The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #1201
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign cooler weather to the shire. It is finally getting down into the lower 80's here in Texas so that we can actually go outside and do some rigorous sports without sweating to death. We can actually open the windows in our house!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #1202
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Contrarily I will assign a lovely September weekend after a dire summer - and being able to open windows for the reverse reason!

And Springer spaniels. I took the ancient parent to his favourite pub for lunch and there are some regulars who have a lovely but venerable Springer who has now been joined by an adorable 14 week old pup. Gorgeous ... even though I am really a cat person, I'd be tempted if I weren't out at work all day...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #1203
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I assign meeting a very dear friend who lives far away and having spent two blessed days with him.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #1204
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The perfect shade of dark red lipstick. Not scarlet, not crimson... just deep, dark wine red.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #1205
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
The perfect shade of dark red lipstick. Not scarlet, not crimson... just deep, dark wine red.
Aww. But I prefer the pinkish one. Not fuchsia or bright (gay) pink, but not too pale either.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #1206
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Aww. But I prefer the pinkish one. Not fuchsia or bright (gay) pink, but not too pale either.
I don't think I'm social enough to handle the pinker tones... Either I go without and rely on Burt's Bees chapstick (mmm) or I'll stain my lips lovely raspberry or plum tones. But there's something about a confidence boosting shade of lipstick that takes you from a minor meltdown on your bedroom floor to ready to go Out.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #1207
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I don't think I'm social enough to handle the pinker tones... Either I go without and rely on Burt's Bees chapstick (mmm) or I'll stain my lips lovely raspberry or plum tones. But there's something about a confidence boosting shade of lipstick that takes you from a minor meltdown on your bedroom floor to ready to go Out.
My age makes it unsuitable for me to use the darker ones. Either that, or my age and the social space wherein I move, where teenagers and young adults with red lipsticks are equated to mga babaeng mababa ang lipad. Oftentimes though I go out with only some magnolia scented talcum powder.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #1208
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
My age makes it unsuitable for me to use the darker ones.
Fair enough. Mine is certainly a shade for night time, when shadows deepen. And until recently, going out at night didn't seem all together like something I ought to be doing. Now I've come to realize that I simply don't care. Quite the revelation... In fact, one I suspect deserves its own assignation:

I assign the realization that it really doesn't matter. That if something makes it past my conscience, and if my integrity gives it the go-ahead, that's all I need.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #1209
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I assign cooler weather to the shire.
Me too, though I suppose my idea of cooler weather at this time of year differs a bit from yours. We've had it like 7-10 C (about 43-50 F, I think) for the last week, which was awesome. This week is going to be a bit warmer, though - today I could go to school in a T-shirt.

And red trees. Amazing.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #1210
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I assign... going to sleep with a tiny (large-mouse-sized) baby possum curled up against my neck.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #1211
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You adopted the one your cat brought home? Cute.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #1212
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Defeating the evils of modern technology! I have fought the effects of Firefox and all but won, only one thing flashes up now and that's a computer thing not an internet one. Mwhaha Firefox, you have been beaten.

Ooh, also, small children who randomly hug and kiss you throughout the day.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #1213
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign that I properly learned the akkusativ in my German class today! Yay!

Legal Madness.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #1214
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
You adopted the one your cat brought home? Cute.
Not permanently– the other cat's a hunter, and clearly had designs on it. We took it to a wildlife shelter.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #1215
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign to the Shire the University of the Philippines Writers Club's eighty-first anniversary today! Long live the Writers Club! (Even though fifty or so years of that was spent on hiatus. )

Legal Madness.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #1216
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Movies that really succeed in capturing the atmosphere of the book they're based on. They are rare these days and therefore belong to the Shire.

I'm not sure, though, if hobbits had enjoyed The Hours or Blindness, but I don't care. They belong to my personal Shire.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #1217
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saving the environment by recruiting the rabid members of a national student business organization. Boy do I know how to delegate.

No, seriously, though... it feels really good to know that I picked the right person for the job. Major problem, and rather than me going off on some crusade by myself that I wasn't likely to win, I talked to one person, she talked to one person, there was a cabinet meeting, and now it's being fixed. It took 24 hours. W00t.

Yes. I said w00t.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #1218
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Being done with the first set of final exams. Now I can - like my lovely creative writing teacher said - stop reading and start writing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #1219
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
I assign cooler weather to the shire. It is finally getting down into the lower 80's here in Texas so that we can actually go outside and do some rigorous sports without sweating to death. We can actually open the windows in our house!
Seconded - and I also assign not being in Texas.
It's getting down into the lower 60's here in NY, so we can actually *close* the windows and start drinking hot coffee again.
Hmm, I assign coffee, too.

Last edited by Rikae; 09-26-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #1220
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
I assign that I properly learned the akkusativ in my German class today! Yay!
German grammar belongs to Mordor, not the Shire.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #1221
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My creative writing teacher. Not only is she probably the funniest teacher I've ever had, she's also very nice and very lenient with timetables. Oh, she's great.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #1222
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
It's getting down into the lower 60's here in NY, so we can actually *close* the windows and start drinking hot coffee again.
Hmm, I assign coffee, too.
I have a fire place in my apartment that I've been itching to light up...

*drinks hot tea*

Oh yes... autumn in NY is my favorite.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #1223
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Seconded - and I also assign not being in Texas.
Hey! Those are fighting words! Which reminds me, I need to change my sig.

I second Feanor's assignments, fireplaces and autumn. I aslo assign staying up late just to talk with my younger brother about his life.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #1224
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
My creative writing teacher. Not only is she probably the funniest teacher I've ever had, she's also very nice and very lenient with timetables. Oh, she's great.
Seconded.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #1225
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Oh yes... autumn in NY is my favourite.
Autumn in general is the awesomest season, though I agree it's generally prettier down east than here on the prairies. Still the best season all around, though. Not only is it easily the nicest weather wise, avoiding the extremes, it's also got all the best sights and smells (harvest time), as well as epitomising the whole sense of "bittersweet." It's no coincidence, after all, that Frodo sailed from the Grey Havens in autumn.

Definitely assigned to the Shire.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #1226
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Well, not the whole thing. I may pretend to be able to write in German at times, but I can never pronounce it to save my life. But the fact that I learned properly the basics, that I assign to the Shire!

I assign too the very successful anniversary stuff of UPWC. And the free dinner that came after it.

I also assign the fact that today, it did not rain!

Legal Madness.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #1227
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I assign intriguing small languages. I was studying Swedish yesterday and came across some words in the language of the sámi people (the indigenous people of Lapland, in case someone doesn't know) and it was just very intriguing, it has a distinct sound and power (I love a certain sámi language singer, Mari Boine Persen, her songs demonstrate this power vey well) and besides I realised I can pronounce it correctly even though it's supposed to be difficult (at least for Swedes ). Also, for example the so-called "click-languages" of small African tribes are very fascinating, I'd love to learn one of them (I just love those click-sounds, they sound so cool ).
Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #1228
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on this one. German grammar is about the loveliest thing there is, second only to German pronunciation.

*sends German to the Shire*
Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #1229
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I was studying Swedish yesterday and came across some words in the language of the sámi people (the indigenous people of Lapland, in case someone doesn't know) and it was just very intriguing, it has a distinct sound and power (I love a certain sámi language singer, Mari Boine Persen, her songs demonstrate this power vey well) and besides I realised I can pronounce it correctly even though it's supposed to be difficult (at least for Swedes

There are one or two sami speakers in my community and when there was a cultural fair/get together they were teaching and sharing a bit of it. It reminds me in a way of Tingit or Aleut. It definately belongs in the shire.

Another thing that needs to belong in the shire is after some nine odd years, hearing the same Inuit song my teacher taught my second year class on the radio. Then proceeding to cry for no apparent reason.

So, good memories and my favourite teacher I assign to the shire.

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 09-27-2008 at 12:03 AM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #1230
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
HOW DO YOU SURVIVE 80 DEGREE WEATHER?!?!?!?! I can barely stand 74. Really...

I will also assign not being in Texas, they have this ego thing, thinking they are the greatest thing ever, well Alaska totally is better! We're bigger, we're better! Plus, it doesn't get too bloody freakin' hot here!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #1231
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Me too, though I suppose my idea of cooler weather at this time of year differs a bit from yours. We've had it like 7-10 C (about 43-50 F, I think) for the last week, which was awesome. This week is going to be a bit warmer, though - today I could go to school in a T-shirt.

And red trees. Amazing.
Speaking of weather, it's been about the same temperature wise here. I like being up north!

I also assign mountains to the Shire! Yesterday after church, my family drove up the mountains! It really is nice living in a city surrounded by mountains! It was quite high though, and it doesn't help that I don't like heights...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #1232
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign babies. I know, grouchy Fea who doesn't want kids? Assigning babies and wee ones to the Shire?

Okay, so I spent the weekend at home, and my cousins' spawn are downright adorable. Filthy. I don't want to know what got on me when I picked up maternal second cousin #8, but he's a year old and he cuddles...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #1233
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I assign babies.
I could second that!

Mountains! Yes, right on Lady Great! I live in the hill country in Texas and it is absolutely beautiful, the bigger those hills get the better it becomes.

I assign Autumn colors to the Shire. We don't get much change in the leaves where I live, but just seeing pictures from Vermont and Michigan, with their orange, yellow and brown maple trees, makes me smile.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #1234
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
HOW DO YOU SURVIVE 80 DEGREE WEATHER?!?!?!?! I can barely stand 74. Really...
Indeed, how can you survive 80 degree weather? I am used to let's say 20 degree weather...

Anyway, I would second what several people already did, and that's the autumn weather/colours/well, the whole season. At least this far I like it, let's see whether in the future I won't desire for warm summer or something...

And I also assign the start of a new school year, at last, it is great to be back at the faculty (again, at least this far... )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #1235
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I third mountain views and fall colors -

- though I do miss the red maples of Michigan.

I also would like to assign road trips where you eat no food that day save what you buy at gas stations, see views you've never seen before, and dare to walk to the edges where you'd never dare be before.

The realization that there truly is no water clearer than a mountain lake.

Gorges, canyons and an overabundance of pine trees.

Listening to a river you can barely see.

The ability to release the pressure in my own ears without the aid of gum.

The color green.

Oh, and pizza.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #1236
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Beautiful picture, Oddwen, what a perfect combination of colors.

Quote:
I will also assign not being in Texas, they have this ego thing, thinking they are the greatest thing ever, well Alaska totally is better! We're bigger, we're better! Plus, it doesn't get too bloody freakin' hot here!
Hold one there. I have no argument with our country brothers in Alaska, but saying that Alaska is better than Texas is going way too far! Texas: sunshine all year round; Alaska: thirty days of darkness! Texas: Cowboys, guns, and rodeos; Alaska: Eskimo's and ice fishing! Texas: pleasant warm weather all year round; Alaska: cold weather all year round and flies in the Summer!

As for that ego thing I don't know what your talking about. Texas can survive without America, but America can't survive without Texas! Nope we don't have an ego problem!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 09-29-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #1237
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ignoring the fact that they wouldn't fit in...

Boys in eyeliner. Mmm.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #1238
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Clear night skies! Just one of those nights where you can sit on the back porch with your family and try and find constellations.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #1239
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Autumn: the scent of rotting leaves, the fresh brisk winds, the way fallen leaves always make me feel like a five-year-old... One evening I was walking in the park and suddenly felt a strong urge to start throwing leaves all over myself, or even better, at someone else. Then I started wondering why autumn always makes me feel so childish, then realised that actually winter - and spring - and summer have the precisely same effect on me...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #1240
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Boys in eyeliner. Mmm.
I'm assuring you aren't referring to emo teenaged boys with those extra-fashionable slashes and scars and cigarette burns on their arms and wrists and who bang their heads to MCR all day long....

I assign to the Shire my professor of Greek and Roman literature, who gave us a really lenient deadline and a very flexible choice of the topic for our term paper.

Legal Madness.