The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #41
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

In Sally's game there were 20ish players and 6 wolves, and I'm pretty sure we (the wolves) lost . So I think this village can handle 3 wolves, especially with 3 gifteds and the whole lovers dynamic. It's going to be interesting though.

Oh, and invisible mode soon everyone, just incase anyone has forgotten.

I'm so anxious to get started, haha, haven't played in a while and I have very little in RL to worry about this week so it'll be perfect, especially since the Day phases are on my days off from school!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #42
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
In Sally's game there were 20ish players and 6 wolves, and I'm pretty sure we (the wolves) lost .
Were there that many? But that I think was a most exceptional game in many ways...

The normal ratio I think is like 13-16/17 and three wolves; 17/18+ and four wolves - not taking account of some particular rules that make a major twist on the issue (Like more wolves spawned during the game, really game-changing roles added on top of the normal from the beginning etc.).

But no problem. Let's go with three wolves if we wish. I'm not opposing it as such. I was just wondering if it was unintentional.

I'll play with whichever rules are given. The mod is the God on these issues.

Thanks for calling out for the invisibility-issue. *goes on to turn invisible*
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I think I'm just going to stick with three wolves and hope for the best.

Glirdan, I'm switching you over to Magic Rat because I'm cutting Wild Billy altogether.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #44
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
And Autume98, I'm afraid we're going to have to start without you. My next week is very busy and I'd like to get this thing going in advance of that.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #45
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPSZiE0OAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3nqPClKaU

Here's some songs to listen to. Consider it homework.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #46
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Last minute character shuffling has taken place. Please take note. (Glirdan, you're back to Wild Billy - sorry about that).
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #47
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I want to remind everyone that the names I've used for the various roles (highwayman, foreman, etc.) are generic in terms of what gender they denote. That is, any of the roles can be either male or female.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #48
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

The roles have been sent out. Please make sure you are in invisible mode.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #49
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh crap! I forgot downs time is an hour ahead. Um, the game has begun! I will create the game thread immediately. Throughout the game WE WILL BE GOING BY DOWNS TIME. Baddies and lovers, commence PMing. Dreamer, please send me a dream.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #50
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Oh crap! I forgot downs time is an hour ahead. Um, the game has begun! I will create the game thread immediately. Throughout the game WE WILL BE GOING BY DOWNS TIME. Baddies and lovers, commence PMing. Dreamer, please send me a dream.
Uh, there is no "Downs Time". If you go to your personal options (same place you go to go on invisible mode, but further down the page) you can change the time to your time zone, so that the time that shows on the posts matchs your time. Like for me that last post of yours that I just quoted shows up as being posted at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #51
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So that'd make the deadline 11pm CT or 5am GMT. Right?

Heh. You really hate the Europeans, don't you?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #52
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Uh, there is no "Downs Time". If you go to your personal options (same place you go to go on invisible mode, but further down the page) you can change the time to your time zone, so that the time that shows on the posts matchs your time. Like for me that last post of yours that I just quoted shows up as being posted at 11:03 PM.
I see you are correct. I had my DST settings messed up.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #53
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
So I just saw the post (I have been away from a computer since Friday night) so I'm sorry that this is late getting back to you but....HI NOGROD!!!! It has indeed been years!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #54
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

So I posted. Not quite sure what kind of posting you were looking for for Day 1. Kind of just went with it RPG style. If that's a problem for anyone, let me know, I'll take the post down.

For now, I'm off to bed. Won't be back on till much later in the day tomorrow. Have school amongst other things. I will be able to post for a good 4 to 6 hours though after I do get home, so not all is lost! See you all then!

~ Glirdy ~
Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #55
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Feel free to post in character if you are so inclined. It would be fun, but it is by no means expected of you.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #56
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

There have been some questions regarding the nature of the "lover" roles and victory conditions and so on, so let me try to clear this all up.

The "lover" pairs are for communication purposes only; the only similarity that they possess to traditional lover pairs is the fact that they can PM with each other at any time.

In all other respects, such as how they die, their victory conditions, how they vote, etc, the "lovers" behave as either wolves, innocents, or gifteds, not as traditional lovers.

Sorry about the confusion and thanks for bearing with me. First shot at modding and all that. PM me with any more questions.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #57
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
I'm off to work for a while - won't be back until 7PM PST, so don't expect replies/posts until around then.

Toodles!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #58
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Gwath, what about the one Lover pair where if one dies so does the other, is that pair like a traditional Lover pair or is it like all the others as well?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #59
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Actually, I ended up not using that idea, given the low number of players, but I forgot to notify you all. Apologies! There is no traditional lover pair. All lovers will survive their partners' deaths.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #60
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I should have also mentioned in the game rules that there will be no retractable votes.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #61
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I have been petitioned by a player via PM to restart the game because of the confusion over the exact nature of the PM-pairs (i.e. in what ways they are similar to traditional Lovers). My initial reaction is to just let the game play out, but ultimately I'm happy to do whatever you all would prefer.

So, what does everyone think? Since it's still early in the game, would you like to start over? I would reshuffle the roles, of course.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #62
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Let's continue as it is. Just my vote. We'll be able to deal with it for better or worse. Anyway the wind blows.

Starting again would be such an anticlimax.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #63
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I have been petitioned by a player via PM to restart the game because of the confusion over the exact nature of the PM-pairs (i.e. in what ways they are similar to traditional Lovers). My initial reaction is to just let the game play out, but ultimately I'm happy to do whatever you all would prefer.

So, what does everyone think? Since it's still early in the game, would you like to start over? I would reshuffle the roles, of course.
But...but I already posted my song parody!

So, sort of make toDay into a Day -1? I wouldn't have thought of it, but if people were confused and, say, revealed as a wolf to their ordo!lover, then we'd probably better. Or revealed as a gifted to their wolf!lover. Either way, the game would be kind of tilted and not as much fun to play. I guess I'd say go ahead, but only if everyone wants to - if people don't, then I'd be happy to play it out.

I sure hope that's coherant...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #64
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I vote for moving on with it. Confusion is one of the charms of the game.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #65
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post

So, sort of make toDay into a Day -1? I wouldn't have thought of it, but if people were confused and, say, revealed as a wolf to their ordo!lover, then we'd probably better. Or revealed as a gifted to their wolf!lover. Either way, the game would be kind of tilted and not as much fun to play. I guess I'd say go ahead, but only if everyone wants to - if people don't, then I'd be happy to play it out.
For this reason I'd be ok with it, because it seems highly possible that something like this could have happened. I know I went into the game with a different idea of how the Lover pairs worked, so knowing straight from the beginning would probably be less confusing.

However, I'm good with what the majority decides.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #66
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Other opinions?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #67
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I should have also mentioned in the game rules that there will be no retractable votes.
Thanks. I was actually going to ask about that.

Quote:

Well for one thing I think unless some fatal error has been made we should continue. I also think we should keep discussion of the matter to a minimum, as I'd rather not know who had issues (for lack of a better term) with the rules; it might interfere with how I see them in-game and I don't want that.

So yeah, let's keep going unless you, Gwath, think there's a reason not to.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #68
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Bah!! I say stay on!! We've already started and we have two hours left of the Day. What's the point in restarting?

But really, the call is up to you Mod Gwath!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #69
alonariel
Wight

Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Crap! I forgot to post here this morning, Lari had work from 10:30AM PST to 7PM PST. She should be on in a little while.

*cringes while awaiting the wrath of Lari*
Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #70
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Yeah, don't bother restarting, I seem to be the only one who really misunderstood the situation and the only one to get screwed over by that misunderstanding (completely my own fault Gwath, I should never have assumed anything regarding the rules). So I say keep going, I don't want this to ruin the game for the rest.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #71
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

If it's all right with everyone, I think I'd like to restart the game. Sorry about all this.

I'll create a fresh new game thread, reassign roles, repost the initial narration, and then we'll treat the next phase, starting at 9 PM, as it if it were that first Night phase. I will only send PMs to the players whose roles I am changing. If you do not receive a PM from me, your role will remain the same. All clear?

In case anyone missed it: WE ARE STARTING OVER.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-11-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #72
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
If it's all right with everyone, I think I'd like to restart the game. Sorry about all this.

I'll create a fresh new game thread, reassign roles, repost the initial narration, and then we'll treat the next phase, starting at 9 PM, as it if it were that first Night phase. I will only send PMs to the players whose roles I am changing. If you do not receive a PM from me, your role will remain the same. All clear?

In case anyone missed it: WE ARE STARTING OVER.
Gwath we only have an hour or so left before end of Day 1...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #73
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
I'm really sorry I haven't been around and sucked Day 1. I had a split shift yesterday, and then work this morning and I just got back. And now I'm running away for dinner.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #74
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
Gwath we only have an hour or so left before end of Day 1...
Yeah, I know. I think it's for the best.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #75
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
I'm really sorry I haven't been around and sucked Day 1. I had a split shift yesterday, and then work this morning and I just got back. And now I'm running away for dinner.
Game's over, deary
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #76
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Well that's phooey....can we at least keep the same Lovers?? And I was also thinking, why no just end Day 1 and list everyone's roles, just for arguments sake. Unless you're planning on keeping everyone's role the same.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #77
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Would an earlier deadline suit people better? Say, 6 or 7 PM PST?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #78
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I actually prefer the one we have now to be honest.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #79
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Would an earlier deadline suit people better? Say, 6 or 7 PM PST?
I have work everyday til 6 PM...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #80
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
Well that's phooey....can we at least keep the same Lovers?? And I was also thinking, why no just end Day 1 and list everyone's roles, just for arguments sake. Unless you're planning on keeping everyone's role the same.
Some roles may change, some roles may remain the same, so, please, no one reveal what role you had this first time around. Save that for after the game is finished. Thanks.