The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #41
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Hurray, the Barrowdowns are back! I am very glad and grateful to the Barrow-Wight and Thenamir. Anar Kaluva Tielyanna!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #42
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Looking Good Guys!

Glad to see it back to its normal self around here!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #43
Luinëaglariel
Newly Deceased

Luinëaglariel has just left Hobbiton.
It's Good to Be Dead Again!

I was once Dinenziliel about 10-12 years ago here. For some reason, something happened and I was unable to return to my barrow. Having traveled to several other sites to find a substitute, I discovered that there is no place like "home." This was the first forum I ever joined, and it was the best. I tried off and on over the past few years to return and today, I succeeded! Had to get a new email account and name, and it took about 45 minutes, but it's worth it! I am so glad to see Barrow Wight is still here! How wonderful to know that this has been saved--and thanks for Thenamir as well!

There is no better place to find genuine affection and insightful discussion for Middle Earth than BD. Along with others who have posted their heartfelt gratitude, I also have many fond memories and treasure what BD gave me in the past. I am anxious to get back to my little burrow and enjoy it all anew!

I shall now go shopping for an avatar! What joy!
Luinëaglariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #44
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nothing to do with the previous problem, but...

Does anyone else keep getting notices that "resource limit is reached" every other time you open the Downs or a link on the Downs? Downsing is becoming rather difficult for me because I have to restart my computer for nearly every different thread I want to open.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I do...but I dont have to restart just tfy again.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Does anyone else keep getting notices that "resource limit is reached" every other time you open the Downs or a link on the Downs? Downsing is becoming rather difficult for me because I have to restart my computer for nearly every different thread I want to open.
I've noticed an increased number of visitors the last couple of days, as in hundreds. Maybe that's a coincidence though, since historically there have been even more than that online at various times, with no apparent issues.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I do...but I dont have to restart just tfy again.
I guess it's my bad connection kicking in too.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #48
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I've seen it too--USUALLY trying again (or clicking on an alternative link--like "most recent post" instead of "newest unread post") seems to work, though it didn't one time (this morning I think). It's not as bad as the last round of errors, but it definitely is a forum issue not a single user's computer.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #49
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've had the same problem in the last few days. I had to try several times... and then sometimes ended up with triple posts to "Palantir of Fortune".
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #50
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Happened to me two days ago or so, and it gave me a fright, but refreshing the page worked well enough. Okay, and now it seemingly happened again. But the workaround: before you submit your post, select and copy the whole text of it, and in case it shows you the error, just refresh it and paste your text and try again.

Still, it is slightly inconvenient, so I'm wondering what is the source of the problem and if anything can be done about it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #51
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I blame Peter Jackson, because....well, just because.

Seriously, could it be connected to the higher than usual number of visitors, coupled with the recent upgrade?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Never got it before, but it happened today. Refreshing the page was enough though.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #53
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I'm still seeing the message. Refreshing once or twice does allow you into the site, but it happens again when clicking on a thread, or when going to any other part of the forum. Vexing!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #54
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Me to..and I have lost posts

Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #55
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Me to..and I have lost posts
I almost did but thanks to Legate's reminder I had copied the post and so could simply paste it once I got the page back.

I remember back in the day I always copied posts because they would be so long and a pain to rewrite, particularly for rpgs.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Posts can not be saved on a kindle

Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #57
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm chiming in late on the matter at the beginning of this thread, but I wanted to apologise for the fact that I cannot contribute at the moment, due to a pretty tough financial year.

I think the Downs is the best Tolkien forum on the net.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #58
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I don't know if its related, but, there has been an increase in both auto-bot & human-bot invasion & posts on a number of sites I frequent of late. The hits can be enormous. Most dont get far, but they can us up a fair amount of bandwidth.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #59
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I almost did but thanks to Legate's reminder I had copied the post and so could simply paste it once I got the page back.
If you forget to copy the text before sending it and feel like having lost it, you still have one option: many browsers allow you to click a "go to the previous page" - and at least with my Firefox it goes back to where I have been writing aka. I can get the text back from there.

Although with any longer posts like more serious discussions, RPG's, longer Werewolf analysis, or Arda Cup reports I tend to write them with Word and then copy the stuff to the Downs when there is always the original saved on my computer even if the site plays some tricks.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #60
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Posts can not be saved on a kindle
I hadn't realised that ereaders could do more than scroll text! I really must learn how to use this Kobo I was given.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #61
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
If you forget to copy the text before sending it and feel like having lost it, you still have one option: many browsers allow you to click a "go to the previous page" - and at least with my Firefox it goes back to where I have been writing aka. I can get the text back from there.
Google Chrome hasn't given me any problems with losing posts here during the "resource limited" occurrences. Just to be safe though the last week or so I've been right-clicking and copying any longer posts. Then all you have to do is paste it.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #62
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I hadn't realised that ereaders could do more than scroll text! I really must learn how to use this Kobo I was given.
Depends. My old style kindle keyboard 3g has a basic browser limited but useful at times.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #63
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

If the Downs reaches its resource limit when I'm posting, it usually still posts if I refresh the page enough times (good suggestion, the page refreshing! Thank you all for the idea!)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #64
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is it just me, or is it better now? Did The Barrow-Wight wave his magical deathstick and make the problems go away?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #65
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Is it just me, or is it better now? Did The Barrow-Wight wave his magical deathstick and make the problems go away?
You're reading my mind, sally. I was about to post that I'm not noticing any glitches anymore, but you beat me to it. Horray!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #66
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
For the past few days, I haven't seen the 200+ number of forum visitors either. Connection?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #67
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have had odd bits of deprecation though

Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #68
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I have had odd bits of deprecation though
One instance last night, but one refresh took care of it.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #69
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Had a couple today, but refreshing seems to make it go away.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #70
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have had it happen most times I have loaded a page but while refreshing makes it go and it isn't as intrusive as before ...

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #71
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I just wanted to chime in that I have been having some deprecation problems as well. Nothing as bad as before though...although in a way its more visually disturbing because I'm getting an alarming looking red message when it happens.

And when I posted this message I got an alarming stack of deprecation error messages.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 08-28-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added a subsequent occurance
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #72
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
So has everybody, I think...
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #73
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
So has everybody, I think...
Ah, when will the evil Serverman be brought to heel? White Rider, where are you?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #74
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I've noticed that the error messages seem to be most common when I'm actually replying to a thread, though it does occasionally happen at other times.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #75
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I noticed a funny thing happen. The error messages pop up almost every time I post, but as soon as I start moving the mouse towards the refresh button, they get scared, the page refreshes on its own, and it's all good. I only had to refresh the page once in two weeks.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #76
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am using a mini tablet on a dongle connection and I see thevmessages in a sort of hiatus beforvthe page loads my post properly. I don't have to do anything.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #77
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
After several anxious days, I believe the forum is back up and running. Please reply if any remnant problems remain.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #78
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir View Post
After several anxious days, I believe the forum is back up and running. Please reply if any remnant problems remain.
Nice work, Master Thenamir, and all others who contributed to getting this beloved place back up. I almost felt as if an old friend were in hospital in serious condition. What excellent news!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #79
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Exactly. Quite lost without this place and I was comfort knitting....

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #80
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir View Post
My initial response was to search for the like button but then I remembered we were back among the dead.

Thanks, Thenamir. Particularly appropriate for Canadian Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 10-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote