The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #81
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I got finished with everything a little sooner than anticipated *yay*, but mostly that was because I was dead tired and decided not to continue practice any further. I'll be around the rest of the day, but likely will not be able to make it to the late DL on this night.

I've scanned through, there's lots of wolves and werebear dynamics discussion. The fact is (and what Pitch refers to an earlier post about the "disagreement" that got people lynched in the previous game with the werebear) if the werebear wants to win a solid strategy is to target wolves at night. Period. What the werebear actually does is a different matter, but the wolves pose just as much as a threat to the werebear during the Night as the werebear getting lynched.

Someone suggested that the bear would team up with the wolves (I'll go back and find out who in a bit ), but that only ends in a loss for the bear. It serves no benefit for his win to keep the wolves alive. This is what I think was the disagreement in the last game with the werebear, because there really is no way to control what the bear (or wolves) decide to do. However, I see no harm in discussing Sauce's questions, afterall we talk wolf strategy all the time, why not werebear?

There's also a dual-purpose. It's been proven in previous villages where wolves get 2 kills that's not as much of a benefit as some make it out to be. In the Night Guard game the wolves went for the easy set up-lynch innocent Legate the next day instead of cashing in on their 2-kills. I realize the dynamics of that game were different than this, but in this case one of the kills at night will not be by the wolves. So, one of the wolves risks dying at night, as the werebear also is at risk for dying. Thus the dual-purpose, if the werebear targets wolves at night and therefor is a threat to the wolves, than the wolves will have to definitely consider going after the bear. My stating of this I don't think ruins the dynamics, because it is a very logical thing to assume, if the werebear wants to win he's got to bring down the number of wolves quickly, and if the werebear proves to be a threat the wolves will have to go after him. So, let's set them against eachother, or in the very least make them think we are setting them against eachother.

I'm going to catch up on a thorough read through and post thoughts on everyone. Before I forget

*hands Fea a cinnamon roll* How long did it take to write that poem? Bravo.

Edit: crossed since Pitch's 78

Last edited by Boromir88; 11-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #82
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Looking at our more taciturn co-villagers:
Brinn - one post, with some content, which I've commented on above; nothing to add.
wilwa - same applies to her.
Fea - our resident poet; has surfaced and given us some wonderful verse, but a little less form and more substance would be nice, when she's done eating cookies. (Question to those who've played more games with her: Does she always make such a theatrical entrée or only when she's a wolf, like last time I saw her do it in Mnemo's game?)
McCaber - one very short post, agrees with Nog and Fea, excuses himself because toDay is terrible for him.
sally - some early morning banter, next to nothing to go on. Under surface.
Lari - one post, zero content. Classical submarine.
Boro - Ah, I see he's just showed up.
Nothing at all from: Hakon and Lottie.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #83
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
And Boro not only shows up, but also says something and sounds quite reasonable.
However:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
So, let's set them against eachother, or in the very least make them think we are setting them against eachother.
And how exactly would you suggest we do that? You just spent quite a number of words on explaining why they'd naturally have to kill one another anyway, so what consequences, if any, should this situation have for our strategy?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #84
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have arrived at last. I am going to start off by saying DON'T PAY ATTENTION THE BEAR YET. I am going to use names from this previous disagreement that has been mentioned. I thought we could use the bear to our advantage and Rikae got mad at me and then there was a fight and the bear killed me. That bear was Mira. Seer whoever you think Mira would make a bear, dream of that person tonight.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #85
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Fea - our resident poet; has surfaced and given us some wonderful verse, but a little less form and more substance would be nice, when she's done eating cookies. (Question to those who've played more games with her: Does she always make such a theatrical entrée or only when she's a wolf, like last time I saw her do it in Mnemo's game?)
Everything Fea does is theatrical. Which is both entertaining for us and something for her to hide behind. It doesn't really speak either way towards her guilt or innocence.

Ok, sorry for the sudden popping out- I got an emergency "I can't get my kids from karate" call. I'm going to catch back up. I'll probably have to drift in and out tonight, and vote a couple hour before deadline.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #86
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
Seer whoever you think Mira would make a bear, dream of that person tonight.
Just to forestall any further meta-game reasoning, roles were assigned randomly (picked from a hat). Mira said so. And welcome among the happy few posting at the moment.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #87
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I have arrived at last. I am going to start off by saying DON'T PAY ATTENTION THE BEAR YET. I am going to use names from this previous disagreement that has been mentioned. I thought we could use the bear to our advantage and Rikae got mad at me and then there was a fight and the bear killed me. That bear was Mira. Seer whoever you think Mira would make a bear, dream of that person tonight.
And once again, for the very last time:

THE ROLES ARE CHOSEN AT RANDOM. Period. The end. It's over.

Edit: crossed with Pitch

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #88
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Just to forestall any further meta-game reasoning, roles were assigned randomly (picked from a hat). Mira said so. And welcome among the happy few posting at the moment.
That is what McCaber said about his game and I still figured out that he had made SPM a wolf. I will do some thinking as to who the bear is and who the wolves are. I will post my suspicions and hope that the seer picks one of those names to dream of. I know the seer won't listen to me alone so I am hoping my suspicions are shared. Now looking at who Mira would pick to be the bear a few names come to mind. Fea, Boro, and Sally.

Last edited by Hakon; 11-03-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: crossed with Roa who is very angry with me it seems
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #89
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
That is what McCaber said about his game and I still figured out that he had made SPM a wolf. I will do some thinking as to who the bear is and who the wolves are. I will post my suspicions and hope that the seer picks one of those names to dream of. I know the seer won't listen to me alone so I am hoping my suspicions are shared. Now looking at who Mira would pick to be the bear a few names come to mind. Fea, Boro, and Sally.
Sorry, I just don't buy this meta-reasoning, especially when it was explicitly stated that the roles were given randomly, and how that was done. You may have guessed correctly using that method before, but it's a waste of time to count on it as a logical tool for ferreting out baddies, in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #90
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
I know this is just your way of playing, but still...
Could we please hear some intra-game reasoning? As in, based on what people have said up to now, who has been suspected for what by whom, and so? I mean, just for a change?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #91
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
And how exactly would you suggest we do that? You just spent quite a number of words on explaining why they'd naturally have to kill one another anyway, so what consequences, if any, should this situation have for our strategy?
To get them against eachother (or in the very least make the wolves think the bear is after them or vice versa) would hopefully change what they want to do at night. We won't know what they are attempting until kills actually start happening, but if the bear decides to be a threat to the wolves at night than the wolves will have to consider trying to kill the bear. If the bear thinks the wolves will want to knock him off, than the bear has to think about killing wolves. What good does this do us? They try to kill eachother at night instead of working to kill innocents.

Hakon, just because SpM was a wolf doesn't mean McCaber still didn't randomize it. That just means SpM had his name randomly picked. Considering who Mira will pick for what role is plain out headachingly confusing. Not only is delving into the mind of the modgoddess could cause you to lose your sanity, but I think she has repeatedly stated all roles were pulled from a hat. I don't know what else there is to say about this.

Speaking of the modgoddess and deaths...last time I requested an honourable death and you delivered spectacularly. I trust (and expect) you will do the same for me again.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #92
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, to start I see Nogrod has made quite an entrance. I really want to ignore him for at least toDay, so I don't fall into the old "Roa and Nog are trying to kill each other and they're both innocent" fiasco again. I'll start paying attention to him later.

Greenie has voted for Nogrod. From what I can tell it's because he suspected her, even though it's been stated that he always does. It seems off to me, somehow, but then as I said, I'm pointedly ignoring Nogrod so I don't do the same. So I'll leave this alone for now as well, because to reason it out, I'd have to look at him, and if I do that I'll want to argue with him, and then we'll end up trying to lynch each other regardless of our respective roles.

Boro, the person who said the bear might work with the wolves is me, and the reason I said it is because the village can't win until the bear and the wolves are dead. We have to lynch him or we lose. This would encourage the bear to not want to help us at all. Or least to let the wolves thin us out a bit before he starts trying to kill them.

I'm not angry with you Hakon. I'm very frustrated that you can't seem to understand this. You got lucky with SPM. One instance doesn't prove your theory, and if you persist on this line of reasoning then you are inherently unhelpful to the village.

BTW, by saying you don't believe the roles are picked randomly, even though Mira said they were, is to call Mira a liar, and that's just rude.

My suspicion against Nerwen is pretty weak right now. I need to read through and see if anything jumps back out at me. Though I wouldn't mind lynching Hakon if he keeps up the meta-gaming nonsense.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #93
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Two things jump out at me on my read through. Firstly, SPM reacted to my pretty mild suspicion with a disproportionate amount of force, and then brought really circumstantial evidence (my misunderstanding being a "ruse") and a misrepresentation of the reason I suspected Nerwen against me. Maybe he just looking for someone to suspect, or maybe he's upset that I pointed out a possible ruse.

Secondly, the way Pitch goes along with "let's lynch the quiet ones" idea posed by Nogrod. Don't get me wrong- I agree with the idea. It just seems Pitch jumped on it somewhat enthusiastically, even making a list of the quietest villagers. This is pretty weak though, and everything else Pitch has said sounds like her reasonable self.

So there it is: i suspect Nerwen, SPM and Pitch most of all. My strongest case is SPM.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 11-03-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #94
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Back from the Mead Hall...

As stupid as it is to join a choir, I think I must. Please Hakon, reconsider your stance and start playing. That attitude does not help us at all. You were the hero of the last game but in this one we start from scratch. Don't either think what you thought the last game applies to this one - or that if you were right in the last one the same arguments will be good this time around.

It may be you were not only lucky last time, or then you were, no one can say, but you must also see that most WW-hosts actually randomise the roles for good (I've hosted / co-hosted, what four games I think, and all the roles have been random) and thus the speculations over those matters are kind of against the spirit of the game. We want to play, not to second guess the moods of the mod.

X'd with Roa...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #95
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Though I wouldn't mind lynching Hakon if he keeps up the meta-gaming nonsense.
Same here. To be honest, an idiosyncratic playing style is a lousy reason to lynch somebody, as I've said time and again, but there's only so much of it I can stand, and one cobbler is quite enough to deal with.
Problem is, this would make a perfect bandwagon for the wolves to hide in. So rather not.

(x-ed with Roa. Fair enough, but my sex hasn't changed since last time. That damned nick...)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #96
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
everything else Pitch has said sounds like her reasonable self.
I think I can rest assured you two are not mates in crime this time or then this is reaally deliberate... is this what, the third time... or the fourth?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #97
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll get it right eventually, Pitch. Sorry.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #98
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

My fault, really. I should have pretended to be a girl from the start. Then in a couple of years I could have made a nice coming-out thread.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #99
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Catching up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraModdess
*is officially taking death requests*
Well, it's not Poe, but if I have to go, I would rather like to go like the Kenneth Williams character in Carry on Screaming. Frying Tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
What's going on between Roa and SpM at the moment looks like a classical suspicion match between two active innocents to me. Nice TV for the wolves.
Quite possibly. My reasons for suspecting Roa basically revolve around her aggressive approach, particularly her early accusations of Nerwen and me based on what I regard as rather flimsy evidence. It might be said that a Wolf would not risk drawing attention to herself by acting so aggressively, especially on Day 1. Problem is that Roa always acts that way, whether Wolf or Innocent. As I said, I'm reserving judgment for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
All this creating of confusion, all that could be seen as "contact-making" (more of that with Greenie), all the suspicion thrown around like at random (well that could be argued for as a tactics of an innocent as well) and to top it; his defence of himself of saying it would be bad for a wolf to do what he did... heh, so not a wolf, but... a cobbler?
Pur-lease. As both Roa and Pitch have pointed out, if it was a ruse, it was a bad one. Credit me with a bit more nouse, please.

Quote:
Now if I would have to make a quess now on who's the Bear, I would say Greenie is. The way she talks about the Bear all the time ("no Bear would talk of her own role that much") would be just fine for a Bear.
I don't get this at all. Everyone has been talking about the Bear to some degree or other. Which is hardly surprising, given that the Bear is a relatively rare feature of WW games. And, given that Greenie was simply saying that we should not concentrate on the Bear but not forget him either, you seem rather to be over-emphasising the import of her words in this regard. I see nothing especially 'Bearish' in what Greenie has said, as distinct from anyone else who has discussed the subject.

Is it me, or is Noggie acting uncharacteristically aggressively? Perhaps he has changed his style since days of yore, but I always thought that he was more measured, at the outset at least. The again, the same point applies as I made above. Would a Wolf act so 'in your face' right from the outset on Day 1?

I'm glad to see that Boro, at least, caught my drift concerning the dynamics between the Bear and the Wolves. I pretty much agree with all that he says. It's not a case of trying to get one or t'other of them on our side or relying on them to side with us, but rather pointing out, so that they are clear, what it is their best interests to do.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #100
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife about Hakon
To be honest, an idiosyncratic playing style is a lousy reason to lynch somebody, as I've said time and again, but there's only so much of it I can stand, and one cobbler is quite enough to deal with. Problem is, this would make a perfect bandwagon for the wolves to hide in. So rather not.
And this is the general dilemma of WW...

On the surface I do wholly agree with you two with the fact that the way Hakon plays looks like worthy of a lynch-vote.

On a second thought it looks like Pitchie is right: Going after Hakon for that reason would be just the way the wolves would like to do: easy and non-controversial...

But with a third glance on it, what Pitch says would be just what an intelligent wolf would say to make those suspecting his possible mate to look suspicious... Especially if Hakon's mates had been advicing him to go on with that same style...

EDIT: X'd with the latest few...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #101
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

So I'm up to reading post #55 and am stopping for a break...

The first few posts were junk posts (mine included). Sally does bring up the theory that the first posters are typically wolves, SpM accuses (less "seriously" than the rest of his post) all the first posters, and Inzil wonders the statistics of the theory.

Interesting...I assign the start of the 1st-poster theory to Mith, because it was my first game and she first mentioned it. It could have been someone else before, but I just personally think of Mith. She was a wolf then, but she's also propsed the same as an innocent. It is reasonable to think the evil ones will be excited and anxious to get the game started, thus are the first to post, but the results are rather mixed. I mean someone could just want to be the first to post and get started regardless of role.

Sauce, jests with all of his top-suspects being the first posters, I don't see anything wrong with that. The only thing that gets me suspicious about Sauce is when he said he was going to "reserve judgement" about suspects for now. This strikes me as not a typical Sauce, who before has criticized me for saying I wanted to try a more "observation" role, instead of being my typical blabber-mouth.

Inzil asks about actual statistics and displays curiousity about, which gets me slightly suspicious, as it looks like he's trying to get people seriously suspecting the 1st posters. And only slightly suspicious because he could be honestly curious about the actual stats and then using that as his way to vote, which makes a more reasonable vote than casting a random one.

I'm most suspicious of sally though, who states she did not want to be the 1st-poster because she wanted to avoid the "crap," yet she still posts nothing else except a youtube link for the modgoddess. That gets me the most suspicious, she actually tried to avoid looking like the suspicious "1st-poster," but still makes a post that says nothing. Then her next post she just says she's leaving.

Now onto the 3 or 4 bad wolf, good wolf curfluffle. Sauce looks innocent, in the way that he tries to clear up the confusion over the number of wolves, and the good-wolf talk. There was obvious confusion caused by Mira's poor math skills in the one instant (no worries, once while trying to make a point during a lesson I wrote 8-5 was 4 ). Anyway the point is there was obviously confusion and with the way it was written, it looks like an honest misunderstanding not someone faking ignorance over rules.

Why suspect Roa for going after Sauce though? If someone says something that is wrong, whether it was an honest mistake or not, I would hope someone else jumps in and corrects it. Roa's questions were aimed to clear up confusion as well as what Sauce was thinking about his "good wolf" talk, someone want to explain what is suspicious there?

I am suspicious of Morsul's little question about it. If anything that is the one that looks like fake ignorance.
Quote:
I agree the bear should be a top priority I mean we have to kill three(or is it four?)wolves to eliminate their nightly kill, but only one bear to get rid of his or her kill. Seventeen people... 5 wolf/bears... so 12 Innocents considering we lynch the wrong person. in theory 4 days is our time limit for the village...~post 17
First he says 3, but then asks if it's 4. Then in the bolded part it looks like he already knows the true answer "5 wolf/bears" there's only 1 bear, a slip that you knew already there were 4 wolves?

Then in #32 he does the math and points out:
Quote:
3 Wolves Not Four!
Which Roa responds in #39 that Mira made a typo or her math is wrong. Mira clears up there are 4 wolves. So, I think out of that entire discussion Morsul looks the most suspcious.

Edit crossed with everything after Roa's #92, which reminds me I forgot to say something about that post. (see upcoming post)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #102
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Boro, the person who said the bear might work with the wolves is me, and the reason I said it is because the village can't win until the bear and the wolves are dead. We have to lynch him or we lose. This would encourage the bear to not want to help us at all. Or least to let the wolves thin us out a bit before he starts trying to kill them.
Thanks for making it easy on me.

The other point is try as we might, we can't control what the wolves and bear will do and we won't be able to figure out what they are doing until they make their kills.

So at least early on you could be right that the bear will seek to work with the wolves and vice versa. Maybe they want the double kills? But just as much as they are our enemies, they are also enemies, and as Pitch says they are already naturally against eachother. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later, and actually with 4 wolves the bear should worry about killing the wolves sooner rather than later.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #103
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Only popping in for a moment before I go to do my show... might have to vote now Even though I have nearly zero suspicions after reading everything.

Ok For people who think the fact that saucey was a wolf last time has nothing to do with this time because both were random picks... While technically true there is the statistics...

1/16 last time 1/17 this time so therefore chance of wolf Both times becomes 1/272

Obviously Just because of that math we shouldn't leave him alone.... Green seems absorbed by the bear but still not really enough for me to vote...

Ok so the only one who really has a strong case would be SPM... the friendly wolf thing... but we were all confused.... but by the math not the wording...

SPM- you said we should always lyncha known cobbler rather than an unknown so Whether you're a cobbler or Wolf ....

SPM++

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 11-03-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Highlighting vote and crossed with some
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #104
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Firstly, SPM reacted to my pretty mild suspicion with a disproportionate amount of force, and then brought really circumstantial evidence (my misunderstanding being a "ruse") and a misrepresentation of the reason I suspected Nerwen against me. Maybe he just looking for someone to suspect, or maybe he's upset that I pointed out a possible ruse.
Oh for goodness sake, I am not having this. I think that it was perfectly reasonale to point out that your jumping on my misunderstanding looked suspicious, as it did to me. And the fact that you subsequently retracted made no difference. The mischief was in sowing the seed of doubt, as evidenced by the fact that Brinniel and others picked up on it, and the fact that we are still discussing the issue now.

I reall am rather miffed at being suspected on the basis of something that would have involved an improbable amount of foresight (to spot the opportunity) combined with an equal measure of stupidity (for thinking that it might work).

And you call my case against you circumstantial, Roa? That's quite something, given the flimsiness of your case against Nerwen, and now me. I think that it is you who is looking for someone to suspect.

But, as you have said, it is Day 1 and we are all looking for someone to suspect based on what we have, such as it is.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #105
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Actually I thought there was a "Good wolf" until doing the math (the reason for 3/4? was would the "good" wolf be considered in the wolves count... but after I did the math(which we now know was flawed) I now know the answer...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #106
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Actually I thought there was a "Good wolf" until doing the math (the reason for 3/4? was would the "good" wolf be considered in the wolves count... but after I did the math(which we now know was flawed) I now know the answer...
And yet you vote for me for thinking the same.

Congratulations. You have just appeared between my crosshairs.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #107
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Fair enough, I was also going to say, about you this is my first game with you...and I believe your second? I didn't read the last game, so I have no idea about your style, but wanted to get a response from you first before sharing that.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #108
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul's vote looks like it came out of left field.

SPM, flimsy is saying that I made up being confused about the number of wolves. That is completely circumstantial. You used that to feed into the idea that my case against Nerwen is weak, which I clearly admitted it was. I have one point, it's that she jumped onto something you said to Inzil, which could also be construed as you sowing a seed of doubt against him, which clearly worked because Nerwen went with it.

You see the flaw in your reasoning? Just because someone else jumps onto what I'm saying doesn't mean that was my intention. The people jumping on are more suspicious, because it's easier for a wolf to nudge on an already present suspicion than to start one of their own. I found Nerwen more suspicious than you until you become over-defensive about the whole thing.

edit: crossed with Morsul down, and I have to go to dinner, but I'll be back.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #109
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And yet you vote for me for thinking the same.

Congratulations. You have just appeared between my crosshairs.
Actually I'm saying we were confused by the math(due to the seven vs. six ordo error)

But you threw in this "Good Wolf" idea and created more confusion, so yes you are my top suspect. I fell for Your ruse or "confusion" but I think until you said the good wolf thing we all knew what was actually meant You placed that seed of doubt..

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 11-03-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Making intended person in post clear (SPM)
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #110
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
SPM, flimsy is saying that I made up being confused about the number of wolves.
Circumstantial, maybe. But relevant nevertheless and, I think, a reasonable basis for an early Day 1 suspicion when combined with the other points that I raised. You did seem rather keen to claim that you had thought there only to be three Wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
You see the flaw in your reasoning? Just because someone else jumps onto what I'm saying doesn't mean that was my intention.
Eh? My suspicions, such as they are, are not based on anything that anyone else has said. They are based purely on what you have said. You appear to be trying to misrepresent the nature of my case against you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
I found Nerwen more suspicious than you until you become over-defensive about the whole thing.
Well, given that my misunderstanding about the 'friendly Wolf' appears to have given rise to no small amount of suspicion and now one vote, I hardly think that I am being overly-defensive. I am merely trying to point out the ludicrous nature of the basis for such suspicion. Still, if you were trying to sow the seeds of doubt against me back there, it seems to have paid off.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #111
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

It's bedtime for me, and I won't be back for DL, so it's voting time, too. I'd rather vote somebody I suspect for a reason rather than Hakon, or one of the subs I'm allegedly so enthusiastic about lynching. SpM might be a candidate, but I sort of like the defense he's just made and would like to give him some more playing time.
What I don't like is how Boro has just blown up sally's early morning jokes into a bubble of suspicion. That's not much to go on, but nobody has really looked at him yet.
++Boro
Good Night.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Allow me, Roa, to set you right:
Couple of deaths per Night
Requires only one Wolf-man.
On that note, the Werangutan
Should fast attempt to kill the Loups
To thin the threat the xe dies too.
If each night the living wolves do kill,
Certainly, if the village doesn't kill the 'Tan, the other bad guys will.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul
1/16 last time 1/17 this time so therefore chance of wolf Both times becomes 1/272
WRONG.

Because there is not only one wolf per game, the odds are FOUR out of seventeen. While the odds of being a wolf both times are statistically lower than the odds of being a wolf once, that's because you're dealing with two instead of one. When you're talking singularly about the odds of Saucie being a wolf in THIS game, it is FOUR out of seventeen, the same as the odds for every single other player.

The odds of him being a Were-something are five in seventeen, and the odds of him having evil intentions in general (ie: including the cobbler in the 'bad' group) is six in seventeen. The odds of him (or any of us) being Murderer of the Rue Morgue are one in seventeen because there's only one Werangutan, and the odds of him being cobbler are one in seventeen because there's only one cobbler.

THE END.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #113
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
The mischief was in sowing the seed of doubt, as evidenced by the fact that Brinniel and others picked up on it, and the fact that we are still discussing the issue now.
Quote:
Well, given that my misunderstanding about the 'friendly Wolf' appears to have given rise to no small amount of suspicion and now one vote, I hardly think that I am being overly-defensive. I am merely trying to point out the ludicrous nature of the basis for such suspicion. Still, if you were trying to sow the seeds of doubt against me back there, it seems to have paid off.
You are using the fact that other people suspect you as evidence for me intentionally sowing seeds of doubt. Morsul's vote has nothing to do with me- you're just blaming me for it. You're basically saying that the only reason people suspect you is because of me, and not because you actually did anything suspicious.

And there is nothing reasonable about declaring that I was trying to fool everyone by my confusion when you insist that you could not possibly have been doing just that. The first time I stated it was to clarify the numbers which were in debate at the moment, and the second time was to state why your confusion wasn't terribly suspicious because I was confused as well. You jumped on it and ran with it, well before anyone else had mentioned it, so while your over defensiveness may be justified now, it certainly wasn't then.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 11-03-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fixed bolding
Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #114
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I am going to have to vote soon.

I agree that Hakon's reasoning is wrong-headed and is unhelpful to the Village. But it is hardly a basis to vote for him, at this stage at least.

Much as Roa's stubborn obtuseness and unwillingness to see the problems with her own reasoning is frustrating, I am not going to vote for her toDay, tempting though it is to do so. The 'clash of Innocents' that Pitch referred to is something that I am definately wary of.

I have a vague feeling of unease about Pitch. He just seems to be sitting on the sidelines appearing reasonable but stirring the pot every now and then. Nothing strong enough to merit a vote for him at this stage, but one to watch I think.

