The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2003, 10:40 PM   #41
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just had a flash of Lush tiptoeing through the tulips, playing a ukelele. There's a scary thought. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It's muddy. Be sure and wear your yellow boots.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:43 AM   #42
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Fear getting dirty? Moi?

Carry on with the gardening, my Hobbits. I promise to take care of the smoking, Herr Tolkien be eternally proud.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:20 AM   #43
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I will be spending this spring hoping that my orthodontist will be so kind as to get off these **** braces. How is that Tolkien-related? Hmm, I don't know actually. Maybe my teeth will look like Elvish teeth when these are off? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I can't garden: but my dad will, I think. Does that count? The only real Tolkien things I can think of that I'll be doing will be reading the works over...and over...and over again, drawing horrible illustrations for them, and seeing the movies too many times for my own good. Oh and the Downs of course [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Also, I will be converting as many people to the Downs as possible, through those terrible public LotR chatrooms. I still can't understand why people go in there... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] but I've gotten people to come here through there, so I'll have to go in again *sigh* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 06:16 AM   #44
tifo_gcs
Haunting Spirit

tifo_gcs has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Some things for my spring...
Guiness with friends (I refuse to believe the Inklings met at 'the Bird and the Babe' and didn't have a drop of the black stuff).
Music in the backyard with friends as much as this Danish weather will let us.It's been snowing today so I'm envying Lush her stay in North Carolina [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] .
Spending easter in Holland visiting old friends (including Amsterdam, just to try and make Lush envy me).
Quit smoking (not in the Tolkien spirit but at the request of my friends and my lungs).
Await arrival of new mandolin, to better facilitate making music with friends.
Watch my favorite soccer team crush all before them with my friends.
Did I mention my friends? That's probably because a full time job doesn't let me see enough of them (my one complaint about my job is that I have no spring break)
Old 04-10-2003, 08:29 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

tifo_gcs, Now that sounds like a spring. Music in the garden... why was that easier in march than in april?? But it'll happen again soon. The last time, we brought out the amps and extension cords. Fun!!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #46
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Now that sounds fun!Music in the garden!

Ya know how a mechanic's hands are always black? Mine are beginning to look that way. I come home from work with dry GREEN hands and then I garden till they turn black. I have no nails left (well, OK I admit I never really had any anyway) and I carry super glue in my apron pocket for the inevitable cuts I get at work.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:09 PM   #47
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

I fear my garden's far too small for any rolling, Lush. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Miss Rae, you be careful! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Fringed Tulip
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #48
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

March was beautiful here in central Texas, but April has been somewhat chilly. Just as most flowers were beginning to bloom and many people were planting gardens, we had a mild freeze. I haven't been gardening myself, just admiring the work of others as I walk to Rivendell. If the rain holds off, I'll watch my grandson play t-ball Saturday afternoon. But rain or shine, I'll treat myself to another viewing of TTT Saturday night. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 01:38 AM   #49
tifo_gcs
Haunting Spirit

tifo_gcs has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
I will be spending this spring hoping that my orthodontist will be so kind as to get off these **** braces
I can't believe I missed that the first time around... look forward to it Galadrieloftheolden, it's a wonderful day when they come off [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
The last time, we brought out the amps and extension cords. Fun!!
Yikes!!! I think my neighbors would have a cow if we did that. In the shade with a jug of lemonade, music has to be acoustic, but chances are our accordion player will get the nieghbors steaming anyway... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
I carry super glue in my apron pocket for the inevitable cuts I get at work.
That sounds about as helpful as the black glob the orcs used on Merry, do you have a special technique?

Alatįriėl: I wish I had time for all of that.. This morning all I could do was admire the snow on the ground (and try not to slip on it) as I ran to catch my train.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:54 AM   #50
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Superglue is a must for a floral designer. I've glued more cuts closed...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:57 AM   #51
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lush M'Babe, my garden includes fairly large expanses of lawn between the beds. You are more than welcome to come and roll there, with your nose as close to whatever flowers you prefer as you'd like. Just don't be surprised if Trace and Chonea join you. Oh, and Pepper, if you look cuddly enough.

You might want to wait a few days til the daffs open; I choose them for their fragrance, and the carltons are delicious. I think Sam and Frodo would like them. (Vanilla, if I recall.)

Rae, I have a friend who plays bass, and swears by that liquid-band-aid stuff. He uses it to repair cuts and tears on his FINGERTIPS and then plays happily for hours with no pain.

(All bass and guitar players: "Oooooh, I gotta get me some.")

Elvish medicine?

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-12-2003, 12:07 PM   #52
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, It's what they use to close incisions after surgery. Definitely Elven Medicine. I couldn't work without it!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #53
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

At last. Spring is here. Today I followed a little trout stream through the woods, and saw some emerging skunk cabbage...
Old 04-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #54
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well, the other day I plucked a rose off of the HUMONGOUS rose bushes in front of the church parsonage.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Skunk cabbage......?

I know I should know, but what exactly is that?
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #55
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

The skunk Cabbage is 2 1/2 feet tall here now!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #56
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Why skunk...? Out of simple curiousity, what do they smell like? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #57
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, that's exactly why. They smell.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #58
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kalimac:

You ask for more seasonal lyrics? This time, naught but the lyrics of white foam splashing down a stoney course at Rivendell framed under an arched bridge between gentle cliffs, my friend!

Saturday it was, that the feeling of spring finally matched the calendar's page. Bilbo looked up from his books and convinced me to "come see the waterfall, Gandalf!" Out onto the smooth pavement of the patio we went.

As glinting sunshine cascaded warmth generously downwards to encompass us as if in harmony with the water, I draped my bulky outer cloak upon a bench and moved to stand at the edge of a railing. But it was no good turning back to retrieve the cloak when my ears grew nippy from the wind, for Bilbo's idea of "seeing the waterfall" had quickly become "taking a nap with a waterfall comfortably in the background!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] He had curled up to take slumberous residence on both bench and cloak.

The waterfall bubbled over like glad tidings in a winding rush to pour forth its spirit, dodging pebbles as it tumbled down long shale steps. Dark slate wetted to almost black up top, draining to drab tints about the middle, lightening to a lively blue-tinged shale in a pool that turned roundabout in curious river bends. Throughout the causeway were bright streaked trails of orange painted by rusty leaves, their artistry left over from last fall, newly skittling down the cliffs to join the water's chattering splash and dance of anticipation.

By turns I took in these surroundings and tried not to think about the returning coldness as day ebbed and the breeze picked up, glanced at Bilbo, wondered how long he might sleep, wondered what time it was, remembered that time here melded into timelessness if only you let it. Finally estimated it by the sun to be between 2:23 and 2:26 in the afternoon. I was proved right when a few minutes later, two other visitors approached. Fortunately, our mere presence and shared silent greetings were enough to waken Bilbo before anyone spoke.

Shortly after, I walked to a point overlooking the Ford of Bruinen, which offered a vista of new red maple buds over the water among the far more plentiful branches still in waiting shades of brown.

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #59
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The buds on my beech trees are just starting to lengthen.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:54 AM   #60
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I never heard of an elf with allergies, but I'll likely be spending my spring wishing I enjoyed the smell of the hyacinths on campus and taking claritin by the jar. It's so flowery around here...
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Weeeeellll, I did it.

I am hereby guilty of Quercusicide or Quercicide or Quercide, I'm not sure which. But the oak trees that were towering over my struggling little beeches and covering them with their overpowering canopy, are still towering, but they will canopy no more...

I girdled them. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Especially one tall, beautiful, straight oak that might have been one of the nicest on our property. Definitely in the top ten. If only it hadn't been smack in the middle of five little struggling beech trees, it would have lived. But-- wrong place wrong time.

So I guess Treebeard and the rest of the ents will hate me. And I'll probably be exiled from Lorien forever and ever.

My one defense is that I was trying to make room for the beeches. But I can look out my window, still, and see how tall and straight that oak is standing. Oh well.

It'll be well seasoned by next winter, anyway...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #62
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
I girdled them.
Oh, the horror! Where's George Pope Morris when you need him? Somewhere an Ent is crying "Life's a beech, and then you die."

But seriously, folks: couldn't you have just moved the beeches?
Old 05-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #63
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

A nice idea, Birdie, but-- alas, no. There are six beeches just behind my gardens, and they are well ensconced, and I want them right where they are; they are (ahem) precious, and I don't want them disturbed. These lovely young beeches vary in height from ten to perhaps thirty feet tall. However, the (bleeping) oak was about fifty feet tall, and towering over the beeches. Not nice neighbors, these oakses. Not nice.

Saving oaks is not a high priority in general, here. They don't call my neighborhood "Thousand Oaks" for nothing. I never bothered to count how many oaks we actually have on our own property. However, I can estimate that we only have twenty (lovely, delicate, beautiful, slender, graceful) beeches. Hence, the beeches stay.

Overall, if we are now reduced to nine-hundred, eighty-eight oak trees instead of a thousand oaks, I shall not weep. But that one particular specimen was unusual in that it was very straight and shapely. Too bad.

In the meantime, if I don't get really busy and remove all the (bleeping) sprouting acorns from my garden, there will be another thousand oaks just in my garden alone!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Yet another reason to let the beeches thrive behind the garden, and press back the oaken canopy...

Bleeding heart season is here, and late (white, fragrant ) daffodils. How about the rest of you? What's blooming, everyone?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #64
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I planted some scarlet Morning glories the other day, and I want to plant the MoonFlowers I have, but I want to make a support, first, and I've got nothing really suitable. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 11:24 PM   #65
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
They don't call my neighborhood "Thousand Oaks" for nothing
But I read that the California Live Oak was suffering from some kind of horrible blight. I can just hear all those Oak Ents now: "When we're all blighted and dead, then you'll be sorry!"

Sorry, Mark, I can pull a weed with the best of them, but killing a tree just seems like such a BIG DEAL. Like Treeacide. Although I do have a pesky peach tree that I have thought bad thoughts about.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:56 PM   #66
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yes the Skunk cabbage, though personally I have not seen one yet (I have not spent much time in the woods) they are an annoying little plant that grows in marshy areas, and smells like...well...Skunk! they stink!
Old 05-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #67
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Sam, I LOVE moonflowers and morning glories. Mine will be climbing some ultra-cheap trellises that I bought at the local el-cheapo store: twenty bucks! made in china... Do you think hobbits had trellises? Or did they just let the vines ramble up and over their doorway??

Gorwingel, the skunk cabbage is fourishing over here, all around Bywater. Lots of it.

Birdie: I understand how you feel about trees, I do. But last year in the drought, we lost two pretty young trees that I dearly loved: one was a "pin oak" (NOT your garden-variety oakMonster, this was a lovely and delicate thing) and another was Unknown but lovely, but now dead. I am convinced that if the oaks hadn't been hogging the ground water they would have had more of a chance.

Know what drives me crazy? The two best trees on our lot-- a lovely maple and a towering white pine-- are RIGHT next to each other. Read: If either one was an oak, I would have cut it down to make room for the precious maple or the precious pine. But no-- there they stand, shoulder to shoulder, each cutting into the other's growing terriroty! ARGH!

I was hiking today and went through a beech forest. Mmmmmmmmmmm. No wonder the elves (and TOlkien) loved them. Lovely, lovely, great silver trunks and golden leaves. Mallorns!! It only made me more resolved to treat mine well. Sorry, oak. You're OUTTA THERE.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #68
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Sam, I LOVE moonflowers and morning glories. Mine will be climbing some ultra-cheap trellises that I bought at the local el-cheapo store: twenty bucks! made in china... Do you think hobbits had trellises? Or did they just let the vines ramble up and over their doorway??
Hm...Tolkien wrote that they were good with their hands craft-wise, so I suppose it's possible they made trellisses.
My father said he'd make something for me for the Moonflowers to climb, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet, so I'll remind him, and if he dosen't get to it by this weekend, I think I'll be using an unused tomato cage in the backyard. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2003, 10:17 PM   #69
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, Hello fellow gardeners! I have missed you as I tarried in the flower shop. But thankfully, I have left cut flowers behind and have returned to growing things.

Quote:
It seems their delight to trample growing things that are not even in their way!
What's blooming, you ask? Why, mostly purple things. the Lilacs are in bloom and they are Far and away my favorite.

Also my Bearded Irises are about to bloom. they are very prolific. Last year I added a 40-foot garden along the driveway and filled it with irises and still gave enough away to supply a small army of Elven and Hobbit gardeners. Irises anyone? I'll be digging them up again in the fall.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #70
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Ooh, purple things...you know I like purple things, Miss Rae. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, today I got a rusty ol' tomato cage from the backyard an' planted my Moonflowers.
I'm hopin' they grow as pretty as on th' package. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

PS: To anyone in this "room" who had ANYTHING whatsoever to do with that humourously named but nonetheless sweet and touching and downright NICE Award, thankyou. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 05-10-2003, 11:10 PM   #71
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Rae, I'll see your irises and raise you with some daylilies...lots and lots of daylilies, or as the old folk call them: "railroad lilies". Of course, the Old Folk also call peonies "PI-onies", so what do they know?

I bought out all the specimen perennials in the Horticulture lab in our school, and have been trying to get them all in the ground between storms - which have been fierce and frequent in the central U.S. this month. Our local Brandywine is almost ready to leap its banks, but my hobbit hole on the hill is staying nice and dry.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:30 AM   #72
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is the time of purple isn't it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] My main garden is all purple/blue this week. ajuga, forget-me-not, groundcover phlox, the big drumstick alliums, purple tulips, dames rocket, chives and iris. I never would have planted a mono-color garden, but it looks beautiful just the same. In other gardens, the huge bright orange oriental poppies are waving in the wind, johnny jumps and lily of the valley have sprung up everywhere, and the bridal wreath spirea, and other bushes are doing their thing! Too bad we've gotton about 5 inches of rain this week! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2003, 08:54 AM   #73
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I spent a lovely Mother's Day Planting and trans-planting. It was the most fun this elf has had in a long while. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2003, 08:03 PM   #74
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dūm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think I'll make this a Tolkien-ish spring/summer by haunting the used book stores to find some Tolkien I haven't read yet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sounds good to me...
Peace
Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM   #75
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Wow... purple... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I don't actually spend much (any) time in the garden, and probably won't till the hammock is up again, but I go out there once in a while for flowers to braid into my hair (not garden flowers [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), and it seems purple there too... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #76
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
What's blooming, everyone?
The roadside bluebonnets have pretty much disappeared and my bearded irises have come and gone. However, my roses and cannas are beginning to bloom. Fortunately, the grasshoppers have not descended on me like the perverbial plague yet. The past couple of years they have pretty much decimated my flower beds, and I'm too discouraged to replant. Maybe next spring...
Old 05-14-2003, 01:46 PM   #77
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Grasshoppers? Eeeww! (Ghastly Neekerbreekers!) Poor Alatįriėl!

For us it's (shudder) Japanese beetles (retch, convulse) and the ever-present, ever-ravenous Bambi (glower; reaches for compound bow...) My poor hobbit-gardens are at their very worst in late July and early August. So this year it's cosmos, by the envelope... just like Sam's movie-garden.

This morning my hobbit-buddy failed to show up. Lonely walk!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:53 PM   #78
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

MRI today....ugh.....wonder if the technician saw flowers and Hobbits in my head?

After my MRI, my mother and I did some shopping, and one of my purchases was a Beanie Baby Bear named "Blossom" (Hmmm...what was I thinking of?) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] As far as purple, my irises are still growing, and I have some lighter purple Pincushion flowers...which are practically buried under the daylilies, daisies, Johnny-jumpups (latter also a bit of purple), and Gladiolus.

No Moonflowers or Morning Glories yet, but I'm a tad impatient. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

(LOL--I just realized the green hand icon has-- [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] A GREEN THUMB!!)

Be nice to me...I had a needle stuck in my arm today..... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

We HATES needles, yes we does..... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #79
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

You've never gardened, GaladrieloftheOlden ?
I think I was gardening when I was 8! I remember going into the woods to find things to dig up and transplant at home.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #80
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, I have gardened, but I don’t really enjoy it. Except the actual putting in of the seeds. I love doing that, but we haven’t bought them yet. And I couldn’t have gardened when I was 8, because I lived in an apartment. Anyhow, I’m still a kid/teenager, so I may yet have my gardening times [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien