The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Game Thread: Werewolf- this time it's real!

Place: Oxford, England
Time: April 10th, 9 PM

The Eagle and Child Pub had been cleared out early, with only four or five employees remaining behind to serve the party. An anonymous Downer had somehow managed to rent the place for that night and the following day. Most suspected Phantom, but he denied having anything to do with it.

Phantom stepped in out of the chilly drizzle and into the narrow entry hall. The fires that burned in the two empty rooms off to the left and right looked inviting, but the allure of comfort paled next to the excitement of meeting fellow Downers, and so he continued down the hall and into the larger room which housed the bar along the right wall. But this room was empty as well, except the man behind the counter.

"First one here?" asked Phantom. The man nodded.

Phantom tapped his foot impatiently. Soon, there would be food, drink, and much merriment. What would everyone look like in person? What would they sound like? More importantly, would the lovely young ladies give him their phone numbers?

Phantom shook his head and laughed. "Stop being silly," he said aloud. "Of course they'll give me their phone numbers."

Phantom made his way to a table, set down his backpack and removed his laptop. As it emerged his blue notebook fell out and flopped to the floor. He grinned as he picked it up, and began thumbing through the pages. "Ah, here's the time where Boro and Ang were both werewolves, and I circled both of them on the first day as my highest suspects... The Werepenguin game." He continued flipping through his Werewolf notes, pausing now and again to read something he was particularly proud of. And after so many games, there was much to read. He spent a particularly long time looking over a page towards the end, which contained rules to a new version of Werewolf he had invented, featuring an interesting system of bonus votes.

But even as he reviewed his accomplishments, a nervous feeling he'd been fighting for the past week began growing again. Phantom was exceedingly anxious about playing Werewolf in person, which was sure to happen at this World Barrow-Downs meeting. "It's so different than playing online. What if I suck? I probably will, and then no one will respect me any more." As thoughts such as these chased round and round in Phantom's mind, he resolved to weasel his way out of the games when they started up. "Maybe they'll let me Mod all the games. Yeah- that would work!"

But it was not yet time for games. The rest of the crowd had not arrived, and there was certain to be much socializing, sharing of YouTube videos, swapping of music, and eating that would take place even after everyone was present.

Phantom sat down and breathed deeply, calming his nerves. He then powered up his laptop and began skimming through old threads. "I wonder if anyone remembers this old Books thread, where I claimed to have found the Entwives." A smile spread across his face. "Boy, we've had some good times on the Downs. I can't wait to reminisce with everyone."

Barrow-Downers in attendance-
  • Aganzir
  • Alonariel
  • Boro
  • Brinniel
  • Fea
  • Firefoot
  • Formendacil
  • Green
  • Gwath
  • Izzy
  • Kent
  • Kuruharan
  • Lalwende
  • Lari
  • Lommy
  • Mira
  • Nerwen
  • Nienna
  • Nilp
  • Nogrod
  • Phantom
  • Sally
  • Shasta

IT IS NOW DAY -1. YOU MAY POST.

(Use imagination. What sort of things would you do? What conversations would you have? Have fun with this! )

Last edited by the phantom; 04-09-2009 at 01:47 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Kuruharan enters.

The crowd goes wild!!!!! Or at least if there had been a crowd it would have gone wild. As it was there was only a lone figure in a tux.

Kuruharan is a short...well, why don't I just send you a picture.

Kuruharan walked briskly over to the natty figure and said, "You must be phantom, the phantom. I'm Kuruharan the son of Khoreth at your service."

*cue elegant dwarf bow*

Seeing phantom's notes Kuru says, "Ahh...werewolf, I should have known. Nothing like that game for making one look like an idiot...or at least making me look like an idiot!"

(note how phantom hasn't been able to get a word in edgewise)

"Oh, let me show you what I was rereading on the flight over here." Kuru said possessing himself of the laptop.

"Its DM of the Rings. Closest I've ever come to literally dying laughing."

