it! If Eodwine had brought forward his proposal a few hours earlier Saeryn and him could have ridden off into the sunset!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #1405
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Darn it! If Eodwine had brought forward his proposal a few hours earlier Saeryn and him could have ridden off into the sunset!
I thought about that, too. No such luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #1406
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like every one of your ideas for the wedding, Foley - just let's make it grain instead of rice, ok?

And my new character, Eodwemer, can serve as the wedding solemnizer, being the eldest person present.

One question - do you want the riding romp (in which the wedding pair have to outrace everybody else) to happen before or after the dancing and riddling? By the by, if the chasers can be on horseback for the chase, then the best man and best woman must serve as rearguard. This could be fun!

EDIT: Oh, and let's make it a circle as they didn't have churches with aisles.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #1407
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I like every one of your ideas for the wedding, Foley - just let's make it grain instead of rice, ok?
Fine by me! I wasn't sure what it'd be.

Quote:
And my new character, Eodwemer, can serve as the wedding solemnizer, being the eldest person present.
Great...I guess...Ha. I don't know. If that's the custom. My only hesitance is the fact that nobody knows him.

Quote:
One question - do you want the riding romp (in which the wedding pair have to outrace everybody else) to happen before or after the dancing and riddling? By the by, if the chasers can be on horseback for the chase, then the best man and best woman must serve as rearguard. This could be fun!
Oh, I LOVE it! You're brilliant, Elempi!

How 'bout before the dancing and riddling. What if right after they ceremony (I'm calling it that for conveniences sake - I've no idea if it will be called that in the story), in the mad dash through the blinding grain, Eodwine and Saeryn run to where Leof has their horses. They mount, and then someone shouts, "To your horses everyone!" And everyone runs to a horse and leaps on (bareback?) Eodwine and Saeryn should share a mount. This way, their horse will be slowed. But they'll have a head start, and everyone else will be bareback, which may make things more chaotic and fun, and maybe make some of them less capable of riding quickly? Anyway, the goal is to catch them and bring them back for their feast and the rest of the evening festivities.

What d'ye think of that? It was just an idea that popped into my head when you said your bit, Elempi - we don't have to do it by any means.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, a ring is great. I liked that idea better myself.

-- Folwren
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #1408
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Great...I guess...Ha. I don't know. If that's the custom. My only hesitance is the fact that nobody knows him.
Wise men usually had such honor. I'll have to post more for him to bring out the "wise man" side of him, though "wizard" sort of does that anyway.

Quote:
How 'bout before the dancing and riddling. What if right after they ceremony (I'm calling it that for conveniences sake - I've no idea if it will be called that in the story), in the mad dash through the blinding grain, Eodwine and Saeryn run to where Leof has their horses. They mount, and then someone shouts, "To your horses everyone!" And everyone runs to a horse and leaps on (bareback?) Eodwine and Saeryn should share a mount. This way, their horse will be slowed. But they'll have a head start, and everyone else will be bareback, which may make things more chaotic and fun, and maybe make some of them less capable of riding quickly? Anyway, the goal is to catch them and bring them back for their feast and the rest of the evening festivities.

What d'ye think of that? It was just an idea that popped into my head when you said your bit, Elempi - we don't have to do it by any means.
Perfect!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #1409
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
You guys are having so much fun. It's nice to watch.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #1410
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tentative order of events

Looking over the post quoted below as well as feedback since, here's how it seems to be shaping up:

Up to and including the rite
  1. Eodwine and Saeryn check in with Frodides to discuss expectations, namely that Frodides is not expected to make a cake on short notice, she may do whatever she wishes.
  2. Modtryth and other will decorate the area chosen for the handfasting.
  3. Eodwine, Saeryn, Degas, Thornden, and Rowenna will plan the rite.
  4. Eodwine, being the groom, will decide that it's impossible for him to preside over his own handfasting, and casting about for a likely fellow will settle on the wizard as presider. Not much will be expected of him except requesting oaths, symbols (including the symbolic kiss), and announcement.
  5. Rite
  • The people gather in the circle
  • Eodwine welcomes the people
  • Eodwemer calls for the bride
  • Saeryn and Rowenna come into the circle, Saeryn on Degas' arm and Rowenna on Thornden's, the women veiled and flowered.
  • Ring oath spoken and symbols exchanged
  • Handgeld and bridegift oaths spoken
  • Sword oath spoken & swords exchanged
  • Symbolic "jump" over the .... rope?
  • symbolic kiss
  • union announced
After the rite
  1. Ride-romp
  2. feast with Lithor presiding
  3. dance
  4. riddles
  5. rite of crossing the threshold
There, did I miss anything?

Quote:
Okay, here's my take on this Eorling wedding.

Dress - whatever Saeryn has available will have to do on short notice.

Something blue - both Saeryn and Eodwine have blue eyes ( I think )- that will have to suffice.

Cake - Eodwine wouldn't put Frodides through such a battle on short notice, so whatever Frodides chooses to do on her own initiative must suffice.

Rings - Eodwine has presented a ring to Saeryn already. What Saeryn wishes to do about this is up to her.

Grooms' ancestral sword - Never really thought about Eodwine's sword, but since he is of the Eorlingas (a knight), he would have one from his father's father's father's (etc.). So we can work with that.

New sword - Eodwine intends to speak of this with Saeryn and see what Harreld either has available or can do; it need not be on short notice - Harreld can smith a new sword that may be ready in a month's time or something.

Wedding trip - Um, we're there already.

Exchange of handgeld and bridegift (otherwise known as dowry and brideprice) - This has already been decided upon and will be announced at the wedding with appropriate oaths spoken.

Wedding Oath - this is something that can be worked out here - other writers are quite welcome to make suggestions.

keys - as there is no door nor lock - only tents as of yet - there cannot be keys, at least for the rite - but they will be taken care of later when house and home are built.

relations of the bride & groom - Degas will give Saeryn away. There is no mother of bride nor groom at Scarburg, but Modtryth could stand in for mother of the bride. We can forego parents for the eorl.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Feel free to add your two cents (or more).
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #1411
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sounds fine, Elempi. I guess we still have to wait on Lhuna before we can really continue with the evening, right? It's probably just as well - I am swamped with school that I've been unintentionally procrastinating on.

-- Folwren
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #1412
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I agree, Foley. Not that the situation between Rand and Ginna and Harreld needs to be resolved quickly. Rather, it needs to gain some kind of focus and a point at which it can remain in tension while the wedding ensues. Make sense?

LOOOOOONA!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #1413
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I hate to say it but we may have to go ahead with things and let the Rand-Ginna-Harreld bit be posted retrospectively. Carry on!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1414
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I hate to say it but we may have to go ahead with things and let the Rand-Ginna-Harreld bit be posted retrospectively. Carry on!
That's fine. But too bad. Well, I posted last, so someone else take a turn.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #1415
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I hope to make a reply tomorrow, Elempi. That's if I can find a lull in my school work.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #1416
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Looks like Eodwemer is being conversed with. I will post a response as soon as opportunity allows.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #1417
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry, I've been terribly busy with final exams but I should be able to post next weekend at the latest...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #1418
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In the words of "Pink",

"Is anybody out there

out there

out there

out there....?"
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #1419
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am. I didn't figure I should post, though. Is Kath about to post for Frodides? Or Lommy? Well, Lommy said she'd be back as soon as finals were over, so I guess she'll be returning sometime soon...

What about Lhuna? Spring break is coming up for a lot of people - maybe that'll give us some slack to work with.

-- Foley
Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #1420
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll get a post up soon for Erbrand in response to Eodwemer.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #1421
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
What about Lhuna? Spring break is coming up for a lot of people - maybe that'll give us some slack to work with.

-- Foley
Lhuna is trying to graduate on time so as not to waste her slot in med school. For the meantime, please carry on without her.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #1422
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll post for Modtryth this weekend - unless Groin posts first or has objections, I will have the soldiers coming back from their little plant-gathering trip.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #1423
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Posted! Randomly but I was around. Hope it's alright.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #1424
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Posted! Randomly but I was around. Hope it's alright.
Ooooh!

Not to steal Erbrand from Groin, but I seem to recall that he's not a big fan of the last jack-of-all-trades to show up at Scarburg (Crabannan). Jumping to bad conclusions with funny consequences, p'raps?

*disappears back to the hideout from whence he came*
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #1425
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Ooooh!

Not to steal Erbrand from Groin, but I seem to recall that he's not a big fan of the last jack-of-all-trades to show up at Scarburg (Crabannan). Jumping to bad conclusions with funny consequences, p'raps?

*disappears back to the hideout from whence he came*
Haha! I thought of that when Eodwemer started making those "advances" towards Kara. I'll definitely get a post up! Absolutely thrilling!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #1426
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I got a post up for Erbrand and Lithor. I did it in a rush so I'm sure I could have done a better job if I waited. Still, better to get something up than nothing at all. That reminds me, nice post Lommy. Good to see you back in action
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #1427
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Keep Thornden single! Poor man! Actually, he doesn't seem to mind too much. That post cracked me up, Groin.

Well, things seem to be getting down to the time. When do we do the wedding?

-- Folwren
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #1428
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm trying to build a PM built post with Lhuna. Basically, I've written a lot of stuff for Rand, Harreld, and Ginna, but I want her to see it before I post it. Still waiting.... After that I'm ready to go. Give me a day or two.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #1429
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I'm trying to build a PM built post with Lhuna. Basically, I've written a lot of stuff for Rand, Harreld, and Ginna, but I want her to see it before I post it. Still waiting.... After that I'm ready to go. Give me a day or two.
No rush. I'm not impatient, really. Just want to make sure that things do stall and so long as someone is working on something, it's not stalling.

I will be leaving Friday and not coming back until Monday the 30th, and I doubt I'll be able to post at all during that time.

-- Folwren
Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #1430
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, Lhuna approved of at least the first half of it. She provided Ginna's reply to Rand. I'm guilty of everything else.

Now at last I feel like I can move on with the wedding .... except that Rand may have other ideas.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #1431
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

LMP, that post was seriously cute.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #1432
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
except that Rand may have other ideas.
Well no wedding is perfect. All the marriages that last seem to have something go wrong with wedding. Perhaps a little arson would be appropriate!

Seriously though, wonderful post LMP.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1433
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Well no wedding is perfect. All the marriages that last seem to have something go wrong with wedding. Perhaps a little arson would be appropriate!
If that DOES happen, it wouldn't be Randvér's fault, just so we're clear.

I love love love it, Elempi. If I didn't know better I would hand Rand over to you. I can't wait to be free from these crazy requirements and start really writing again.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #1434
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Not sure what "seriously cute" means, but I'll accept the compliment.

I'm very happy Lhuna that you're okay with it.

Hmmm.... how is it that so many of my characters get 'hitched'?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #1435
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Hitched or dead...now that's interesting.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #1436
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Clearly, Elempi, you are a latter-day Shakespeare, writing comedies, and as we draw to the end of your story, you feel need to "pair the spares." If we let you, you'd probably end up wedding everyone in one fell swoop--or at least one mass troth-taking.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #1437
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Clearly, Elempi, you are a latter-day Shakespeare, writing comedies, and as we draw to the end of your story, you feel need to "pair the spares." If we let you, you'd probably end up wedding everyone in one fell swoop--or at least one mass troth-taking.
Now that .... might be fun! But Shakespeare! You speak too well of my humble talents. Honest. But thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #1438
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, I've put words in the mouths of three characters not my own, Kath, Foley, and Lhuna. Please let me know if anything needs changing.

And Foley, Eodwine has posed a question to Saeryn, which makes it your turn.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1439
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Works for me!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #1440
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Just passing by...

Seriously Elempi, that was such an insensitive comment, coming from a "friend."

I'd hate to be Randvér just now. I think he's about to blow an artery.