The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #1
Telemundowen

Sting All the People Who Sword-Fight

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Just tell me if you like sword-fighting or if it's too 'dangerous'. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2002, 03:22 PM   #2
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Katana or Claymore? You're always welcome at my place...... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A bastard sword is always useful... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

or a dia-katana...
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Those are all good, but what about lighter swords? A longsword's always good and sabers are fun. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Then there's all the short blades. A poniard for backstabbing, some throwing daggers... Sigh, so many weapons, so little time.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I know the moves from taking Stage Combat. But if faced with a true swordsman I would probably be killed. But I am sure I could always improve on what I do know [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:29 AM   #7
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I wish I could learn how.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:40 AM   #8
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been taking fencing for three years now(and I'm pretty good). I know the technicals of sword-fighting. With a real sword I might last about 20 minutes against an opponent with more experience in real combat. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]
Old 07-09-2002, 10:40 AM   #9
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like sword-fighting! Not that I know how to do it, but anyway... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I started to learn a bit at the role-play I went to almost 2 weeks ago, but for the moment...I am very bad. I would get killed immediately if facing a swordsman..
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:10 AM   #10
Ivy of the Woods
Animated Skeleton

Ivy of the Woods has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always wanted to know how to use a spear. There's got to be some skill to it. Too bad nobody makes spears anymore.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:05 PM   #11
Kaze
Haunting Spirit

Kaze has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sword-fighting...? Fencing I'm not bad at--but against someone with a real sword, I'd be dead in minutes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] There seem to be a lot of people here who want to learn some kind of weapons fighting.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:04 PM   #12
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

I got a new bow today!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm very happy bout that, now I just need to find a place to use it...
I think a bow is the only way I could possibly survive medieval combat. Shoot them before they can stab/cut/impale/decapitate or otherwise injure/maim/kill me. If that fails, run. Wearing all that armor must slow them down a bit. As for mounted ones... hm. Climb a tree. Always a good plan.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 AM   #13
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i take archery (i'm actually pretty good) and i've taken some fencing , i'm starting fencing more seriously in the fall. Sharp pointy objects? muahahahaha! small children, teachers and Orcs everywhere, BEWARE!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #14
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would love to learn sword-fighting, but no one teaches that around here. I have an old hunting bow (not old enough to be worth anything, just old enough to be crappy looking) but I haven't the faintest clue how to use it correctly. *sigh*
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #15
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I once tried shooting a bow, but I was too weak to bend it far enough. Most of the kids (it was at cub scout camp) had the problem of missing and it going too far, but mine didn't usually make it to the target.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:46 AM   #16
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i recently discovered my talent for sword-fighting, and (blushes) i am actually quite good at it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i havent even had lessons. i have actually already mastered the sword in all aspects (um.... on a diff. board....) but ihad to start again here.

ps. will post.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:41 AM   #17
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sword fighting! yes, yesss, my preciousss, we like that! i own a sword-a charles V type sword, but it's decorative, so it would probably break in actual combat. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] and i've told my parents i want a short sword and even given them a website name(http://bladerealms.com/), and they haven't been taking it seiously, i don't think. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] i also want to learn blacksmithing as well-very badly. and my dream sword is like this-someone who is familiar with greek myths will probably recognize where i got the idea, too-something light, with a two handed handle, and where the blade leaves the hilt, it is straight for a few inches, then the rest of the blade forms a half-moon or sickle-shape. probably around 3-4 feet long.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:26 AM   #18
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i would loooooove to learn the art of sword making as well as fighting. But fencing seems a bit (no offence) wussy. I'd like to learn the bow as well. So I will just go to the instructor down the street..... or not because i don't think there is one even on this little island i call home. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #19
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Lord Tohlos has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I am good with a claymor...I can last a while in actual combat. I am even good at multiple oponents. ((please note: claymor is how i spell it. i am scottish, so i have my own way.))

"Elves? Pah! I would rather fight with an army of Orcs then fight with Elves!"
Lord Tohlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:27 PM   #20
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Pipe

I'd LOVE to learn to sword-fight! If only there were schools or clinics or wherever you go around me! Nope, I live in a none-fighting boring little community! No swords in sight! But I can dream, can't I?
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 AM   #21
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I took some archery once. I was ok at it but I didn't get to do it for long. I would love to sword fight though!! It is so cool!! But thats all I can do.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:41 AM   #22
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

*pout*
Well, you're all much much better than me. I can't even do anything except play the piano and do ballet...sighh.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2002, 12:12 PM   #23
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

I have'nt taken any lessons in archery or sword fighting, but I am pretty good with a sword or bow. I can get within 2 inches of the bulls eye on a target with a bow. I would probally not last long in a real sword fight. I have fought my bro, but he always hides and cringes even with a plastic sword. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #24
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favored weapon is the catapult..heh

Realistically I have particapated in swordfighting in a sort( using sticks and busting them.) Get my *** kicked rather often. My better weapon is the bow, which I have yet to pick back up( shooting in an apartment complex isn't too wise) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Though I do own two bokkens( wooden katanas) which I practice with once in a blue moon.

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 08-14-2002, 04:44 PM   #25
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

This is cool. [img] [/IMG]
Old 08-14-2002, 04:46 PM   #26
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

oops see if this will worksmilies.de/rough/sword2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2002, 09:21 PM   #27
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

My parents said that i might be able to do fencing next summer. I might be good at it because i looked at how they used the swords and it looked a lot like the stuff i do in Tae Kwon Do and im kinda good at Tae Kwon Do.
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #28
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sword fighting is one of my favorite passtimes! But I find it difficult to find people my age (only 18) to fight with.

I can't wait to get Glamdring!!!

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM   #29
TiffiniJ

Sting

I would love to learn archery!

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo's Gurl ]
Old 08-15-2002, 07:07 PM   #30
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never taken any bow lessons but I won an archery contest out of 300 people, but that was years ago.

I would love to learn how to sword fight. My hubby loves swords. We have an oriental short sword on the top of the headboard in our room! It is beautiful.
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:18 PM   #31
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know how to use a sword but would love to learn. My husband and I are fasinated with knives and swords and have started a collection in our home. I took archery when I was younger and was pretty good, don't know how I would do today!!
Calenedheliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #32
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well as to learning archery, find an archery range, find out what type of bow you like( compound or traditional long ) and practice. You can also go an archery supply shop and ask, they could direct you where to go.

I never knew they gave lessons as I taught myself. You can even go online or self-help. It is very easy and does not require a second person to spar with! Its just the aiming and distant that gets you.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:23 AM   #33
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you live in the UK and are interested in swords/battles etc try the Sealed Knot. They may have a web site but are based around re-enacting Civil War (UK) battles which are too late really for Middle Earth officianados. I have friends who dress up as Vikings and smack the living daylights out of each other at every available opportunity but they are not internet active (They don't believe in it - too modern!) If I hear they're doing a demonstration I could post it here sometime and hope they'll still speak to me. As to my own sword skills. Basically non-existant. I have been a huge fan of swords since getting into King Arthur at an early age and have one that was made for me when I was 16 or so. It's a broadsword and I can't really lift it cause it's about 4ft long. I know how to use it but that doesn't really help. I watched it being made though which was interesting to say the least. As for archery. Don't ask. Perhaps I'm not the elf I thought I was there.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:32 AM   #34
Lucretia

Sting

I've always loved swords, and wanted to take fencing, but I never knew where to go to learn, or how much that would cost, and my parents are in huge debt, so I can't anyways... So sad, but I love swords, I don't imagine it being too dangerous or anything, unless you have no idea what your doing. (I don't, but I don't have a sword or anything...)
Old 08-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #35
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

A point is brought up by Auriel. There is one group that you can find both in Europe and the United States, the SCA, the society of creative anchronisim, a medieval reanactment group. They have a website along with the kingdoms attached. you can go to www.SCA.org and look from there. You can definately learn sword fighting there or at the least bit watch some entertaining stuff.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:38 PM   #36
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would love to learn any kind of technique in sword fighting, but don't know where to start. I have started a small sword collection, including a cheap reproduction of "Sting" from the movie. If anybody has any ideas on where to start, please post.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:23 AM   #37
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have absalutly no idea how to use a sword. And I've never used a bow either. If in combat my best weapon would be a sheild. I could hide behind it.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:01 PM   #38
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't now how to use those weapons, my best defence in a fight would be running, very fast and very far away from my ememy.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]