And before phantom can even say "hello", Kuru has begun reading, starting laughing uncontrollably, turned a bright shade of purple...and passed out on the floor.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 04-07-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: The crowd would have gone wilder than I originally had it...
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
The tall stranger strode wordlessly into the pub and took a long, slow, squinting look around. Mighty fancy for a saloon, he thought. Well, as long as they've got whiskey...He stepped up to the bar wordlessly, his spurs ringing as he moved, and tossed his broad-brimmed hat onto the counter, equally wordlessly. Beside it, he thumped down a coin of indeterminate value, and wordlessly ordered whiskey. This involved a great deal of squinting and glaring, but he eventually got his point across and downed a quarter of a bottle of the stuff.

"Thanks for the business, stranger," said the man behind the counter. "What did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't," replied the stranger, and, throwing his poncho back over his left shoulder, he sat himself down in a corner with the rest of the bottle. From that vantage point, he continued to survey the "saloon" and each of the newcomers as the entered, one by one. His shooting iron, which hung low on his right hip, was restless in its holster, and he slid it in and out to make sure that it was loose and ready to draw at moment's notice. The pistol was loaded with silver bullets.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It was a very long flight, and Nilpaurion Felagund had not yet recovered from the jet lag. His mind's saying mid-afternoon, but his eyes register late night. His instincts cry out, I'm a werewolf, lynch me, but his mind answers, the roles haven't been handed out yet.

. . . Wait, that last part's normal.

And so he stepped into the Eagle and Child, dropping to the floor from sheer exhaustion. He did entertain everyone by talking to himself while half-asleep on the floor.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The phantom felt a light touch on his right shoulder, and automatically glanced over his left, finding Fea in the process of leaning nonchalantly against the bar. Dressed casually in jeans that in a previous incarnation - prior to the rips and inkstains - would have cost a normal human in a normal purchasing situation too much (Fea was not normal in this regard), and a clavicle-bearing black t-shirt that would have looked self-conscious on a normal human (neither was Fea normal in this regard), with black leather Chucks, Fea was the epitome of casual cool, her loosely braided hair leaving her bangs (sorry, Mith, I mean fringe) to fall accidentally-on-purpose over her eyes.

"Leather, Fee?" asked the phantom, perhaps a little southernly, though it might have been Englishly.

She looked down, inspecting the dirty white laces and worn rubber toes. She glanced back up. "Nienna pointed out to me that the cow wasn't going to come back to life if I didn't buy them."

Perhaps the phantom would have mentioned something else regarding Fea's footwear, however she cut him off, pointing past the unconscious dwarf and the already slightly drunken wayfarer to Nilp.

"Who gave him a rope?"
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Nerwen stepped over the sleeping form. "Oh, hello, Nilp" she said, easily recognising the Downs' resident lunatic. Who else would be babbling in his sleep about "lynching" and "werewolves" and someone called "Adam"?

The others presented more of a challenge. She had thought she would know everyone from their pictures on the photo page, but she was not sure what to make of those who had arrived before her. Who, for example, was the dark, sinister-looking individual in the corner? Why was he dressed as a cowboy? What was going on?

A stranger? she wondered. Or can it be that the charming online personas of my fellow Downers are not the whole story...?

EDIT: X'd with Fea.

Last edited by Nerwen; 04-08-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Nienna looks nervously around her as she enters the bar. Wondering why she decided to come alone when she knows so many people who are going to be here. Then she decides that if she can stand up in front of 24 kindergarteners without any fear this should be no problem. She is pleasantly clad in cute jeans, a cami, and a fabulous black and gray zip-up hoodie. Her shoes are flat and that puts her as the shortest person in the room.

*sigh*

She finally decides that its time to go introduce her to some people and stop being shy when she sees a familiar face lurking in the back. "ZOMG" she says to herself and meanders her way around to where Fea is lurking.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shasta, of course, has been here for some time, slipping through the door in the wake of Phantom (who, he was sure, missed him entirely due to his egomaniacal delusions [:P]). Having seated himself in an out of the way corner, he fiddled with a silver thumb-ring, twisting it round and round his finger as more and more Barrow-Downers showed up.

Girl flirting with Phantom - Fea. Check.

Oh, look, Nerwen forgot to take off her cheerleader outfit. Those pom-poms would be recognizeable anywhere.

Guy with multiple personalities? Gotta be Nilp.

The others were unfamiliar to Shasta, but he was confident he'd learn all their names soon enough. He leaned back in his chair, balancing it against the wall, putting his feet up on the table and clasping his hands behind his head as he waited to be noticed.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Firefoot approaches the pub, eager to get out of the chilly and damp weather. It was warmer at home - but that was a silly thing to dwell on. England - she'd never been to England before, and now here was the perfect opportunity.

She steps inside and glances around. Would they even remember her here? It had been so long. Some of them are vaguely familiar; others, she'd swear she'd never heard of before. She used to know everyone here... but no matter. No time like the present to meet some new people.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
The door to the pub opened with a bang and two young women entered with a noise that could be best described as a "squee."

"No, seriously," one of them was saying, "this is awesome. 'Downers aside, the sheer historical awesome of this place--we should totally have brought some badfic and done the whole "take a drink if you laugh" game--"

The other, clearly sick of her babbling, looked about the room. "PHANTOM!" she cried. "Save me from this nutcase of a roommate? I think she's..." she paused and whispered theatrically--"unhinged."

"I've only been giving her a tour of Tolkien's Oxford..." said the unhinged one. "And we were going to stop at Blackwell's after this as a reward for good behavior..."

The room's occupants (those of them who could be bothered to care, at least) stared, almost as if she didn't belong.

"Er... hi? Sally and Duck here... I'm sure that even if I don't recognize you I know you, even if you don't know me because I'm a creepy lurktastic stalker... Yeah, shutting up now. Anyone else up for drinks yet?"
Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A girl enters. She's wearing a black trench coat and loose black trousers tucked inside black leather boots. Her hair is long and golden, like a lion's mane, and her eyes are shadowed with heavy green make-up. Quite an absurd sight, if I may say so myself.

"Darlings you can't imagine how near I came to skipping this meeting, I should study for the uni entrance exams and all. But ah I suppose I should be glad I didn't, there are so many old and new and interesting faces here. Nice to meet you all in person."

Aganzir lets her gaze wander around the room. It's still relatively empty. "I wonder when Green and Nog will arrive. I hate flying so I took a train, otherwise I would've come together with them. Oh and Lommy isn't coming. She's having a private Downer meeting in Prague at the moment." Aganzir grins.

She nods at phantom and Fea and ignores the purple dwarf (for now. She likes dwarves though), and concentrates on the other people in the room.

"Hmm since this does not take place exactly on the Downs, are we allowed to discuss politics? Gwathiee!" Agan takes a conscious risk of trying to provoke him although his appearance is a lot scarier than on the Downs (plus, he has a gun. Eek!).

Slightly amused, she glances at the sleeping Nilp on the floor. "Ah well, I asked him on Facebook in November how he's doing, and it seems I'm still not getting a response.

"Hi Nerwen! Nice to meet you at last. You were a great fellow last time we played werewolf." Agan smiles at her.

"You must be Nienna I guess? I remember you from those photos they posted on the Downs."

It takes Agan a while to recognize the guy sitting in the corner as she's only seen a few photos of him (in most of which he had longer hair), but in the end his elaborate theatrical make-up leaves no room for doubt. "Heya Shasta! Why are you sitting there alone in the dark?

"And hello Sally and Duck! I don't think I've even met you properly on the Downs yet, Mnemo. Well, there are relatively many other people I haven't met, either, so I guess it doesn't matter." She nods at the girl who entered before sally & Mnemo and looks remotely familiar (from her People You May Know Tool on Facebook, as she soon remembers).

Aganzir cannot decide whether to order a shot of Unicum (her new love) or a cup of tea so she takes both and goes to sit next to Shasta. "Hey dear would you like to sing some Lion King songs? Or Cabaret, whichever you prefer."
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mira yawned as she entered the pub. Apparently getting three hours of sleep the night before flying somewhere with a five hour time difference was a bad life choice. Furthermore, whyFea, and Nienna hadn't bothered to coordinate flights and whatnot was way beyond her. Mira and Lari were smarter than them, apparently. Sleepily rubbing her eyes and adjusting her trademark hat, Mira surveyed the pub while Lari babbled on about some historic somethingorother. Her gaze fell on Nienna and Fea, the latter of whom was flirting shamelessly with who she could only surmise was phantom.

"Found them!" Mira declared, grabbing Lari by the arm and dragging her over to where their roommates stood.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Kent made his way into the bar, and wondered if partying with strangers for a while, was the vacation his advisor really meant. He began looking around to stereotype and judge the strangers based on first impressions. He always felt bad doing it, but what can anyone do about human nature?

"Desperado's got a sweet hat. Wish I had his hat, but don't tell him that. You can't trust anyone with big hats.".

"Girl in black will definitely be the life of this party."

"And of course the person who didn't get enough sleep the night before...Poor girl, my roommate is convinced I'm borderline narcoleptic who can fall asleep on command, and she could definitely use a good nap right now."

Kent took a seat at the counter, specifically three seats down from the man who had a cool had. He wasn't too worried about being the obvious stranger, he had the rare and kind of creepy ability to hear everything, and almost immediately put a voice with a face. As long as he could watch his Cavs, and King James, shut up those Celtic fans this wouldn't be all that bad.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Formendacil arrived about five minutes after due punctual, as was his wont for social events that did not involve much of a set agenda, but rather a lot of socialising. Normally, this mean he was the first person there, but in this particular case it seemed the other Barrow-downers were more punctual, as a whole, than the other social circles he moved in.

A bit shy, he hung back a bit, and--thinking of Tolkien--wondered whether or not he could get away in modern England with smoking his pipe in a pub. In Alberta, alas, such was unlikely. Rather than investigate this further, he stumbled towards a shorter man perusing the internet. The Phantom, recognisable by his tuxedo--and by the flirtatious Fea standing near--appeared to have been intended to watch what Kuruharan was showing him, but had become rather... entangled.

Formy might not have gone over then, even so, but he happened to recognise what Kuru was browsing. DM of the Rings? Formy knew that web parody. It was okay, he thought, but if Kuru thought those were good, he absolutely HAD to read Darths & Droids, if he hadn't already, which had been Formy's gateway to DM of the Rings, and which Formy felt was even better--and was also the only rational explanation possible for the Star Wars prequels.

He said as much to Kuru, and it occurred to him as he did that might be endangering himself by referencing Star Wars in the Bird and Baby, but though he had never been a rash man, Formendacil didn't care. He was thousands of miles from home, and spirited arguments are the stuff of which Philosophers dream.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Oh, so that's Gwath? And you brought a gun?" Mnemo giggled. "That's so cute! --Though I'm not sure if it's legal... Anyway, thanks, person-I-don't-recognize-but-was-nice-enough-to-say-hi. ...You're one of the Finns, aren't you?--I think I remember you from those crazy House of Nog pics after the Fellowship of Saruman game. And of course I already know phantom, and so that'd probably make the person flirting with him Fea...right?... So who's the short guy? Kuru? KURU!!!"

Suddenly recalling herself and the fact that it was unseemly to fangirl people from the initial days of her lurkdom, she clammed up and turned once more to the lady who had greeted her.

"So, right," she said, batting her eyelashes in an intentionally irritating Suvian fashion. "Which Finn are you?"
Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

After several minutes of staring, Phantom finally forced his eyes away from Fea to see who else had arrived. "Lots of late people," said Fea.

"Um... yeah..." said Phantom, unable to think of a cooler response to such a comment. But then inspiration struck, and he turned back to Fea and locked eyes. "Why is it you are trying to make a living as an artist again?" he asked with a perfect mix of curiosity and disbelief in his voice. "You realize people would pay you to dress up in different outfits and stand in front of a camera."

Phantom continued, finding that it was easier than usual to make such comments- likely because he actually meant it this time. "Not that your work isn't great. It's just... it doesn't seem fair that you'd only allow folks in New York to appreciate such a sight, particularly when you're losing money for it."
Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Firefoot could not help overhearing Formy's comments to Kuru, and crossed the short distance separating her from them.

"You know, I really don't have time to be here... papers to write, and all that... much less time for webcomics, but after the first couple episodes of that, Formy, I do believe you're right; it looks to be every bit as funny as DM of the Rings."

For the first time, she noticed that Kuru looked to be rather... unwell. "Alright there, Kuru?" she asked.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
"Technically, love," Fea winked at the phantom, "I make a living as a librarian, but I'm sure I could combine both the things you mention by charging people to take pictures while I'm covered in paint..."
Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Nogrod was late and he knew it. But there was nothing he could do about it and he was so tired he felt dizzy. Luckily I have my energy-boosting yellow rubber-boots on, he smiled to himself while greeting the people already in. It was so good to see all these people with whom he shared such fond memories and with whom he had had such nice time.

"Not yet hating Day minus ones? Form, Nilp, anyone?" he flashed a smile on his way to the counter.

After one Spitfire ale he felt his eyelids closing with an irresistible force his muscles or will couldn't fight against. "Not my best day..." he managed to mumble before he fell down to the floor, sleeping. It was not his best day.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Nienna listened and observed the people around her as she sat sipping her girly drink. She couldn't help but giggle as she listened to Fea and Phantom thinking... "if he only knew"...

Mira and Lari kept shouting out words that begin with 'P' for no apparent reason so Nienna threw in 'Pumpernickel' and went back to her drink.

After some minutes she pulled out her sketchbook and a bright green mechanical pencil and began sketching the group of interesting people around her.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shasta welcomed Aganzir (really, Lion King? Who else could she be?) with a grin.

"Your choice; I'm fine with either "Be Prepared" or "Two Ladies"."
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots That was an impressive fainting spell by me...even if I do say so myself

Kuruharan awoke with a loud gasp for air.

"Quite alright Firefoot, quite alright. Thank you for asking."

Turning to Formendacil he said, "Indeed I have read some of Darths and Droids. Alas I fear I hold the reverse of your opinion as I believe DM of the Rings to be the superior piece. The author of Darths and Droids himself said it best when he said that the acting in Star Wars is a bit "stoic." I would say wooden. Makes for less interesting images, in my opinion. And also Star Wars is suffering from an acute Gimlilessness (try to say that out loud) and Gimli was definitely the star of the show in DM of the Rings. I will concede that I have never had the chance to read all of Darths and Droids...and it is a rather big giggle to hear Qui-Gon saying in my head 'What? I'm still looking at the equipment list.'"

Still, in spite of his cheerful assurances to Firefoot, Kuru was being afflicted with a growing sense of unease. He wasn't quite sure if it was the oxygen deprivation or one or two odd things that were cropping up.

Who, for example, had hired this dreary, mournful, black-clad band who insisted on playing such gloomy airs in opposition to the spirit of merriment the Downers sought to create? What was even more annoying was their habit of playing hair-raising chords every time anyone mentioned Werewolf, wolves or poodles in general. Thankfully, most Downers seemed able to tune them out, although there was one awful ten-minute spasm of ear-shattering violin solos when somebody mentioned getting a two week old puppy for a present.

Yes, Kuru decided he needed to liven things up a bit so he grabbed Form and Firefoot and anybody else nearby, plopped them down at a table and began to deal the cards. (Have to pay for the trip somehow).

Five humiliating routs later, Kuruharan was decidedly in a state of mourn expectation. There was definitely some ill juju in the air about Oxford this evening. Kuru never lost at cards!

Our Hero swatted impatiently at the giant raven that kept flapping about his ears and looked out the window to see if the banshee was still leering ghoulishly at him.

Yup.

Either somebody had spiked his tea or there were some seriously bad omens about.

One of weaker heart and stomach would probably have been daunted by these portents, but Kuru didn't let them get to him...much.

*CRACK KA-BOOM*
Dun-Dun-Dun-DUUNNNH

went a loud crack of thunder (and the band).

"Nice touch," thought Kuru as he returned his mind to repairing his fortunes at the table.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
"So, right," she said, batting her eyelashes in an intentionally irritating Suvian fashion. "Which Finn are you?"
"I am the one who is not a part of the family, I befriended Lommy in primary school and have been her right hand ever since. Also, I'm Lobelia, if you remember the photos. Gosh I could dress up as her again some day, it was lots of fun.
And you were the Éomer in high heels, weren't you?"

Agan waves casually to Mira and Kent and blows a kiss to Form. Then she notices Nog's boots. "Awesome! I didn't know you're still wearing those! I'm glad they make you feel energetic.

"And great that you recognized me although I'm not dressed up as Scar (which I do at times), Shasta. Could you sing them both? And have you seen the Lion King musical? Also The Madness of King Scar is pretty awesome. Hmm but yes, Be Prepared and Two Ladies are fine as well, but we need some hyenas for the former... Hey Phantom! Any chance you could lend your voice for Ed?" Agan smirks.
"Me myself, I can't sing at all. But if you give me some clay... Did I tell I recently made another little sculpture that I named after Downers?" She glances around her quickly. "Luckily, neither of them is here. They might not want to hear the details."
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #24
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...20PDVD_013.jpg

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1980...unfighter3.jpg

If you feel the need to envision me, do so along these lines.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 04-08-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Agan waves casually to Mira and Kent and blows a kiss to Form. Then she notices Nog's boots. "Awesome! I didn't know you're still wearing those! I'm glad they make you feel energetic.
Kuru's impromptu card game faltering as the initiator began to falter, Formendacil caught sight of Aganzir blowing him a kiss, and took the opportunity to mingle a bit more, bowing politely to Firefoot and the others, and making his way to where Agan, wearing a costume from The Lion King was chatting with Shasta, whom he'd not much interacted with.

"Tsk, tsk, Aganzir," he scolded, a contradictory grin on his face. Paternal scolding, he re-emphasised to himself. No flirting with the Downer girls--no letting them flirt with you. At least, don't let's go beyond flirting--that's crossing the line too much as it is.

"You don't approve, serious Master Formy?" said Agan, blowing him another kiss for good measure, causing him to roll his eyes and reply.

"I really can't approve of that stuff--at least in relation to me," he said. "Might get me kicked out of a lifetime vocation, and all that. Besides, there are plenty other people to throw kisses to here. You could always be the first step in turning the phantom/Fea situation into a Love Dodecahedron.

"Which reminds me..." he muttered to himself, "I think I meant to stalk--er, meet. Yes, that's it: meet. Meet Sally at some point."
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #26
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
And you were the Éomer in high heels, weren't you?"
Mnemi coughs delicately. "Maybe... unfortunately I still can't afford a good pair of high boots that doesn't have me looking like Fea's acting with the guy who got this whole shindig together. But yes, dressing up as fictional characters is much fun; wish I had the means, friends, and occasion to do it more often.

"Speaking of--are those yellow galoshes?

Hey, there, is that a Nog I spy before me?
Must be, for otherwise Sally would abhor me.
She hates poetry when in this way 'tis given.
But if it's all for Noggie's sake, I shall be forgiven!
Hey, now! Derry dol! Psychic armadillo,
All hail the masterful Nogrodadillo!

Last edited by Mnemosyne; 04-08-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #27
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
You could always be the first step in turning the phantom/Fea situation into a Love Dodecahedron.
*would pay to see this*
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Izzy enters the Pub and lets the door shut quietly behind her. She meanders towards the bar as she surveys the room, occupied by strangers. She thinks she recognizes Shasta, but can't be sure.

Ordering a drink, she checks her phone to note the hour; eyes widening at the amount of misplaced time. Quickly, her fingers move over the keys to set the alarm.

Drink half gone, she sets it on a vacant table with a bench. Jacket wadded into a ball, she curls up on the bench and closes her eyes.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #29
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Looks like this trip's going to pay for itself...

Nerwen permitted herself a slight smile as she pocketed her winnings. She was always on her guard when someone initiated a card game out of the blue, but Kuruhuran had turned out to have literally nothing up his sleeve.

She herself, on the other hand... her smiled broadened a trifle as checked that none of her concealed decks of cards were outlined through her clothing.

Almost as satisfying was the fact that she had managed to "lose" her cheerleading pom-poms to Formendacil in an early round.

Wonder what he'll do with them... What did I bring them for, anyway?

Nerwen approached the group of Formendacil, Aganzir, Shasta and another Downer she did not recognise.

"Drinks are on me," she told them. "I'm celebrating. Oh, and would you like to play again, Formy? Perhaps I'll win my pom-poms back from you."

Last edited by Nerwen; 04-08-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: EDIT: typo
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Brinn arrived in Oxford late, after suffering from an extremely cruddy day. Sick and bruised (and not to mention jet lagged), she struggled to muster all the energy she could to walk through those pub doors and put aside her sour mood.

The inside of The Eagle and the Child was already crowded with Downers and the lively atmosphere did somewhat lift Brinn's spirits. Happy memories from her last visit here remained vivid in her mind...has it really been almost a year? Yet this second visit was even more extraordinary with so many Downers in attendance. Scanning the room, Brinn noticed she was not the last one to arrive; there were still many expected guests that had not yet shown up.

Before greeting anyone, Brinn rushed to the bar and ordered a pint of dark beer and sipped on it slowly, hoping the alcohol would help distract her from all the frustrations she experienced in the past week. Carrying her drink with her, she meandered through the pub looking for familiar faces. What she needed most right now was to let loose and have a good laugh with friends. And what better place to do that than here? After all, everyone knows that out of anyone, it is Barrow-Downers that are best at acting silly (and possibly insane)...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #31
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
"Drinks are on me," she told them. "I'm celebrating. Oh, and would you like to play again, Formy? Perhaps I'll win my pom-oms back from you."
"Pom poms?" Formendacil paused guiltily, noting Nerwen's fluttering eyelashes. Did all the Downer girls have to be pretty? "Oh. Those pom poms."

He glanced guiltily back at the table the cards had been at, and could just catch a glimpse of one of the poms where he had tried stuffing them under the seat.

"Sorry," he said, "I must've lost them... somewhere. I think I'll sit this game out. I'd rather lose my devalued Canadian dollars on English ales than cards."

And maybe he'd avoid looking for Sally just yet. Brinn had just walked in, and as the only Downer of his previous acquaintance, he wanted to say hi--and then perhaps slip off to a corner to pray Vespers. At least if Nilp or Isabellkya hadn't taken all the good corners, anyway...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #32
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

First lass to make Formy regret his current lifestyle choice (or even renege on it!) gets £20 and a dozen gingerbread Daleks. Contributions to the Reward Fund will be accepted.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #33
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots A new money making scheme

*starts pool on whether or not that actually happens*
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #34
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
*starts pool on whether or not that actually happens*
*pulls glasses down nose donnishly, eyes twinkling and mouth twitching impishly*

Now, now, Kuru, you really don't want to encourage me. I might just be a bit incorrigible, you know.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #35
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shasta's eyes light up as Izzy and then Brinn enter the pub. Waving an arm, he beckons them both over to take a seat near him and Agan.

Grinning as they come over, he nudges Agan with an elbow.

"With just a few more people, I bet we can get a rousing chorus of 'Wilkommen' going, what do you think?" he askes, arching an eyebrow, a wicked look in his eye. Reaching into his jeans pocket, Shasta pulled out a piece of bubble gum and blew a bubble experimentally.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
*pulls glasses down nose donnishly, eyes twinkling and mouth twitching impishly*

Now, now, Kuru, you really don't want to encourage me. I might just be a bit incorrigible, you know.
Secretly, I think you're enjoying all the attention.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #37
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Secretly, I think you're enjoying all the attention.
Secretly? My dear, if my intention were to out-flirt the phantom, attention is exactly what I'd be looking for.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Depends on which side of the pool I'm on.

Quote:
My dear, if my intention were to out-flirt the phantom, attention is exactly what I'd be looking for
ah-HA!

We have figured out your evil plan!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #39
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Secretly? My dear, if my intention were to out-flirt the phantom, attention is exactly what I'd be looking for.
My dear Form, you misunderstand me. I was revealing the inner nature of my own secret thoughts, not suggesting that your intent was at all concealed from the rest of us.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #40
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

In the interests of science and on a sort of spur of the moment lark, Kuruharan dumps a bucket of water over Nilpaurion to see if anything interesting happens...like an...explosion...or...something.

Remember this is for science! Any result is valid!