The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Dakęsîntrah
Animated Skeleton

Dakęsîntrah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dakęsîntrah
Silmaril Ungoliant

I prefer her earlier name of Múru - "Primeval Night" (The Lost Road) over her other names of Gwerlum, Wiriómë or Ungweliantë.

Her terrifying aspect ranks near the top of Middle Earth terrors in my mind. However, her primal power was so great, I cannot but admire her.

So, recently, I had begun my own little quest on the Internet in the hopes of possibly finding images of her so as to satisfy the lust for her in my mind's eye.

However, I am afraid to say hardly any images really do any justice to how I had perceived her.

John Howe's drawing is the one I liked the best, but it is pretty mediocre to what I envision.

First of all, why must Morgoth always be depicted as this blundering fool with full plate armour on?

Secondly, and most importantly, why must Ungoliant be portrayed undersized?

Being Primal Night and being able to suck whole light out of the atmosphere, blocking out the sun and the moon and the titanic trees of Valinor - I see her in this light as this immense shadowy figure, towering up to the heavens, as big as a mountain, her legs stretching for miles, mayhaps. I would envision Melkor's stature paling in comparison to this titan.

Here is John Howe's depiction. I respect Howe's talent and creativity, but I do not believe he did any justice to the Dark Spider.

http://angel.cs.msu.su/~salnikov/gil..._two_trees.jpg

Last edited by Dakęsîntrah; 01-01-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Dakęsîntrah is offline   Reply With Quote