The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Admin Thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIX: Were-Librarians

Welcome to the tenth reunion of the Barrow Downs High School!

Thank you, everyone, for showing up and, as the co-voted coordinator of this fun function it has been my job to do some research on our class. For notable things we did, as a class, the only thing that I could remember or find from interviewing some of you has been our fond name for the school librarians. Yes, I’m talking about our very own Were-Librarians. I couldn’t find out who exactly came up with the name, it might have been the ever-popular Sally or the recluse Fea but we were all using it in no time. For who could forget how they hated anyone in their library or how they always traveled in a pack ready to snatch up a lose book or catch a student eating or talking or even breathing loudly! Who else is glad that they are no longer there? Though, they always seemed to know where we were, we were convinced that one of us was a snitch.

As for the class as a whole, there were two of you who we thought would get married and have kids by now, our high school sweethearts. From what I hear didn’t work out so well but you are still close friends. There was the star football player who also stood up for the little guy. The aspiring school newspaper reporter who could find out anything about anyone with no help at all. But we also had a black sheep of sorts, the snitch who always told about any wrong doings in the library.

Now lets have a good reunion and remember all the good times!

Roles:

Good players:

School reporter (Seer): You could find out anything about anyone who had wanted with a little bit of research. Every Night the seer will send a pick of a player to dream of and they will receive the players role. If the Seer dreams of the Ranger or the Hunter they may choose to send me or Mira a message saying that they would like the Hunter or Ranger to know that the seer is the seer and the previous dreams with the roles. If the Seer has also already dreamed of one of them and feels that they may die in the Night they can choose to send the dream to that person as opposed to receiving the role himself or herself.

Star football player (Ranger): He was the big man on campus but he always stood up for the little guy. He was never mean to anyone and always pulled his teammates off of who ever they were picking on. He picks a player each night that he will protect. He can protect the same person two nights in a row, and can protect himself two nights in a row as well.

High School Sweethearts (Lovers): These two were inseparable. Everyone thought they would get married either right after high school or right after college. Sadly they drifted apart but are still close friends. These two know who their lover is and can communicate with them during the Day. If one of them is killed by a wolf then they get a revenge kill but it has to be used the next Day. The lone lover may also give this up to learn the role of two of their fellow players as well.

Bad players:

Were-Librarians: Three of the were-librarians have posed three of your classmates. All those rumors of them doing magic were true after all. These three may communicate during the Night phase.

The Snitch (Cobbler): It is his job to help the were-librarians win. Every other Night the snitch may choose a player to send to the were-librarians so they can learn that player’s role. If the Seer dreams of the Snitch the result will say Snitch.

House keeping items:

Day shall begin at 1 AM Eastern time, 10 PM Pacific. Days shall be 24 hours. Voting is to look like this:

++Lari

And will not be counted unless bolded. Votes after Day has ended will not count. In the event of a tie, I shall pick a number, and Mira, my co-mod, shall assign numbers to the two players in a tie and the one with the closest number to the one I pick shall be lynched. Retractable votes should look like this:

--Lari

++Mira

And maybe used three times by each player.

I will invoke the right to mod-fire players who haven't voted for two Days in a row, unless they have posted to the admin thread about why.

Depending on the number of players I might add a Hunter role, but at the moment I'm not sure if there will be enough players.

Day 1 shall go something like this: For the first half of the Day I would like it to be banter to get it out of everyone's systems. Make jokes, play around, do as you will. Half way through the Day I shall post a note saying that the official speculation should begin as well as voting. However, if there is a problem and time restrictions you may vote before my post. I would like it to wait but I fully understand busy schedules and last minute emergencies.

Thanks to everyone who helped inspire this and Sally's game from where the whole idea of Were-Librarians came from.

You may pick your current profession if you so chose.

Sign-ups (which I will keep open for about a week):

Sally
, Awkward Theater kid
Fea, Freshman comp professor/slave
Hakon
Boro, Nervous student teacher
Autume98, Computer geek who keeps to herself and no one really knows
Nerwen, Ex-cheerleader with a job that sounds horribly more glamorous than it is
Nessa Telrunya
Wilwa
, Stay at home mom of 9
Nienna, Artsy kid that couldn't be dragged out of the art room so she stayed there
Mac, Shy kid
Shasta, Rebel with nothing to rebel against but still looks cool
Formendacil, Eater of Kraft dinners while getting his Doctorate in Inane Uselessness
Alonariel, Nurse who never sleeps
Brinn, the goth kid everyone is afraid of

Have fun!

Last edited by Lariren Shadow; 08-01-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*straightens glasses*

Hello, my name is Sally, the socially awkward theater kid, whose nose is always buried in some sort of book. (What do you mean, it can't be who we actually are? Harrumph!)

Aka SIGN ME UP!

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 07-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm in.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Whooooo and the first two to sign up are people we already told were playing whether they wanted to or not!

Have I mentioned how excited I am for this game?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Count me in. Although if my posts mirror anything like how I actually act in school then all of you will hate me very quickly. I am the most negative person you will ever meet. Anyway I am in for this game. Now this dead line sucks. One am eastern time is when I am usually asleep.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Count me in. Although if my posts mirror anything like how I actually act in school then all of you will hate me very quickly. I am the most negative person you will ever meet. Anyway I am in for this game. Now this dead line sucks. One am eastern time is when I am usually asleep.
I was trying to make it earlier, but, well, long story and it came to mine and Mira's work schedules not working with her being on the East Coast and my being on the West Coast.

And if I were anything like I was in high school...I would be the same, answering all the questions and making herself just like Hermione in every single way (am rereading the Harry Potter books at the moment).
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Now this dead line sucks. One am eastern time is when I am usually asleep.
Lari and I had many a conversation about this exact topic. This was the best we could come up with, being as how we are currently on opposite sides of the country. However, if enough people have serious issues with it, we can see what can be done to change it.

Last edited by Mirandir; 07-28-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: woooooo x-ed with Lari!
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What she also said.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
And if I were anything like I was in high school...I would be the same, answering all the questions and making herself just like Hermione in every single way (am rereading the Harry Potter books at the moment).
Oh what, you mean like you were in college? Specifically in History of England? Should we bring that up, dear?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

...Well that is what I'm going to grad school for. And yes, I know. I answer questions a lot. A lot a lot.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You two went to collage together? What happened in that class?

I am the person in school that is famous and popular but hated. I got my rise to fame off of insulting every teacher and student, as well as correcting teachers all the time. I guess I am like Hermione in the fact that I blurt out the answer under my breath. Although my math teacher said I reminded him of one of those child geniuses.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mira is still in college but yes. In fact, Nienna, Fea, and I all lived together this past year at said college, and Mira unofficially moved on to our couch to live with us as well.. Hence Were-Librarians because Nienna, Mira, and I were playing Sally's game at three different computers while we were "working" at the circulation desk that night.

As for that class, I answered most of the questions. Well, me and another friend. But it was mostly us. And me. And since I'm going to grad school for Early Modern English history it was only natural that I would know a lot.

I did the answer under my breath thing too.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
You two went to collage together? What happened in that class?
Ahem. Well. Not only did Lari and I go to college together, but Fea and Nienna did as well. Beyond that, we all lived together and worked at the same place). Yeah.

In History of England (which I was not actually in but heard plenty from our friends) our darling Lari would constantly answer questions, to the point where she was actually restricted to a certain number of questions per class by the aforementioned friends. Now she will attempt to tell you that she only answered when no one else was or she knew the answer or it related in some way (no matter how obscure) to the Tudors. Don't believe her.

Last edited by Mirandir; 07-28-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: oh sndiddlyap x-ed with Lari again :P
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Argh, why do all these great ideas keep coming up?

May I make a request for myself and maybe get a bit of practice in come Septmember? May I request to be the extremely nervous student teacher of this surely admirable class?

Late DL's are fine with me, seeing as it is nearing midnight and I will most likely be up for a while reading through such fine books like "US History: Reconstruction to the Present" and "Social Studies for Secondary Schools."
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
autume98
Shade of Carn Dûm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
This looks like a lot of fun. Please sign me up!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Argh, why do all these great ideas keep coming up?

May I make a request for myself and maybe get a bit of practice in come Septmember? May I request to be the extremely nervous student teacher of this surely admirable class?

Late DL's are fine with me, seeing as it is nearing midnight and I will most likely be up for a while reading through such fine books like "US History: Reconstruction to the Present" and "Social Studies for Secondary Schools."
As long as you remind me. And those books sound...well I should probably get the second one as I'm certified to teach that in New York If only because the student teaching I had was all US history...which is not my forte and maybe it will tell me how to teach it better and possibly who to do if I ever get an Econ class again.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yaaaaaaay more players!

I feel like I need Nerwen's pompoms for this job...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I still have them in my closet, ya know. I can dust them off if you wish.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in (when do I ever pass on a game?)
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #20
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Speak of the devil....

Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #21
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This seems like a brilliant game. I love the concept, Lari and Mira. If I would play I could.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #22
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Speak of the devil....

Hey!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #23
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
If you guys need another player, sign me up! =D
Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #24
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'm in! I totally need this right now, as long as we don't get started before Sunday though.

And I, the shy orchestra geek in highschool, have grown up to be......oh, Boro already stole teacher from me , now I have to think of something else.....I'll be the stay at home mom of 9.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #25
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What Mira and Lari haven't really mentioned is that for at least part of this game they are modding, they will be staying in the apartment now shared by me and Nienna. Good thing we've got wireless internet, or computer use would be a joke.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #26
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm in. I'd like to be the artsy kid who had to be dragged out of the art room.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm in! I'll be realistic with my profession: I'm the shy kid who doesn't talk to anyone.

Hmm, and those are some pretty powerful gifteds there....
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ooh, professions. I forgot about those. I'm sick of being a student, so we'll go with the long term goal: professor. I teach freshman comp.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
As long as you remind me. And those books sound...well I should probably get the second one as I'm certified to teach that in New York If only because the student teaching I had was all US history...which is not my forte and maybe it will tell me how to teach it better and possibly who to do if I ever get an Econ class again.
hehe, thanks. What a coincidence? As I just happen to have "Economics: Putting the Principles into action," too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
And I, the shy orchestra geek in highschool, have grown up to be......oh, Boro already stole teacher from me , now I have to think of something else
You stole whatever pirate role I first wanted, and was stuck as a nasty gunner swine. So now we're even.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I still have them in my closet, ya know. I can dust them off if you wish.
That would be good. Thanks, dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
This seems like a brilliant game. I love the concept, Lari and Mira. If I would play I could.
No, Steve, absolutely not. I can't believe you would even consider it. Juuuuuust kidding! My brain has taken a leave of absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I'm in! I totally need this right now, as long as we don't get started before Sunday though.
No worries, definitely won't start before Sunday. Probably sometime next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I'm in. I'd like to be the artsy kid who had to be dragged out of the art room.
Wow, go figure. Took you long enough to sign up, Nienna!

GASP! ISA BUBBLES! Mira is pleased.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

And YAY Nerwen and Nessa! We likes people.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #32
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sally gets to be the socially awkard theatre kid? WHAT?!

Okay, fine. I'll be the rebel with nothing to rebel against, but looks cool.

And those gifteds are very powerful... but the were-librarians do have the snitch.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Sally gets to be the socially awkard theatre kid? WHAT?!

First to the finish, my love.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Looks like a fun concept and a great line-up!

Sadly I'm going to have my hands more than full of RL things (a bunch of 'Downers on a visit, beginning of the semester, our choir's dance-production with seven live-shows...). So no werewolfing for me in about next three weeks or something.

But a lot of RL fun!
(not counting the starting of the work...)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #35
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
*definitely feels vindicated about predicting an awesome game next...*

Gah...

A 1:00 am EDT deadline is 11:00 pm here... which is entirely too workable... and a game that doesn't start until Monday or Tuesday doesn't interfere with my long weekend sans Internet... and if it actually starts thenish, it should be over or I'll be dead with time to spare ere the Fall resumes... and lots of cool 'Downers are playing...

le sigh...

Fine. I shall play too--provided the game starts no later than Thursday next week. If it does, I have to back out.

Let's see... ten years out of 'Downer High? I'm stuck in academia... eating Kraft Dinner out of soup cans trying to finish my Doctorate in Inane Uselessness.

P.S. This game also happens to have no Nog... I think I shall feel like a Lover without his other half...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #36
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is probably not the best joke but I will still go for it.

Formy, I can become your new other half for the time being. I am sure I can fill in for Nog. I hope I can. Again this is a bad joke.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
This is probably not the best joke but I will still go for it.

Formy, I can become your new other half for the time being. I am sure I can fill in for Nog. I hope I can. Again this is a bad joke.
You're much too kind.

As much as I appreciate your generous offer, perhaps it's best I don't accept. It would be nice to get through Day 1, at least, without having a nemesis. It'd be a novelty, anyway.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #38
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Formie, I saw that you were playing and my exact words were, "Formie? No. Way." They were followed by a small (because I'm so dern tired) squee.

(By the way, I loved the letter I got from you! I started a reply but promptly lost it, so you likely won't receive anything in response because I'm a lazy bum.)
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #39
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Again, today and tomorrow are why I have a co-mod who is amazing as life went "hahahaha you want to have internet fun? Have work!"

As it is looking right now, I'm thinking of maybe cutting sign ups at Friday, sending out roles on Saturday, and starting Sunday night maybe. I shall have to talk this over with people but I'm thinking that is what might happen as I would like to be here for close of the first Day(and not paying for internet in a stupid airport).

Thanks everyone for signing up so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm in! I'll be realistic with my profession: I'm the shy kid who doesn't talk to anyone.

Hmm, and those are some pretty powerful gifteds there....
Yes they are, but I also tried to counter that. And yay you're playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
hehe, thanks. What a coincidence? As I just happen to have "Economics: Putting the Principles into action," too.
I think that might have been helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
*definitely feels vindicated about predicting an awesome game next...*

Gah...

A 1:00 am EDT deadline is 11:00 pm here... which is entirely too workable... and a game that doesn't start until Monday or Tuesday doesn't interfere with my long weekend sans Internet... and if it actually starts thenish, it should be over or I'll be dead with time to spare ere the Fall resumes... and lots of cool 'Downers are playing...

le sigh...
Aw, I feel like that is a very nice compliment, about my game being awesome. And you are on the list, and don't worry about it possibly starting Sunday night, you will have all of Monday to work on it.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #40
autume98
Shade of Carn Dûm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
Could I be the computer geek who keeps to herself and nobody really knows?

Looks like it's going to be a GREAT game! Thanks for putting it up Lari and Mira.