The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting costumes

Now that we are getting close to Halloween....Alright, so Halloween isn't that close but I would like to dress up as a Hobbit for it and if I want to put a costume together in time for it I need to start thinking how I'm going to do it now.

Is anyone else dressing up as LotR charicters for Halloween?

Do any of you have ideas for a hobbit costume?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Got the design for a couple elven gowns yesterday! I'm still trying to decide which dress to make, though.

Does anyone have suggestions for elven shoes? I have no clue what to put on my feet.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

Barefoot!!
I found a great site for patterns and costume ideas: ALL RELATED TO LOTR!!
LOTR costumes
I'm wearing Arwen's Blood Red dress. It also shows you how to make elf ears!!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

There are some ready-made costumes available Here
Old 09-24-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

Nah, that's for people who lack creativity, sorry if I just offended anyone, besides, I have found that it's not a wise idea to order stuff off the internet. It turns out looking like crap (again, sorry). I just prefer the good old fashioned way, that's all!!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Looks like every body has their own opinions. But anyway, I would like to dress up for halloween, I'd probably wanna be a ring wraith or arwen. Oh, and also my riding stable might have a costum contest, even dressing up the horses! LoL Hobbit horse.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:30 PM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yeah, I've been to that site before, Isilya. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything on shoes yet.

This is the pattern for my costume (I'm doing the one on the left):

It looks a lot like Arwens costume in this pic:
Old 09-24-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

That is the pattern I used... I did a combo of the left picture and the bottom right picture, as well as my own interpretation of one of Arwen's dresses (from The Art of the Fellowship). I also had an elven grey cloak made & I wore a sterling silver leaf brooch I picked up at a garage sale for $4. I have pics I took of it at the Ren Fest and I will post them on the board as soon as I get them scanned! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:17 PM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'm using that patten as well, only I'm doing the one at the top right. It's so pretty!

[ September 24, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:33 PM   #10
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I have a few plans for Halloween..

For actual Halloween Night at home- I am dressing up as a Nazgul. My brother and I have a wicked (:rolleyes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] plan! He is going to play evil sounding music on the piano and and I am also going to have a LOTR CD going on softly in the background. (set on the ring wraith tracks of course). I will be sitting on the porch, cloaked in complete black, my face hidden, with a bowl of candy on my lap. I will pretend I'm a decoration or something, and when the kids reach to get some candy, I'll spring to life. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] How fun is that!

For any parties or dances, etc- I am dressing up as a "Dead LOTR Fan" also known as a "LOTR Zombie". I will have a homemade LOTR teeshirt and the one ring on and a ripped and tattered cape, probably a sword, and some dirty boots if I can find them, on. I will paint my face gruesomely and put streaks of 'blood' all over me. I will walk around and keep asking people if they like LOTR, in a raspy voice. If anyone says no, I'll gasp and start writhing on the ground and shrieking, as if in shock. Then I'll chase them and screetch about how they're doomed. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 AM   #11
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haha! That's a great idea, DarkRose. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I don't celebrate Halloween, but I WILL be dressing up as an elf when I wait in line for tickets to The Two Towers. Not as a character, just a generic sort of elf scout; leggings, jerkin, wrist cuffs, boots, tunic and a cloak with an elvish type brooch. I'm going with a few friends who will also be elves. The best part is that my Mom agreed to let us make her a hobbit costume to wear! She has NO idea what she's gotten herself into(rubs hands together fiendishly).
Old 09-25-2002, 10:12 AM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Ha! That's great! I wish I could get my mom to dress up as a Hobbit! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:17 AM   #13
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
hey ppl! i am going out as myself, a hobbit, also 4 halloween! my costume is goin to be the clothes and acessories of my cousin, Frodo. (i noe, goin out as your cuz may sound weird, but i admire him, cause he's so cool)
then 4 my b-day/costume party, ima b the same. then 4 ttt, me, and my 5 friends r goin as a hobbit, my w/ barefeet and if they tell me i need shoes, im slipping on my sandals, a dwarf, wirzard, and elves. well, almost time 4 lunch! yay!!!! wonder what it is by the way. oh yeah i really need to find a maroon vest and collared beige shirt. ok well g2g 4 now! food food food food.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:23 AM   #14
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So totally dressing up!!
are you nuts who wouldn't!!
lucky for me i take GCSE textiles and am currently making a Gorgeous elven grey cloak!!textiles rules we can make anything so long as we can justify that it may be in a cafe. everyones making wall things boring!!

As for shoes the book describes them as thin and delicate, i always thought three leaves one for a sole and on on either side but for halloween i'm wearing sliver grey ballet flats or bare feet but how cold and dirty would you get!
I love the wraith thing though especially scaring everyone! i'd love to do that!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:23 AM   #15
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the links!

Also, for a less expensive route, you could look up the local SCA group in your area. There are plenty of people in the SCA who not only love to show you their work, but also teach you to make authentic period costumes very similiar to what you see in the movies.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:13 AM   #16
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On the weekend I had a LOTR party for my birthday (well, actually my birthday was in August... it was a little late [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and I dressed up as an elf. My sister made me a dress out of white material... it was really long, and had sleeves which opened out at the end. I had bare feet and I made myself a circlet out of glass beads and wire... it looked great!
One of my more insane friends came as a "gay Legolas" - she had a gold wig, really tarty make-up, tights and a long green t-shirt with a belt around her waist. She also had a bow and arrow she got from a toy shop!
Another of my friends came as a Black Rider, what she did was wear lots of blakc in layers. She had a long black skirt, then over that another long black skirt around her armpits, a black top, yet anotherblack skirt around her shoulders and and a black cloak over it all, and on her head she wore a black halloween mask, one which allows you to see out, but no-one else ca see in... we all looked really cool.
I was thinking of being a hobbit, before my sister offered to make me a dress, these were my ideas:
Loose, dark-coloured trousers cut off just below the knee, a shirt with baggy sleeves a sort of dinner-jacket thing I found in my wardrobe (honestly no idea where it came from!) and possibly a green cloak over the top of it all.

Hope these ideas help you!

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: Alatàriel ]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:33 PM   #17
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am dressing up also. I will be using the light blue dress that is shown in the picture above (upper right corner). I have 4 other cousins going with me (2 male hobbits, one dwarf and another female elf.)

I am having a deep navy (almost royal)blue cape made, she is going black, both are velvet.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote