The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #401
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I hope that the power-addicts will grow tired of playing their ugly political games, and that there will be a peaceful resolution for HI, his family and everyone else in that part of the world.

I hope we get an update confirming they are safe. We are lucky that he has the resources and contacts to have the possibility to get his family to relative safety but I am not hopeful of a peaceful resolution. It is a very complicated situation. I fear it may get a lot worse.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #402
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Oh my goodness, what a strange feeling it is to be back here after so long an absense. Maybe no one remembers me, I was never a very large presence on the Downs, but it was a pretty big part of my life for a time. Visiting again reminds me of a lot of great people who I had the pleasure of RPing with, most notably maikafanawen and Arvedui III and so many others I can no longer remember the names of.

Nice to see a lot of familiar faces..er, screen names, are still frequenting the Downs. I hope you are all doing well, and that these last few years have been good to you all.

Can you believe I was 13 when I first joined? Now I am 19 ...oh how time flies...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #403
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I remember you, Carlas! Had the pleasure of RPing with you in a couple RPGs, at least! (I was only 13 when I joined, too! This is as a note in case anyone goes back and looks at those RPGs... )

Welcome back!

Unfortunately maikafanawen and Arvedui III haven't been around in quite a long time, either...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #404
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I have it on good authority that Arvedui III just reregistered tonight on the forum because of a forgotten #$*7(@ password and is now using the handle Ilya. RPing was such a huge part of my life until high school ate it. Good to see some of the same faces are still around, or at least have felt the urge to peek back in.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #405
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Ilya!!!!!

Welcome back, Arvedui III! Missed you!!

~*~ Pio
Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #406
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome back, Formely-Known-As-Arvedui! So good to see you!!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #407
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

I remember rping with you Durelin! Good to see you again.

Haha, good timing Ilya! Highschool really did make it difficult to continue rping didn't it. Not that university is any better...
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #408
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Hi Carlas!

I missed your previous post here. Welcome back - nice to "see" you again.

Could you be persuaded to 'play' a little again the the RP forums? We have a Dwarf game opening up soon in the Shire.....

~*~ Pio
Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #409
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Haha, yeah, it doesn't get any easier. Thanks, Durelin, it's good to see you again too, and I've been enjoying looking over Fellowship of the 4th Age.

Carlas: If I can forestall papers that determine whether I get into the major I want in order to play around at the inn, you can too.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #410
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pio- Long time no "see".
A dwarf RPG? That is very tempting indeed. I'll look into it.

Ilya- I will stop by sometime. Just not this weekend, I have a lot I need to get done.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #411
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

I don't know if anyone recently mentioned this, but I really miss Raynor!

Why?
- he was besides myself probably the only other active Romanian here on the Downs
- he had great knowledge of lore
- he always made great posts helping me learn more about M-e

Raynor, come back!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #412
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Raynor, come back!
Yes, I could second that (even though I am no Romanian ). And I believe there would be other people around who'd join this as well...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #413
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I greatly miss the elder days here at the Barrow Downs - not that there's anything wrong with the new days! But I miss some of the old ghouls who haunted the Downs long ago. Theodred21, who became a friend in real life - after posting here he started his own board and invited me and two other Downers to join. A great deal of my life centered around that forum, Rohan, and this one that brought us together. Eldarion and Steadfast Sam were those other two. Sam has since joined the army, been there and back again. I don't know how Eldarion is but we hear from him now and then. Telchar is another familiar name from the quiz rooms! I wonder, does he still post here? And I'm sure there are many other good people whom I would remember if I but saw their name...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #414
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Telchar has not been around for a while, but once in a while he drops by and say hello. . .it has been quite a while though.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #415
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Garin had some major things in life come up. I'm not sure if he will be coming back anytime soon but if I speak to him again, which may be soon I'll let him know he is missed.
I should have done this a long time ago, but for those who knew him, Garin or Craig, lost his battle with alcoholism a few months ago and died. The last 2 years were very difficult for him and he had pushed his body to the point of no return. For those interested his friend wrote this memorial. I'm sure it would make Garin extra happy if next time you play WW you were extra brash and abrasive.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #416
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I should have done this a long time ago, but for those who knew him, Garin or Craig, lost his battle with alcoholism a few months ago and died. The last 2 years were very difficult for him and he had pushed his body to the point of no return. For those interested his friend wrote this memorial. I'm sure it would make Garin extra happy if next time you play WW you were extra brash and abrasive.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I didn't know him well, but I played a few ww games with him and I remember the wit and the temper that clearly come through the memorial. Thanks for posting it, morm.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #417
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I'm sure it would make Garin extra happy if next time you play WW you were extra brash and abrasive.
That is so sad. Addiction is a terrible affliction and so hard to deal with both for the sufferers and the people around them. I didn't know him beyond the WW games but I certainly remember him from them - it was nice not to be the only volatile player!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #418
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'm very sorry to hear that. I remember Garin as an exceptionally entertaining character.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #419
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*A great rumbling within the earth is heard and felt. It grows more intense until a giant chasm opens.*

*A black-cloaked figure rises out of the rift, which promptly closes.*

*the figure lifts its hood*

I have returned. How are things going in my absence?

Oh, and my thoughts go out to Garin. He was quite the werewolf, as I recall. Lasted quite a while in a game of mine, too, until he finally decided to surrender.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #420
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
[QUOTE=Brinniel;485229]
Also, what has ever happened to Beren87, Raefindel, Arien, Alkanoonion, GaladrieloftheOlden, Gorwingel, and LePetitChoux? I have not seen any of them since I came back in June.
[QUOTE]

Wow! I've been missed! That's cool! But that post is 2 years old so I imagine no one even remembers me now. I have missed all my old friends here at the BD but life marches on.

I've been through many changes in the last few years. I spent a few years caring for my grandparents, Granny died in '04 and Grandpa just this September.

I now own the home I continually wearied your ears (or eyes, I suppose) telling you I so longed for (renting's the pits!).

After 14 years as a stay-at-home mom I went back to work a year ago. I work at an elementary school and love it.

My oldest graduated high school and is going to college-that thought took a lot of getting used to.

How are all of you? Mark12:30 (Helen) and I have remained close friends despite the miles and the years I've been away form the Downs. We see each other every few years ,no thanks to me. As many times and she has traveled to see me in Lothlorien, I have never been to Hobbiton to see her.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #421
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Rae, you have not been forgotten. Once a king or queen in Narnia - oops, wrong fandom! This is a forum with a long memory, and absentee members are always enthusiastically welcomed back.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #422
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thank You Estelyn. It's so good to see you! How's life treating you?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #423
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Life is good, Rae, just a bit busier than I would like at the moment. I miss having time for discussions here like we used to have!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #424
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

*peeks in*
Ummmm... hi! *waves*

Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #425
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
*waves*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #426
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Hi Tigerlilly! How've ya been?

Are you newly back? I wouldn't know who has stayed while I've been gone.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #427
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily Gamgee View Post
*peeks in*
Ummmm... hi! *waves*

Tiggerlily!!! *Waves back enthusiastically!*

Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #428
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Yes, I am newly back

I've been so busy lately with my fitness stuff that I haven't had much time for anything else... but I've been feeling all LOTR nostalgic lately!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #429
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tigerlily has returned!

Stuff like this makes me happy.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #430
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Awwww *blush*

I can't promise I'll be overly active in discussions, as it's been a few years since I've read the books, therefore my thinking cap isn't really on. I need to delve back in
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #431
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

I have missed you, TG. You take care now.

*hug*
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #432
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Familiar faces (er, nicknames?)

Hola!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #433
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I miss Gothmog!

He was nice to have around in many ways.
And I miss you, Rune Just passing by right now, but I'll pop by for some tea and biscuits some day soon, to see how you all behave in my absence!

Always nice to know that at least someone remembers me..

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #434
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmmm

This is now the fourth day in a row that I've peeked in at the Downs (and using my own account too, rather than lurking as a guest...)

Perhaps it's time to roll up my sleeves and start a really good dust-up of some sort?

Gandalf: amoral manipulator or uncaring angelic guardian?

Smaug: was he really all that bad?

Gollum's "Slip" at the Crack of Doom: it just doesn't make sense!

CANONICITY!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #435
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
CANONICITY!
50/50 collaboration between the book and the reader.

Oh how I've missed you, Doctor Jones...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #436
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Oh Hi

Hello.

A burned out computer where I literally lost everything hath prompted me to come in quest of my old BD avatar which I use for some other things as well.

Thought I should say hello.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #437
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Kuru! Hi!!

Does this mean no LOTRO for a while?

You should really stick around here, though.

Wow, so many amazing people coming back (Tigerlily, Fordim)...to stay, I only hope!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #438
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Kuru!

ZOMG[s], everybody is coming back... It makes me feel less old to see older faces.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #439
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmog View Post
And I miss you, Rune Just passing by right now, but I'll pop by for some tea and biscuits some day soon, to see how you all behave in my absence!

Always nice to know that at least someone remembers me..
I am sure that there is other people than me who looks forward to your return.

btw I don't have any biscuits, but I have plenty of tea and other liquids.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #440
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Kuru
Does this mean no LOTRO for a while?
Depends on how long it takes me to download it tonight.

EDIT: I lost all my screenshots.

Poor Issith has lost part of his memorial.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 01-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote