The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Among the Children of Illuvatar, who is the greatest magician?

Not counting Luthien (since she is half maia) among the Children, who was the most powerful and skilled magician ever to walk on M.E.?

Was it Feanor for the skill he showed when he captured the light of the Trees in the Silmarils?

Finrod Felagund who challenged Sauron and proved to be a mighty opponent?

The Witch King of Angmar, and the terrible infestations against Arnor and the power he had?

Celebrimbor and the rings of power he made?

Elrond with the rising of the river at his command?

Galadriel and the protective girlde around her realm, her mirror and her power to spy inside Sauron's mind?

The Mouth of Sauron, for all his might?

And when I talk about magic, it not only about spells... but also in the creations they did...

Who would you consider?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

well, i would say beorn(if he could be cointed among the children of eru) if not then i waouyld have to say feanor.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only true practicioners of magic (as we know the word) that we know of in M-E are Beorn and servants of the Enemy.

The magic of the Elves, as Galadriel explains to Frodo and Sam, is a far different matter altogether.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

She has not been mentioned, but Melian was no amateur. I believe it is hard to say who was the best or most powerful, because each deed done was for different purposes and in different situations. But i believe it is probably close to correct to mention Feanor and Beorn as front-runners. Also, (i am probably missing something here, correct me please if needed) if the lord of the Nazgul was once a *man* then does he qualify as a contestant? But i guess most of his power came from the will of Sauron itself. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

~Namarie~
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Like tinwelt said
it is hard to say who is best or most powerful, because each deed done was for different purposes and in different situations.

Quote:
But I guess most of his power came from the will of Sauron itself
I think you are correct most of their power came from the will of Sauron. But then again I may be wrong!

I would probably choose Feanor the creator of the Silmarils. I believe he was a genius because he first created the magical crystals filled with starlight, Elven-gems. And because he made “seeing stones” the Palantiri. But of course I could not leave out the forging of the Silmarils the three gems filled with the living light of the Trees of the Valar. The most beautiful gems in the world
But then of course it become a curse to Feanor’s race for Melkor destroyed the Trees of light and killed his father, took the Silmarils and like we all know fled to Middle-earth. Then in a later stage Feanor was slain by Gothmog the High Captain of Angband…ok sorry I am getting a little carried away, I am sure you know this already.

But I would also probably choose Beorn for he can change into a bear.

But I suppose each power they had was great and it is too hard to choose!

~Niluial

[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd say Celebrimbor, the creator of the Rings and grandson of Feanor. (greatness runs in the family). Celebrimbor always strived to create things more powerful and greater than anything before him.

But he did make a mistake when he let a stranger called Annatar aid in the forging of the Rings, and turned out to be Sauron. I guess even great peopel make mistakes......

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ahhh, so folly also runs in the family of feanor.