The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting Tolkien and modern fantasy

I was wondering what your (gestures vaguely at computer screen) opinion is about modern fantasy. Has Tolkien "ruined" all of the books for you because it's just so good? It seems to me like all fantasy writers are worried about this, yet I have not met someone who truly despises the rest of the genre because LOTR blows all of the new books out of the water.
It's just a thought, but I'd really like to hear about this.
In my opinion, Tolkien is a genre all of its own. I call it historical fantasy (clever, isn't it?) So I never compare any fantasy to Tolkien. While it may not have the same amazing scale and emotional weight, it can still be excellent. Any thoughts? Or am I just ranting?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Imladrien
Pile O'Bones

Imladrien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had a long interval once of approximately 10 years between readings of Tolkien. During that time I read voraciously: Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony,and a bunch of others. Three years ago, I picked up Tolkien again. I tried to re-read "On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony, but, couldn't finish it, didn't read Ann McCaffrey's latest Pern or any of her other books that have been published in the last three or so years. The only one I have been able to re-read and enjoy is "Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I'm sure there are other "Arthurian" books that I might enjoy, if I would take the time to read them. So, I'd say that for the last three years, Tolkien has nearly ruined me for other fantasy. But, I'm not complaining!
--Imladrien
Reading Tolkien's Middle-earth
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I wouldn't say that Tolkien has ruined the genre of fantasy at all because there are some fantasies that are good. I tend to stay away from the modern fantasy because I don't really want to get involved with witchcraft or any other questionable material in there. However, I can honestly say that the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander (and other books by Lloyd Alexander) and the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis are excellent.

By the by, I like that you consider Tolkien as historical fantasy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:48 PM   #4
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Historical fantasy. Lovely. Well, I can't say that Tolkien has ruined all fantasy for me, but whenever I read fantasy now, I pick up on the slightest relation to Tolkien and compare it to a scene in the book. That leaves me helpless to concentrate on the book that I'm reading and it goes in one ear and out the other, all because I'm picking out bits of Tolkien relation.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkein definatly hasnt ruined fantasy for me as it it is my favorite reading (and film) genre. Even though i consider LotR to be one of the best fantasy books there is i still believe that other fantasy books are very good.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:35 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I never saw Lord Of The Rings as a particularly special book. I've always enjoyed fantasy, particularly faery stories and tales such as the Brothers Grimm. Lotr influenced me a little, but probably only because it highlighted similarities or influences from other fantasy, especially mythological stories.

Last edited by Meela; 11-27-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is thanks to Tolkien I began enjoying the fantasy genre. For example, "The Wheel of Time" saga by Rober Jordan is very good, but only if one enjoys a loooooong read [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

Of course, I can't stop drawing parallels, but that's something I have to live with. There are, of course, some fantasy books nothing like Tolkiens, but that's mostly military fantasy, which I enjoy.

-Aredhel
Old 07-31-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

After reading most of the posts on this thread, I find that I seem to be alone. I read any fantasy and I never compare it to anyone else. I can read a few chapters in FotR, then go to another room and pick up Mercedes Lackey and not compare the two at all. I'm just as into the modern fantasy as I am into Tolkien (only I don't spend hours on Valdemar-related websites [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ).

However, the fantasy I read seems dependant on mood. I don't pick up Xanth when I want depth, I pick up the Silm or some other high fantasy book (like WOT or Moontide and Magic Rise).

And I guess that's all I have to say. So far.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Fanasy is a wide genre. There's depth (Tolkien and Alexander), "candy" (Piers Anthony), and the allegory would be Narnia. And there are so many more facets that couldn't even begin to count. I don't think Tolkien wanted to monopolize the fantasy genre, he just wanted to add to it and make it better, if you will.

I think that Tinuviel said it perfectly; I just want to let her know that she is not alone because I am like her as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that Tolkien has particularly ruined fantasy for me, because I still enjoy reading books by other authors. For example, Mercedes Lackey is my next favorite author, other than Tolkien, and currently, I am engaged in the book "The Magician" by Raymond E. Feist. Of course, while I was reading it, I started choking because the Elves are almost exactly like Tolkien's Elves (in having a long lifespan), they even go to the Blessed Isles when they die, they have incredible skills with animals and woodcraft, and the Dark Elves, the enemies of the good Elves, are called "moredhel." I don't know about you, but I would definitely call that copying.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:23 AM   #11
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

I've only been reading Tolkien since tyhe films came out (But I difinatly pefere the books.) so a lot of the fantasy books I've read were from before I knew them and I still have my old opinions on a lot of them. But I don't compare Tolkien's works to most things becuase they are a different writer. It's okay to capare Tolkien works to other Tolkien books but if I, for exaple, compared Tolkien's works with Catherine Webb's that wouldn't work becuase she is completely different to him so she writes, and her books are in, a completly different style
Old 07-31-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I, for one, cannot help but comparing modern fantasy with Tolkien's works. I cannot find any tales that even remotely compare to the Professor's works. I take pleasure in reading the classics, works by Dickens, Shakespeare, Homer, Dante, Hugo, Thoreau and Melville. The only other works of "fantasy" that I really dabble in are the Silent Planet books by CS Lewis, the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and a few select others. Tolkien is certainly the author whose works I most enjoy out of all of these. The depth and richness of character, story and world never cease to dazzle me. My favorite contemporary author is Michael Crichton, but of course I do not compare his works to those of the Professor. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #13
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Historical fantasy. Perfect description!

It has ruined some, fantasy, but not all. Soem books have a totally different plot, but is still fantasy, and those are okay. But any books that have a king returning to the throne or anything like that is totally impossible to concentrate on.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:02 PM   #14
william
Pile O'Bones

william has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to william
Sting

hey didnt the guy reintroduce the genre to begin with (if im wrong shoot me) i mean without this guy many of the writers today wouldnt be writing and even though other works pale in comparison they are better considering what you are looking for. lets admit the fact that Anne McCaffery Pern serries is much more scientific in its fantasy than tolkien but at the same time does not leave as much room for the fascinating debates like the ones on this forum it is all according to your taste and mine is multi-faceted so i need other books to supplement my tolkien diet.
william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:34 PM   #15
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I haven't read much fantasy aside from things by Tolkien. I do draw lots of parallels when I am reading other fantasy, but then, I draw parallels between LOTR and almost anything else anyway. As far as I am concerned, Tolkien's writing are deeper, wider, and all aroung bigger than any other fantasy, on a plain by itself. In fact, he is only matched by one other person, C.S. Lewis. If you want to read something that is as wide and full and beautiful as Middle-earth, read C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy which consists of "Out of the Silent Planet" "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength".
Old 08-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
VardaoftheStars

Sting

There's no question in my mind that Tolkien is the archetype of fantasy. All the fantasy I've read is based on him and/or is highly influenced by him.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #17
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

After reading Tolkien I tried to read other fantasy books and found them all too dull for words. So, either I am simply not enjoying the genre, and Tolkien is the exception, or I simply happened to pick the wrong books.
I enjoy fairy tales very much though. And I like Harry Potter a lot. Does 'The Last Unicorn' by Peter Beagle belong to the 'fantasy' genre? It is very tolkienish, don't you think?