Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #801
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Durelin -

That's a good idea about the reappearance of those who are still outside the grove.

I am waiting on Hilde's post but once Lindir is through helping there, he can charge back to the center to fight. Folwren - could you bring Kwell into this? There's also the possibility of people fighting who are in the grove but who haven't fought up till now. Tevildo - perhaps Dorran and/or Azhar??

I also need to check with Pio on Rôg and Aiwendil's stance in all this. Once I get that clarified, I'll put up a save.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #802
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll be posting soon and likely have Khamir run off to help Shae, and then the two can come racing back to help out, unless Brinniel objects.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #803
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Child, Carl's post is up. Sorry to have taken so long with it, but it was a fun one! Perhaps, Carl and Dirand's alarm at having the slaver so close to the boulders could be a tip off for the enemies? Also the slighter of the two slavers, the one knocked down by the horse, could be either alive or dead. I leave that up to you.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 01-13-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #804
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Good ideas pouring in!

Maybe we should indeed have a breach from where a few slavers break in to the grove. That could also be a natural place for Hadith to try and rise up - whatever would follow from that.

About those who could come to help ie. being still "outside", I think Beloan and Qat fit the description. Last time we met them, they were by the trenches. After that they must have met Dorran to give Fewerth to him to carry away. Then they must have started towards the grove.

Durelin: I like your idea of upgrading Beloan and most of the things you had sketched in the Bio looked just as I have thought him. Maybe a couple of vices too and then some outlooks? I'll try to think of them too.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #805
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I had not planned to bring Kwell back until it was all over, but I can if you like.

Not tonight, though. We're watching the Extended RotK tonight for the first time since.....well, two years, at least.

-- Foley
Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #806
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Brinniel

Let me know if there are issues with my post. Also, would you like to/do you have the time to take it from there? You could just continue just their conversation...moment...whatever ...or you could move both of them toward the grove for the final final stand, or both.

I'm fine with doing another post soon to have them running back, though, if you'd like/need me to.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #807
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The post I started earlier is finished. I had started working on it on a computer at school and was mid-sentence when the bell rang. Only the last two paragraphs are really new.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #808
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Goodness me. I haven't been on the BD for a few days and suddenly this thread gets busy. Never fear...now that I'm back in my dorm again, I should be on more often...

Durelin, for the most part the post looks fine. I actually had Shae walking away from the two bodies when she was attacked, but I figured she hadn't gotten far, so they should still be very visible- she's just not directly next to them.

I'm just a little confused on this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Then the one-armed man whirled around and leapt forward the help Shae; it appeared to him that she couldn’t tear away from the slaver’s grip…he would run her through in a moment if he didn’t…

The woman yanked her shirtsleeve from where it had been caught in the golden armour, tearing a small piece of it in the process. She looked a bit flustered, and she was wounded, but she stood steadily.
In the transition to the next paragraph, was it Shae that killed the other slaver? You didn't seem to mention it, so I'm a bit puzzled...

I'm going to bed right now, but I think I'll try to put up a response sometime tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #809
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, sorry, I'll make appropriate edits, and have Shae walk away from Khamir back to the bodies.

Yes, Shae killed the other slaver...Khamir thought she needed help, but really she had already killed the man, she was just stuck for a moment. Too corny? Probably.

I'll edit to clarify that, as well.

Please let me know if there are other problems.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #810
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Child, what do you want Kwell to do upon arriving at the encampment? How many slavers are left? What still needs to be done before the end is achieved?

I apologize about not getting a post up. Our power was out for a day and a half and I've been busy since... Hopefully today.

-- Folwren
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #811
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
How many slavers are left? What still needs to be done before the end is achieved?
The slavers seem to be dying with a good pace indeed...

I guess in the end they must all die or realise the situation and ride away for their lives. I think the second option more plausible and also as a possibility to give our orcs some action. Think of it: a band of drunken orcs against a few battle bruised slavers in the slaver-camp!

If you still think the breach is a good idea, I could write that on thursday evening (+2GMT), making maybe three slavers get into the grove and do some damage. We could get some of the women wounded or killed and Hadith would get a reason to get up. If someone wishes to write the breaching before Thursday, that's just fine.

If we think that the last slavers will run for their lives, we should make a decision of how many of them would escape (and who they might be if there are any already named ones doing the runner) and when.

Two sidenotes on NPC's:
- Beloan and Qat are free to be used I think. Khamir and Shae might meet them if they were in the direction of the trenches as B & Q are coming from there?
- Khala and Cuáran can be used in the grove; two middle-aged women who are pretty good at first aid and will anyhow be rushing around there to help anyone they think need help.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #812
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
If you still think the breach is a good idea, I could write that on thursday evening (+2GMT), making maybe three slavers get into the grove and do some damage. We could get some of the women wounded or killed and Hadith would get a reason to get up. If someone wishes to write the breaching before Thursday, that's just fine.
Nogrod -

Could you hold up on that?

Rôg and Aiwendil would like the honor of chasing the last culprits out of the camp, since they've not had a chance to get their blows in yet. Azhar has also agreed to help set up this scene. There will be a final few slavers--fierce and determined and initially unwilling to flee who actually kill a few women and/or children.

Azhar has agreed to be the first one to see the small group break through and ask Rôg for help. I will put up my own save and hopefully fill it in late tonight or tomorrow. That will be a lead-in for Pio's post.

I do need to check on the number of slavers still alive and likely won't get that done till tonight. I promise you, however, that at least two will be alive to make it back to the slavers' camp thinking to retrieve their possessions. The confrontation between the Orcs and the remaining slavers is fine but we would want to make that a short and sweet appetizer to get on to the main course, which is the confrontation between the Orcs and the freed slaves/fellowship. It will be extremely interesting to see who wants to mow the drunken orcs down in their tracks and who will respond to a plea for mercy.

Folwren -- It sounds as if you have your hands full now. If you'd like, you can just bring Kwell back late to the camp after things are over and see that a few women and children have been killed. That's good for some guilt! If you prefer, however, you can bring him back in enough time to do damage to one slaver and perhaps save someone's hide among the women. We've been vague about slaver numbers up till now, and I'm sure we can squeeze one more out. Just let me know what you prefer.

I've also been having access and utility problems. We've had freezing rain -- very rare for where I live, since Houston is more like Umbar! Several of the area schools are cancelled, and none of our power lines are protected underground. Two of my utility "legs" are up (we have 3) but one is damaged, which means lights are flickering periodically. Very weird.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #813
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod - Could you hold up on that?
Surely. If you have plans for the breach already, the better.

Quote:
The confrontation between the Orcs and the remaining slavers is fine but we would want to make that a short and sweet appetizer to get on to the main course, which is the confrontation between the Orcs and the freed slaves/fellowship.
Indeed. The thing I was thinking was that the ex-slaves & the FS will probably not move on to the slaver camp immediately (at least "writingwise") so the writers of the orcs have little to do but to wait (RL terms) and get more drunk (storywise). So to that a few beaten slavers would be something like variation before the ex-slaves finally arrive there...

But as an appetizer, of course.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #814
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Folwren -- It sounds as if you have your hands full now. If you'd like, you can just bring Kwell back late to the camp after things are over and see that a few women and children have been killed. That's good for some guilt! If you prefer, however, you can bring him back in enough time to do damage to one slaver and perhaps save someone's hide among the women. We've been vague about slaver numbers up till now, and I'm sure we can squeeze one more out. Just let me know what you prefer.
Having full hands is a mild way to put it, actually. Today, Mom and Pop told me I need to figure out admissions to college and corresponding classes and all that stuff and I've been running around the internet for an hour to no avail. I can't find a THING on distance learning or correspondent classes!

Anyhow, Kwell...um...how about you all carry on and I'll get a post in for Kwell when I can. But you asked specifically for me to bring Kwell back into the glade and I wanted to know if that was absolutely necessary. Because if it is, I can do it, but if it's not, I'm more inclined to be 'lazy' and not write a post until after the battle. A post for Kwell, that is. I do intend to write something for Athwen.

Quote:
I've also been having access and utility problems. We've had freezing rain -- very rare for where I live, since Houston is more like Umbar! Several of the area schools are cancelled, and none of our power lines are protected underground. Two of my utility "legs" are up (we have 3) but one is damaged, which means lights are flickering periodically. Very weird.
In Houston? Wow. I know the storm was wide, but I had no idea that Houston would get freezing rain. We had freezing rain and some trees fell over the powerlines, that's why we were out for a while.

I need to get back to my college research. Have fun.

-- Folwren
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #815
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Nogrod - In my latest post I placed Beloan already fighting in the grove. But that can easily be changed if it's better he still be back nearer to the tunnel.

And just as a note, while we're kinda on the subject of *college*, I just want to let everyone know that Friday and Saturday I will be away for a scholarship competition (creative writing...woohoo), and will likely not be able to get online at all those two days. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let people know, particularly since we're trying to coordinate the wrapping up of this battle.

(On that note, I am going to ask for a shameful, shameful favor if anyone has lots of free time in the next couple days and is extremely bored: I want to take a short sample of my roleplaying along, just in case I get the opportunity to show them what I spend so much of my time doing...I would really really appreciate it - really times a thousand! - if anyone could let me know if they think any of my posts, in this RPG or others, really stands out as a good example. I don't care about taking it out of context or anything, so it can be anything...I just need the best written example I can find, and I am a poor judge.

If you remember the basic idea of the post but don't want to have to look for it or anything, please don't, but if you could let me know what you remember of it, I can probably find it.

So, if anyone's looking for something to do on a lazy weekday afternoon... Thank you so much!!!

And sorry for littering the discussion thread. Just let me know and I'll delete all that nonsense.)

Edit: I made edits to my last post. Hope it looks alright now, Brinniel.

Last edited by Durelin; 01-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #816
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin and Folwren,

Good luck to you both with college related activities. Our family went through this last year and I know it can be a giant headache. Durelin -- I'll try to eyeball both games we're in together and see what I come up with in terms of posts. You have many good ones.

Folwren -- Don't worry about doing a post for Kwell now. We're fine without the extra post. I like your latest piece for Athwen.

We're supposed to get an ice storm tonight. The areas north of town are the worst hit. Someone from the northern U.S. (or Scandinavia ) would laugh to see how the tiniest bit of ice or snow can tangle up my city. Hopefully, our power will hang in there.

This is affecting large chunks of the country. My 95-year old mother lives 1,000 miles from me, and she had to be evacuated due to ice and power outages.

After Tevildo gets a post up, I'll go ahead with mine.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #817
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

My city freaks out when it rains...

Thank you so very very very much, Child!

Folwren - I'll have Vror wake up once your schedule is a lot less busy, and Athwen can be the first to discover what permanent damage has been done. Good luck with college stuffs! 'Tis a pain.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #818
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
My city freaks out when it rains...
Harhar. That's funny. We can hold up under pretty tough weather, most of the time, down here.

Quote:
Folwren - I'll have Vror wake up once your schedule is a lot less busy, and Athwen can be the first to discover what permanent damage has been done. Good luck with college stuffs! 'Tis a pain.
lol! If you could write a post tonight or tomorrow, I might have a fair chance of getting a post up in reply tomorrow or Thursday. And I will be writing a post for Kwell sometime within today, tomorrow, or Thursday, too.

Thanks for all your two's good wishes on college stuff. I talked to Mom this afternoon and we came up with a good decision on it.

-- Folwren
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #819
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Child, Pio,

Let me know if I should change anything.

Are the numbers alright?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #820
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
After much sweat and tears, I'm finally done with my post. No, seriously. I had almost finished post, and then I accidently hit the wrong button and lost everything. I had rewrite the entire post. I should really learn to post a backup next time...

Durelin, let me know if the post looks alright. I wanted to try to match the tone in your last post, but there were a few things I wasn't sure about.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #821
Child of the 7th Age

Aiwendil looks fine....
Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #822
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Your post is great, Brinniel! Any discepencies are my own fault, anyway.

Folwren - I'll try and get a post up tonight or tomorrow, though I can't guarantee, sorry. I've got a good bit of work to do...could get done with it quickly, or it could take me longer. We'll see.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #823
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Folwren - I'll try and get a post up tonight or tomorrow, though I can't guarantee, sorry. I've got a good bit of work to do...could get done with it quickly, or it could take me longer. We'll see.
Whatever works for you, Durelin.

I'm going to be gone next Tuesday through Thursday. I am not sure what those dates are. I may be leaving as early as Monday afternoon/evening, I'm not certain. Just wanted to let you all know before hand.

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #824
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

There you are! Kwell is back in action. Is it good enough? Not too unrealistic? Is it unclear? I hope all is well with it. Let me know if something is wrong.

How long now? Until it's over?

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #825
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
There you are! Kwell is back in action. Is it good enough? Not too unrealistic?
Nicely written aka a good one, but what I'm a bit uneasy with is the amazing results of the ex-slaves in general! (So not Foley's post in particular as it indeed had a justification of three vs. one) I mean everytime they challenge an enemy they win and take one or two slavers with them (I'm not innocent to this myself either). And it is quite rarely that any one of them dies in the action.

I feel sorry to say this, but: more deaths to the goodies and better fighting & surviving slavers are needed to make it look believable! (Sorry to be calling for realism in fantasy... ) I mean let's face it: the slavers are professional fighters and the ex-slaves are just anybody, furious to fight for their freedom, to be sure, but still quite the underdogs in practise.

It feels we're too effective...

Otherwise: great posting everyone, I really have enjoyed trying to catch up with the stuff here!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #826
Child of the 7th Age

Guys....I have managed to come down with a lousy case of something like the flu (chills, fever, etc.) . I am hoping that a good night's slip will let me do a post tomorrow. If I hopefully manage to do that, I will describe a number of freed slaves male and female hitting the dust so that should take care of our problem.

I think once Pio and I post that should probably be the end of the fighting. Aiwendil and Rôg will be chasing a number of folk out of the camp, so they will be free to head towards the orcs.

How does this sound? Sorry about my lag but I am really out of it.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #827
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

That sounds fine. I think it's a good time to move on.

If it's alright, though, I'll put up a save and just write up a bit to have Khamir and Shae there, and then take care of one last piece of business...

I may or may not end up including Vror waking up in that post...if not I'll have him wake up soon after the battle, hopefully with enough time for him to be able to demand going along to check out the slaver's camp...maybe...

Some kind of flu seem to be attacking everyone this year. I believe I might have it...it has passed through my entire family and a lot of people in my school. It's even affecting people who got a flu shot this year.

I really hope you feel better, Child, and don't worry about getting your post up!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #828
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
If it's alright, though, I'll put up a save and just write up a bit to have Khamir and Shae there, and then take care of one last piece of business...
That sounds good. If I am still totally conked out, I will delay the post but hopefully there will be some improvement.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #829
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
I mean everytime they challenge an enemy they win and take one or two slavers with them (I'm not innocent to this myself either). And it is quite rarely that any one of them dies in the action.
Yes, I've noticed and I admit I am guilty as well.

If it helps, Shae only actually killed two of the four slavers she fought (one was killed by Reagonn, and later another by Khamir). And during her first fight, she got pretty injured from her fall...not to mention, the second slaver she fought (the one Reagonn killed) gave her some nasty bruises. Though I suppose you also count the slaver she killed the night Azhar and Kwell were rescued as a third, but since he died before the battle, I'm not sure if he's part of the number of slavers we decided on...

Anyways, I wanted to see the number of deaths we have on our hands so far, so I reread the RPG, and this is what I got:

Slavers:

2- killed by Beloan
1- killed by Kwell
2- killed by Khamir
1- killed by Adnan
1- killed by Dorran
2- killed by Shae (unless you want to count the one from the other night?)
2- killed by Rog
1- killed by Joshwan
1- killed by Reagonn
1- killed by Aiwendil
1- killed by Johari
1- killed by Carl and Kwell
1- killed by Carl and Dirand
1- killed by Kwell and two men
2- killed by Nasim, Gamal, and Zaki
2- killed by Khamir, Nasim, and Gamal

Total: 22

Of course, I'm sure a few more will die as we conclude the battle...

Ex-Slaves:

1. Tareef
2. Joshwan
3. Erlech
4. Zaki
5. Ayce
6. Darren
7. Korden
8. Syth
9. Reagonn
10. Rowenna
11. pregnant woman

Well...I'm sure plenty more ex-slaves have died and we just never mentioned them. Of course, we won't receive the final tally of the dead until the battle's completely over, but until then, perhaps it is a good idea to start stacking up even more ex-slave deaths.

This weekend, I might write up something between Aedhild and Eirnar. As I mentioned before, I wanted to kill off Aedhild, and I have an interesting idea...

Last edited by Brinniel; 01-21-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #830
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Well...I'm sure plenty more ex-slaves have died and we just never mentioned them. Of course, we won't receive the final tally of the dead until the battle's completely over, but until then, perhaps it is a good idea to start stacking up even more ex-slave deaths.
Don't forget all the wounded ones that Athwen is back working on. She has a few that she can't save. Those are pretty much dead, therefore, and should count in the tally.

I think the slaves have a good chance, Nogrod. We out number the slavers, and we have Rog on our side.

-- Foley
Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #831
Child of the 7th Age

I'm having to use a back-up computer this weekend that doesn't have Word so I'm composing and editing in the post box itself. I'll let you know when it's actually finished....hopefully sometime tonight.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #832
Child of the 7th Age

That was fun. One slaver off and running in the direction of the orc camp. Two more for Rôg to dispatch.

Orcs - be my guest. The man is yours. Apparently, a man can sometimes run faster than a boar and sometimes not. So we'll see if the fellow gets there in one piece.

I've managed to fill that part of the save that Pio will need to post. Hilde - I still have to work on Lindir. I hope to do that later tonight.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #833
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Child,

Are you better yet? Over your flu, I mean? I sincerely hope so...

-- Folwren
Old 01-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #834
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks Folwren. It's taken a day or two, but I am much better now.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #835
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Durelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU on the Discussion thread
Khamir and Shae make it to help in the last defense, whether they are needed or not...
I'm in the midst of writing Rôg's post -- there are 2 slavers on horseback that he'll deal with; that is, he'll take down the horses. The slavers will tumble off. One will break his sword/weapons arm; the other will be somewhat dazed.

Can your character and Shae take care of the 2 men?

I'll do in a lead in for that, if so.....

~*~ Pio
Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #836
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
DurelinCan your character and Shae take care of the 2 men?
Unbelievable heroics, again... a couple of "Everyman" taking care of experienced soldiers on horseback just like that?

We should twist this to another direction, I think? Well, this is only my point of view, but it starts to look very unbelievable that these ex-slavers just knock the battle hardened enemies like that...

As you wish, surely...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #837
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Nogrod

Did you read my entire post?

The men will be unhorsed - one of them will have his sword/weapons arm broken; the other will be dazed.

Do you not think that will even the odds?

If not, I will have Rôg kill one of the men outright, leaving only one other for Khamir and Shae to do in.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #838
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Nogrod
Did you read my entire post?
Yes I did. But I'm not saying this because of just your post Pio - which I think was reasonable enough - but I was trying to use it as an example of what we're doing as a writer-community... We all write reasonable enough scenarios, but they all seem to end with the ex-slaves getting the upper hand and the real fighters loosing. It would not be a problem if there would be one or two of those "lucky strikes" from "our" side against the bad losses of most of the posts, but as everyone makes them turn to the goodies it starts to look unbelievable...

Sorry to be this oneminded on this. I know it's fantasy and the Ex-slaves should beat a million dragons with their left hands anyhow if the storyline needed it... (And yes, this grin is made with all the good intentions, no malice intended)
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #839
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Yes I did.
I went back to check it and and must say I'm not wholly certain any more of the post you refer to as I couldn't find anything written by you in a long time but only a post in this discussion thread (your post in the discussion thread felt familiar and I thought I had been brave enough to actually read everything that had happed so far again today...) ... Puzzles me indeed... even though I will hold my basic point still: we (the ex-slaves) are too good in fighting.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-21-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #840
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
I'm in the midst of writing Rôg's post -- there are 2 slavers on horseback that he'll deal with; that is, he'll take down the horses. The slavers will tumble off. One will break his sword/weapons arm; the other will be somewhat dazed.

Can your character and Shae take care of the 2 men?
I believe so...though Gamal and Nasim, and even Beloan, too, could come help if need be...

Nogrod - Just remember that these ex-slaves (the original fifteen) are warriors, too, even if they don't have armour. I'd say all of them have had their fair share of battling, if on smaller scales, doing various raids against the plantations. And armour has its own drawbacks, such as slowing people down. So really outnumbering the slavers is key...and simply be prepared. If you've got two quick ex-slaves against even a well-armoured and well-armed Easterling, the ex-slaves have pretty good chances.

But you definitely have very good points, and that's just my view...I'm by no means an expert on anything battle related, hehe...