The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #201
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm...let's have some fun with this:

++Brinn

(I've always wanted to do that)

Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #202
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
*shakes head at both Shasta and Brinn* What in high heavens?

P.S. for anyone following Top Chef, there's a replay on...I honestly think they replay if 5 times in a row, and of course through out the week.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #203
autume98
Shade of Carn Dûm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know Boro well enough to know whether or not to believe him. However since I'm the type to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, I'll believe him for now.

I'm not sure what Mac was trying to accomplish by going after Boro. Since I believe Boro is innocent for now it makes it look like an attack by Mac. However I don't feel comfortable voting for him at this time.

Now I know Brinn's vote yesterDay looks suspicious, but at this time I don't think she is a wolf.

Since I wasn't giving a lot of input today, I'm not comfortable voting for someone else who wasn't putting in a lot of input as that would be hypocritical.

That doesn't leave me with a lot of choices. However I do see where Shasta is coming for and possibly voting for Form. I don't feel her reasons well enough to vote for Brinn. Yet I'm not sure that Form is a wolf either.

So I think I'm not going to vote tonight. Unless someone ends up looking really suspicious here in the next 36 minutes.

Edit: x-ed with Brinn and Boro
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #204
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Btw, WW totally made me forget to call in and vote my favourite dancer.

<-----------

But thank goodness I have family on the west coast who will vote for me, so I'm cool.

Where is everyone, anyway? It seems awfully quiet considering deadline is only 25 minutes away...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #205
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Brinn...do you want to be lynched?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #206
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Brinn...do you want to be lynched?
Not particularly, being innocent and all. But I won't be too upset if I am since I'm only an ordo and a bit useless.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #207
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Not particularly, being innocent and all. But I won't be too upset if I am since I'm only an ordo and a bit useless.
If you're lynched and innocent than you're useless, but right now you're not or at least have a chance
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #208
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Good to know, because I'm at least trying to be useful. Didn't expect to become the center of attention toDay, though.

But seriously, where is everyone? Strange that I'm actually more active than a lot of players right now.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #209
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

So...don't know where anyone is...and umm completely confused about Brinn...she votes for herself, yet says she would prefer not to be lynched...

argh...

Edit: crossed with Brinn...exactly.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #210
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Brinn, I really hope you don't actually mean that vote...

Edit: X'ed with Boro.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #211
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
So...don't know where anyone is...and umm completely confused about Brinn...she votes for herself, yet says she would prefer not to be lynched...
You didn't think I was actually being serious, did you? Well you see, I've never used a retractable either (at least not that I can remember), so I figured toDay was the Day to try something new (and fun).

--Brinn

EDIT: X-ed with Shasta
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #212
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

++alonariel

autume's list looks a little rushed, but some of it looks innocent at the moment. Like...

Quote:
Since I wasn't giving a lot of input today, I'm not comfortable voting for someone else who wasn't putting in a lot of input as that would be hypocritical.
I feel no issue in being hypocritical, but each to their own.

And alonariel because...well she told me why she backed off, but it's still sneaky, not wanting to give me more reason to defend myself?

Edit: crossed with Brinn and Shasta...sometimes Brinn I seek my own lynch to get away even if I'm innocent
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #213
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
I'm not quite sure if I should vote for someone who has not been participating all that much, or if I should go with who I think I suspect of evil-doing. Or at least, evil-assisting.

I still can't shake the feeling that Mac might be something other than innocent, and sadly can't put very eloquently into words why I feel like that. It's a hunch at this point. His heated fighting with Boro made me think for a moment than one was good, one was evil, but I can't say for sure who's on which side right now. Another possibility is that they were fighting each other to cast suspicion off of themselves as being fellow librarians.

This theory makes sense further when Boro accused me of sided with Mac one too many times, which, I admit, was fishy, but purely coincidence. It's already worked to persuade Hakon to vote for me. Boro seems like a very theatrical player, and I'm seeing it work to his advantage. And then we have Form, who moderated the fight between Mac and Boro very skillfully. I'm not quite sure where he falls, either.

Then there's the people who haven't posted a lot. I'm not going to list them or even those I believe to be wholly innocent, but for toDay, I'm going to be basing my vote on my strongest of feelings, and give the infrequent posters the benefit of the doubt for now.

So, after a long winded post:

++Boro
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #214
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Anyway, I'd like to vote for Nessa as she seems most suspicious of all the options, but I'm waiting to see who my competition is.

EDIT: X-ed since my last post
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #215
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Scary thing to do so close to DL, Brinn.

++Boro

Vote Count

Nessa - Brinn (Brinn1)
Hakon - Alonariel (Brinn1, Alonariel1)
Mac - Boro (Brinn1, Alonariel1, Boro1)
Nienna - Autume (Brinn1, Alonariel1, Boro1, Autume1)
Fea - Nessa (Brinn1, Alonariel1, Boro1, Autume1, Nessa1)
Form - Brinn (Brinn2, Alonariel1, Boro1, Autume1, Nessa1)
Brinn - Brinn (Brinn3, Alonariel1, Boro1, Autume1, Nessa1)
Brinn - --Brinn (Brinn2, Alonariel1, Boro1, Autume1, Nessa1)
Boro - Alonariel (Brinn2, Alonariel2, Boro1, Autume1, Nessa1)
Alonariel - Boro (Brinn2, Alonariel2, Boro2, Autume1, Nessa1)
Shasta - Boro (Brinn2, Alonariel1, Boro3, Autume1, Nessa1)

Edit: X'ed with Boro, Alonariel, and Brinn, and updated the votes.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #216
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

--Alonariel

++Brinn
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #217
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I don't know if I want to see Boro go just yet. I feel pretty neutral about him now and would hate to see him lynched if innocent:

++alonariel
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #218
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Dang Boro, I try to save you and look what you do.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #219
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
No more talking for the Day. Please delete any posts made after this one.

Death will be up soon, Lari and I just have to tally and double check the votes.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #220
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boro is dead. It was a tie between him and Brinn in the end. Brinn was assigned to even numbers, Boro to odd. Our impartial friend picked 17, meaning Boro died. He was a wolf. Narration will be up at some point tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #221
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boro stood in the kitchen of the school diligently washing the bowl he had made his mac and cheese in shortly before. He had not been a fan of the buffet-style food provided for him by his hosts and had disappeared into the kitchen in search of the Jello shots Mira had mentioned earlier. While going through the cupboards, he found a box of his favorite meal, Kraft macaroni and cheese - specifically The Cheesiest.

Meanwhile, in the auditorium, debates were raging about who should be lynched that Day. Well, it was less like "raging" and more like "a few people speaking up while others sat in the corner not contributing or were nowhere to be found."

"What about Alona?" Hakon asked, saying he was suspicious but failing to elaborate as to why.

"Yeah, she looks good enough to vote for!" Brinn added after jokingly voting for herself and retracting.

"No no," Mac chimed in, "Boro looks much suspicious!"

"Yeah!" Shasta agreed. "Let's get Boro!"

"I think Brinn is the better choice," Form added.

"But what about Nessa?" Fea asked. "She voted for Brinn in her second post of the Day with no real case against her!"But no one listened to poor Fea. Or Nienna, for that matter, who threw her two cents behind Autume.

"It's between Brinn and me then," Boro decreed as he cast the tying vote. "What do we do now?"

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the disembodied voice of sally boomed out of the ceiling. "I decide Boro should die. That way we can be together foreeever!" With a cackle, she was gone.

The others cast sketched-out glances at each other before shrugging.

"Okay then. It's decided." Alona grabbed the samurai sword that Boro had brought with him to the reunion for the purpose of showing off and led the march to the kitchen.

Boro hummed merrily to himself something to the tune of "Oh I love mac and cheese, yes I do, I love mac and cheese, how 'bout you?" as he washed his dish. He turned at the sound of the door opening, and opened his mouth in greeting when he was run through with his own sword.

"What..." the question died on his lips as he slid to the ground. While his blood continued to stain the ceramic tiles beneath him, his true identity was revealed. Boro was a wolf. And now he was dead. The village had found two of the were-librarians.

The Living:
Fea, Freshman comp professor/slave
Hakon
Autume98, Computer geek who keeps to herself and no one really knows
Nerwen, Ex-cheerleader with a job that sounds horribly more glamorous than it is
Nessa Telrunya
Nienna, Artsy kid that couldn't be dragged out of the art room so she stayed there
Mac, Shy kid
Shasta, Rebel with nothing to rebel against but still looks cool
Formendacil, Eater of Kraft dinners while getting his Doctorate in Inane Uselessness
Alonariel, Nurse who never sleeps
Brinn, the goth kid everyone is afraid of

The Dead:
Lari, crushed by books~ Moddess
Mira, impaled by a v-cart~ Co-Moddess
Sally, tried to defy gravity and succeed by being hanged~ Were-Librarian
Wilwa, beaten with scanners~ Ordo
Boro, impaled with his own sword~ Were-Librarian

Night 3 has begun.

Last edited by Mirandir; 08-06-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: fixed bolding
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #222
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Form, after the debacle of voting, but the joy of getting another were-Librarian, decided to join the Mac and Cheese fest. Making his way to the kitchens to get the things needed to make said delight, Form turned a corner and found himself not where he should be, but in a library.

“Well this sucks,” he said. Turning around he noticed he was not near the books, but rather near the copier. It was glowing. Intrigued, Form decided to chance a look at it. What was one were-Librarian? He could take it.

Moving closer he saw there was a paper on it. Again, curious, he picked it up and turned it over. It said “You’re next”.

His head was slammed down on to the copier, repeatedly going through the glass on the top. His body gave a last twitch as the copier produced his face, getting smashed into the machine.

“Oh, those are a good way to show what I’ve done.” The last were-Librarian commented.

Hakon was the first to enter the room that the bodies had been piling up in. But Sally and Wilwa’s bodies had been removed. Sadly, not had the copies of Form’s death. Plastered all over the walls were copies of him dying, a kind of death mask coating the whole room.

Fea was the next to enter. “You know, if it wasn’t for the tragedy, this would actually look kind of cool.”

“I agree,” said Nienna, the artists in both of them liking the way the pictures were hung. “But its also horrible.”

“We should really find out who the last one is,” Brinn commented as she saw what was there. Alona and Nessa nodded in agreement.

“We should also take these down,” Mac suggested, moving to take them off the wall with the help of Shasta. Nerwen and Autume began to take them down from the other side, both slightly terrified of what was going on.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Form’s sweetheart shed a tear for her lost love. But, she knew that vengeance was not entirely the answer. Though she hated the were-Librarian with a fiery passion, she decided instead to Google the histories of two of her fellow classmates and find out everything about them.

The Living:
Fea, Freshman comp professor/slave
Hakon
Autume98, Computer geek who keeps to herself and no one really knows
Nerwen, Ex-cheerleader with a job that sounds horribly more glamorous than it is
Nessa Telrunya
Nienna, Artsy kid that couldn't be dragged out of the art room so she stayed there
Mac, Shy kid
Shasta, Rebel with nothing to rebel against but still looks cool
Alonariel, Nurse who never sleeps
Brinn, the goth kid everyone is afraid of

The Dead:
Lari, crushed by books~ Moddess
Mira, impaled by a v-cart~ Co-Moddess
Sally, tried to defy gravity and succeed by being hanged~ Were-Librarian
Wilwa, beaten with scanners~ Ordo
Boro, impaled with his own sword~ Were-Librarian
Formendacil, beaten into a copier~ Lover

Day 3.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #223
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
What? No posts yet?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #224
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Well, there's one.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #225
alonariel
Wight

Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
I've been on, but admittedly too timid to begin the post of a new day.

Raise your hand if you knew Form was one of the lovers?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #226
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
I've been on, but admittedly too timid to begin the post of a new day.

Raise your hand if you knew Form was one of the lovers?
No. I wonder if the wolf did. These aren't the usual lovers– I'd say the wolf would have wanted to avoid killing Form, since his better half now gets to be Seer- for-a-day.

By the way– it seems Boro and Sally were trying to impersonate the Lovers on Day One.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #227
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
No. I wonder if the wolf did. These aren't the usual lovers– I'd say the wolf would have wanted to avoid killing Form, since his better half now gets to be Seer- for-a-day.

By the way– it seems Boro and Sally were trying to impersonate the Lovers on Day One.
Perhaps, but as there are still quite a few players on the board, it will make it harder for the Lover-turned-Seer to narrow down their two choices. Either way, our classmates are down another good guy now.

In hindsight, that's exactly what I thought as well. What worries me now, however, is Brinn's attempt to save Boro by voting for me on Day 2. Was she gullible and truly didn't believe he was evil? Or was she trying to sacrifice herself to save a wolf - in which case, she may possibly be the Snitch.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #228
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Or was she trying to sacrifice herself to save a wolf - in which case, she may possibly be the Snitch.
Quite likely... look at her dialogue with Boro near the DL.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #229
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

I missed most of the drama yesterDay– all I can say is I'm surprised Boro wasn't unanimously lynched after his little "Hakon, tell the class why you think Mac is the Ranger" stunt. But then, I'm surprised he made a mistake like that in the first place.

EDT:fixed typo that gave the opposite meaning to what I intended.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-07-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #230
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
I missed most of the drama yesterDay– all I can say is I'm surprised Boro was unanimously lynched after his little "Hakon, tell the class why you think Mac is the Ranger" stunt. But then, I'm surprised he made a mistake like that in the first place.
It seems that two out of the three librarians in this game have been playing themselves as wolves almost too obvious to even be thought as wolves. It makes me wonder - though, not hope - if the third wolf will keep a lower profile than his/her other two, deceased counterparts. S/he is quite outnumbered at this point.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #231
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
I missed most of the drama yesterDay– all I can say is I'm surprised Boro was unanimously lynched after his little "Hakon, tell the class why you think Mac is the Ranger" stunt. But then, I'm surprised he made a mistake like that in the first place.
Nerwen, does it surprise you he was lynched even after he was revealed to be a wolf?

Last edited by alonariel; 08-07-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: X'd with Nerwen
alonariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #232
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Nerwen, does it surprise you he was lynched even after he was revealed to be a wolf?
Sorry, that's a typo. I meant to write "I'm surprised Boro wasn't unanimously lynched."

Better fix that.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #233
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Well, since there's only one librarian left, at least we may be able to figure out a pattern to the Night killings. When there are three wolves, it's almost impossible, but a lone baddie would have been trying to save themselves since they're so outnumbered now.

So who would want Form dead?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #234
autume98
Shade of Carn Dûm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
Here's a list of all the posts that Form made on Days 1 and 2. I wasn't sure what to include and what not to include. Hopefully this will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Fea, Fea--that's just mean! Using the Internet against me, and before I've even had a chance to shower after a weekend-long camping trip! And while reading up on (an admittedly shortish) Day 1 at that! For shame!

I shall not, however, hold it against you... since it's my own fault I'm not, probably, invisible yet...

I shall go see to that...
Quote:
Not to pre-empt Mac's ability to answer the query, which was his to answer, after all, but speaking from my own Day 1 position (which everyone will remember, if they played "back in high school," is based on the fundamental assertion that Day 1 is useless until after the fact), what Mac says makes sense.

On Day 1 there is no trend to anyone's silence, for the very reason that there's no trend to anything. Lists are useless enough to begin with on Day 1 (a point brought up by Mac which I must appreciate... even though he goes on to list the list-makers. However, if one is to go so far as to list people, it makes no sense to list the silent ones toDay, since there's more nothing to list about them than about the people who HAVE been talking.

I need a shower and I fear I'm getting my sister's cold from camping, but I'm here, and, I must confess, I'm still not seeing anything in Day 1 to point to criminal guilt other than the wildest of readings-into.
Quote:
Hakon's tag-along vote for Sally, coming right after Nienna's for the same, looks opportunist in the same way Boro thinks Sally's tag-along vote for Nerwen appears that way. Of the two, I'm inclined to chasten Sally more for this, both because it's earlier and I've come to expect more originality from her--Hakon is still an unknown to me, so I can't comment. Of course, it is still Day 1... but that's a card even I shouldn't overplay.
This is a reply to Boro's question to Mac about how leaving non-posters out of list making speaks in their favor.
Quote:
Now... I've sat out a lot of these games since I was a carefree pre-university student, and I've not read most of the ones I've missed, so there's a lot of WW-culture current that I'm not up with--but one thing I have picked up on is that Nienna has something of an unreasonable penchant for being unreasonably lynched on Days 1. Which means that, coupled with Mac's almost immediate reply to Nienna's post--a Day-ending post, suggesting she won't be back before the end of the Day to defend herself--I am really not liking Mac's quoted post. It's a little too easy. He sees a couple bandwaggons, says he doesn't like them, and then expresses this by starting--potentially--one of the easiest Day 1 bandwaggons there is?

I'd rather vote for a Sally-- or Nerwen--waggon at this point, than jump on that.
Quote:
Oh dear--my abject apologies on that matter. I can't seem to find a post by you to that effect at all... nor can I seem to find it by anyone else, though I have yet just enough faith in my earlier self to assume I wasn't making it up. This is a trifle embarrassing, but as I've had rather a heady weekend, I hope it won't prove trend-setting.

Bother...

*goes to see if he can find whatever post he attributed to Boro*
Quote:
I was really quite hoping for someone to slip and declare their wolvery, or maybe for the wisdom of Solomon to cleave someone's fact from their fiction, or barring all that, maybe a good, old-fashioned, divine revelation...

But no. I'm getting steadily sicker and more confuséd.

Nerwen's protests have me chivalrously afraid to vote her. Sally's bandwaggon is admittedly weak--I agree full about her point re: Hakon, and I've already said I don't get Mac's Nienna vote.

Where does this leave me?

I dunno... the only real discord clear to me is Hakon's vote, which could be newblerie as easier as wolvery.

But you work with what you've got...

++ Hakon
Quote:
Well, said Form, I'm back...

Which is to say that I've read over the thread, with greater detail here, less detail there. Unfortunately, as usual, I'm not having wolves leap out of the shadows and declare themselves--which is a crying shame, since that means I can look forward to the tedious task of trying to sort things out the old-fashioned way.

On the very recent (relative to the rest of the day) note that Mac could be a Gifted/Wolf and Boro would be stupendously foolish to point out the former if that's the case... I haven't got any good reasons for thinking it at the moment, but as far as all that goes, my gut is on the side of Boromir and says that Mac could be a WW. The point was raised earlier that I might be a late-coming wolf voting Hakon in the hopes of saving Sally--I'm not, but I'm not so young at this as to think you'll take my word for it. The point has also already been made, I think, that Mac could have been doing the same thing with his Nienna vote. Oddly, perhaps, that line of reasoning doesn't especially bother me--if, indeed, it's true (as we cannot tell till the post-game) what Mac says about not knowing Nienna's Day 1 Death-Penchant. Perhaps this is just me and the skewed perspective of having visited said Downer.

However... even if Mac didn't seem guilty on the start-a-different-bandwaggon note, he does seem extra jumpy about Boro at the moment, and as I don't really know what to make of that, I'm inclined to ascribe it to Wolvery.

More anon...
Quote:
Well, I'll do my best--expecting, of course, that even if it satisfies you, Boro, it'll give someone else cause for complaint. Anyway, it is part confusion--but not because I came in late in the Day. I did, of course, but I had hours enough to catch myself up to the action--just. I could argue, all the same, that it was post-Long Weekend exhaustion, mixed with the brain-buzzing beginnings of a head cold, but while that undoubtedly didn't contribute anything useful, it'd be unsporting to give my physical state late in Day 1 much leverage.

(Although... I still have the cold today, and absolutely puttered my way through work in a sitting standstill, so if you want to feel sorry for me, now's the day to do it--the cold's worse--but fuzzy though the edges of my skull are, I still think I can reason and gut-instinct with my usual catastrophe.)

Anyway, what was basically going through my mind yesterDay was what I told Mac about his vote for Nienna: I really didn't like it, for the simple reason that it came, more or less to my eyes, out of nowhere, and--given the knowledge stowed away in some back compartment of my mind about Nienna being the new Saucepan Person for an abnormally high Day 1 deathrate, it seemed--if any vote on Day 1 can seem so--like a potentially malicious vote. More obviously so that than the whole morass of Nerwen and Sally

You also have to remember, Boro that yesterday was a Day 1. I may have decided that Mac's vote for Nienna was wrong, but that's hardly enough of a reason right there to jump on a Sally or Nerwen bandwaggon. Who to vote for then? Well, the usual Day 1 conditions held, and I went for someone who wasn't objectively all that suspicious, but had just touched my instincts the wrong way, so felt more appropriate than a jump-on bandwaggon vote. Call me timid, but I don't like casting potentially decisive votes on Day 1. Given that I don't feel there are generally any good reasons to think someone's guilty on Day 1, it simply puts way too much emphasis on a vote I'd rather not make. If we'd have gone by mere alarm-setting off, I'd have voted Mac, but I'm still good enough at second-guessing myself to say that that would have been the usual Day 1-jumping-at-shadows.
Quote:
Although my gut's still on Boro's side here, you do bring up an interesting point--I'd completely forgotten about the Cobbler. That would, certainly, put a whole different dimension on yesterday's events. The thought occurred to me, reading over yesterday's posts, that the whole Boro and Sally smooch-fest might have been one or the other's attempt to play at the Lovers--I did not think it likely that both would have done that, but in the same way a genuine Boro-Innocent would impersonate a seer to protect the seer, I could see a Boro-Cobbler impersonating a Lover to confuse the seer--and I could see Sally having played along with with it either way.

But I'm still not sold on it. Boromir's reasoning makes sense to me, and, anyway, I'm not sure why he would have picked Sally. If, as a Cobbler, he thought her innocent, then he's giving shelter to an Innocent--which makes no sense. If he thought her a wolf, it certainly would certainly give her protection, if the seer bought it--but would the seer buy it? And what reason would Boro-Cobbler have for thinking Sally a wolf at that stage in the game?

Yeah... not sold on it...

And Brinn has earned a vote. That's... actually not a bad case, prima facie, but I don't know if I like it yet. Nessa seems to be one of those players that stays comfortably below the surface--or, in other words, I can't read her.
Quote:
If I may play conciliator, Mac need not have meant "what Boro himself would do as a Cobbler" so much as "what a cobbler, who might be Boro might do as a Cobbler"--which is quite another thing entirely. Of course, especially as I'm reading this into the single quote snippet in Boro's last post, if, in fact, Mac is imputing that he can delve into Boro's very psyche and retrieve the secrets of his probable actions--then, by all means, continue to pursue this course of argument. If nothing else, the defences Boro mounts and the attacks Mac offers should afford the rest of us the chance to pick out more of a vibe on both you.
Quote:
Ermm... occasionally, yes... but so often on the order of a red herring or a complete accident that it'd be foolish at best, in my opinion, to base an argument on it. The same goes for locations and signatures.

Of course, after the game these things can be the most blatant of referents back, but in-game I've never seen them indicative.

Caveat: I could be horribly wrong. 'tis possible...
Quote:
Now... I'm torn... I don't claim to have an instinctual feel of how Boro plays, but him being noisy, excited, and too touchy is, I think, typical enough that none of the alarms are going off.

But...

But...

He's really taking this "mac and cheese" thing to heart. And I can't decide if it's an Innocent that's revelling in post-Kentian* ability to give us silly pictures of himself... or if he's a wild-eyed cobbler revelling in his tailor-made role... or a wolf that's trying too hard.

I don't lean towards the last, and the other two are indistinguishable, half the time, until the endgame or postgame. And while I agree with Mac that we should bag a Cobbler if we can, and call it a victory, I still think there's hope of catching the real thing.

To this end, I'm especially thinking of Brinn, chiefly for the reasons Nessa gave in voting her, and I'm not averse at the moment to doing the same. If anyone has a reason not to, now's the time to talk me out of it.

*To the unaware newer members... it's a long story. The synopsis is that Boro has not shared pictures online for most of his several year BD membership.
Quote:
I understand this... the mac and cheese thing was purely a slip of the fingers, completely and utterly unrelated to the game. It's just the energy of the matter that has me thinking.

Your point, about actively flushing out the wolves is well taken. I have no issue with the point, from a purely philosophical standpoint. The thing is, though, I'm also a philosopher enough to admit to myself that I can't tell any difference between a worked up Boromir who's innocent, and a lupine Boromir who might be leading us down the garden path.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're a wolf, and since I do incline to think Brinn is a wolf, you're not likely to get my vote today... and depending how the vote goes, who dies tonight, etc, etc, we'll see how the longterm views you.

The fact that you're so irritated Mac can't agree with you on this point amuses me to no end, and somewhat raises your stocks in my mind. It is, as I see it, almost exactly like myself and Nogrod when we happen to play together. If we're both innocent, we'll destroy each other by Day 3 because we think exactly the opposite in terms of strategy and philosophy about this game. In other words... good luck with converting him!

Anyway, although I'm easy enough to lure into these theory-of-the-game arguments, I think (remembering Nogrod...), we may be arguing ourselves away from the wolves at this point. I don't think Mac is a wolf, and I don't think Boro is a wolf. I guess this means I ought to move on to someone I DO think is a wolf.
Quote:
Brinn did say on the Admin thread that she preferred if the game didn't start until tomorrow (Thursday), the implication being that she was not going to be around much before then, but since she's playing anyway, I assume she isn't completely absent. In any case, it is never fair to discount a wolf on the basis of quietness. One or two of us have been indicted over the years on account of getting unusually giddy and posting too much, but Brinn, at least, has carried off the quiet, unassuming, lupine killer role before, if my memory serves.

And, really, the way this game is going, I think I'm finding myself exonerating mentally everyone in proportion to how much they're talking. It's not that Boro and Mac are innocent... but there's so much more reason I can grapple with to convince me they might be. Autume, to reflect the other side of the coin, is a big, black, question mark.

EDIT: x-ed with Brinn.
Quote:
Is anyone else somewhat spooked by Brinn's flippant response to her somewhat-threatened lynching?

I realise I tend to base my judgements of people's roles in this game entirely too much on my read of their character--which means the newer the player, the more out to lunch I can be--but this seems ridiculously out of character for Brinn--or an innocent Brinn anyway.

An innocent Brinn, I'm thinking, would be royally ticked off at us for planning to kill her RIGHT before she can get more involved in the game (Brinn is a WW fiend, last I checked). So why is she so casual?

Because Brinn is an old hand at this, and won't make the same mistake Sally did. She won't overreact, go into hysterics, and try to argue her way out, beyond the brief acknowledgement that:

Which, if you ask me, is probably the sneakiest way to deflect the questions: don't focus on them, acknowledge them, and pretend they're minor.

It's all just a little too smooth for me... Rather than allaying my fears, as I expected a defensive Brinn to do when she finally got a chance to come online, this Brinn is cheerfully ready to go to the gallows, if that's what we decide.

Funnily, though, no mention of how it's not going to help the village any if we're down an innocent...
Quote:
Given that I didn't really reply in depth to either Fea or Nerwen, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Granted, that was also a bit of a throwaway line, tacked on because it occurred to me at the last moment, and agreed with the general tack of the post as it was already being composed--but hardly a serious argument in its own right.

It is, of course, quite ridiculously obvious. Maybe it's just the sense I get from Brinn--which is what I was trying to emphasize--a sense of slightly forced "the devil may care." Brinn's actions would have seemed normal to me, early in the day, when things can go one way or another, but we're into the homestretch now, and it just seems like she's trying too hard to blow us off the scent.
Quote:
Funnily enough, Brinn's explanation for flippancy almost convinces me... but not quite. Or, rather, barring Brinn I haven't got any wolf-candidates, and while I approve of culling the silent, I can't quite justify it when there is the possibility of a real wolf.

I'd intended to stick around longer--like yesterDay--but that wrought havoc with my cold last time I did that, and I have two days yet to work this week... best not to risk it.

++ Brinniel
Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #235
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thanks for getting those together, Tum, that saves a lot of trouble.

My conclusion, is that, were last Night's kill to be a revenge, it would point to either Hakon or Brinn. But that would be too obvious, both of them are smarter than to do something that blatantly points to them.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #236
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Boro and Form dead... that means a lot of analysing work toDay. I'm happy that both were quite occupied with me yesterDay. Since I know what I am, I can skip all that.

I still wonder about the wilwa-kill. Since Boro pulled two tricks to flush out gifteds, the librarians are very aware how dangerous those are. But why did they think wilwa could be gifted? Maybe they're applying more than one strategy at a time...

I wouldn't be surprised if they killed Form because the snitch gave them the name.

Let's analyse Boro and Form then:

Day1:

Quote:
Plus his observation about the Nerwen votes, that seems an odd choice...Nerwen?
The openness of this statement, encouraging Nerwen's voters (Sally among them) to elaborate instead of dissuading people, gives me even more confidence in Nerwen's innocence.

Boro votes autume. Now, this could easily be lib-on-lib, however, coupled with the wilwa-kill - maybe the objective was simply not to kill the snitch? I do feel moderately better about autume now. I'm not sure what to think of Boro's "Why do you think autume is guilty then?" on Day2.

Form mainly pursues Hakon and defends Nienna on Day1.

Day2:

Boro is friendly with Fea throughout, suggesting to me that he's trying to win her unexpected trust, but I'm not sure.

He said Nienna looks most innocent, but he couldn't have otherwise - it was obvious. He's worried about Form's vote for Hakon, could be both an attempt to make Form look bad and one to defend Hakon.

#168 has to be treated with care, since Boro was already under pressure and made this post to appear helpful. Nerwen, Shasta and Nienna are innocent to him, but the reasons are so obvious that this doesn't change anything. He feels ok about Hakon, but is still watching him (keeping him innocent yet in nowhere-land makes me slightly suspicious). Autume and Brinn are getting a pass for not being there (watchworthy). He tries to set up alonariel as a scapegoat, which makes her look innocent.

He then picks up a point of Hakon against Form, making Hakon look worse.

The exchange between Boro and Brinn looks to me like Boro is trying to figure out whether Brinn is the snitch.

Form is almost totally immersed in the Boro-Mac thing at first, then strongly goes after Brinniel.

I daresay that Brinniel is one of the two the remaining lover will surely dream of, and I think it's a good choice.

Now, the votes:

Nessa -> Brinn (no reason to suspect)
Hakon -> Alona (very suspicious since it's after Boro brought her up as a scapegoat, then again, it's before any votes for Boro)
Mac -> Boro
Nienna -> autume (no reason to suspect)
Fea -> Nessa (not sure what to think)
Form -> Brinn
Brinn -> Brinn (peculiar)
Boro -> Alona
Alona -> Boro (makes her look very innocent)
Shasta -> Boro (same)
Boro --Alona -> Brinn
Brinn --Brinn -> Alona (suspicious, of course)

Bottom line:

Suspicious (in order):

Hakon (see above)
Brinn (I don't think she's a librarian, because if she were, I'm sure the plan to save Boro would have worked. She's a top snitch candidate, though. Form would be Brinn's natural choice to make the librarians dream of.)
Autume (some evidence looks suspicious, some innocent)
Fea (I've been wondering why she's been so friendly with Boro, but that's all I have against her)
Nessa (simply because nothing exonerates her)

Innocent (without order):

Nerwen
Nienna
Shasta
Alona
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #237
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
This group contains the last Librarian and the Snitch. I'm quite sure of it.

Alona
Autume
Brinn
Hakon
Nessa
Shasta

I don't think Alona is the wolf, and if Nessa or Hakon are, they really don't deserve to win because they've both posted less than the mod.

I have a hunch who the Evil Two are, but it's purely a hunch, so I don't want to say it and end up with people jumping down my throat for blithe commentary like Nerwen did yesterDay.

Time for breakfast, and must write an essay before I go anywhere or do anything else.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #238
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
My conclusion, is that, were last Night's kill to be a revenge, it would point to either Hakon or Brinn. But that would be too obvious, both of them are smarter than to do something that blatantly points to them.
It won't be revenge; however, he might have been killed as a suspected Seer– that's one of the standard reasons wolves kill people.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #239
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
It won't be revenge; however, he might have been killed as a suspected Seer– that's one of the standard reasons wolves kill people.
In which case his last posts point to Brinn.

But here's the problem with this: the last wolf doesn't usually want to kill a seer that has pointed them out as evil, because then that wolf has to contend with a village hell bent on lynching them on the posthumous orders of the dead!Seer.

So if the wolf killed Form on suspected Seer business, my hunch would be that Brinn is the Snitch and the wolf wanted to nail the Seer prior to being dreamed of.

This is a hunch, though. I'm not at all certain.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #240
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, since I believe the best way to go about this is to honestly tell what I think of everyone. That way, gifteds and librarian and ordos alike will know where they stand with me.

I know listers were practically dissected earlier, but I'd really rather everyone know what I'm thinking.

Fea, surprisingly doesn't look suspicious. She clearly stated earlier that even as a regular villager, she was too helpful to the wolves because of her semi-permanent status as a scapegoat. (Now that I think about it, I wonder why everyone is always suspecting her?)

Hakon I'm iffy about. Boro somehow managed to side with him, yet not at the same time, which makes me wonder if it's wolf-innocent or wolf-wolf going on there.

Tum always seems to suceed in giving necessary information for a debate, then stepping back to watch the fight. Maybe she's too nervous that giving an opinion might put the spotlight on her, or maybe it's not as innocent. I, for one, am more inclined to believe the former.

Nerwen I am almost entirely sure is innocent. On Day 1, Boro subtly encouraged people to vote her instead of sally. One librarian turning the vote from one of his fellows to the other? Unlikely.

Nienna. Has she said anything guilty? I don't hear any sirens when she does anything.

Mac's head to head with Boro probably speaks louder than anything I could say. It wasn't wolfish on his part, mainly for the reason that his posts spotlighted Boro and lead to his death, in my opinion. Smart, if he's innocent, and stupid if he's a wolf. I don't think he's stupid.

Shasta's vote killed Boro. Easy enough to interpret.

alona also voted Boro, who was trying to frame her at the time. Would a librarian really do that?

Brinn I believe to either be a snitch or librarian. Voting herself yesterDay makes me think the former rather than later, but her performance right before deadline was sketchy.

Nessa: Obviously innocent

edit:crossed since Mac