The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #1201
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
that thing he said that's covered up now....

Shhhh....spoilers....

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 07-05-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: erasing the spoilerness :)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #1202
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hey umm. Unless you want the chat skwerlz to attack, then you probably shouldn't chat about things that are unrelated to the forum, even though some people (myself included) are interested in that topic...

But anyway, you are obsessed with the Barrow-Downs when you have to get up in the middle of the night so you can go on the Barrow-Downs, and stay on here for an hour...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #1203
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Hey umm. Unless you want the chat skwerlz to attack, then you probably shouldn't chat about things that are unrelated to the forum, even though some people (myself included) are interested in that topic...

But anyway, you are obsessed with the Barrow-Downs when you have to get up in the middle of the night so you can go on the Barrow-Downs, and stay on here for an hour...
Been there, done that. For werewolf. During a night phase. During a game in which I was an ordo. Heh.

Don't mind me, just ensuring the non-existence of spoilertasticness. Eon, thanks a ton for editing your post. By the by, I don't know how to do that spoiler tag thing. PM me sometime and tell me how, will you?

Right around the deadline, I was refreshing the page pretty much constantly waiting for the narration. My internet went out for like 30 seconds, and I had a cow.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #1204
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
You know you are obsessed with the Barrow-Downs when you have automatic updates that go directly to your e-mail and a whole folder in your e-mail dedicated to the Barrow-Downs...
Even worse, when you have to make a separate email address to direct your normal email away from the BD flood of updates.

... Or, when you decide to do some 'quick account cleaning' and end up sitting there for 30 minutes trying to decide which thread subscriptions you can do with or without.

I'm always afraid I'll forget something from way back, but I know I'll eventually spend two hours searching through the whole thread for something like four words. Just can't seem to copy, paste and archive for my own good. I'm slowly working it into a habit. *remembers great golden horde thread*

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 07-05-2008 at 10:06 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #1205
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Even worse, when you have to make a separate email address to direct your normal email away from the BD flood of updates.

... Or, when you decide to do some 'quick account cleaning' and end up sitting there for 30 minutes trying to decide which thread subscriptions you can do with or without.

I'm always afraid I'll forget something from way back, but I know I'll eventually spend two hours searching through the whole thread for something like four words. Just can't seem to copy, paste and archive for my own good. I'm slowly working it into a habit. *remembers great golden horde thread*

~ Ka
Hehe, I do that too. I think "Will I need this later?" and ponder whether or not to keep it, but then I think that I will be able to find it later. But of course, I spend all day once to find a single post that consisted of two comic strip characters...
I might want to get a "Barrow-Downs" e-mail, my other one wouldn't get so crowded...
Old 07-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #1206
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I might want to get a "Barrow-Downs" e-mail, my other one wouldn't get so crowded...
Done that already. X2
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #1207
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post

~ Ka
I guess I am just not addicted then since I decided not to get e-mail notifications a long time ago. . .

*is reminded about the great golden horde thread*

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #1208
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I guess I am just not addicted then since I decided not to get e-mail notifications a long time ago. . .

*is reminded about the great golden horde thread*
Actually, it's a sign that you ARE addicted, since you're on the forum so often and check everything so thoroughly that you don't need updates.

I, also, check the 'Downs more than I check my email.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #1209
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I, also, check the 'Downs more than I check my email.
If The Downs is your home page, that is unavoidable.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #1210
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Hmmmm. I'm not quite that bad....
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #1211
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
The Downs has been my homepage since a month after I joined, it is now the homepage of the spare computer at my grandparents house because I'm online so much... But I get e-mail updates just in case I missed something, which I did yesterday. Even though I was on the computer all day.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #1212
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When...

(One of) the best thing(s) in being at home at last is getting properly online and to BD. Ah, the bliss.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #1213
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
When...

...when upon rereading the WW game you modded two and a half years ago has you pining for the "good old days" when you had:

1) A job you hated
2) Absolutely no social life
3) An unfulfilled desire to get where you are now

and, most pertinently,

4) Time to moderate WW.

Ah... I had fun in those narrations...
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #1214
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
When you read the following line in this post by Mister Underhill:

"I read an interesting analysis of the gap between the U.S. and foreign B.O...."

and immediately think of Volo's revelation:

"None sweat quite in the same way as the French do. "
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #1215
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know your addicted to the Barrow-Downs when there is only about three subjects you like to talk about and they all have to do with the Barrow-Downs...

I have not been on BD for the past four days, I was getting worried that a new Paper Telephone game had started, I could not guess the rest of the quote on Palantir of Fortune, and the new Downer had come out... I thought that I would miss them all.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #1216
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Eek! I guess this is a sign of addiction...?

At Camp Meeting (Church camp for Seventh Day Adventists) I had a wonderful time telling my seven year old brother about The Phantom and Alien, which he greatly enjoyed and now him and his friend can quote about three of them! Thanks to my most horrible memory!

But what really creeped me out is there was this kid there that was maybe twelve and he looked an awful lot like Hookbill... I know that Hookbill is not twelve, and not younger than I either, but it scared me none the less...

I knew he was controlling my mind, bu I didn't know he was stalking me too!

Hehe, and all this while I was trying to explain to my friend what the Downs is, and complaining that I might not get home in time to read the Downer on Sunday...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #1217
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When you look at someone who has made a really good point and say: "I'd give you a rep. if I could."
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #1218
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
But what really creeped me out is there was this kid there that was maybe twelve and he looked an awful lot like Hookbill... I know that Hookbill is not twelve, and not younger than I either, but it scared me none the less...
Well, people say I look younger than I am (21 in October). Probably has something to do with my having only recently regenerated...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 07-25-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #1219
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Well, people say I look younger than I am (21 in October). Probably has something to do with my having only recently regenerated...
I've seen that picture before... This time it wasn't Photoshopped, right?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #1220
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're addicted to the BD when...

I was playing 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' yesterday with my little brother (which included things like Mt. Zoom, The Phantom, Alien, and John Fillis) and he told me that he'd like to live in Antarctica, I asked him why and he said because there is penguins... I suddenly said "LOMMIES!" he then asked "What's a Lommy?" I told him he wouldn't understand...
Plus last night Lauri came over, we started talking like this:
"Fortunately, we are getting something to eat"
"Unfortunately, we didn't have anything good."
this kept going on for quite some time...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #1221
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
On that note: When you see a dead fairy penguin washed up on the beach, and think of–guess who?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #1222
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
On that note: When you see a dead fairy penguin washed up on the beach, and think of–guess who?
Me ?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #1223
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
pun not intended, really.

Aww, you see a dead penguin and think of a Downer? What a...downer.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #1224
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
It was, rather.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #1225
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
But we are all dead here...
Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #1226
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

When, after seeing THIS, you can't see anything to do with the Olympics without thinking of Formendacil... Odd that.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #1227
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when your friend is writing and asks you how to spell "white" and you say "W-I-G-H-T"
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1228
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Another sign of addiction might be...

The first day of real classes starts tomorrow and I have about half an hour before bed, I don't have anything ready for school and I have to be there at 7:30. Yet, I am still here posting on the Barrow-Downs.
This is the sad story of my life...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #1229
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You know that you're addicted to the Downs when you think you see Thinlomien walking into the classroom. I actually jumped to my first and just gawked at the person, like this: , until she gave me a confused look. My friends thought I was crazy after that (which isn't entirely false).

Have you been attending The University of San Antonio, over here in Texas, lately, Thinlomien?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #1230
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
You know that you're addicted to the Downs when you think you see Thinlomien walking into the classroom. I actually jumped to my first and just gawked at the person, like this: , until she gave me a confused look. My friends thought I was crazy after that (which isn't entirely false).

Have you been attending The University of San Antonio, over here in Texas, lately, Thinlomien?
Hahaha, no. Must be my secret twin sister...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 AM   #1231
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You know you're addicted to the 'Downs when you unconsciously favour one of the children in your class simply because she has the same name as your RPG character!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #1232
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Using Tolkien, the Barrow Downs, and its members to partially describe what defines who I am for a speech in my speech class.

And then when I finished, my classmates commented that they could tell from my speech how passionate I really was about these things.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #1233
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think normal people would not find the following line in a TV series particularly amusing...

Soldier (to his wife): "The big bosses like me. If I went back, I would get a promotion. I could even be a legate. Hey, how would you like it, being a legate's wife?"

...but Greenie and I laughed almost hysterically.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #1234
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What amused me was that it reminded me of a poem by Bertolt Brecht:
Quote:
What was sent to the soldier’s wife
From the ancient city of Prague?
From Prague came a pair of high heeled shoes,
With a kiss or two came the high heeled shoes
From the ancient city of Prague.
etc

Old 09-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #1235
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Aiiiieee...

Really, this is hilarious Oh my
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #1236
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
An example of how your impressions can be altered - I was on my blog a couple of weeks ago saying how Mithalwen* looks exactly like Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire in a famous portrait; I'd just noticed this look-a-like. Last week I popped over to Chatsworth and the same portrait was there, and I thought "Oh, it's Mithalwen" instead of thinking "Oh, that's the duchess".

*Mithalwen is free to deny this resemblance of course
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #1237
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

You're at Oxonmoot.

You see a computer.

You go on the Downs.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #1238
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
When you cite the Barrow Downs and some of the ideas and questions posted here in class, and vice-versa.

I remember this week we had some speculative fictionists giving a talk, and I can't help but notice, my, they'd be a good addition to the Downs. And I was secretly wondering if one of them was a Downer. Well, one of my professors know about our existence, even though he denies being a member.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #1239
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
You're at Oxonmoot.

You see a computer.

You go on the Downs.

Wow! I wish I could've gone to Oxonmoot.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #1240
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
A really, really bad sign is when the BD seem to even overpower Tolkien himself in your head. I caught myself having a problem to determine whether the following sentence doesn't have more than one subject: "In the mountains only the Dwarves delved Belegost and Nogrod."
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote