The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth CXVI: Spies in Cirith Ungol Planning Thread

“He's coming here, I tell you. You heard the bell. He got past the Watchers, and that's tark's work. He's on the stairs. And until he's off them, I'm not going down. Not if you were a Nazgul, I wouldn't. “

Roles:

Assorted ordinary orcs

3 spies (or 4 for a large village). When 2 spies are dead, they may PM each other at any time (but not the living spy/spies) and they gain the ability to use the Phial of Galadriel. This allows them to block one player's special ability each night, if said player has such an ability. The player will be notified that they were targeted, and the spies cannot choose the same player 2 nights in a row.

1 cobbler (“Gorbag”). Counts as, and is revealed upon death as, an ordo.

1 ranger. Protects one person per night, cannot protect the same person twice in a row.

1 illogical hunter. (orcs don't strike me as particularly logical). Kills whoever they have designated as their choice when they die, regardless of the manner of their death or the role of the target

The Two Watchers:
Seer. While alive, they can dream nightly to learn the role of one living player. The weaver and cobbler will appear to the seer as ordos.

Weaver.. Until they die, they are an ordo. They're initially told their role is ordo, and are revealed in their death narration as an ordo. After death, they can dream nightly to see whether two living players are on the same or opposite sides (to the weaver, the cobbler will appear on the same side as the spies).

Victory Conditions:

- Orcs win if they eliminate all spies
- Spies win if they equal the number of orcs with their own
- Gorbag wins if the spies win

The Threads:

The Game Thread:
Only living players (and active ghosts) may post. Players vote for one person to execute each day. In the event of a tie, both players go to the gallows (may revise this if the group is small). Players entirely absent from the game thread for two consecutive days will be modfired, unless they contact me with an explanation – I'm reasonable.

The Dead Thread:
Only dead players may read or post in this thread. Active ghosts may not read or post in the Dead Thread during the Day when they are haunting!
The dead may post in their thread during the Day and the Night.

If they choose, during the Night they may elect a ghost, who will return to the living thread the next Day. However, the dead may only elect two ghosts during the entire game, who must be different players. Dead players who wish not to elect a ghost on a given night may vote ++No ghost and any prospective ghost must receive more votes than there are "No ghost" votes for that Night (non-votes do not count). A ghost may post in the living thread for one Day, but can only speak in quotes taken from Tolkien's works of fiction, and other players are forbidden to give instructions to the ghost on what to say. Ghost posts can only include a Tolkien quote (and reference, appreciated but not required) - no emojis, quotes from other players, links, etc., and quotes must be at least one full sentence of 3+ words.

*I'm undecided whether the number of posts from a ghost should be limited or not. What do you think?

The dead orcs (including Gorbag) may also cast a collective vote during the Day which will count as a regular vote in the living thread. This will be revealed on the living thread at deadline.
The dead spies can cast their own collective vote during the day, which will also count as a regular vote in the living thread and be revealed at deadline. Which vote is which will not be revealed.

Voting:

Votes should be on a separate line, highlighted like so:

++Rikae

Votes are not retractable. Votes timestamped on the deadline will be counted, but those timestamped a minute later will not.

All players should set themselves to invisible on their user control panel, and make sure there is room in their inboxes.

For a deadline, I'm thinking 5 pm Eastern in the US, as in Nogrod's game, but open to input.

Players:

Loslote
Legate

Boromir88
Blind Guardian
Lalaith
Pitchwife
Sally
Nogrod
(?)
Thinlómien
Kath
Huinesoron
A Little Green

Last edited by Rikae; 09-04-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote