The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Admin Thread for TiG LXVIII: A Full Moon Over Innsmouth

Can you hear it, my cubs? Gaia screams in terror.

The stars are wrong tonight, and Luna hides her face from us. Bad times are in the air.

I tell you truly, whatever's causing this is on the coast. You three, go to the city of Innsmouth. Find the root of the problem, and destroy it. It will be hard, and it will be bloody, but you must do it. Begin slowly, claws in the dark, and when the hour is right, bring down the rage on them and their whole city.

Go.

Welcome to Werewolf 68: A Full Moon Over Innsmouth. Roles are pretty standard. There will be one lynch allowed per day, one kill allowed per night. When the village is reduced to the same number as the werewolves, the wolves win. If all the wolves are eliminated, the village wins. Roles are as follows:

The Dreamer: Once per night he may choose another player. In the watery visions, he is shown the truth about his target's role.

The Priest: Once per night she may focus the power of the Order into a blessing of protection. Her target may not be killed until the next morning. She cannot target the same player twice in a row, however. Too much of that sort of attention is unhealthy.

The Changed: He knows his destiny, and it does not end in claws and blood, but in the waters. If he should die, he has the ability to take one player with him. He may choose a new target at any time before his death.

The Agent: There's been some weird things going on. The faster she can report back and leave this city, the better. She is working against the village, and she wins if Innsmouth loses.

The Pack: They've been sent to stop the apocalypse. They may work together to kill one villager per night. And for once, they're not the scariest thing in the town.

Current player list:
Inziladun, fisherman
Pitchwife, heretical organist
Loslote, humble seamstress
Hakon
wilwa
Nogrod, student of alternate cosmologies
Saucepan Man, disturbed and disturbing artist
Roa, Innsmouth physician (with everything that entails)
Craydon1, penniless drifter
Nienna, "innocent" child and meteorologist
Nerwen, last scion of a decadent dynasty
Legate, displaced scholar of the Pnakotic Shards
A Little Green, blind ex-soldier
Morsul, quiet librarian
Kitanna
Lairen Shadow
Brinn

Feel free to give yourself a role in the village. Keeping it HP Lovecraft appropriate is a plus, but not mandatory.

Last edited by McCaber; 10-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm in, cos I can't pass it up.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Iä, Cthulhu! Give us your gifts and keep us through the nights. By your servants' names we pray, the Water Brothers to change us, the Winged Sisters to enlighten us, and the One who protects us. Amen.

Voting should be done on a new line, bolded, like so:

++ McCaber

Any other vote will not be counted.

Deadlines will be at 1600 GMT (11:00am my time).

Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Me too. I'll be the organ player at one of the churches undermined by the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

P.S.
Quote:
Can you hear it, my cubs? Gaia screams in terror.
Werewolf: The Apocalypse?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm in, but the deadline might be a toughie...I'll see what I can do... but I'll definitely play.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow, it only took two posts until someone discovered it. Yeah, this began in my head as a crossover Werewolf: the Apocalypse/Call of Cthulhu scenario. Until I realized it would work just as well as a Werewolf game. Funny how that works.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Forgot about the role. Seeing as it's Innsmouth, I'm a fisherman.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Count me in.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Hmm....if this starts by atleast friday I can play, if it starts after friday then I probably shouldn't. So put me as a question mark please!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I could actually be a student of cosmicism...

So count me in!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I could actually be a student of cosmicism...

So count me in!
At Miskatonic University?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
At Miskatonic University?
Don't you know that I have been supervised by Mr. Armitage himself? Although cosmicism takes other routes than which he had to offer me.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Don't you know that I have been supervised by Mr. Armitage himself? Although cosmicism takes other routes than which he had to offer me.
Just let alone anything written by that Mad Arab....
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Count me in. It's about time that I found my Werewolfing paws again.

I shall be a reclusive artist - a painter whose disturbing work is known for its depiction of strange visions, unearthly scenes and impossible dimensions ...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm in, but if it starts before Columbus Day, I'll have trouble being involved the first few days.

Put me down as the town doctor, who specializes in the... unique needs of the villagers.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Craydon1
Pile O'Bones

Craydon1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Craydon1 Send a message via Skype™ to Craydon1
Hey I'm new to this way of playing werewolf, but would be interested in giving it a try. If we are picking roles, I like the drifter from some of Lovecraft's tales. If anyone's played Arkham Horror, Ashcan Pete rocks. Oh, btw, Roa invited me.
Craydon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Craydon1
Pile O'Bones

Craydon1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Craydon1 Send a message via Skype™ to Craydon1
Oh, I'll also have problems playing before C Day. After that I'll be fine.
Craydon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
As for the role...I've never read the story, so I'm not sure what all we're choosing from, but would a seamstress fit?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm in though deadline might be a bit awkward. I'm very addicted to this game.

I'm trying to get a sparknotes from Fea as we speak about Lovecraft as I don't know him... so far she has given me "Lovecraft is Poe minus the alliteration" and now "creepy stories about small towns and dodgy houses where people do kinda creepy things... badly timed weather" she would however like this disclaimer "Fea has only actually read two Lovecraft stories that she can remember, and so is making a generalization, but the generalization was supported by a Lovecraft enthusiast."

So I'd like to be the badly timed weather please... Erm... I mean... I would like to be the innocent looking child with a disconcerting ability to predict the badly timed weather.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
Count me in. It's about time that I found my Werewolfing paws again.

*faints*

And for the record, I am in fact out. Deadline's rather awful for me and things are going to be getting a bit hectic soon so it's the perfect time for a Werewolf vacation.

ETA: Oh, and Cabbie, the game does look amazing. Haven't read Lovecraft but I think it should be fun. I'll try to keep my eye on the game.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #21
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would like to note that deadline does not work for me too well. It is about noon my time. I will have to vote early.

Also Nienna you can read all of Lovecraft's works online for free. It is how I have been reading them since the start of summer. The Specific Story that this game is based off of.

Site one that has his complete works.
Site two
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in.

I will be one of the last survivors of a once-prominent, now sadly degenerate family. Strange and terrible things are whispered about the source of our vast wealth and our mysterious "heirlooms" that only a few have seen... those few being generally struck mad on the spot.

Last edited by Nerwen; 10-06-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: grammar
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #23
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow, SpM himself. I haven't seen him since just after I joined.

Nice work so far on the careers, people. I'm going to have some fun with these write-ups.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hm hmm! Okay, count me in. I shall be a scholar of Pnakotic Manuscripts, constantly troubled by visions of, apparently, his life in another space and time and the idea that he does not actually belong in this place at all.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up Instant Lovecraft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I'm trying to get a sparknotes from Fea as we speak about Lovecraft as I don't know him... so far she has given me "Lovecraft is Poe minus the alliteration" and now "creepy stories about small towns and dodgy houses where people do kinda creepy things... badly timed weather"
That's about right. Now you just need to pepper your conversation with the following:

"Yog-Sothoth blah, blah, blah... Miskatonic University blah, blah... shoggoths blah, blah, blah... ghastly shapes hinting at nameless horrors behind the protective veil of mortal vision, blah... Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos blah, blah, blah... The Great Old Ones blah, blah, blah... unspeakable soul-blasting monstrosities from the abyss blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... Necronomican blah, blah, blah... R'lyeh blah, Cthulhu blah blah, blah..."

There.

Last edited by Nerwen; 10-06-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #26
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Sign me in. Lommy wants to play too and die on Night 2.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #27
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I just read the wiki on it and got the basic idea. As for Werewolf: the Apocalypse, read here.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #28
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Just read the first page of the story from the link Hakon provided, and it sounds really neat, right up my ally.

And SPM is playing....and school is fairly slow over the next few weeks....soooo

I'm gonna say that I should definitely be able to play, need more time to figure out some sort of occupation though.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #29
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

If Possible I'd like to be included in this game,

In Lovecraft-Fashion I'll be the Creepy Quiet Librarian
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #30
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd like to join up, especially since SpM is about.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Actually -

sorry, I came to my senses, take me off the list, I really don't have time to play (that's why I wanted to die on Night2)...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #32
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I think I'll be a blind ex-soldier who lives on rats. Hope that's ok. (I'm not familiar with Lovecraft's work, but read the Wikipedia article about the book... )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #33
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
I'm game!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #34
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
Put me down as the town doctor, who specializes in the... unique needs of the villagers.
Like doing face jobs on Nerwen's older relations so they can show themselves in public and go shopping in Newburyport? You'll make a fortune!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #35
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
this is my first time playing WW... I just looked at an old WW game to see how to play I am COMPLETELY confused and I haven't gotten past day one... can anyone help explain it to a newbie like me? I though it was like the rpg threads but it doesn't seem to be

EDIT: so the mod makes the story and then we vote and such... we don't actually narrate our on characters... DO I have that right?

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 10-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
this is my first time playing WW... I just looked at an old WW game to see how to play I am COMPLETELY confused and I haven't gotten past day one... can anyone help explain it to a newbie like me? I though it was like the rpg threads but it doesn't seem to be

EDIT: so the mod makes the story and then we vote and such... we don't actually narrate our on characters... DO I have that right?
Indeed the mod (McCaber) will handle the narration, based upon game events. All the players have to do is play their roles and vote as befits those roles. If you're one of the Pack (or the Agent), your goal is to see the number of the innocents reduced to the number of the remaining Pack, or fewer.
Otherwise, your aim is to figure out the identities of the Pack and try to get them lynched.
You'll be sent a PM from McCaber explaining what your particular role is.

EDIT- There is a distinction between the role McCaber asked everyone to come up with, and the role he will give you. The one you pick is really just for fun, and to add a bit of spice to the narration. The one you're given by McCaber is the important one, as it dictates how you'll vote and otherwise carry yourself in your game posts.

Last edited by Inziladun; 10-08-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #37
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

got it thank you
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
I am COMPLETELY confused and I haven't gotten past day one...
That's just what playing WW feels like. Getting past Day One is the most confusing part of the game, as everyone (except for the wolves) will be groping in the dark and trying to find out whom to suspect with next to nothing tangible to go on. After the first Night kill, you look back at who said what on Day One and try to draw connections, and so on.
As for role-playing, we don't do the narrations, but I find it's more fun when people make an attempt to post in character (referring to your chosen identity, not your Mod-assigned secret role), at least initially. Later on, analyses, accusations and defenses tend to devour the role-playing aspect.
Don't worry, it's not that difficult. You'll do fine!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #39
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So starting on Tuesday works for everyone?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #40
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

work for me