The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elderly Swedish Lady 'violated by Dwarf'.

'Noble' Swede: Hobbit dwarf stole my name

Quote:
A woman in eastern Sweden wants to take legal action after film officials translated the name of a dwarf in The Hobbit into her own “noble” Swedish name.

Yvonne Ekenskjöld is unimpressed.

The new Peter Jackson blockbuster, The Hobbit – An Unexpected Journey, has a dwarf with her name - at least according to the Swedish subtitles.

Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the dwarves in the film based on the J.R.R. Tolkien novel, becomes Torin Ekenskölde in Swedish, a name far too similar to her own according to the 68-year-old Katerineholm resident.

“She’s suggesting that we have used a Swedish noble name in our translation,” Stefan Klockby, information head of the Swedish Film Institute told The Local.

“It’s not a noble family name anymore though; that family died out 200 years ago. We’re not really sure what she’s talking about - she’s claiming that her name is special and it's only her family that can use it.”

However, Ekenskjöld is furious over the prospect of sharing her name with a bearded and officious dwarf leader.

“It’s like a slap in the face. I don’t think our name should be associated with fairytale figures. I actually feel violated, and it’s offensive that they didn’t even bother to call and ask if it was alright,” Ekenskjöld told the Aftonbladet newspaper. http://www.thelocal.se/45144/20121218/
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
wait we can sue over this? Tom Cruise get ready looking at you "Jerry Maguire"!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So I can sue any real or fictional character who has my name? Splendid!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So I can sue any real or fictional character who has my name? Splendid!
Only if you feel 'violated'.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
So will Santa Claus be suing Futurama for Robot Santa?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I want to be violated by a dwarf too!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wonder what the Swedish edition of the Hobbit has used all these years?

There is a rising actress with my name. I am hoping she gets really famous so I will get free upgrades and the like by mistake..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Swedish woman should change her name to Adolf Hitler. Problem solved. No one will take the name.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up Heja Sverige!

This is ridiculous. Just how cool would it be to share a name with a Tolkien character?! As a teenager I was kind of envious of a guy who went to our school because his name was something translatable as "Barliman Warg". (Well, maybe it sounds a little funny but it's a Tolkien reference!)

Besides, given Thorin's new portrayal in the films, I'm pretty sure there are tons of ladies out there who wouldn't mind being called Mrs Oakenshield!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Besides, given Thorin's new portrayal in the films, I'm pretty sure there are tons of ladies out there who wouldn't mind being called Mrs Oakenshield!
Indeed. Heck, even I wouldn't.

If it was being called, say, "Mrs Pokémon", it would have been something different, although... although again, a real-life person with such a name could blame only herself... or her parents.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Indeed. Heck, even I wouldn't.
Darling, is there something you haven't told me?

Anyway, quite agreed. Come on, Oakenshield is pretty obscure anyway, it's not like she's called Baggins. (Or just imagine how it must feel for the dozens of Harry Potters out there. They're probably all going: "Geez, thanks a lot J.K. Rowling!")
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I want to be violated by a dwarf too!
Why is this thread continuing when it has already reached its logical conclusion.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
(Or just imagine how it must feel for the dozens of Harry Potters out there. They're probably all going: "Geez, thanks a lot J.K. Rowling!")
From the village where I used to live - & yes, his first name is Harry. And no, he really wasn't happy about the books/films. Don't think he ever considered legal action though.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Why is this thread continuing when it has already reached its logical conclusion.
Threads going past their logical conclusion are a hallmark of The Barrow Downs. In fact, dead threads that have reached their logical conclusion years ago are often resurrected simply so folks can pontificate further!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Richard Armitage has legions of female fans called the Armitage Army and is first choice on my ever opimistic Christmas list (ideally in Lucas North mode) again this year.. But even he and Hugo Weaving to whom I have been devoted sine I was thirteen have not lured me to the cinema.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Richard Armitage has legions of female fans called the Armitage Army and is first choice on my ever opimistic Christmas list (ideally in Lucas North mode) again this year.. But even he and Hugo Weaving to whom I have been devoted sine I was thirteen have not lured me to the cinema.
The movie has plenty of epic Richard Armitage (although he has a beard which might be a turn-off for you if I recall correctly) and Hugo Weaving is so much better(-looking) than in LotR. I think you'd enjoy it (regardless of Radagast's bunnies, prolonged actions scenes and general stupidity).

Anyway, more in the line of the original topic, I don't understand how can that woman complain especially as Thorin's name is spelt (and pronounced) differently than hers. And it seems (first time I google stuff in Swedish! be proud of me, fellow 'downers!) there are three translations of The Hobbit into Swedish (from 1947, 1962 and 2007) and apparently at least in the 1962 translation Thorin is called Ekenskölde. So this lady's complaints are at least 60 years outdated!

Aha, and now I checked even the article davem linked says:

Quote:
According to Klockby, the translation actually appeared as early as 1947 when the book was first released in Swedish. Furthermore, he claimed the woman is not even a true Ekenskjöld.

“We found out that this woman wasn't originally named Ekenskjöld - she just made it her name ten years or so ago,"
he told The Local.

“We don't know where this will go or what will happen next, we have told her to contact our lawyers for now.”

The Hobbit, first published in 1937, has been translated into Swedish three times, most recently in 2007 by Erik Andersson.

The first translation was completed in 1947 by Tore Zetterholm and was titled Hompen eller En resa dit och tillbaks igen however Tolkien, who had a keen interest in Scandinavian languages, didn't like the translation and considered it to have been too liberal.
Quite ridiculous.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh I'd hate far more than that given I loathed Gandalf and Gollum ad the music in the first lot. But it is moot for now since I can't watch 3d or sit in acinema seat so long...but certainly prefer TDMA shaved and shorn.