Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #681
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

There was something mysterious about the hobbit lass, but Eruanna did not let on. There was a myriad of hobbits at the inn on this particular time, but there was no way that the hobbit could have been lost in the crowd. For one, she had beautiful blonde hair, like a stream of flowing gold. Her eyes, green as emeralds. And moreover, there was a connection between Eruanna and the hobbit.

Eruanna was shaken from her search when she heard a clatter. She looked up slowly, half-expecting to see the hobbit-lass, but instead it was another hobbit, and an elf maiden aiding him. She went back to her drink, thinking no longer on the subject.

Slowly, her hand reached across the table, and picked up the letter. She opened it up, and read it to herself over and over. She gazed longingly at the golden ink, and beautiful calligraphy spelling out “My Dearest Eruanna,” deep, deep in her thoughts she heard the melody forming. It became louder, clearer and clearer. Eruanna raised her head, awakening from her thoughts, and she could hear the melody beside her.

There stood the hobbit, singing the song that Eruanna sung a while before.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #682
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ~*~*~*~*~*~ [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The Summons RPG [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ~*~*~*~*~*~ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Burzdol, owner - The Discussion Thread is open to take on characters.

3 Rangers, male, are still needed.

Check it out!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ *+*

First Posts must accompany your Character Description forms for this game. It is a requirement of the owner.

This means that Character Descriptions without First Posts on them will not be considered for the Game. They will be returned to the writer – and can be resubmitted later with the First Post on it.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 05-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #683
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

She rubbed her fingers across the locket, and began to daze off... She thought about her past, her mom, her life, her journey from the time she left to know. There was a flash of light. Alatariel was sitting in her old house, in front of her mom. She was short for an elf, with long flowing brown hair, and stunning green eyes. Alatariel's hair was being brushed by her mom. She was only the age of 15. They were talking merrily. Alatariel saw another flash of light. She was now in the woods, by herself, only 16. She wondered astray from the house, leaving it behind unintentionally. She walked in the opposite direction of the house. Soon she had wondered into a completely different place. Lost....

There was a sudden flash, and Alatariel was back into reality. She looked down at the locket and put it around her neck. She looked around her. The elf that was sitting next to her had opened an envelope and started to read the beautiful gold letters. Alatariel continued contemplating her past. She remembered never seeing her father, not knowing who or what he was. She longed to see her family again, but did not know where to look. All her life she had been endlessly searching for something she did not even know was real. But we put our past behind us, she thought and began to sip her drink. Somehow she could not get her mind off of her past.

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 05-22-2003, 06:45 PM   #684
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She has a pretty enough smile, he thought, looking closely at her face. But there is no warmth in it. And her eyes are cold, and wary. Curious how her eyes slide toward Silvanis. Some old business, perhaps. And none too pleasant to her.

He took a step beyond her, blanket in hand, moving toward the stall. Derufin shook the loose straw from the old blanket. Folding it in thirds, he hung it over the edge of the partition, smoothing some non-existent wrinkle from the wool.

Not a word passed between the two others, who stood looking at one another a few feet from him. He would have laughed at the incongruity of the silent tableau amid the ongoing noises of the beasts in the stable, high and low, save for the fact that the woman seemed perched on the edge of some hidden precipice, and the man had a keen, wolvish look which flickered through his eyes – a hunter, his quarry brought to bay.

Derufin stepped back to her side. ‘I had not thought you would take the blanket. And what of it if you should? The stable is warm, there are not many horses boarded here at present. We can spare a blanket for a guest . . . or for a worker.’ He raised his brows in query.

‘My stable boy has gone off to Waymeet. Hand-fasted to his sweeting just this past week. Won’t be back either, if I have the right of it. Her parents like to keep their children close.’ His gaze traveled over her thin, wiry frame. ‘You look strong enough, and I could use the help. I have carpentry work to get done, and I fear that both the animals and the roof and walls are getting short shrift from me. What say you?’
Old 05-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #685
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Mardath grinned at the uptight elf. "Calm down, Soronume. I meant ye no harm. So, ye're Soronume, she's Elwen, who're the rest of ye?"

Niniel shyly slid a little farther away from this loud stranger. He seemed harmless enough, but he was far too...exuberant for her liking. She thought he could have asked first, rather than seating himself without a by-your-leave.

Mardath didn't seem to notice her reaction, though he had come to the table because of her. He absently lit up a pipe and turned to Dorelnar, "And ye would be?"

"Dorelnar."

"Dorelnar. Rolls easy off the tongue. Na like Mardath. Tha's a name I'd na wish on me worst enemy. Sounds a bit devilish, think ye, Soronume?" He grinned, and wondered if the fellow even knew how to smile.

Niniel blushed a bit, and half hoped that the stranger would go away. Unconsciously, she was leaning toward Soronume, like a flower follows the sun. Mardath's coarseness of manner only emphasized the innate grace and charm possessed by Soronume. Besides, Mardath was too big, too loud, and too...uncouth for her liking. He was too much like the rowdy bandits among whom she'd hidden for a few years.

Finally, he noticed her reaction, and to whom she was looking. He chuckled silently. So, it was that way, was't? Well, mayhap she could lighten him up a bit. Teach him to laugh. Though, she didn't look like much of a one for laughter herself. More like one for tears.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #686
Katt b
Pile O'Bones

Katt b has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Waen was surprised to hear how many relatives the hobbit had, but was gladdened to hear of them.The woman coughed twice,and asked about Waens coming to the Shire.Waen winced but she knew if she asked about Estella's land, she would want to know about hers.

Waen sighed, "I left my home in lothlorien about..oh..4 years now, I just wanted to see the land and be free..."As she said free her brow knotted.She figured this woman was from a race that was inheritantly small, so it would be ok to continue.

She closed her eyes and began again. "My mother was ashamed of my size,and forbade me to learn to fight. I was only to learn of supperficial things like songs and poems and how to be a lady.....I chose another path..So I decided to leave,I have been wandering ever since.Then I found Kitathas wounded,she has become my friend and close companion since then."

Just then just as if she heard her name Kitathas flew down from the sky with a cry and landed smoothly on Waen's shoulder.Waen slowly stood to her feet. "Excuse my abruptness, but I must sleep.I hope to see you again soon...I think I might stay here for a little while...and Maybe fall into n adventure." Waen smiled a huge grin,her eyes shone in the moonlight.She took the hobbits hand breifly and hurried back into the Inn.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:04 PM   #687
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Alatariel could not keep her mind off her past, she had to talk to someone, do something, but there was no one hear she found that she could talk with. They all seemed caught up in their own lives. She finally gave up hope. She walked outside into the rain. She began to sing a melody, an indistinctive melody. It had no tone, not sad, not angry, not joyful, just a melody. How can that be? A melody without tone? She waited as she sang, looking long fully into the rain.

Then, her horse, Aranel, appeared out from the rain. Her white coat soaked from the rain. "There you are. I was beginning to get worried," she said leading the horse into the stables to dry her fur. She left her into an open stable and ran back into the inn to get a towel.

She arrived back with a dry towel, and began to dry her. She went from her dripping mane, to her tail. Alatariel did not want her to get sick, for she cared for her and she was also her only way away from the Inn if something were to happen. After Aranel was completely dry she went to the other end of the stable, and sat down on a stool. She thought about her past again. She remembered back to that day she got lost. She had kept the secret hidden inside of her for so long, never admitting to the truth, but finally she did. She meant to get lost that day, just a young elf wanting to see the world, wanting to be free. Alatariel buried her face into her hands, finally admitting to it made her fall into kind of a shock. She left, left her home without saying goodbye, without know when she would ever see her family again, and now she missed her mother. The only friend she has in life now is Aranel. Living her whole life lost.

Alatariel lifted her head out of her hands. She listened to the pitter-pattering of the raindrops.

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 05-22-2003, 07:36 PM   #688
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* NOTICE OF NEW RPG OPENING *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Durelin invites you to play in the new game: Dark Seduction.

~*~ Please see Dark Seduction Discussion Thread for a description and instructions. ~*~

A character description and a First Post must be submitted together for this game. NO EXCEPTIONS.

The Discussion Thread will open Friday, 05/23.

Until then, read the storyline and Durelin’s First Post.

Create a believable character AND a First Post to submit with it.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 05-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #689
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Vanwe did her best to remain still beneath the appraising gaze of Derufin but his offer of work not able to be resisted. Her brows arched before she could still them and lips parted in surprise. Carpentry and horses he spoke of. Horses shifted in their stalls, creatures that still held some awe for Vanwe who had such little experience with them. Yet she had always been at ease with the livestock of her village, even the ill tempered geese that terrorised the rest of the residents had responded well to her hand.

But it was the carpentry, the wood, that most appealed to her. Wood was a rare commodity in Harad and it had not been often that she had managed to come by it. Yet she loved the feel of it in her hands, and the forests of Ithilien when she had come there had stolen her breath away. She loved the scent of it, the feel of it, the way it seemed to respond to her hand.

"You would retain me?" Her voice was incredulous. First the blanket and bread, and now the offer of legitimate employment. It wasn't like the last employment offer, where her light feet had been used to transport stolen goods from warehouses to docks in Umbar. There was nothing nefarious this time. Her smile transformed into something else entirely, a rare thing seen on her face in recent times.

Derufin blinked at the change, unsure as to whether it was the same elven maiden he was looking at. Vanwe nodded before he could change his mind. "Yes, sir! I'll do anything." Her statement was for the most part true. Vanwe had done whatever she had needed to in order to make her way. The offer of legitimate employment was a blessing unlooked for and she was young enough to not question such rare good fortune.

Silvanis shifted his weight, snagging her attention and renewing her recently overlooked anxiety. One word could bring this crashing into a pile of rubble. Derufin had not so much as asked who she was, where she came from, why one so young was abroad alone. With all that uncertainty, the announcement of her parentage could make the arrangement untenable for him.

"I will work very hard. I will not disappoint you." Vanwe tucked pale golden hair back behind her ears and gave up the faintly pleading glance she had directed at Silvanis. "I could start now, if you wish sir."

She tugged her skirt a little straighter whilst she was at it, steadfastly ignoring another piece of straw that detatched from the fabric and floated to the the ground in the process.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #690
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please note: There are new rules for Game Discussion Threads going up as we open the new Games in the Shire. Please read them carefully - All Gamers will be held responsible for following them.

A Discussion Thread Reminder

Fellow Shire Gamers:

Our gaming comes with a cost; it is time to reflect on this fact and make some changes to how we run our games.

We RPGers are the most voracious consumers of Barrow Downs resources. We use a game thread, a discussion thread, PMs to plan games, and are constant visitors to the site, often returning more than two or three times a day to keep up with developments in the game in order to prepare our own posts.

Our gaming comes with a cost; it is time to reflect on this fact and make some changes to how we run our games.

We RPG’ers use the most Barrow Downs resources. We use a game thread, a discussion thread, PMs to plan games, and are constant visitors to the site, often returning more than two or three times a day to keep up with developments in the game in order to prepare our own posts.

Why is this a drain on BD resources? Please take some time to read carefully and reflect seriously upon the Barrow Wight's recent posts in the "Announcements >> The Barrow Downs" forum concerning storage space and bandwidth, chat and discussion, and the costs of running the site, and then change your posting habits.

What this means is that our Games, because we need to be so active in them, and because the Shire has so many going at once, cost the site much more money that other topics and forums on the Barrow Downs. In order for us to continue to have a good number of quality games for Shirelings to play in we need to make some changes:

What you, as participants in this game can do, personally:

What are the most beneficial changes in our posting habits? For one, we need to stop using the discussion threads for off-game-topic chatting, for personal comment. We need to restrict our posts to discussion of the games only, that is, to issues of plotting, character interaction, clarification, and notification of absences.

For most occasions, we don't need to make multiple posts about why we are absent or how we are doing and we don't need to make a string of 'see ya' posts in reply.

For personal comments, we can use the chat room or PM’s. (It’s ok to say a short ‘Nice post!’ or ‘Great post!’ if it is included with a post that has some other on-topic game information/requests on it.)

Please take the time to do several things:

Keep on topic for the Game.

Delete posts or run of the mill comments in the discussion thread that have no bearing on the game.

Refrain from such posts and comments in future discussions of the games.

Limit your daily visits to the thread.

READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY. ALL GAMERS WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR UNDERSTANDING THESE CHANGES.

What we, as Shire Moderators, will be doing to insure these changes are being made:

We will be following the discussion threads more closely now. When we see an off topic post – we will give the poster a warning by PM and place a post on the Discussion Thread with the poster’s name on it and a request to remove that post.

Once the warning is given, all future off-topic posts by that poster will be deleted, and that poster runs the risk of being asked to leave the game by the Moderator if such behavior continues.

The Moderator also has the option to close the Game and Discussion thread if gamers cannot stay on topic in the Discussion Thread. It will then be up to the Owner and the players to sort out problems, by PM or email, and make an agreement to keep on topic. Owners may then contact the Moderator to reopen the Game.

If we all help out, we can ensure that our games remain treasures in the Barrow Downs.

Thanks for being responsible gamers and conscientious members of the Downs!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:19 PM   #691
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Was he a friend or a foe? Benia asked herself, still watching the door where the mysterious man had been standing. Probably neither, she reassured herself. Probably just someone whose eye had been caught by her facial jewelry, nothing more and nothing less. After all, she did look quite different from folks in these parts. She shouldn't be bothered by the occasional casual stare.

She pulled her gaze away from the busy door and looked to see where Gilly had gotten off to. Just as she did, Gilly reappeared toting a variety of crockery, cutlery, and food, not to mention a hot cup of tea. Benia got up to assist her.

"Oh! That cup is hot!" exclaimed Gilly. She carried on for a moment with some similar -- obviously nervous -- prattle about the food before finally settling down in her chair. She cupped her hot mug between her hands, looking at Benia with an expression that told her as plain as words that she was fairly bursting with questions, but just wasn't sure where to start. Or whether or not etiquette would allow her to bombard a guest and a foreigner, no less, with so much conversation before they had even had dinner.

Benia gave her a warm smile. "Remember," she said merrily. "I may have been born in the desert, but my father was a Bree-man. Under the surface, I am as fond of friends and a good tale as the average hobbit! So, tell me, Miss Gilly, how has the world been to you since we last met?"
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #692
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Alatariel was listening to the raindrops hitting the roof of the Inn's stables. She was sitting on top of a stool, her shawl shielding her from the cold wind that blew into the stables. Aranel neighed to get Alatariel's attention. She was cold. Alatariel got up off the stool and walked towards Aranel. "Hey girl, you look cold. I'll go get a blanket," she said stoking her damp mane, "Be right back."

Alatariel walked out of the stables into the rain, making her way towards the Inn. When she got inside, she saw several people around the fire to gain some warmth from it, and to dry off. They had come in from the rain to rest along their journeys, and who knew what type of journey they could be up to. She walked to the back of Inn, to get a blanket out of the closet, which was in a very dark corner of the Inn.

Back at the stables she put the blanket over Aranel. She neighed in thankfulness. Alatariel walked over to the corner of the stall, and then lied down on a pile of dry hay. She covered herself with her shawl and tried to fall asleep.

Her attempt failed. She could not get her mind off her past even long enough to go to sleep. It was hopeless. So she just lied there. Off somewhere in the stable she heard someone talking, but it was indistinctive chatter. She listened to the voices, one of which sounded a little frightened. She slowly drifted off into her sleep listening to the voices.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 AM   #693
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estella watched as her companion left and went back into the inn. The evening air was cool, and a slight breeze ruffled her hair as she sat on the step. Reflecting on her evening, she smiled and was glad in her heart that she came.

Standing up she straightened her skirt and turned to face the Green Dragon. She thought about reentering and maybe finding another interesting soul, but then Estella turned her face toward her home. A comforting feeling came over her, and she knew she was ready to leave.

Glancing once more over her shoulder toward the inn, the middle aged hobbit walked down the steps and onto the road that lead to her cozy hole. She felt like a changed woman, and there was a slight hop in her step. Soon she had disappeared into the darkness and from the memory of the merry spirits that filled the Green Dragon.

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 05-24-2003, 01:43 AM   #694
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Derufin laughed out loud, a low rumble that started deep within and burst out in pure delight. ‘I’m sorry to frighten you, m’lady,’ he said, seeing her step back from him. He took a deep breath and rubbed his hand across his still grinning mouth. ‘Your eagerness caught me by surprise!’

‘Come. I’ve had naught for breakfast yet. And you’ve not eaten all the loaf I left you.’ He turned slightly and motioned with a sweep of his hand toward the stable door. ‘Cook will have made eggs and a stack of thick, crisp toast. There’ll be sweet cream butter and gooseberry jam, thick with fat, sweet berries. And cups of hot, sweet tea to wash it all down.’ She stood there an indecisive look on her face.

He cocked one eyebrow at her. ‘At least come have a cup of tea while I eat. It’s the kitchen where we’re starting today, the pantry to be exact. Needs new shelving put in – the boards are old and bowed from the long years of foods stacked on them. Cook has been at me for weeks to get it done.’ Derufin smiled warmly at the still hesitant Elf, beckoning her toward the door with a nod of his head.

He started toward the door. ‘It shouldn’t take long,’ he called over his shoulder, ‘if we work together. And after that, there are the cedar shingles to replace on the roof. That should fill the rest of the afternoon.’

His voice grew fainter as he walked away from her. He turned back once to look at her. The sun, behind him, lit his dark tousled hair with its brightness, framing the now shadowed features of his face with light . . .
Old 05-24-2003, 05:27 AM   #695
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman opened the door of the Green Dragon, nudging the doorstop under it with a foot. She had not locked it last night- people had been coming in all night, seeking shelter from the rain, which had started late last night and carried on until the early morning, and many of them had decided to stay the night. Aman rubbed her tired eyes with a hand and stepped outside, hugging herself against the breeze, and was glad to see that the tempestuous weather of the night had left with the moon, leaving a bright, if breezy day. But some of the angry, dark clouds looked to be only biding their time- Aman hoped it wouldnt rain again before nightfall.

She yawned and, hearing the sound of feet coming from the stables, she turned and smiled at the familiar face of Derufin coming from the stables.

"Good morning, Derufin. Sleep well?"

The man smiled slightly ruefully at her. "Better than you, I'll wager, Aman. Long night."

The Innkeeper waved this away with one hand, then focused on the figure coming from the stables. An elf, squinting against the sun, was following Derufin, nervously straightening her skirts, and took half a moment to recognise her.

"Vanwe? I thought you already left?" She inquired. Derufin smiled enigmatically, and Aman raised an eyebrow at him. "But I'm guessing a certain stablemaster could tell me different?"

Derufin's smile broadened. "Aye, Aman, I offered Vanwe work- you know, what with that stable boy being off and all, and well, I could do with a bit of help." He winked at her. "You don't mind?"

"Would I turn down the offer of having another pair of hands in this Inn? My my, two elves in as many days, both offering to help at an Inn in Bree, of all places." She laughed, then cocked her head towards the Inn door. "You will come in for some breakfast?"
Old 05-24-2003, 08:32 AM   #696
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Benia’s smile had had as much a calming effect on Gilly as her words. Yes, Benia’s father, Jack Nightshade was a native of Bree. And true as it was, the hobbit couldn’t imagine Mr. Jack claiming any town as home. He had lived in so many regions. But he did love tales and had a large store of them himself. Gilly had remembered sitting with Benia by the fireside listening to him tell of his time among the Rohirrim and how his patrol had captured Benia’s mother, Benia the Fair, and her brothers, a remnant of a powerful clan from the southern deserts. It was an event that shaped the rest of his life.

But Benia and her family had been living in Bree before arriving in the Shire searching for a safe haven. Gilly had brought them home to her family’s farm hoping that her parents would allow them to stay until the danger of their discovery by their southern pursuers past. It had caused quite on uproar at home but they had been allowed to stay, Gilly’s parents rising to the cause after much deliberation.

How could Gilly’s recent life compare to that? Her stories these days revolved around her children. Such as how her two sons picked all the vegetables in Primula Tunnely’s garden and she had to stay up all night helping her to can them. Or when little Sandy played postman with her love letters delivering Carl’s masterpieces up and down the street.

Gilly had returned Benia’s smile. “Oh, you might be as fond of a good tale as an average hobbit, but I’m just a good hobbit with and average tale! But still I have married and have been raising a few children among my cabbages and potatoes. I’ve three boys to keep me on my toes, and Carl, my husband. He’s a shopkeeper here in town. I’ve been a Banks for 19 years now and haven’t seen a real adventure since your family left. Well, we did have a few unwelcome visitors come calling for the Nightshades soon after your father had decided it was time to head out. They didn’t trouble us though, and we sent them on down the road.”

“ But it’s late enough without me making you doze off with my life story! How are you doing? I have heard the sad news about your mother and can’t help but wonder how your life has changed. And how is your father taking it? It was obvious they were deep feelings between them. Come let us find a quieter place to catch up on these matters.”

Having said this the old friends had adjourned to Benia’s rooms, to spend the early morning hours in private conversation.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #697
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen was not sure how she felt about this newcomer. He seemed nice enough but something put her on edge. Perhaps it was the reaction of the others at the table. Elwen had always been sensitive to the feelings of others close to her. Well he had done nothing wrong yet so she would be nice.

"It is nice to meet you." Spoke Elwen out loud. Then turning to Soronume she said quietly, "Amin dele ten' ho."

Soronume nodded glancing at Dorelnar. Dorelnar shrugged his shoulders, "Manqué?"
he looked at Elwen, "He has done you no wrong, yet." he answered in a whisper.

Elwen looked at Niniel and laughed inside, she wondered if Niniel would ever act on her affection for Soronume. She have to be more forceful if she wanted a reaction. Elwen knew that Niniel feelings for Soronume had not gone unnoticed by him, he could not have missed them.

Elwen moved her eyes back to Dorelnar, taking his hand back in hers. Her laughed rang out like tiny bells, as she once more played absent-mindedly with her hair. "So, we three have heard our stories, but we have not heard yours, perhaps you would like to tell us why you came to this inn?"
Old 05-24-2003, 09:08 AM   #698
Dorelnar

Silmaril

Dorelnar liked this character as little as the rest of the table it seemed. But why, he could not work out.

"Yes," Dorelnar added to Elwen's question, " i think it would be nic to hear what brings you to our little table by the fire, Mardath."

He looked at Elwen, her hand felt cold in his but then again that was normal, he remembered, Starmaidens, surprisingly are not warm people, even though they were once real stars burning brightly. How odd, Dorelnar thought to himself, looking directly at Mardath, waiting for an answer.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:40 AM   #699
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Eruanna looked up from her position, right at the hobbit-lass. She perceived the situation, but her thoughts bewildered her. “Who are you?” Eruanna asked, but before she could ever get an answer, the hobbit was gone. She knew inside that this would be the last time she saw the hobbit, at least for a while.

Left in suspense, she lifted her hood over her face, and tucked away the letter. Suddenly, it seemed as if all noise had stopped. The laughter, and the music, and people chatting along about recent happenings and what-not had subsided. Quickly she stood up, and walked towards the door, intending to end her stay in The Shire right then. Yet, every step became harder, she was straining. She had got to the door, and could go no farther; she leaned against a wall, and slowly slid down to the floor.

Eruanna sat, unable to move, she felt as if she was becoming hard of hearing and her vision clouding over. When all felt like it was about to shut down, the letter slipped down, and glided gently to her feet. She picked up the letter, staring at it once more, fingering each ornate letter. Slowly she read each word, and she saw it. A fold in the letter! What could it be? She opened the fold, which she could not see before, and read aloud. “Wherever you may be, stay. For I shall come for you…”

Stay, stay, stay; the word was replaying over and over again in her mind. Surely this is the reason for her strain. At once, she felt a burden lifted from her heart. He will come she knew it, she felt it! Suddenly, she could see, sharp as ever as if she had new elven eyes. And she could hear, she heard the laughter, the music so quaint and lovely, and she heard all about her people talking amongst themselves. No longer did she miss her home, for she perceived, this is why her path led to the Green Dragon Inn.

She lowered her hood, and sat down once more; awaiting the hour that she would find her love again. Merrily she pranced over to the bar, and ordered a fine wine. She sat down, sipping her drink, and enjoying the commotion of the inn.

And for the first time since her journey, she laughed.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #700
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Derufin stepped up closer to Aman and, leaning in, took a deep breath. Somewhat ruffled, the Innkeeper moved back a pace, a perplexed look on her face. ‘Just checking,’ he said, an impish glint in his eyes as he drew back and grinned at her.

Aman raised her brows at him, and lifted her chin in a defiant manner. Her eyes narrowed at his grinning visage. ‘What?!’

He chuckled, raising with his right hand in a gestured of feigned drinking from a tankard. ‘Thought you might have been hitting the ale early, m’lady. You called this place an inn in Bree. Too fond of the Prancing Pony, I think!’ He winked, and moved past her, stepping into the kitchen.

‘Cook!’ he cried, his voice ringing loud in the high beamed room. ‘You’ve a hungry carpenter here. No, make that two hungry carpenters. Best feed us well, else we drop from hunger in the midst of doing your pantry!’
Old 05-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #701
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Alatariel was awoken by sound of tiny footsteps, barely even a noise. She peeped out form under her shawl. She looked to see the young hobbit lad from earlier. He was stroking Aranel's soft mane. He had a carrot at hand, wanting to feed the mare. "Please. Eat this. I won't hurt ye," he said.

"Tis you!" Alatariel stood up quickly, throwing her shawl back. The young hobbit got startled. He dashed out of the stable, dropping the carrot onto the ground. "Wait! I meant you no harm!" she yelled after him, but it was no use. "I've got to find him! There is something strange about that little hobbit, but I'm not sure what."

Alatariel ran into the same direction as the hobbit, the mud splashed up around her. She saw a door close on the Inn's storehouse. Creeping up quietly towards it, she creaked it open a crack revealing a long blonde haired hobbit lass getting out some ingredients to make supper. Alatariel closed the door, and walked towards the Inn. That hobbit has to be around here somewhere, Alatariel thought. She walked back to the Inn, in search of the hobbit lad.

At the door, there was a young elf-maiden sitting against the wall. There were several hobbits at the tables. Alatariel wandered among them, searching for that one young hobbit lad. No where around the tables. She searched through the hobbits sitting at the bar. Still no trace of the hobbit. She went to the back, where the rooms were. Knocking on all the doors, she searched for him. The ones that there were no answer to, she opened a crack, to reveal either emptiness or someone in a deep sleep. Alatariel just could not find him. She walked out of the back of the Inn, and sat down onto an empty table in the dark corner, waiting for him to pass.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:31 PM   #702
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Eruanna laughed as if she were a child again. And for no particular reason either. It didn't matter who was watching, for she was at ease once more. She drank up her wine, and looked about for nothing in particular. She noticed an elf-maiden walking about, as if searching for something. She seemed so familiar.

Eruanna recalled in her memory a figure walk past while she was planning to make her permanent exit of the inn, that elf-maiden must have been the same figure

Thinking no longer on the subject, Eruanna went out back to the stables to check on her mare. She saw her, a dark shadow. "Oh, Istel," she said, "You are noble to take me here" She slowly stroked her silky mane. Eruanna uttered out words to Istel, as she often did while thinking about events.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #703
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Alatariel sat and waited patiently for the hobbit. She thought about how strange he had been. There was something about him... but Alatariel did not know. She saw his past, what a horrible past, but so very similar to her's. She could not understand.

She got up form the table and ordered herself a drink. Then walking back to the table she spotted him. He was trying to sneak out of the Inn, quietly creeping along the wall. She left the wine at the bar, and watched him. He slipped out the door, and Alatariel quickly followed.

Old 05-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #704
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Having retired to Benia's rooms and settled in before the fire, Benia folded her hands in her lap and thought for a moment before answering Gilly's question.
"My father is dead as well," she said softly. "It has everything to do with my mother. She was slain but weeks after we left the Shire. As you know, when we departed your hospitality, we took the road north in the hope of throwing our pursuers off the track. Then we planned to double back to the south and cross the Brandywine at the Sarn Ford. From there, our intent was to make for Rohan, where my father still had many enemies, but he had just as many friends who were willing to assist us. We were overtaken barely a day short of reaching the ford."

Her amber eyes darkened. "My mother was killed there. My father fought hard but he was only one against many. They left him for dead. The only reason I was spared was that, being very young at the time, I had wandered off in a sulk. I was tired and my feet hurt. Foolishly, I wanted to slow down and stop running."

She leaned forward, holding one of her tattooed hands toward Gilly. A wide silver band adorned the middle finger. "Do you remember this ring? It's all I have left of my mother." Wide-eyed, Gilly nodded. Benia's mother, Benia the Fair, had worn it on the same finger.

"My father was grievously wounded," Benia continued. "When he was well enough to travel, we returned to his family in Bree. They hid us until he had recovered the majority of his strength, but the danger was too great for us to stay any longer. We were constantly in flight after that, but he never recovered from the loss of my mother. Eventually, he took to drink."

"He was killed two years ago in a drunken brawl," she ended abruptly.

Gilly made a sympathetic noise in her throat and reached out to pat Benia's hand. "That's sad news indeed" she said. "I was fond of your father."

"Thank you." Benia smiled. "But, really, we should try to get a little sleep. Maybe the rain will let up by morning." She stood and, with much protestation from her guest, finally managed to deposit Gilly into bed in the bedroom. Benia, herself, spent the remainder of the night in the chair before the fire, watching the embers die into darkness and remembering darker days. Finally, she slept.

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaid ]
Old 05-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #705
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Niniel looked at Mardath. Something about him tugged at her memory. Not the bandits, something else. Something she didn't really want to remember. Something about her...father.

The big man smiled at Dorelnar. That smile, where had she seen it before? Only then, he had been angry and trying to hide it. Now it was only good humor, with not an intentional hint of malice. Not an intentional hint of malice, that was the key. But a bear would probably look menacing no matter how friendly.

Soronume didn't seem to like Mardath very much. But then, calling him "elf" without even a "mister" preceding it was very rude. The thing was, Mardath seemed harmless enough, but he was just so loud and boisterous. He seemed to have never been in civilized surroundings before.

"Well, Dorelnar, 'tisn't much of a tale. I grew tired o' the forests and me hunting, s'I decided to take a bit of a jaunt, see more of th' world. Ended up here."

The forests...hunting...it seemed so familiar, just within her grasp, but the memories still eluded Niniel. Then Mardath looked right at her.

"Excuse me, miss, but ye havna introduced yeself yet. Might I be asking ye name?"

Niniel looked rather frantically for help. No, no, no. She didn't want to be the recipient of any attention from this stranger, friendly or otherwise.

Soronume came to her rescue. "The lady is called Niniel." He frowned at Niniel's obvious discomfort, and pointedly leaned toward her in a gesture of protection.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #706
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Vanwe trailed along behind Derufin, with a backward glance to Silvanis.

"Please, later... the notes," she whispered as she passed and hurried off after the Stablemaster before he thought she had reconsidered. She smiled shyly up at Aman as they arrived.

"I did leave, in a fashion," she offered to the innkeeper but was soon ushered indoors and towards the kitchen before she could explain further. The warmth of the busy kitchen enveloped her, the scent of hearty food redolent on the air as they entered. Vanwe sighed appreciatively. Derufin had mentioned something about the shelves in the kitchen, and so she turned her attention to the pantry amidst the traffic of the room.

He seated himself at the end of a long table, out of the way of the cook and Vanwe darted from the doorway when she realised she was blocking traffic. In the better light she could make out still more of his face. He was not like the men of her village, and that cheered her considerably. His laughter was infectious and soon even she was smiling as she examined the room in unveiled curiousity. He had mentioned another Elf, and Vanwe could not help but watch for her. What she would say should the other Elf speak to her, she had no earthly idea. The only Elf she had ever spoken to before was herself.

Soon enough, a hearty breakfast started to accrue before them and Vanwe gave off her inspection of the kitchen and stared in amazement at the wealth of food.

"Are there other people," she asked Derufin who was reaching for a plate of eggs. He smiled and shook his head.

"No, just us, and we have a lot to do today so no sense letting this go cold," he replied. Vanwe smiled and reached for another plate. No sense at all, she concurred. After scant meals on the road, if indeed any could be gotten, the breakfast was to her a feast. Eggs, she recognised. Bacon was new to her, as were the mushrooms. It was a morning of discoveries for her and her eyes held her smile.

As they ate, Vanwe's mind whirled with thoughts on the morning's events. At some point she needed to find a way to get her notes back without drawing attention to them. She also needed to prove to Derufin that his offer was not one he would regret. As she explored something that was called a tomato, she looked across to where he sat. Without her layer of dust, straw and thread from the blanket, he looked to be the carpenter he named himself. On the other hand, she was nothing other than an urchin even though she could hold a piece of lumber and sense the shapes it held within.

"Sir, have we wood for the pantry," she asked and then something else occured to her. He called her m'lady, and that was not right. It was far too nice. She set down her fork and sipped at her water. "And what shall I call you?"

Through the kitchen wafted the smell of freshly baked bread that had been set down on the other end of the long table to cool. She breathed it into her lungs deeply, eyes closing as she did so. She had many other things to say also, but now was not the time. She opened her eyes again and looked at Derufin in the bright morning light with clear eyes of startling blue colour, her only link to her father.

"Is Sir correct? I do not wish to offend you."
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-25-2003, 04:42 AM   #707
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"The lady is called Niniel, Sir" Soronume replied on her behalf, noticing her obvious discomfort at Mardath, though he himself hadn't seemed to have picked up on it.

The more Mardath spoke to them sat at the table, Soronume realised that his earlier mistake had probably been unintentional. Even so, there was something about Mardath that made Niniel uncomfortable, which was enough for that little doubt in his mind to remain. She shifted in her seat, akwardly. "My'lady?" he questionned, "are you alright?" Niniel forced a smile back to him but no words escaped her mouth.

Mardath interupted, "so that's the way it is with the two o'you is it?" He chuckled at his own comment. Even Elwen seemed to find this mildly amusing and tried to hide her smile behind her glass. Soronume shot a glance back at Mardath and Niniel blushed and turned away...
Old 05-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #708
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aman pushed Derufin playfully. "Like I said, a long night! Honestly young man, if you continue with that rude nature, I will be forced to put you out of a job!" She wagged a finger at him mock-seriously. Derufin raised an eyebrow, grinning, and walked in, followed by Vanwe, who smiled bashfully at Aman as she scurried past.

Aman stood for a moment more on the step, letting the sun warm her face. As she surveyed the yard, she saw a figure standing near the stables. Silvanis, and rather shifty he looked as well. Aman wondered about it, and about the way Vanwe had seemed to uncomfortable about it, but for now she put it out of her mind as what Derufin had said came back to her. Something in it was nagging at her...

‘Thought you might have been hitting the ale early, m’lady. You called this place an inn in Bree. Too fond of the Prancing Pony, I think!’

She clicked her fingers together sharply. That was it! Barliman Butterbur had said he would come later on, with a few barrels of wine to discuss, for the naming ceremony. Now what time had he said he would come? Aman was sure she had written it down somewhere...with that, Aman turned back into the Green Dragon to begin another busy day.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #709
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Aproaching slowly toward the Green Dragon Inn trots a old, thin horse, looking as if it had been suffering from malnutrition for some time. Upon the creature's back sat a cloaked figgure with his head down.

As the figgure approaches the inn he dismounts and walks the horse into the stables. "Take good care of him, and feed him... if thou would" he said with a low trembling voice that sends a shiver down the spine of the stable hand. The shrouded man turns and walks toward the entrance to the inn.

He takes the doornob and turns it slowly opening the door. Stepping inside he removed his hood, revealing his pale jaded face, which looks aged far beyond his years, and a head of long straight white hair. The stranger walks up to a stool at the end of the bar and sits down and opens his pack letting his, which seemed oddly out of place with him, very rotund cat out of his pack, and allows it to climb up onto his lap.

He raises his hand and calls over the barmaids. "Would it be possible for a traveler to get some food and drink?" "Yes Sir" she replies, and walks away.

The Barmaid returns with his food and drink and he begins to eat when he feels someone pulling on his cloak. He turns around to see a young hobbit, no older then 12. He looks to the hobbit "yes, what is it child?" The little hobbit looks up at him "What is your name sir? My name is Dudo."
The man replies "One who is traied by death himself needs no name, but if you must, call me Cygnus." "ok" the hobbit replies, "Can I pet your kitty?" Cygnus looks down at the hobbit lad "alright."

He sits back as the young hobbit plays with his cat.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #710
Katt b
Pile O'Bones

Katt b has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Waen was awakened from her elven sleep,when a female elf quietly opened her door,she peeked in the door perhaps looking for someone and closed it again quietly.

Kit was beside her looking alert and Awake."Good morning,sunshine!"Waen reached over and caressed Kit's feathers."Well what shall we do today? Would you like to go and get a drink of water? I know I would."

Waen quickly got ready. She tied her long golden hair back out of her face and strapped her small bow and quiver of arrows to her back. "Come on Kit lets go."Kit ruffled her feathers and flew on to Waens shoulder.Waen headed down the hall to the commonroom.

When she approached the bar she saw Aman tidying up,she leaned over "Excuse me M'Lady could I trouble you for a glass of cold water?"Aman nodded and smiled.Waen thanked her and sat for a moment at the bar.

At that moment Kitathas squacked loudly from her shoulder."What is it?"Waen whispered to her,then something caught her eye,a man and a small hobbit boy were beside her playing with a cat.

Waen looked over at the man,who had looked at her when Kit squacked.

"Hello Sir,please excuse Kit she does not particularily like cats."Waen looked over at the feline."If you do not mind me asking,what is the name of your lovely feline?" Waen leaned over waiting for the man to reply.Kitathas screech quietly in Waens ear and she too leaned over,but to drink from Waens glass that she held in her hand.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #711
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Cygnus Looks up at Waen, "Trag'oul is her name, and your little friend need not worry, she does not eat the living." Cygnus takes Waen's hand and kisses it "my name is Cygnus, it is a pleasure to make your aquantence."

He lets go of her hand and turns to the food that had been just recently plaed infront of him. He picks up what he thinks to be bacon starts to nibble on it.

Tran'oul starts to purr lously at all the attention. She stands up and rubs against the hobbit's hand then jumps up onto the counter and engages in eating Cygnus' food.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: steve ]
Old 05-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #712
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

"So that's the way it is with the two o'you is it?"

Perhaps Mardath was more observant than most gave him credit for. Niniel blushed and looked away. She hadn't planned to tell Soronume, for fear of embarassing herself and him as well. She had no idea if Soronume shared her feelings, and certainly had not intended for some stranger to comment like that.

"Whoops! Seems 'twasna quite th' time for tha' remark, eh? Begging your pardon, Niniel was't? I dinna mean t'embarrass ye."

"I--it's all--all right. I--I--excuse me!" Niniel blushed furiously and hurriedly left the table. She slipped out of the front door and leaned against the wall, berating herself for her hasty exit but seeing no way to correct it without further embarrassment.

Behind her, she could hear Mardath saying confusedly, "Was't somethin' I said?"

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 05-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #713
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Alatariel burst out the door, running fast behind the hobbit. "Wait! I do not wish to harm you! I want to ask you something," she called after the hobbit. He ran around the side of the Inn and into the stables. Alatariel stopped, knowing that there was only one way out of the stables, besides jumping out a window. She walked inside. "You can't hide from me. I will find you!" she yelled into the stable.

She heard a noise over on the west end of the stables, but she was not easily fooled. Alatariel walked over to the west side of the stables, where Aranel was. Then, she crept over to the east side and crouched down in a dark corner against a stall. The young hobbit lad slowly crept out of a nearby stall. He scanned around looking for Alatariel, not noticing the small bundle against the stable. He quietly crept away. Alatariel jumped up and grabbed him by the shirt. "Got you!"

The hobbit yelped in shock. "Please, M'lady, I meant ye no harm. I-"

"What did you want with my mare?" Alatariel interrupted, not letting go of his shirt.

"Nothing, M'lady. I was jus' feedin' her. That's all. I like to stay at the Inn. The horses..." the hobbit was at a loss of words.

"Follow me," Alatariel said, not giving the hobbit much of a choice as she pulled him along with her. She took him into the Inn, and over to the darkest table in the darkest corner. She sat him down on a chair against a wall, leaving him with no escape path. "I saw your past. I know what kind of pain you went through," she said to him.

"M'lady, it is awkward talking to ye, for I do not even know your name," the hobbit lad said.

"The only name I can leave you with at this moment is, Marya," she answered, "What about you?"

"I'm afraid I can't leave ye any name."

"Very well then, I wanted to say that I have shared a similar past as you. When I helped you the other night, I saw your past, and I have had one so very much like it," Alatariel said.

"Well, them I'm sorry for what ye have gone through. I saw it too, and it was the same as mine. Now isn't that odd," the hobbit said.

"Yes, 'tis. Well, since we know each other’s past, why not talk about the present."

"Yes, so, Marya, what brings ye to the Inn?"

"I dun' really know. I guess my heart. What about you?" she answered sighing

"I stay here, I love the horses. I enjoy feedin' them. That's why ye startled me. I'm not used to the owner's coming up out of nowhere, as ye did," the hobbit said sighing.

"May I ask, if you saw my past, and you knew who I was, then why did you run away from me?" Alatariel asked.

"I dun' really know. I guess I thought talking to you would be like facing my past, and I wasn't sure if I could do that," the two continued in conversation, as the rain thundered down on the Inn's roof outside.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

Old 05-26-2003, 01:51 AM   #714
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Mardath looked around the table very confusedly. He had no idea what he'd done to make Niniel leave so quickly, and was at a loss for words, especially when Soronume gave him a glare that could very possibly have thawed Caradhras. He smiled a little, deprecatingly unlike his usual grin, in an effort to placate the elf.

"Was't somethin' I said?" he asked, in an effort to alleviate the silence that had descended on the table following Niniel's exit. Soronume frowned at him again, and got up, heading in the same direction as Niniel had gone.

Mardath watched him go. People were so complicated. He much preferred the animals of his woods and the simplicity of the woods. He'd not really been around civilized people before and now wasn't entirely sure he wanted to stay there. The last time he'd been around people had been twenty-two years ago, when his friend's wife had died.

That was who Niniel'd reminded him of. Jaron had had the same dark hair and Lenna had had the same big blue eyes. Only their daughter hadn't been called Niniel, so 'twas surely some other family. What was her name? Miri, yes, that's what 'twas. She'd only been four at the time and couldn't understand why her mama wasn't coming back.

'Tis odd, thought Mardath. That there should be twa such maids in th' world.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:41 AM   #715
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

The mug of tea was halfway to his lips when the memory hit him.

Sometimes, as he sat in the kitchen in the morning, the familiar sounds and smells of it sent his senses reeling back to those times he had spent here with her. He recalled the sunlight from the doorway on a day much like this, and how it had caught in the curly tangles of her long, black hair. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she spread the jam thick with berries across the surface of Cook’s sweet, dark bread. Taking her time as if it were the only task in the world she need get done. Her smile, how it inched up her face to crinkle at the corners of her grey eyes as she brought the bread to her waiting lips. Delight filled her at this simple repast and he had laughed as she offered a bite to him, her slender fingers brushing a sticky crumb from the corner of his mouth when he accepted . . .

Derufin’s thoughts were miles away when he heard the voice at the edges of his day dream. He brought his mug back to rest on the table as the pleasant memories receded.

‘What shall I call you?’

The words wavered and ran like ink on paper left to the mercy of the rain. Then coalesced, as if by some magic, tugging at his attention. His grey eyes darkened as he shook the memories from behind them and saw, once again, this Elf who sat before him.

He smiled as he brought her into focus, and the present reality slid firmly into place.

‘What should you call me?’ he asked, rephrasing her question. ‘Derufin, m’lady.’

He struggled to recall what else she had asked him. ‘And yes, we have some good oak planking for the shelves. It needs only to be cut to length, then sanded smooth, and waxed when once it’s pegged in place.’ He took a deep breath, returning to the business at hand. ‘When we’re done here, I’ll fit you out with tools and set you to planing and smoothing the planks once I’ve cut them to their proper length and drilled the peg holes in them. We’ll wax them once we’ve secured them, then help Cook put back the containers and sacks and jars as she wishes.’

Derufin pushed away from the table and leaned back in his chair. His long legs were stretched out comfortably in front of him, one ankle perched on the other. His hands rested on the flat of his abdomen, fingers interlaced. He cocked his head at his breakfast companion, regarding her closely.

‘And you, m’lady, since we will be working so closely together. What shall I call you?’
Old 05-26-2003, 08:47 AM   #716
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Léspheria, Lóthaniel and Fawain Slowly walked down the stairs together, it had been a long night for Léspheria the hobbit buttercup had showed her everything from allocating rooms to washing dishes and the dishes! they had seemed never ending.

"you will be staying for breakfast" she asked sadly as they reached the bottom of the stairs. They were both packed and now and their finery was now replaced by rangers clothing of greens and brown, they had already been down before the sun rose and prepared their horses while the rest of the inn slept. Lóthaniel smiled sympathetically at his sister saying softly taking her hand in his,"I am sorry but we have already eaten and we must be on our way we have already tarried to long."

She pulled him in, embracing him tightly whispering in his ear "do be careful brother, and promise me you will return." a single tear escaped her eye as he pushed her gentle back, raising her head in his hands and wiping the tear away. "Look at me, you know I can not promise that, but I will promise you that I will try." That being enough to satisify her, she turned to Fawain pulling her friend into the same embrace she had just given her brother, "I shall miss you," she said pushed her friend back slightly. Tears streaming down Fawain's face, but Léspheria looked into her eyes, searching her heart to find something to comfort the young woman she called her friend. "Remember you are strong, in heart and strength. You will face this evil and you shall prevail I know this in my heart," and she found that she really did. Léspheria watched them leave, as she turned back to the inn tears streamed down her soft pale cheeks, she now knew in her heart that they would return, but it did not comfort her grief at their departure.

She entered the inn and went straight to the kitchen thinking that no-one would yet be there, she had not even noticed Aman as she made her way to the kitchen. Apon entering the kitchen she was suprised to see people sitting at the long table having breakfast. She quickly wiped her tears away on the sleeve of her dress, as she did she saw more clearly who sat at the table, the Stablehand she had met the night before was sitting relaxed with his feet on the table chatting to a young Elf woman, she could also hear cook in the pantry. She took a deep breath to compose herself and took a seat quietly at the table not wishing to disturb their conversation. She then spied a pot of wild strawberry jam and warm bread, Fawain had introduced her to this comfort food long ago. A happly smile played across her face as she reached for the bread and jam, spreading it merrily and savoured the taste as the warm jam ran down her throat.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #717
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

OCC: Bekah, it doesnt work like that, or didnt last time I tried it with a different thread- once you've asked for notifications you can't stop them, I think.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:13 PM   #718
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Alatariel enjoyed talking to the young hobbit lad. It was a change from only Aranel. 'Twas such a horrible past... well, anyways, 'tis so lonely here at the Inn, everyone is off in their own groups, you just can't cut in,' Alatariel said to him.

'Yes, I know the feelin'. So very lonely. 'Tis amazing how I can stand it, for ye are the first person to talk to me in a very long time. There are other's like us who are by themselves, but they are caught up in their own lives, much to worried to talk to common folk like myself. How 'bout a drink? On me,' the hobbit walked away from the table, Alatariel watched him closely. He walked up to the bar and ordered to mugs full of ale, a drink Alatariel was not to fond of, for she did not like it that much. He walked back through the crowd, trying not to spill the ale. 'Here ye go, m'lady,' he handed her a mug. She thanked him, and they sat there in silence, rain pouring down from the sky and thundering upon the Inn's roof, deep in thought.

Alatariel took a sip of her ale. She was thinking of her past. It wasn't so bad once I think about it. Nothing horrible really happened. All I did was leave, and never saw my mother again, and it's not like I knew who my father was, Alatariel thought, the hobbit's past wasn't so bad either, there were those embarrassing times, but who really cares what people think? Still... She took another sip of her ale. An image appeared in her head, it was of an elvish man, brown hair, dark brown eyes, and he was outside, riding away from his home. It was then that Alatariel saw him; he was walking into the Inn. She felt some weird connection with him, but she did not know what. He walked across the Inn's floor and over to the bar. He put back his shawl, and ordered a drink. Alatariel watched him as he sipped his wine. Not knowing what it was with him she left the table, "Excuse me, but I must leave now, namárië."

"Goodbye for the present, m'lady," the hobbit said. After she had been gone for quite awhile the hobbit, got up and left to the stables to feed the horses.

Alatariel walked over to the man. She sat next to him at the bar, and ordered herself a drink. The man looked over, but paid no attention. She noticed he was short for an elf, much like Alatariel herself. He was at least twice as old as Alatariel. He drank down the whole wine in one gulp. Alatariel sat there, and waited.

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 PM   #719
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Sometimes, Vanwe thought, it was like clouds passed over his face and he was far away from where he was. It was a bold assessment to make and one she kept silently within her as she watched Derufin re-settle into the kitchen where he sat. And there was a sadness too, that she could easily sense for it was something that was not unfamiliar to her. Her blue eyes were keen as she studied him and immersed as she was with trying to understand this most unusual man she did not immediately notice Léspheria when she entered the kitchen and sat at the table.

So much of what she knew and expected of others was not, it seemed, applicable to Derufin. She mouthed his name, letting the sound of it settle in.

"Derufin..." It was a soft murmur. Not even his name was like the names she was accustomed to. He had asked for her name, and the memory of the last time a Man had asked her name heated her cheeks. She still remembered how he had chuckled as she related it to him shortly after being unwillingly apprehended as a smuggler. "Vanwe! Gift," he had snorted as he reviewed her toussled appearance as she had warily crouched. "Aye, make no mistake! The King would consider another scoundrel curtailed a gift indeed to his coffers!" And with that he had hauled her off to a dark place with bars and a stench of desperation that had eaten at her very soul. Her name was bitter, but it was the only thing her mother had given her aside from life. She could still hear the guard's sarcastic inflection that carried the strong accents of Gondor now, echoing through her memory.

She offered her name now quietly to Derufin, not exactly sure what to expect this time.

"Not m'lady... that would not be right. I am named Vanwe," she said as she glanced at his face for some hint of his reaction. She set her knife down and tucked an errant strand of golden hair back behind her ear.

"I will not need many tools, Derufin, and I can start whenever you wish, now even," she finished, his name feeling new yet good as she pronounced it. With a bright flash of exuberance, she smiled into Derufin's grey eyes as she spoke.

Léspheria's presence did not go unnoted very long by Vanwe. She shifted in her seat to regard the woman, a little unsettled by her failure to note her appearance but unsurprised as for Vanwe the world was on a shapr kilter around her and filled with newness.

Her surprise was replaced with a shy smile. Was this the other Elf that Aman had spoken of, she wondered? Utterly at a loss as to what to do upon encountering another Elf, Vanwe remained where she was reaching only with a smile towards Léspheria. Where did she come from? Did she know her mother, or Finarfin's kindred? Notes scratched hastily upon a piece of paper held now by Silvanis cropped into her already crowded mind.

"There is honey too," Vanwe said as she passed the pot down to Léspheria. "It's very good," she added by way of encouragement. Honey was something else Vanwe had discovered only that morning. She had eaten enough in one meal that would normally have kept her going over the course of several days. A full stomach was yet another novelty. Discovery after discovery, and the promise of Oak to fill her hands also. It was a morning that was overflowing with unlooked for bounty.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #720
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Eruanna stopped to listen to the rain, and decided to head inside. She stroked Istel once more, caressing her. Then she picked herself up and headed back to the inn. There were a great deal more people inside, but she still managed to find a lone table. She sat back, relaxed herself and watched the commotion. Again, she saw the elf-maiden.

Her eyes widened as she saw the elf-maiden chase a young hobbit-lad. To and fro they ran, under and around tables. Quite a sight indeed, thought Eruanna. Alas, after a vivacious trifle, the elf-maiden seemed to have caught up to the hobbit. The time had passed since the encounter, and Eruanna stay motionless, seated in some strange world of comfort. She got up and went up to the barkeep “Another wine, if you will,” she told the bartender. “Aye, here you go.” he said in reply, handing her a glass of the finest wine he had. “Thank you” she said.

Eruanna did not return to her seat, but instead stood. Towering over most around her, she listened to the rain, as it lulled her into a soft enchantment. It even seemed as though she could hear her song again, smooth and flowing, sad and graceful ‘twas. She opened her eyes, realizing that they were closed, and suddenly was jolted. The hobbit! Could it be? Of course, there was no doubt it was. Yet Eruanna made no attempt to find the young lass, not yet, not now. She looked around, hearing her song ever the more sweet to her ears, and she pondered if anyone could hear the song. Slowly, she took another sip from her drink, and set her glass down. She then leaned against a wall, and gently closed her eyes, listening to the distant music as if she had never heard it before.

Gently, as if unaware, she lifted her voice ever slightly. As if in a whisper, she sung once more, following the voice of the young girl. Together, they entered a world beyond imagining, their own wonderland, away from all else. They sung, louder and ever more graceful. Oh, how they sung, and as they did their very souls intertwined, and they knew everything about each other. They saw their past, and their presents and even the immediate futures were foretold to each other. They sung, louder and stronger, until alas, there remained only one voice.

Eruanna opened her eyes, and was back at the inn, and she stopped singing.