The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Admin thread for T-I-G LXVII: The Rangers of the North - The Fell Winter

Rules & Regulations, vers. 1.4

The roles.

Normal Ranger – Protects one person every Night, not able to protect himself or the same person twice in a row.

Sleepy Ranger – Suffers from heavy sleep and doesn’t manage to stay up all Night everynight; has a chance of 1/3 to protect someone during the Night. Not able to protect himself or the same person twice in a row.

Master Hunter – Kills a wolf when dies if the wolf is on the list of three (with players from 18-13), list of two (12-7 players) or one (6-0).

“Hates dark deeds” Hunter – Kills anyone he suspects if killed during the Night.

“Hates conspiracies” Hunter – Kills anyone he suspects if lynched.

Berserk Hunter – Kills anyone he suspects at anytime if killed / lynched.

Soulmates – (technically a kind of “lovers”) Have known each other from early childhood and have suffered many a fight together. They can PM during the Days.

If one is lynched the other challenges the person giving the decisive vote into a duel. The outcome of the fight – which one dies, do they both or neither – will be decided randomly (I’ll toss a coin for both). The soulmate will die after the next Day anyway even if he is saved in the fight.

If one is successfully targeted by the wolves during the Night the other one takes the bullet instead and saves the targeted one. The “saved” lives the next Day and can vote etc. but will die for grief the next Night.

Night-Traitor – (a cobbler with some powers) Wishes for the evil side to win and can prevent someone from his Nightly action (ranger doesn’t protect, hunter doesn’t hunt, soulmate doesn’t sacrifice himself, Night-talker / guard isn’t able to PM…); can not prevent things two Nights in a row.

Four wolves – Can plot together via PM during the Night and will try to kill one villager every Night.

Changing roles aka. the “elected” roles.

Captain – Can override a lynch by cancelling it alltogether (no one dies), deciding a draw or changing the lynchée to someone who has not more than one vote less than the one about to die. *

He will appoint to him two bodyguards (with 18-13 villagers, with 12-7 he chooses one and with 6 or less there are no BG’s anymore) with whom he can PM during the Night. The Captain or the BG’s can’t perform any Nightly tasks – with the exception of a wolf who can still PM his mates. As long as the Captain has guards with him he can not be targeted by the wolves. So when the “village” is down to 6 players also the Captain can be killed during the Night – unless protected by a ranger.

The Captain will be chosen on Day1. He stays a Captain as long as he lives or is voted out. Anyone can call for a Captaincy -vote at anytime during any Day. Regardless of how many people vote the one with most votes will be the Captain at the end of the Day (eg. able to make the Captain’s decisions regarding the lynch of that Day). NB. a referendum can not be called for during the last hour of the Day (just to prevent any last minute triggering with the Captaincy with just a few people online) – people can vote for a new Captain to the last minute but an election can not be called forwards at the last moments.

If people don’t want to have a Captain at some point of the game when the earlier one has died they can also vote “no Captain”. If the “no Captain” votes are a majority there will be no Captain unless someone calls for a new referendum the next Day (or the next, or…).

It is a matter between the mod and the Captain to make a deal as to how and what kind of orders he will give me concerning lynches or his BG-choices. I’d love to get them asap but will be flexible as the timezones may be an issue here.

Bodyguards – Captain appoints two bodyguards to him everyDay (later one and finally none). These three can PM during the Night to discuss matters. NB. It is not required: everyone PMs just as much as he feels fit or willing. The BG’s can not perform any other Nightly actions when being guards and can not be targeted by the wolves. Same people can not be chosen as BG’s on consecutive Nights!

Nightguards – The players vote for two Nightguards every Day and same people can not be chosen as NG’s on consecutive Nights. The NG’s can PM together during the Night and can not be targeted by the wolves. The NG’s can not perform any other Nightly actions when being guards. When there are only 12 players left only one NG will be chosen – and together with the Captain and his one BG the three can PM together and can not be targeted by the wolves (and not perform any duties). When there are only 6 players left no NG’s will be chosen.

NB. With the democratically elected roles the one(s) who gain the highest number of votes first will be elected in case of a draw.

Night-talkers – One Night-talker will be decided randomly by the mod from those who have no “village elected role” (Captain, BG or NG). The chosen one is notified of the selection after the deadline. The person can choose anyone who has no elected role that Night and the two can PM during that Night as much as they wish.

* To gain the power to cancel lynchings or change the lynchee the Captain should have gained the trust of the people by being the Captain for two Days in a row (=being elected the Day before and not sacked / voted out on the next). The newly appointed Captain would only have power over a case of a vote-tie.

Rules on voting:

If the same person has been voted as the lynchee and as the Captain, the fate s/he has more votes for will be the decisive factor (eg. whichever decision is called for by more people).

If that person has as many votes to both "positions" the difference between that person and the next one down the line decides the outcome (fex. if people wish to lynch X and the next lynchee is two votes down - and with Captaincy-vote there is only one vote difference to the next contender = lynch, etc.).

If even that is even, then it is the relative number of people voting vs. the support for X to be dealt with either giving a captaincy or lynching (in case not all make all the votes which is possible if not desirable).

If even those numbers are the same it will be decided on which vote was given the last (kind of creates the last minute feeling by those not voting for the person and thus turns them towards the last-voiced vote...

- The same rules apply to someone being voted the NG and the lynchee...

- The Captaincy takes precedence so we'll just pick the next one from the line to be the NG if those two votes end up as a draw.

- The Captain can only choose his BG's from those not having any other elected roles, so not either of the NG's.

Miscellanious rules

- The lynch-vote is the standard one eg. bolded, two pluses and on a separate row:

++ Nogrod

- Voting for the Captain should be highlighted and on a separate row

++ Captain Nogrod

or:

-- No Captain

- The same goes for voting the Nightguards

++ NG Nogrod

- In a case of a draw with lynch-votes the Captain decides who dies - or whether the lynch is cancelled altogether.

- Everyone has two retractable votes in the game. So if you need them use them.

- There will be no modfire whatsoever. The rangers need to able able to deal with that kind of things among themselves...

- No one is allowed to quote anything from possible Nightly PM's. Everyone is allowed to claim whatever they have discussed though. But no quotes!

- No one should reveal or falsely reveal the role one has during the Days (during the Nights you can claim whatever you want if able to PM others you don't know the role of).

- All votes that have .00 in them BD-time are counted in. Any vote that shows .01 or later will not be counted. The DL being 10PM GMT.

- The voted NG's over-ride the Captain's choices for BG's so one chosen as an NG can not be Captain's BG.

- The narrations will mirror things that have happened and will follow the logic of their own (the logic of the story you'll be telling with me). But you should not find any hints as to any roles from them. The narrations may give you clues as to what has happened but no particular persons or their roles will be hinted at in the narrations...

For any PM's you send me during the Night concerning various picks you'll have: the earlier you do it the happier I am. But 1 hour before the next Day begins is the absolute DL. Any picks sent to me later will be ignored.

~*~*~*~

You are a bunch of Rangers doing your duties in the wilderness on early December 2911 (3rd time). The winter has suddenly fallen and now there are rumours of the White Wolves spreading all around. And there are even fouler rumours...

There are blizzards of snow every day making any real advancement in the wilderness quite impossible, but still you feel tied to your obligation to protect the people of the surrounding areas and try to make a way forwards looking after anything that could come with the malicious winter and harm those you protect.

The drifts of snow grow higher day by day and your movement becomes slower. And just as your nerves are tested with pure frustration...

Players:

Feanor of The Peredhil
Nienna
Inziladun
Sally
Hakon
Macalaure
Kath
Loslote
Valier
Greenie
Nerwen
Roa
Lommy
Boro
Legate
Gwath
Brinn
Rune

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-23-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The object of the game - well, winning it of course, but on top of that - is to get as many players involved in the game as possible giving them chances to take part in different things going on.

Is it complicated? Yes and no.

To an ordinary "villager" there are two decisions they would have to make Daily - and possibly a third one.
1. to vote for someone to lynch
2. to vote for someone to be the Night-Guard (NG)
3. possibly to vote for a captain

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-20-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

And to add on the earlier one...

With a village of about twenty there would be four wolves and two kills by Night until the number of wolves is down to two - and then it would be one kill per Night.

So what say you?

Comments?

Wishing to join the game?

Write it here...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It's more complex than I usually go for, but I like it. As long as it starts soon, I'm in.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm in... though I will probably need some rule clarifications.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What time is deadline at?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm in.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
It's more complex than I usually go for, but I like it.
It's actually complex for me - and to certain extent to the wolves. To others it should be fairly simple... just play your role and hope for the best with all you have.

But yes, I like it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
As long as it starts soon, I'm in.
That depends on you guys as how fast you join. I'd hope we could start within a week... hopefully earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna
I'm in... though I will probably need some rule clarifications.
There will be those. After we have discussed what needs to be discussed I will post the final rules into the first post of this thread so there is an easy access to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
What time is deadline at?
Well, as one living in Finland (GMT+3 during these daylight-savings) it would be something like 9PM GMT - an hour here or there could be negotiable.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silly Sally signing up, sir. Sort of.

(Aka put me down with a question mark. Deadline's a bit rubbish for me, but I'll definitely think it over.)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm in. I can make that deadline work although with school and my timezone I will have only about an hour and a half each day and on Tuesdays I won't be able to get on before deadline at all.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sally & Hakon: Would an hour more (or less) help you with the DL?

One rule-clarification I realised I hadn't made but have thought of already (well, subject to substantial criticism).

If you don't like your Captain one of you should say it out aloud during a Day. When someone makes a no-confidence vote the position is open to a general vote. If half of the village gives their votes (in case of uneven villagers the smaller number is enough) the votes will be counted and the one getting most votes will be the Captain. In a case of a tie the old one continues. If less than half of the village votes there will be no change in leadership.

I thought we should not automatically vote for the Captain every Day for a few reasons. First of all it would complicate the game if you'd have to think about that and vote for it every Day. Secondly it relates better to the real life where changing leaders requires someone to have a nerve to stand up and declare his unhappiness with the current leadership...
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oooh, the rangers game! I wouldn't dare miss it. Sign me up, but I'll make this disclaimer right off the bat: the semester has started, and although I'm committed to participating and being as helpful (or appearing to be, mwahaha) as I can, I may not be quite the flood-poster I was during the summer. I might even make a rule for myself to only post after a certain time each day or so, just to make sure I keep up with my schoolwork. I hope that's ok. I've been looking forward to this game!
I'll do my best to get Mac on board, too...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If the deadline is an hour later it works great for me.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice to see you Rikae - and hope you'll persuade Mac in as well!

Hakon: postponing the DL for one hour means 1AM to me. I'm ready to make it if there are several people who would gain with it. You're counted as number one right now. Let me hear of you others... to whom would 10PM GMT mean a real possibility of taking part at the end of the Day?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
2200 GMT would come during my workday, so it would be hit or miss whether I could be around at DL. I could deal with it, though.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
2200 GMT would come during my workday, so it would be hit or miss whether I could be around at DL.
I suppose making it an hour hour earlier would not help it?

Maybe we'll allow for some retractables for those who are not sure if they can meet the deadline? Like three in the whole game or something... Thence you could vote earlier and then if you had a chance to come in afterwards you could change it for a limited number of times. (Sure if there are retrackies anyone could use them then... not only those who have problems with the DL.)

And as said earlier: no double-lynches. In a case of a tie the Captain decides...

Also, even if I'm an ardent supporter of modfires with people who don't participate when playing myself, I'd think it against the Ranger-mentality to make any modfires. That's a bunch of battle-hardened ruffians who would rely on each other to hold their posts and if they won't then it's up to the gang to decide...

Although I would suggest that anyone not willing to contribute should not join the game... to be fair to others if for nothing else.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I know I made mention of the fact that, back when Nogrod first announced this game, with a suggestion of what it might be like, that I wanted to play--I even had hopes of managing a mid-September game.

Alas, however, though the awesomeness of the game continues unabated, I am fully underway in my first Graduate semester, and on top of in-house commitments and the academics, I don't feel I can justify playing Werewolf--which makes me very sad. A couple of you might laugh, because I'm online daily... but that's not indicative of time commitments.

However, and this is why I'm bothering to post publicly--this game looks awesome and has my official approbation and seal of spectacularity.

Just so you know.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Oh Nog this sounds sooooo amazing and I'm insanely tempted. But I'm afraid I can't play, my semester is way too busy. Just wanted to let you know that my heart is breaking at having to miss this and I'll probably still be distracted from my schoolwork just to follow the game.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm in!

Haven't read the rules fully yet but will do so.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I would like to play, but I am in England for the Oxonmoot. . . (25-27)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I've never played this before, but I've played a similar game elsewhere, and I watched the last one. I'd like to play.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd love to play but it's the second week of classes and things are still ridiculously busy It looks like a great premise though!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Boo!!

Sounds pretty cool Noggie.
Hmmmm I'd like to join but I'm not sure if I would ever be around at the deadline. Since my pc tells me I'm GMT -6, I think thats around 3pm for me, so most days I would be voting early. I'll give it some serious thought and I'll get back soon.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Count me in. If the DL is 10PM GMT I wouldn't be around at the last two hours I think, at least on weekdays. It's not that bad, though, I'm hardly ever around at DL anyway.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in. Again, I'll probably have to vote early a lot.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #26
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Stick: play anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Stick: play anyway.
What she said.

Nog, I think I'm in, but I will be a bloody submarine most likely; just wanted to give fair warning.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

You are most welcome Loslote!

And all you others. Nice to see you.

About the schedual then... As I said, I'd hope to have around twenty players but we can play with fifteen or something as well (we'll just take out a few roles). So basically, as soon as we have the required numbers we can start.

We already have 10-11 players so that should be no problem - even if it's sad to see so many prominent and fun players being forced to not join due to RL pressures (darn RL, couldn't someone do something about it?).

I'd quess the game could start on Sunday perhaps? We'll see about that.

On the rules...

I had a terrible day today (I left from home to work at 7.30AM and got back at 9.30PM) so I'm not going to immerse myself with them this evening but will come back to them tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'd like to hear your ideas and questions about them. Do you see any problems, issues that would need balancing, things that would require clarification?

As promised already, some pretty down to earth rules will be posted into the first post of this thread as soon as they are final.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thank you very much for the invite, Nogrod! But I am afraid I'm too busy right now with school to want to commit any time at all to a game. Annnd...it looks very interesting, but (not to beat a dead horse), it is quite complicated and I have come to dislike complicated games because it seems I most often end up on the side that the scales were balanced against, because of course the more complicated it is (and the more experimental it is), the harder to keep it a balanced fight.

Anyway, sorry, I'm gonna skip out...probably won't see me doing WW for a long while again. I only like it in small doses these days.

Good luck and have fun!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #30
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This game seems somewhat unbalanced. There are too many hunters, and too many protectors.

Perhaps a random bad guy, like a Bear? It just seems like right now, there aren't enough people that could actually be killed, and too many people that run a strong chance of killing a wolf without risking innocents. Of course, I've always believed that hunters were meant to be dangerous...

Am I correct in thinking that wolf can become Captain if persuasive enough?

Also, how could a BG or the Captain be killed if they can't be killed so long as they're all there? And are the BG's known to the village? (that is, does the captain tell the village who he's choosing?)

Of course, I always think like a wolf, so I'm a little biased in their favor.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice to see you Roa!

In the beginning I felt about the same concerning the balance; there sure are a lot of actors there who can prove to be a hindrance to the wolves. But then again many of them can bite the other way too and harm the innocents. Anyway it needs to be thought of...

I'm not sure I'd wish to add any more roles that can actively kill someone. There are so many roles that have at least retaliatory killing capabilities that with bad luck we end up with a carnage. I don't think it's probable that happens but it may happen. Thus adding one more killer would make the risk higher.

So if we think we need to favour the wolves a bit it probably should be either taking out some defences from the innocents or by adding defences to the wolves. Or by some other means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Am I correct in thinking that wolf can become Captain if persuasive enough?
Yes you are. Anyone can be voted to be a Captain or a Night-Guard; and without a seer around the villagers can never be "absolutely sure" who they are voting for.

Quote:
Also, how could a BG or the Captain be killed if they can't be killed so long as they're all there? And are the BG's known to the village? (that is, does the captain tell the village who he's choosing?)
I think I forgot to continue on that later as I promised in the second post...

My idea is that let's say from 21-14 players there would be two BG's chosen by the Captain (and yes I think he should announce them - but if you think it better that their names won't be revealed I'm all ears) - as well as two Night-Guards voted by the players together. During that time those players are safe from Nightly attacks - but they can't perform their Nightly tasks either.

But when 1/3 of the village is down (about 14 players left) they kind of "can't afford" to have so many players out of the game so we'll reduce the number by one eg. there would be one BG and one NG. Those three (the two + the Captain) could be able to discuss during the Night and would be immune to any Nightly activities.

If we get so far that there is only 1/3 of the players left (around 7 players), there wouldn't be no "guards" anymore. Let's say the panic is such a factor that no one trusts someone to go outside or something like that. But the Captaincy should remain to the very end. Heh, think about the guys choosing a wolf for a captain on the last day... or the pressure upon an innocent Captain on that same situation.

Any comments on the balance-issue from you others, and Roa of course? I'll promise to think about it still...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #32
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Lommy asks me to put her down as a questionmark.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #33
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok, so if the NG, BG or captain happen to be one of the other specialized roles as well, then they can't perform that role. Can they be lynched? Also, if one of them happens to be a wolf, does that wolf count towards the number of wolves for kills? (That is, if there are 3 wolves and one is a BG, do the wolves get two kills or one?) Also, can a wolf who is a a BG, NG, or captain still talk with the other wolves?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
Ok, so if the NG, BG or captain happen to be one of the other specialized roles as well, then they can't perform that role. Can they be lynched?
Right, they can't perform any special things they'd be otherwise cabable during the Night. But sure they can be lynched. Being an NG or BG is a Night-assignment and it doesn't make others unable to lynch them during the Day. And similarly; a gang can lynch their captain. They just have to choose a new one on the next Day (and be without a Captain & his guards during the Night).

Quote:
Also, if one of them happens to be a wolf, does that wolf count towards the number of wolves for kills? (That is, if there are 3 wolves and one is a BG, do the wolves get two kills or one?)
Here I'd like to make an exception to the "logicalness" of the rules and say that the wolves would get the number of kills their total numbers give them right to, unregarding their possible Nightly roles. Otherwise the "villagers" could especially in the later stages of the game block the Nightly kills entirely (even by accident) and then make the logical deductions too easily.

Quote:
Also, can a wolf who is a a BG, NG, or captain still talk with the other wolves?
Okay, this I hadn't thought of... I'd actually like to say that they shouldn't be able to communicate with others if on duty by Night.

Which bring forwards a question of what to do if all the remaining wolves / the last remaining wolf is "on duty" during the Night and there are no "free wolves" to make the kill? As a backbone-reaction I'd say we'd come up with the wolves with a kind of a "pecking order" between them and in such a case the highest ranking wolf would decide the kill. Possibly...
Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #35
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Okay, this I hadn't thought of... I'd actually like to say that they shouldn't be able to communicate with others if on duty by Night.

Which bring forwards a question of what to do if all the remaining wolves / the last remaining wolf is "on duty" during the Night and there are no "free wolves" to make the kill? As a backbone-reaction I'd say we'd come up with the wolves with a kind of a "pecking order" between them and in such a case the highest ranking wolf would decide the kill. Possibly...
That is problematic... What the wolves have going for them is their ability to communicate, and to have that taken away is very detrimental. On the other hand, setting up something in advance can help. Not a pecking order per se, but a means for them to decide. Perhaps a vote? Each wolf sends you their choice, (or maybe two, depending on village size) and the person/people with the most votes die. In case of a tie, role a dice.

That way each wolf's voice is heard and no one feels put out.

EDIT: of course, this is only if all of the wolves are unable to talk at night. If we have two wolves and they're both NG, there wouldn't be a problem for ex. Or no wolf has a voted upon role. But then, how many wolves should be out of contact before this takes effect? If we have 4 wolves, two are NG's and two have no special role, then do they vote? Or then do the two normal wolves decide? what if 2 wolves are out of contact and one wolf is just normal?

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 09-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #36
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If it's ok that every Monday, Wednesday, and probably some Fridays I will likely not be around until 2 hours before the DL, then count me in.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
If it's ok that every Monday, Wednesday, and probably some Fridays I will likely not be around until 2 hours before the DL, then count me in.
To me it's okay. And if this game actually starts on Sunday with N1, it means the first Days will be Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday... So no problem with the first Days... and later there will be less to catch-up with.

So welcome!

Okay. I have rethought that communication-issue. Actually it would be logical that the wolves who have been appointed as guards (NG's or BG's) could communicate because surely there would be chances for them to slip away for a moment during the Night to "check the sound they heard" or "watch the perimeter" or whatever. So yes to their communication.

But the Captain issue is a bit more delicate. If he is the person guarded sure it would be hard for him to slip somewhere (okay, he tells his guards that "now you guys take a short nap, I'll guard for a while" and then slips away, maybe?). But maybe we'll say that the wolf as Captain could communicate if either of his guards is a wolf as well (that way it would be natural they had a chance to exchange a few words privately during the Night). It would bring forwards a nice additional problem for the wolf that has been voted for Captaincy as to whom to choose as his guards... Pick a mate and you can communicate during the Night but if you get caught your mate might fall under some considerable suspicion... *likes these dilemmas players need to face sometimes*
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #38
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Now this sounds really interesting, sign me in! Although I see the rules are kind of "in progress" still, the general overview of it seems rather intriguing - a long time ago, I was planning to make a similar kind of game; especially the Captain and the Night Guards idea is nice! I'd certainly like to try it. And, oh my, Roa is playing? I cannot possibly miss my favourite Cobbler. And Valier, and also Rikae visits us? I cannot miss that for sure.

Okay, off to read the rules more properly and see if I can think of something to contribute.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #39
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'd love to play, especially with Roa and Valier playing, but to be honest the rules are too complicated. (Too complicated for your own good, Nogrod. At least you should clarify them a bit because "nobody wants to read half a thread of flip-flopping before you make the final rule", says Legate, but I was merely thinking that the final rules should be understandable with less than an hour's studying.)

Or maybe it's just that some of them annoy me - let's take the Captain for example. It's a good idea, yes, but quite unfair in practice: there are going to be some people who just won't be able to be around the DL to make the decisions the Captain should or would want to be able to make which makes it probable some (many) people will/can never be elected as Captains, which is rather unfair. (And yes, that's at least half of Americans, I guess, and at least me and Greenie if we have school and the DL is 1am.) If you want to keep the Captain role, I think it should not be dependant on the DL. Maybe the Captain should just PM the mod the list of everybody in the order of how much s/he wants them killed at any time before the DL when s/he leaves the thread for good? Or something else, but the current rules are difficult and unfair.

I also think there's too much PMing allowed. It will make it utterly confusing and also put wolves at a disadvantage, because their strength is in being able to hold secret council, but now half of the village can do it so it is kind of pointless. And I'd rather have five wolves and one kill per Night than four wolves and two kills per Night, but that's just a personal preference.

Okay, I guess that's enough ranting (especially from someone who isn't even necessarily playing - I'd like to, but might be I won't have the time, especially for a complicated and Night-active game like this...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #40
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But the Captain issue is a bit more delicate. If he is the person guarded sure it would be hard for him to slip somewhere (okay, he tells his guards that "now you guys take a short nap, I'll guard for a while" and then slips away, maybe?). But maybe we'll say that the wolf as Captain could communicate if either of his guards is a wolf as well (that way it would be natural they had a chance to exchange a few words privately during the Night). It would bring forwards a nice additional problem for the wolf that has been voted for Captaincy as to whom to choose as his guards... Pick a mate and you can communicate during the Night but if you get caught your mate might fall under some considerable suspicion... *likes these dilemmas players need to face sometimes*
Hey, everyone needs some... ahem... privacy now and then, even captains. But perhaps those "on duty" should be limited to only one or two messages. I mean, one can only slip away so many times before it's suspicious.

Play Lommy! Please!