The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #41
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I must say that while he is usually fairly verbose tp seems a bit peppier than normal, almost silly which has me slightly worried. I tend to trust him because he is fairly serious and he seems genuine about helping if cocky and arrogant, but I get a feeling of silliness that could indicate that he knows more than the rest of us, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #42
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Shasta, I love how you made me the example of "innocent as innocent could be," plus you bolded my name four times. Boy do I feel special.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #43
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Shasta, I love how you made me the example of "innocent as innocent could be," plus you bolded my name four times. Boy do I feel special.
Well I'm the only one labeled as misguided...I don't know whether to be slightly annoyed of genuinely offended...Hmph!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #44
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Building up credits for the "right-hand-man-of-Brinniel-the-world-leader" position.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 AM   #45
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Well I'm the only one labeled as misguided...I don't know whether to be slightly annoyed of genuinely offended...Hmph!
Consider yourself "unique", morm.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #46
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Pick me, or you die!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Ahem! *taps foot* Who's the resident psychic around here?
Oh... sorry...

Pick Shasta, or you die!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
that could indicate that he knows more than the rest of us, if you know what I mean.
Hush, morm! Do you want the Wolves to kill me tonight?! I've only had one dream so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brin
Gah! He's buttering you up so you taste better later. Run for it, Brin!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #47
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Sob. You're so hurtful.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #48
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just because I'm here doesn't automatically make me a wolf. I mean, I've slacked off as a wolf plenty of times. Not only the last one but the one where Rikae ranted for days at everyone and we pulled off the win for a dramatic finish. I didn't even show up for the last day on that one.

And I find the Cobbler remarks classist.

EDIT: crossed with a lot of people. I think I'm going to stop marking it until it actually counts.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #49
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
Just because I'm here doesn't automatically make me a wolf.
Thank goodness. I was worried that everyone here was a Wolf.

So showing up doesn't indicate Werewolf then. Then I guess the opposite must be true.

Lynch the people that aren't here! They're Werewolves!

Or asleep. But then that's suspicious too. Who could sleep at a time like this?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #50
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Clearly, Werewolves are European in descent.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
I must say that while he is usually fairly verbose tp seems a bit peppier than normal, almost silly
Yes, yes, sorry about that. I'm just excited to be playing.

When I wake up in the morning groggy and grumpy you can expect my play style to change a bit.

Though by evening I might be back to this. We'll see. Much of it depends on what I see from others. Come crunch time I'm likely to be much less silly.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #52
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
Are you calling Shasta my Wormtongue?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #53
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Current post count:

the phantom: 23
Shasta: 11
mormegil: 6
McCaber: 4
Brinniel: 3
Ilya : 2
Sally: 1

Obviously the phantom has CPD, better known as Compulsive Posting Disorder.

If anyone ever dares to attempt a post-by-post analysis of tp, my hat's off to you.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #54
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Are you calling Shasta my Wormtongue?
No, no... I was implying that you look good enough to eat.

*winks at Brin*
Quote:
Clearly, Werewolves are European in descent.
Now despite the joke, this is actually a serious matter regarding voting. Will timezones impact who we wish to select as reps? Is there an advantage to having reps around at the deadline? Or reps who vote early?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #55
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
If anyone ever dares to attempt a post-by-post analysis of tp, my hat's off to you.
Heh heh... That's why I talk so much, naturally. To discourage people from going back and researching me.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #56
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Heh heh... That's why I talk so much, naturally. To discourage people from going back and researching me.
Aha, and the truth will out.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #57
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Good fodder for a future fillibuster though. I mean, I'm sure someone besides Phantom could talk about him(self) for several hours.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #58
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Good fodder for a future fillibuster though. I mean, I'm sure someone besides Phantom could talk about him(self) for several hours.
You should've left the "self" off of there. It would amuse me beyond belief to see someone filibuster with me as the subject. No doubt it would be insulting most of the time. But still- even bad press is good for name recognition.

Thank goodness. I'm finally getting sleepy. I have to wake up for work in a few hours, so I'd like to get some sleep. I won't be posting for much longer.

*mass cheering*
Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #59
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

From page 1-
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Anyone have theories on the WW rep-voting behavior?
So- anyone? Thoughts?

What do you think will be attempted? What would you do if given the chance? What would you be afraid to do?

Should we even try to foil likely plots, or allow for them and catch them in the act? That's what I would lean towards hence my support for keeping all of the options open.

*starts getting ready for bed*
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #60
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
From page 1-

So- anyone? Thoughts?

What do you think will be attempted? What would you do if given the chance? What would you be afraid to do?

Should we even try to foil likely plots, or allow for them and catch them in the act? That's what I would lean towards hence my support for keeping all of the options open.

*starts getting ready for bed*
Why so anxious for us to give the wolves ideas, Phantom?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #61
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
That sounds fine for the rest of you. But I would like complete freedom. Does that sound fair? We'll make rules and enforce them unevenly.

Like the speed limit. Does it really make sense that an individual with poor eyesight, poor coordination, poor reaction time, and poor judgement is allowed to go the same maximum speed as me?
Does it make more sense to set a different speed limit for every driver? Really?

And now I believe I'll channel the spirit of out late, much lamented President:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Nerwen- The Seer, obviously.
*dramtic chords*
*removes mask*

Well picked, Shasta. I am indeed the Seer, and if the real Seer tries to tell you any different, remember that he or she has a vested interest.

Shasta and tp are wolves, of course. Or perhaps Shasta and Brinniel. Their strategy is obvious: they're going to be extremely friendly to each other... just because we all know wolves would never be that obvious, don't we?

I have spoken.

*vanishes*
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #62
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++No Filibuster

Because.

Just because.

So there.

Also, tp is a werewolf because it would amuse Fea to make him one. I'm sure of this.

In case anyone is interested, I will not be around at the deadline for choosing Reps but I will be around at the deadline for lynching someone. Unless my roommate needs to use the internet. But still, I'm here for you. I have your best interests at heart, and I won't lynch anyone who votes for me. At least not on Day 1. You can be sure I'll try to lynch you all the next time I get a chance, because obviously anyone who votes for a Rep just on the promise of not being lynched is a werewolf.

Now that that plot is explained, no one will vote for me. Unless you want to point out that you wouldn't be so bold as to vote for me when I pointed out that voting for me is wolfish. Or wolvish, if you want to be all Tolkieny about it. But really, just vote for me. I'm going to try to get phantom lynched. Because Fea would make him a wolf, and you know it.

I also will not ever edit my posts to say who I x'ed with, or crossed with, or xcrossed with, because that's annoying.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #63
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Also, tp is a werewolf because it would amuse Fea to make him one. I'm sure of this.
I really wanted to say that in my first post but was afraid Fea would yell at me.

Nerwen - Really, I pick you out as the Seer and you immediately call me a wolf? Where's the love?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #64
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hi everyone. I am reading, but have nothing to contribute yet.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #65
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I say things that others are afraid to say. Another reason why I make a stellar Rep. Or maybe it's the only reason. I'm not clear on that yet. I need a campaign strategist, I wonder if I can find one in the Yellow Pages.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #66
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabbie
I'm here for the first day. How awesome is that? Very awesome.
Awh, so modest.

Don't take it so hard on yourself though, I only was able to join in the end for the 48 hour days. Finally, I can play ww and go to work! Life makes a little more sense again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE phantom
The Ka- Not to be confused with A Ka. He is the one, and only.
Oh! You figured it out. We decided to trade titles every millenia. The poor guy is so modest he feels wracked by any sort of lime light. Last time we talked he mentioned something about using the 'anonymus' concept or something. So far it seems to be working out for him, people love a good mystery.

Unless you were just talking about my ol'self, except, *looks over m'self* I'm sorry to disappoint your expectations. I just don't have the right equipment to be a 'male'. In the first, second or third person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya
If we decide consciously we want to have a smaller number of reps, we also better make sure we give them the same amount of weight, but then I'm a NJ girl from way back.
Good point, we don't want too many California's and Texas' running about when us 'only one or two' electorial voters are trying to make the little man heard.

Though, I think that equal weight rule is already in play according to our Mods.
Two votes for one rep is the same weight for someone who likes to flaunt ten, the requirement is that you at least have two votes.
... Unless the rules changed from whence in the admin thread? I'm not sure, and if someone does know, don't feel prudish over correcting it.

Quote:
Aganzir- A scary Ordo.
The Ka- A sneaky Ordo.
*sigh* Aganzir, it looks like we're in a dead heat in the: "Sneaky Scary Idol: Scar or Kaa?" Contest again... Don't worry, I'll vote for you of course.

~ The, A, Who cares? Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-11-2008 at 03:04 AM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #67
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Murder, murder
In the night air!
Murder, murder
It's a nightmare!
Murder, murder
It's a right scare!
Bloody murder
In the night!

Murder, murder
Makes your heart thump!
Murder, murder
Makes your nerves jump!
Murder, murder
Makes your blood pump!
Bloody murder
In the night!

.......Sorry, I've been obsessed with this song lately, and it seems to fit Werewolf very well.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #68
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Pick me, or you die!~the phantom
The only thing that's stopping me from choosing you Master phantom is you have mithril in your skull. Once you're set, aint nothing getting through that head of yours. I could say I'm the seer, I could be killed and be proven to be the seer, and tell you Mac's a wolf, but if that goes against your intellectual fiber you will still argue his innocence.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #69
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Fellow Villagers,

Have you noticed? Mr. Phantom is already testing his skills on filibustering. All we have seen until now is but the beginning. He was obviously trying, throughout the first page, whether he can manage it. We are lucky that he can do it only once. Of course, the filibustering may do good to our cause, if he is stopping the votes from going the wrong way. But, with all honesty, all he will do is that he will be stopping the votes from going the way that seems wrong for him. Thankfully, we have democracy here. But once he starts talking - if it is around the DL - it will be all only upon the people in the West. Us, Europeans, will be sleeping. But this is not just Americans, Europeans, Australians and whoever else may appear in this mixture - we are all one village! We are all Villagers! And it is only about us who stand against the threat of those lurking among us, who call themselves Villagers, but their intentions are hideous and abhorrent! And this is why there will be no Americans or Europeans for me, I won't just "let those behind the Sea eat this in the morning hours", I will stand by the side of those who prefer freedom of speech and freedom of vote without being restrained by some Phantom-a-likes.

Therefore,

++No Filibuster

Don't worry. I know it may be fun to have filibustering, and I say, all right. I am also for trying it some day. But not today. We need a smooth start, so that we can get the ship of state rolling. (Hm. An awkward formulation.)

And one thing to make it clear. Mr. P. is not getting my vote as a Representative, no way. He was even so daring to put these words of mine into his signature, which keeps showing all the thread long, because he cannot just keep his mouth shut. But we are all Villagers! We all have the right to speak, and not listen to just one demagogue, who would prefer to do filibuster every Day just after he votes, if only the Rules allowed it. Luckily for us, they don't.

It's been enough of self-nominated leaders, who vote only according to their own whims. It's been enough of demagogues, of amateurs whose votes more harmed the village than they helped it. Therefore, make your Representative somebody whom you can trust to make at least a honest decision. Who will not deceive you. I am not saying, vote this or that one. I am leaving this on your good reasoning, which I belive, most of you have. The Wolves may vote for their own Representative to get him there - if they are four, they can get two Representatives there by voting together. But that will be very risky. Yes, it is possible, if not probable, that a Wolf or two will get among the Representatives on the first Day with support of the villager's votes. I am not closing my eyes before it. And it is good, I say, yes. Because if a Wolf gets into the representation, he or she will have to choose. He could not stand behind and hide, but he would have to make a responsible decision. And this is where we can find them, catch them. And later, on the next Day, lynch them.

This is not saying, vote as Representatives those who seem wolfy to you. No way! Don't worry, they will get themselves in just "naturally". They don't need your help. But what I say is, do not judge the possibility of them becoming Representatives as only bad. It can serve us, even - for now. Of course, as the Days go by, we need to be more and more careful, for the less people, and the less Representatives, the more dangerous may the balance of power in the Council be. But for now, a good middle number of Representatives - let's say 5, 6 or such - would be enough to prevent the Wolves have too much power in the final voting, even if they got there (for I don't believe more than let's say two would get in there). But let each vote according to his own best conscience and reasons, and we will see how things are going to turn. From there, we can learn for the Days to come.

That is it, fellow Villagers. I am leaving for now, but will be back. Use the following six hours in good manner. And think about what is best for your Village.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #70
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Legate's ringing ye olde suspect alarm. Your attack against a filibuster just seems too creepy. I mean really all I'd expect is something like Diamond...No filibuster because it's silly. But you use it as a weapon of fear:

Quote:
I will stand by the side of those who prefer freedom of speech and freedom of vote without being restrained by some Phantom-a-likes.
Quote:
And one thing to make it clear. Mr. P. is not getting my vote as a Representative, no way.
Playing a part, or hiding behind your part, Legate?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #71
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Luckily Form hasn't graced us with his presense in this village, he'd have two day 1's to harp about.

Quote:
Why so anxious for us to give the wolves ideas, Phantom?~Shasta
Let's see what our options are...either do what the phantom says, or we continue to play with and throw a bunch of bull crap at eachother (literal and figurative). I'd prefer the former.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #72
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Why so anxious for us to give the wolves ideas, Phantom?
Because I'm the Cobbler! Mwu ha ha!

But seriously, I just want to know the lines that people are thinking along. It helps me get to know them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Does it make more sense to set a different speed limit for every driver? Really?
Well maybe not for everyone, but they should at least have the decency to make a different one for me.

And Di- no filibuster? I never would've expected such an early stand on the issue from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
Also, tp is a werewolf because it would amuse Fea to make him one.
Yeah, they always say that when I'm in one of Fea's games.

And guess what? It's never happened.

Just fyi, I was a WW in the last game I played. And in the game before that I was a Wizard. And it is possible that I requested specifically to be an Ordo in this village in hopes that it would cause the village to take up less of my time. Just food for thought.

Ah, Ka, quite right- I left the "s" off of that pronoun, didn't I? Won't happen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Once you're set, aint nothing getting through that head of yours.
Yeah, yeah... I know. But often times that is good, as it keeps me from being led astray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
all he will do is that he will be stopping the votes from going the way that seems wrong for him.
Yes, Legate, that's exactly what a filibuster is. Stopping things from going a way that you don't think is favorable. So the fact that I would use a filibuster for its precise purpose hardly seems like news worth reporting.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #73
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Legate's ringing ye olde suspect alarm.
Indeed.

You go in my good book for today, for thinking similarly.

Now- off to work. I'll be back in about five hours and should be around the rest of the day.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #74
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Yeah, yeah... I know. But often times that is good, as it keeps me from being led astray.~the phantom
I never said you didn't have a steel spine. When we need efficiency, and a tough choice, you execute and have the spine to face the Music. But sorry in a representative I don't want someone with their own mind, I want someone with my mind. If it just so happens that we follow the same path, well then you sir would be at the top of the list. Actually it would be more of just getting under Legate's skin and making enemies with 75% of my fellow congress people.

Before I forget...

++No filibuster

for me...realizing that we each only have one and I would hate to waste it. The temptation to be the first would be way too strong, I don't have the willpower of Gandalf to resist the urge. Or maybe I'm just not some washed up moral compass.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #75
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Oh also, I had just this really strange dream about filibusters last night, I was the last vote, and allowed a filibuster...then the phantom capitilized and blocked my vote.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #76
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hello everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Anyone have theories on the WW rep-voting behavior?
I think they might just lay low and vote innocents as representatives because it's more probable that a village lynches an innocent anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
Here's a question- who gets lynched if there are no reps to vote on the lynching?
I would like to second those who said "no one". It seems obvious to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
The more I think about it, the more I think we should not have any set target for number of reps.
I agree with this. What purpose does a set number of representatives serve? No purpose that I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I know it may be fun to have filibustering, and I say, all right. I am also for trying it some day. But not today. We need a smooth start, so that we can get the ship of state rolling.
This is something I disagree with. If we really have to try filibustering, why not toDay when there's (probably) the least action and the smallest chance of lynching a wolf? It would do the least harm toDay, which is why I haven't voted against a filibuster yet. I don't like filibustering at all, I can't see it serving any purpose but chaos-creating (and maybe having fun, but we can have without an official filibuster, can't we?), but I understand it kind of has to be tried in this game, so I will let you children play with it today.

Quote:
Just fyi, I was a WW in the last game I played. And in the game before that I was a Wizard. And it is possible that I requested specifically to be an Ordo in this village in hopes that it would cause the village to take up less of my time. Just food for thought.
Surely it's possible - I even recall you told me when we were wolves together that you'd have preferred to take it easy and be an ordo. But I don't like you bringing up this point at all. If you really did request so, it's rather unsporty of you to say it aloud. And if you didn't, that's a rather stupid trick. And at any rate, who says Fea would have fulfilled your request?

All in all, phantom makes me a little suspicious. He's too all over the place, he says some silly things and posts sometimes plain nonsense. Why?

Also, Diamond's overtly confident manner troubles me a little.

Others who have posted this far didn't ring any alarms on the first reading.

edit: xed with Borox2
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #77
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Some words on voting and representatives...

The good news is we now get to look at twice the amount of votes (I have a feeling Nogrod's going to be busy). The bad news is, we now get to look at twice the amount of votes.

Because the truth is, I think I said something like this last time, votes are overrated. Personally, I hate them, any one, wolf or not, can manipulate their vote in whatever way they please. They are taken as such "hard evidence" when really, what's always served me the best has been reacting and striking conversation with people. I wish I had the phantom's spine, I'll tell you that.

So, phooey on the actual vote, they're overrated. The timing and placement of a person's vote, well now see that can unlock the Area 51 conspiracy.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
77 posts before I even get online... I think I'm slowly getting to understand morm's usual whining about people posting a way too much in these games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Some words on voting and representatives...

The good news is we now get to look at twice the amount of votes (I have a feeling Nogrod's going to be busy). The bad news is, we now get to look at twice the amount of votes.
Whatever you Boro think about analysing the votes - which I myself have found many times the most enlightening thing to do - there will be the fact that in this game the nature of the votes for the representatives will be very different from the actual votes of the representatives themselves - and those votes to lynch will also be different from normal lynch-votes.

The one thing I'm afraid though is that a wolf elected as a representative may hide her/his motives behind the "popular support" - as someone already said that s/he would like to see the rep vote her/his way, not the rep's own way!

So I would call for giving independence to the representatives as if they only follow their voter's wishes they are not accountable on their votes for lynching. If you don't like the way your representative acted you should vote for a different one the next Day.

Which brings me to my thoughts about the way the wolves might think. That I think is somewhat an unproductive question as there are of course different wolves as there are players playing this game differently. As a wolf tp would like to fill the place, filibuster and manipulate from the bottom of his heart (does it have one?) while I could see someone else wishing to stay away from being elected a representative as it is a bit too open and windy place to be. So I'm afraid there's no clear pattern we could be trying to look after...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Playing a part, or hiding behind your part, Legate?
Not playing any part, actually. Formulated in more common talk, I am really not willing to give the phantom the post of a Representative - not now, at least. It is Day 1 and I am not only hanging on my previous promises, so to speak, but I am also unwilling to give votes to certain people as Reps, for now, and among them is Mr. P. for the simple reason that he's too wilful, to use the right adjective, that I won't give my fate into his hands - not yet, at least, until he is proven by the test of time. If he proves to work well for the intentions of this village, I am going to be the first one to nominate him. But for now, I am not ready yet to give my vote to him. That has nothing to do with his possible wolfishness or not, that works just for the best interests of the village as I see it. We need strong Representatives, who have the intentions of the people in mind, and not just their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I agree with this. What purpose does a set number of representatives serve? No purpose that I can see.
Setting up a number is of course nonsense, we cannot say "we will have X Representatives" and then try to make it the way that we end up with this number. But I think this talk about the numbers is not completely pointless, as it can help us stop and think for ourselves and giving us one more thing to consider when voting: "Okay, I want to vote either X or Y for a Rep, but I see we have already six Representatives who have two votes, and one of them is X. And by voting Y, I am about to bring another Rep there with my vote, but I don't want such a high number of Reps, so I will vote rather for X than for Y." Something like that, I hope you get the point (of course in the example I am leaving out the things about X possibly getting four votes etc, but the example was aimed just on the number of representatives).

Quote:
This is something I disagree with. If we really have to try filibustering, why not toDay when there's (probably) the least action and the smallest chance of lynching a wolf? It would do the least harm toDay, which is why I haven't voted against a filibuster yet. I don't like filibustering at all, I can't see it serving any purpose but chaos-creating (and maybe having fun, but we can have without an official filibuster, can't we?), but I understand it kind of has to be tried in this game, so I will let you children play with it today.
Well, yes, for fun, perhaps, but I presume there will be time when it will be used seriously, sooner or later (Wolves' effort to stop a vote, some Gifted's effort to save himself etc.). My point was that if we get stuck toDay, we'll start from nothing toMorrow, and then again... But hey, people don't have to agree with me. This is why we have democracy here

Quote:
Because the truth is, I think I said something like this last time, votes are overrated. Personally, I hate them, any one, wolf or not, can manipulate their vote in whatever way they please. They are taken as such "hard evidence" when really, what's always served me the best has been reacting and striking conversation with people.
Quote:
I think they might just lay low and vote innocents as representatives because it's more probable that a village lynches an innocent anyway.
The votes which are actually positive are A) the votes of the Wolves for the Representatives (e.g. when we have a known wolf and see his votes, or when we have a known wolf who was a Rep and we see who voted for him), B) the votes of the Representatives who are Wolves for the people - or the votes of anybody who is a Representative, for that matter. However, what Lommy said is worth considering, as it may be

A) either the way I said in my first post, and the Wolves would just try to manipulate the village
B) or what Lommy suggested, that the Wolves would just lay low and see how it goes, or just see the innocent Representatives lynch innocent people and laugh at it. That is a good point, and I find the possibility of this simply abhorrent. Although it is not as abhorrent as it seems, because:
  1. There will most probably be some Wolves from the ranks of the more active players, who just could not keep their mouth shut and will get among the Representatives without own effort just because of their own popularity, thus, being brought into the spotlight the high politics bring one into;
  2. I think some Wolves would at least find it unsettling to leave the resumée of who is lynched just on providence, sitting back when in the front there is a debate who is going to be lynched, may not be even bearable by one's nerves. Although, on the other hand, one can always press on fellow Reps to do this or that, it is not exactly the same as when you are sitting there.

(And for further reference, just preventively, if my expression seemed kind of theatral to somebody or whatever, know ye that all I say here is my personal opinion, maybe with a style a bit differing from common talk, but heck, we speak for the Republic here. I am sometimes using some phrases, but the meaning behind them stays - it is what I wish to convey. I just cannot resist to use kind of exalted language at times. But there is no more roleplay in my style than there is in a cup of coffee.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #80
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The one thing I'm afraid though is that a wolf elected as a representative may hide her/his motives behind the "popular support" - as someone already said that s/he would like to see the rep vote her/his way, not the rep's own way!

So I would call for giving independence to the representatives as if they only follow their voter's wishes they are not accountable on their votes for lynching. If you don't like the way your representative acted you should vote for a different one the next Day.
Yes, especially the second paragraph boldened and twice underlined!! Because, among other things, otherwise, all this complicated Rep-system would be worth nothing. End to demagogues and hypocritical "Men of the People"! When you are voted for a Representative, show your worth! When we already have this Republic here, so let it be worth it! And those who fail your trust, into the waste with them - you can vote somebody else! This is the point of this whole system, or so I gathered - so let it be used to its fullest, so that we have something from it!