The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf Discworld off kilter

Sad news indeed for fans of comic fantasy: Terry Pratchett announces early onset of Alzheimers.

His mythological, fantasy universe Discworld is quite possibly as well known and loved as Middle-earth. Prachett has the dubious distinction of being the most shoplifted novelist in Britain; I don't know where Tolkien falls on that list, but possibly devotees of the Light of the Two Trees are not so light-fingered.

I don't think that Prachett names Tolkien as an influence but certainly in any comparison of those who create alternate worlds Pratchett would stand as tall as Tolkien if his crooked sense of humour didn't give him that stooping bent that causes him sometimes to be overlooked by (serious) fans of (serious) fantasy. Few can say also that Pratchett's love of words is not as dexterous as Tolkien's was.

Pratchett does share the same US publisher as Tolkien, HarperCollins.

I wasn't sure I should post this on the Downs as Pratchett has pointed out that he isn't dead yet but I know that here on the Downs he is greatly admired by at least HerenIstarion if not legions of other twisted Downers.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
HI is not alone. Pratchett has contributed to a book of essays on Tolkien with a degree of affection if I recall correctly. He is a genius and a really nice guy. My young cousins are big fans and some years ago we went to a booksigning since I was giving one of them his latest as a Christmas present . We arrived early and yet we were way back in the queue and reached him at the time he was due to finish. The girl in front had a huge pile of stuff to sign and she said "I'm sorry there is so many" to which he replied "I'm not!". Despite the queue he didn't rush, he was very sweet to the awestruck children and really was delightful. You can't fake that.

May the mind under the black felt hat last out as long as possible and research bear fruit in time for him and other sufferers of this cruel condition.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

AN EMBUGGERANCE, indeed!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This news sucks doesn't it?

The early aggressive form of Alzheimers is nasty too. My nan had the 'regular' type and in her home there was a man in his late 50s with the early onset type and he went down quickly - he went in the home after she did and left a long time before she did

Pratchett does like Tolkien - I watched a documentary where he said he'd read Lord of the Rings in one whole night as a teenager, apparently he couldn't put it down. And even though I've only read scanty bits of his stuff you can see the parodies all over the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
Prachett has the dubious distinction of being the most shoplifted novelist in Britain; I don't know where Tolkien falls on that list, but possibly devotees of the Light of the Two Trees are not so light-fingered.
Tolkien fans are too scared to go for the five-fingered discount because they know what happened after a certain Hobbit nicked a Ring...