Some suspicion of Nogrod, based on his early aggression, but again not enough to vote for him toDay.

My main concern now is Morsul. Not just because he voted for me, but because he has picked up on this the (frankly ludcrous, as I have pointed out) argument that others, most notably Roa, have made and used it to justify his vote.

Of the others, I have not really formed much of a view so far.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #115
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Hey, sorry guys there's a bunch of stuff going on with me right now, that kinda came out of nowhere, so I'm not gonna really be around again toDay. There's a strong chance I may have to drop out of this game, but I hope I don't have to. I'll keep you guys updated. Sorry.

Not gonna bother voting, cause it would be crazy random and I don't want to do that since I haven't really read what's been going on.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #116
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Allow me, Roa, to set you right:
Couple of deaths per Night
Requires only one Wolf-man.
On that note, the Werangutan
Should fast attempt to kill the Loups
To thin the threat the xe dies too.
If each night the living wolves do kill,
Certainly, if the village doesn't kill the 'Tan, the other bad guys will.

The only thing I'm pointing out is that the fewer wolves there are, the greater a chance they'll be wiped out early by us, which leaves us looking for the were-bear to kill. And the wolves don't have to kill the were-bear to win.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because I think it's dangerous to count on something we can't possibly know about. It really all boils down to the Bear's personality. Granted, I've never actually played in a game with a bear, but it seems like everyone just assuming the bear will help us kill wolves instead of helping the wolves kill us seems like a dangerous mentality to get into.

Edit: crossed with SPM down

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #117
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
You are using the fact that other people suspect you as evidence for me intentionally sowing seeds of doubt.
Oh good grief. I probably shouldn't be rising to it, as it is no doubt most entertaining for the Wolves. I am not doing this at all, Roa. I am pointing out that, if you did try to sow seeds of doubt, it worked. I shouldn't have to repeat this but perhaps you will listen this time round. My suspicions of you derive solely from what you have done, not from what anyone else has done. Are we clear on that now?

As you will have seen form my last post, I am not holding you responsible for Morsul's vote. I regard him entirely responsible for that. And I do think that there might be something Wolfish in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
And there is nothing reasonable about declaring that I was trying to fool everyone by my confusion when you insist that you could not possibly have been doing just that.
Er, trying to claim that you thought that there were only three Wolves would be a clever ruse. Trying to pretend that there was a 'friendly Wolf' would be a stupid one. That's why I think yours a possibility while I regard the accusation against me as frankly insulting.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #118
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
... it seems like everyone just assuming the bear will help us kill wolves instead of helping the wolves kill us seems like a dangerous mentality to get into.

I am not sure that anyone is assuming that. I most certainly am not. I agree that we cannot rely on the Bear do do anything vis-a-vis the Wolves. Ditto the Wolves vis-a-vis the Bear. However, I see no harm in pointing out, for the Bear's benefit, that it is in his interests to go after the Wolves.

I am not sure that I like the look of Pitch's vote. It rather came out of nowhere. Flimsy reasoning has been much discussed toDay (hardly suprising, given that it is Day 1), but his case against Boro looks to be the flimsiest of the flim to me.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #119
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay.

I don't like some buddying-ups around here and I find some rows somewhat fabricated.

Both these classes include Spm...

Also I think he is not reading people on even terms which always raises an eyebrow... and all that praise over someone saying that the wolves and the Bear are enemies who need to get rid of one another... is that news Saucie? Why praise Boro so many times for stating the obvious while others have been busy trying to get bad individuals caught?

But I will not vote for him as that is not enough to serve as a basis for a vote on Day1. But not knowing the future one needs to lay open his two cents.

That leaves me torn between two options.

Trying the odds with a submarine (which I would then call you others to vote as well) as the chances are best they ever can be in this game looking at the unhappy ratio we have.

Going against my conscience & will and voting for Greenie who I suspected and who retaliated like she just tried to get out of that with the "retaliatory move".

A short thought and then vote.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #120
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Why praise Boro so many times for stating the obvious while others have been busy trying to get bad individuals caught ...
Have you been neglecting to take your exaggeration medication again, Noggie? First Greenie and now me. Since when does a passing mention in a single post constitute praising someone "so many times"?

I need to vote and I am probably going to vote for Morsul for picking up on others' specious reasoning and using it to justify his vote. But first I need to go and work out how to do this highlighting of votes ...