The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2002, 08:51 AM   #1
NicktheOrc
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Witch-Realm of Angmar, a.k.a. some place in Australia
NicktheOrc has just left Hobbiton.
Ring I just got the Silmarillion. How long will it take for me to read?

The name says it all.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:53 AM   #2
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you're going to read it all, it will probably take a few hours. And probably longer.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:57 AM   #3
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

I suppose it depends on your reading speed, but I would advise you to take notes on the characters unless you're good at remembering names. There's a lot!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Read it and find out.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:17 AM   #5
NicktheOrc
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Witch-Realm of Angmar, a.k.a. some place in Australia
NicktheOrc has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I just finished reading it a minute ago. Thanks for the advice. This topic can be closed now!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 AM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You should probably read it again if you expect to remember anything. Unless you can remember who Nom is, you need to read it more.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:41 AM   #7
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It really depends how fast you read and how hard you concentrate and stuff, it could take from a few hours to over a month i suppose.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:53 AM   #8
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

<font color=white> You seemed to read that pretty fast, so I'm somewhat doubtful about how much you actually remembered! Oooh pop quiz! OK....who was Queen of the Stars (hint ^~~) lol Who was Turin? What happened to Beren and Luthien? And if you haven't the faintest idea who they even are (WITHOUT peeking in the book!) I seriously recommend you reread it. (of course I have still to get round to reading the entire thing through - i jump about from bit to bit and I still haven't read it all)

~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-11-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

It will probably take forever for me to finish it. I read the first few chapters and didn't read very much because I was reading multiple books at the time. Now I refuse to read anything right now, I don't have enough time to get hooked on a book this week or next week. Also, it will take me longer to read the Sil because of the form it is written in. Does it get easier as get further into the book?
Old 07-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #10
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Quote:
It will probably take forever for me to finish it. I read the first few chapters and didn't read very much because I was reading multiple books at the time. Now I refuse to read anything right now, I don't have enough time to get hooked on a book this week or next week. Also, it will take me longer to read the Sil because of the form it is written in. Does it get easier as get further into the book?
The whole bit about the Song is just darn hard to read. After, though, when you get into the actual chapters, it's no harder than Lord of the Rings. Easier, even, as long as you can keep everyone straight. Which is why I highly suggest taking notes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have been reading the Silmarillion for the past four years! It has taken me that long to fully comprehend the contents of the book and apprecaite the work that was placed into.

I have found taking notes is the best way. If you want to see some examples, see my site, I have cliffnotes of the Silmarillion I have began since the end of last year.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 08-16-2002, 02:56 PM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This topic has been moved to the Novices and Newcomers forum. You may read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:50 PM   #13
Cathryn

Sting

hey, thanks guys, i was wondering that too...
Old 08-18-2002, 08:28 AM   #14
Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Wraith
Sting

i've got it aswell and it's really hard to get into. it looks really complicated [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 04:30 PM   #15
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have had it for months but get time to read infrequently. To make it harder, when I do try to read I usually have little ones interrupting every minute and a half. It is a difficult book to read without interruptions, to say the least. I don't think I'll finish it till they are out of the house!
Old 08-18-2002, 10:07 PM   #16
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I finished it on vacation after having it about a week. Actually, technically I didn't finish it... I never got to finish the Akallabeth [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]. *Sigh* I'll just buy it sometime...
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #17
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I've read it through totally twice--once when it first came out, and once this past year. It was slow reading both times. And there are still many details which go flying out of my mind. The time when it really sinks in is if I look up something for a specific purpose. It might be for an RPG or to answer question on this board or to compare it with something in HoMe. That's when the stories and characters really sink in.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]