The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Tolkien WW LXXX: It's About Time!

As the passengers exited the train at the Blandford station in Dorset, England, they recalled what the e-mail had said: "I'll be holding a sign, and the sign will have a particular character you will instantly recognize." They looked around the platform and saw a man in a white lab coat standing there, smiling, holding a large placard bearing the Tolkien Sigil: a central line both a "T" and a "J", with two mirror-image "R";s on either side. He beckoned them to follow him. They did so, and walked behind him outside. There was a small, old bus at the curb, with its storage compartment open. The man said "Place your luggage in there and hop on board." The man closed the door of the storage bin and climbed onto the bus himself, perching himself on the driver's seat. As the bus pulled away, he picked up the PA system microphone. "I know you're all intensely curious, and I promise you once we arrive at our destination all will be explained." The passengers looked at one another, then out the windows, watching the city streets give way to open countryside.
After about twenty minutes of driving, with no houses or other buildings having been seen for a while, they saw a dirt road ahead on the right. The bus slowed, and turned onto that road. As the bus bounced and lurched along the narrow lane, its riders wondered (not for the first time) what they'd gotten themselves into.
After another ten minutes or so, a large three-story house appeared, surrounded by a high wrought-iron fence. The bus came to a stop in front of a gate, while the bus driver reached into his pocket and removed a small device on which there were two buttons. He pressed one, and the gate opened. The bus passed through, and the gate shut quietly behind it.
As the bus stopped in from of the house, the passengers spoke for the first time.
"The windows- they've been bricked up!", said Sally in surprise. Indeed they had.
"And look at the door", said Pitchwife. Where once had probably been a front door made of fine wood, there was now a heavy-looking metal one, such as one expected to see in a prison.
"What's this all about, anyway?" Fea asked.
"What? Oh, don't be alarmed! Just some security precautions, that's all", the man in the lab coat said reassuringly. He opened the bus's storage compartment. "Just get your things and follow me."
As they retrieved their bags and cases, the man reached into his pocket and brought out the same device he'd used to open the gate. He pressed the other button, and the metal door into the house opened. "Come along!", he said, waving his hand.
With no small amount of uneasiness, the 13 people followed him inside.
As they walked over the threshold, someone gave a yell. The looked back and saw Wilwa clutching Shasta's arm, apparently having nearly fallen. "I tripped on that!" she said, pointing at a tool box just inside the door.
"Sorry!" said the man in the coat. "I meant to clean up some, but I forgot." He reached into another pocket and pulled out an old-fashioned micro-cassette recorder. He spoke into it, "Note to self: 'Tidy up this place!'" He replaced the device.
"Everyone inside? Let's see...one, two, three....yes! All here." He walked over to the metal door, and they noticed a small control panel on one side of it. He stepped in front of it, so that they could not see what he was doing, but the door closed with a crash, making them all jump.
"Now", he said, turning back to them. "Would you all like to know why you're here?"

Last edited by Inziladun; 08-22-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo correction
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Scientific Progress Goes "Gzzthktkk"

"Would you all like to know why you're here?"
"Ummm....Yes!" answered Boro.
"Well, we know that you all responded to an advertisement I put out. I placed it all over the internet, in places I thought were likely to be visited by my target audience. It read as follows: 'Calling all fans of the written works of J.R.R. Tolkien: you have the opportunity to join in a great project to preserve the artistic integrity and general dignity of Lord of the Rings and other Middle-earth related works. Assist in this matter and your reward will be great. Send replies to...' etc. And one by one you all wrote back to me. And here you are."
"So what's this "great project"?", inquired The Elf-warrior.
"And who are you?", asked Shasta.
"Well, the answer to your second question, is that you may call me "Professor Inzil". "As for the first one....well...who all here has seen the LOTR movies put out in the last ten years?"
Everyone raised a hand.
"Now, how many of you were completely happy with those movies?"
No hands were raised.
"Not I, either", said the Professor. "Any movie based on these books has to be an abysmal failure, at least as far as integrity to the books is concerned. The deeper meaning is lost, in favor of mass-market attraction. Why did they bother making the movies if they were going to fundamentally change so much? Why couldn't Jackson have done an original script and left Tolkien alone? I'll tell you why! MONEY!"
"There's no need to shout", said Greenie quietly.
"Sorry", said the Professor. "Anyway, I decided to do something about it. I'm going to prevent those movies from being made. Prevent anyone from making Tolkien-based movies."
"Slight problem there", said Nerwen. "The movies have already been made for LOTR, and one based on The Hobbit is underway."
"Ah", said the Professor, "but I have a way to undo that. Follow me!"
The group followed him through a door, exchanging uneasy glances. Clearly they had been lured here by a lunatic.
When they emerged into the next room, they were dumfounded. What before had apparently been a large dining room at one time, now contained several computer consoles, surrounding a central, egg-shaped chamber with a door in it. Pipes and cables ran out of the contraption in all directions.
"This", said the Professor, 'is a time machine."
"Of course it is", said Boro, "and I have a fusion reactor in my basement."
There were several laughs.
"I expected no less", said Professor Inzil. "So here's a demonstration". He strode over to the door to the central chamber and pressed a button beside it. It opened. The room inside was quite small, no bigger than a large bathroom. There was nothing inside it, but a half-sphere bulged from the ceiling. There were several foot-long rods jutting from it, and from the walls.
The Professor picked up a small cage from among the general clutter, and withdrew a white rat.
"Here you go, my beastly", said the Professor, and set the creature on the floor in the chamber. He then shut the door, and pointed to a set of buttons on the console, all glowing green.
"This", he said, "is where the action is, so to speak. The number keys allow you to input your destination, which is displayed here." He pushed buttons, and an LED readout above showed that day's date, with a time one minute in the future. He then pressed the largest of the buttons, in the center. "Gzzthktkk!", came a loud noise from the chamber.
"What did you do to it?", cried Sally.
"Sent it into the future. It'll be back in one minute. Have a look in there." He went to the door and opened a cover of a round window like a porthole, covered in safety wire. They all crowded round.
"It's gone!", exclaimed Fea. There were murmurs from the group.
"Ok, let's say you aren't totally insane, and you aren't having us on", said Lottie. "Why do you need us? And what exactly are you going to do?"
"I intend to go back in time to 1969 and buy the movie rights myself", was the reply. That's why I chose this location. Tolkien lived in Poole then, and that isn't all that far from here. I can't do it alone though; I need some assistants to go with me, and some to stay here and monitor the equipment."
"Gzzthktkk!' from the chamber made all but the Professor jump. They looked into the porthole again.
"It's back!", exclaimed Pitchwife.
"Told you so", said the Professor.
"Wow!", said Shasta. "You could do all kinds of things! Like take an I-POD back and sell it for lots of money!" The Professor looked affronted.
"Never!", he said. "I didn't build it for personal gain. Besides, electronic objects don't seem to transport. They, well, break. He picked up an object from the floor. It was burned-looking, but appeared to have been a digital watch.
"I tried to use this while experimenting", he said, "but it didn't do so well. "I'm not sure why."
"You could still do other things", said skip. "Like prevent the Titanic from sinking."
"Or stop the assassination of JFK", said Nerwen.
"Or keep Lady Gaga from having a music career", said Lottie.
"Those are good ideas, especially the last one", said Professor Inzil. "And other things will come. Think of this as a trial run."
"The ad said something about a reward", said Shasta.
"Ah, well, about that, I can't exactly pay you all. Your reward will be the honor of being part of all this!" Seeing the looks on some of their faces, he added, "I'll feed you while you're here, and you have bedrooms prepared upstairs. Nice ones! Go ahead and take your bags and claim one. This used to be a writing school, so there's room to spare. The stairs are through there, and the door
opposite is the kitchen. There's plenty of food here, enough for weeks, so help yourselves! Fair warning, though," he added as they moved to pick up their luggage, "If you brought cell phones and such, they won't work here. Nor internet. It might be something to do with the ionic fields. And there's no phone service. I never had it installed."
Mumbling, the group trudged away.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

The Evening of the Day

After dinner, everyone was again grouped around the time machine.
"I intend to get seriously cracking on this tommorow", said Professor Inzil. "Anyone have any questions before bed?"
Several hands shot up. "Yes?" he said, pointing at skip.
"I'm not sure about this", said skip. "What if we just leave?" Others nodded in agreement.
"You can't, I'm afraid".
"Why not?", replied skip heatedly, over the sound of many murmurs.
The Professor sighed. "The only way out is the door we entered through. It's on a timer, and it won't open until the time's up."
"When will that be?", demanded Wilwa.
"Only I know", replied the Professor. "Like I said, it's all for security purposes. I've had serious threats because of the way I've been so critical of the movies. There's a lot of money tied up in them, and there are those who think I'm too outspoken. And it doesn't help that I've tried before to destroy the movie industry's ability to exploit Tolkien's work."
"What did you do?", asked Lottie.
"It isn't important. But because of those past incidents, I wanted this project to be as safe and secure as possible. There are lots of safeguards. For instance, any attempt to tamper with or destroy the machine, without first performing a small action, will likely result in a tremendous explosion." He looked at the group's faces, satisfied. "What else would you like to know"?
"What does the machine use for fuel?", asked The Elf-warrior.
Professor Inzil laughed. "Oh, I'm not telling you that just yet! It's actually made from several ingredients that are fairly cheap, and easy to come by. I've got enough for what we need to do. I can make more with no problem when necessary. Anything else? Yes?" He pointed at Nerwen.
"Where did you get the money to do all this?", she asked.
"Well, ummm..."
"And how did you figure out how to build a time machine?", inquired Boro. The Professor looked nonplussed.
"There are perfectly good answers to those questions, but I'm afraid they'll have to wait for another time. Good Night! See you all in the morning!"

IT IS NOW NIGHT 1. Wolves may discuss, Seer may send me a dream-pick.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Time To Get Down To Business

It was now very late, so late that it was early.
Professor Inzil was walking around the time machine, checking various things. Every so often he made a note for himself on his micro recorder. He went behind the apparatus and picked up a 5 gallon clear plastic container resting against the wall. Written upon it in black Sharpie marker was the word "FUEL". He carried it to the machine, to a round port curiously also marked "FUEL". He removed the canister's lid and poured the contents into a round aperture in the machine. A reddish-orange liquid flowed out. He poured the entire can into it, thinking that it would be enough for what they needed. That was the entire stock of fuel, but, as he'd told everyone, it wasn't exactly difficult to compound. He closed the Fuel Port and watched as the needle above it swung over from "DEP", which meant "depleted", over to "OPT", which meant "optimal".
He set down the can and once again took out his recorder. "Note to self," he began "Make more fuel."
Before he could press the recorder's "STOP" button, he started as he heard a stealthy sound behind him.

IT IS STILL NIGHT 1
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Time's *Not* On Our Side

The early sun was shining brightly outside, but inside the house it might as well have been midnight. No friendly sunshine pierced the walls and windows of that secret enclave in the countyside.
The "guests" (who at the moment thought of themselves more as conscripts) were walking downstairs, quietly talking of yesterday's strange events. They had seen or heard no sign of Professor Inzil since the previous evening. Some of the party went into the kitchen to find something for breakfast. Others assumed the Professor was probably in the dining room with the time machine, and went there first. Those in the kitchen heard yells from the dining room, and quickly followed their sound. What they found in the dining room was most disturbing.

The Professor lay motionless on the floor beside the machine, with many people huddled closely around him. There was drying blood on the side of his head, and a quantity of it on the floor beside.
Shasta knelt down and checked the Professor's pulse. After a few moments, he shook his head.
"He's dead!" There were several gasps.
"What happened to him?", asked Sally.
"Look! There's more blood on the edge of that console!", exclaimed Aganzir.
"That would explain how he died", said Eomer. "But how did this happen"?
A sliding sound and a "Thump!" made them all jump. They looked down, then were relieved.
"Someone kicked the Professor's little recorder, that's all", said Fea.
The idea seemed to occur to them simultaneously that it might contain clues to what had befallen the Professor, and several hands reached for the device. Greenie came up with it, and pressed "Play". The button immediately popped back up.
"It must be at the end", said Wilwa. "Rewind it." After doing so for a few moments, Greenie pressed "Play" again.
"Note to self", said the Professor's voice. "Make more fuel". Then there was a gasp.
"Oh! You startled me! What are you three doing up? Insomnia? I understand that you're eager to get this going, but you really must get some sleep. I...hey! What are you doing? Let go!"
They heard the sounds of an apparent struggle, then a "Thud" sound, followed by a more final sliding sound which told them the Professor was then going down for the count.
Footsteps could be heard walking away, more than one set. The sound of a door opening and closing, then silence.
As the group stood there, three of their number gazed upon their work with inner satisfaction.
Three others had secret thoughts of their own.

One of them thought of the dream xe'd had last night. Xe had had clairvoyant dreams before, and they'd never led xem wrong. Now, xe felt certain xe had some powerful insight to help find the killers.

A second person was torn with pity and anger. How could xe have let this happen? Xe decided then and there that xe would do whatever was in xyr power to stop whoever it was from killing again.

A third onlooker did not have such benevolent thoughts. Xe had been furious when the Professor informed them they would not be paid, and xe felt wronged. Now, dark words ran through xyr mind.
"Serves him right. He shouldn't have lied to us. Anyway, I did like the movies."
Xe made up xyr mind that even though xe wasn't willing to kill the way this had been done, xe would do what xe could to help whoever was responsible.
"Maybe they'll reward me!", xe thought.

And the rest just wondered what to do next.

IT IS NOW DAY 1. Away we go. Wolves stop PMing.

The Living
Nerwen
Pitch
Wilwa
Shasta
Sally
Lottie
Greenie
skip
Boro
The Elf-warrior
Fea
Eomer
Agan

The Dead
Professor Inzil- Head full of knowledge cracked open Night 1

Last edited by Inziladun; 08-23-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Poor Professor... I was looking forward to going back in time. Haha, looking 'forward' to go 'back'.

In any case, let's get the ball rolling, shall we? I'd like to accuse the lovely Fea for no real reason other than that she's pretty. Defend yourself!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 08-23-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I'd like to accuse the lovely Fea for no real reason other than that she's pretty. Defend yourself!
It's not my fault. I haven't even shampooed my hair in like two days. My cuticles are ragged and I'm sure my mascara's probably done that smudge-at-the-corner-of-your-eyes thing because I'm too lazy to wash my face before bed like a good human ought to do.

I'd like to blame Agan for nothing in particular and tell her specifically that I'm a wolf.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
I'd like to accuse the lovely Fea for no real reason other than that she's pretty. Defend yourself!
Ha, it amuses me that this is not the first time I've heard someone use 'she's pretty' as a reason for suspicion.

So than our situation: we're trapped in a house with a bunch of psychos who actually liked the LotR movies, and we can't just put someone in the time machine and send them back so they can see who did this, because the only one who knew how to use the machine is dead. Well....that's not so bad....at least we have food....*whimpers*

Anyway, I'll be back in the morning and should be around a lot.

x'ed with Fea, and I love that we both made Genevamoot references.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
we can't just put someone in the time machine and send them back so they can see who did this, because the only one who knew how to use the machine is dead.
Just because it'll almost certainly result in an explosion doesn't mean we can't try! After all, three of us are evil anyway - let's make them try it! So...who wants to confess?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Do you think it can be converted to be a useful teleportation machine? All these machines, time, teleport, washing, operate on the same equipment. It's just a matter of doing some re-arranging of wires.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
I doubt it, Boromir. As far as I know, the machine always stays in one place as it travels through time. Therefore, unless we have a super genius like Rodney McKay of Stargate Atlantis here, I'd say we're stuck. But remember, where there's life there's hope, and good thing we've got vittles.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior View Post
I doubt it, Boromir. As far as I know, the machine always stays in one place as it travels through time. Therefore, unless we have a super genius like Rodney McKay of Stargate Atlantis here, I'd say we're stuck. But remember, where there's life there's hope, and good thing we've got vittles.
If all we needed was a super genius, we'd be home free. As it happens, we need a super genius who we can trust - different story entirely.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Just because it'll almost certainly result in an explosion doesn't mean we can't try! After all, three of us are evil anyway - let's make them try it! So...who wants to confess?
To wolvery, or to being awesome?

Okay, you caught me. I'm pretty much amazing.

Are we lynching people for that now?

ETA: x'd since the post I quoted. And okay, okay, I get the hint. But can I rest before I hop in my TARDIS and save the Day?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
To wolvery, or to being awesome?

Okay, you caught me. I'm pretty much amazing.

Are we lynching people for that now?
Yes. ++Stan The Amazing.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Alas! How wretched it is for such a noble, if technically insane, man to meet such a diabolical end. Who are these fiends among us?

Well, I obviously didn't do it. Any chance to go back in time and alter the Wargs and the Ents to appropriate levels of awesomeness is, for me, the chance of a lifetime! Anyone else with such an alibi? We've got a whole lot of Downs movie posts to catch up on...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior View Post
No, no we'd only need to travel back to a time when Professor Inzil was still living. Or, in case he didn't believe us, back further, before he set the timer on the door. Or into the future, after it expires.

Of course, this is probably just wishful thinking– I'm sure whoever murdered him thought of this already, and has sabotaged the machine.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I'd like to blame Agan for nothing in particular and tell her specifically that I'm a wolf.
I'm a smelly armpit pickle! At least it's a good smell.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Meow

Quote:
Good, so am I. So sorry I didn't show up last night.

Quote:
Ha, it amuses me that this is not the first time I've heard someone use 'she's pretty' as a reason for suspicion.
Last time I heard it, they were wrong.

I, on the other hand, would like to blame Shasta for my own special reasons, and apologize to the rest of the village if I don't make sense - playing does feel different when you've met more than half the village in person. Also, I think Greenie's way of phrasing things looks forced, and I disagree with Fea on the significance of day 1. Oh and guess what skip? I would've finished writing this post about half an hour earlier if I hadn't got stuck watching BWO/Army of Lovers videos on Youtube. Åååååh the bells of freedom!

Anyway I would like to remind everybody that the seer's dreams can't be trusted 100% because she sees the cobbler as an ordo, even if the cobbler counts for us in the tally. Etc.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
All right folks - just to be fair I think we could cut the inside jokes. Thanks. Those and the speculation on the nature of time machines aside, what have we got? (Clue: not much. ) So, erm, I think I should now proceed to saying something noncommittal and obvious about the rules or the number of wolves or the size of the village, or else make some complex calculations. I won't.

I can't really read anything into the posts that have been posted this far, but I'm sure they'll come in handy later. This far, no one is really standing out as innocent if not over-fishy, either. The thing is, everyone is looking slightly fishy at the moment. What is more, what I've said is no more useful to the game than the inside jokes I was complaining about. Argh. I'll be back in a bit, hopefully with something to say.

Oh, and Lommy asks me to say hi from her to all of you.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Summary time

Inzil - looks like me so can't be evil. Oh wait he wasn't. Therefore, because I look like him, I can't be evil. On the contrary, I'm rather clever and might prove useful if we try to use the machine (oh where's Legate when you need him?).

Shasta - the first to post which is always a sign of wolfishness. Trying to butter Fea up, or alternatively wolfish banter.

Fea - also posts early which supports the theory of her and Shasta being wolves (they were obviously around just before the day started). Admits being a wolf, and based on past experience I'm inclined to believe her.

wilwa - either genuinely clueless or just bluffing when saying the only one who knew how to use the time machine is dead. I mean, how do you know Inzil didn't have very precise instructions written down somewhere?

Lottie - asks who wants to confess while totally ignoring the fact that Fea just did. Looks cobblerish behaviour to me. Also, who of us do you think is a super genius?

Boro - suggests we turn the time machine into a teleportation machine. And that way there's obviously no chance at all that we can go back and buy the movie rights. Wolf. His post about being a smelly armpit pickle is sure to contain secret hints, and I can only add "Yes, pickles smell fantastic, but when it comes to armpits, it depends."

Elf-Warrior - talks of other fandoms which means he can't care too much for Tolkien and doesn't therefore care whether the movies get made or not.

sally - gets the hint, which is always mighty suspicious.

Eomer - is sorry about Inzil's face. That means he's feeling guilty about it. Is very quick to defend himself and is jumpy before even accused.

Nerwen - talks about the machine being sabotaged which never occurred to me. Looks like a wolf who knows too much. However last time I played I made her mad and now I'm scared of her so I will refrain from suspecting her for now. Like, for this post.

Pitch - yay I get to play with him at last!

Greenie - as I said I think her posts look forced, as if she was just trying to look helpful without actually being.

skip - weird arguments, slightly suspicious.

GUILTY
Shasta
Fea
Boro
Eomer
Greenie
skip

Lottie (more likely the cobbler)
Elf-Warrior (more likely the cobbler)

INNOCENT
Nerwen

EITHER
wilwa
sally
Pitch

Last edited by Aganzir; 08-24-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: xed with Greenie & was right about her before even seeing her post, ha!
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
what I've said is no more useful to the game than the inside jokes I was complaining about.
I don't really think we can avoid inside jokes. I mean, the whole Barrow-Downs is full of them, and naturally WWers have even more. Now it just happens that lots of people met each other in the summer which led to more jokes for the time being. I made inside jokes when I commented on you & skip's playing styles before you had even posted, only those are jokes everyone that has been playing WW potentially knows. And if there had been a newbie playing, I wouldn't have let it stop me doing it.

Besides, even if inside jokes feel annoying, they aren't completely useless. Imagine I was the seer and dreamed of wolf!you. Not wanting the wolves to turn their attention to me, I could say "A Little Green is all innocent, truly indeed" and if Lommy was playing, she would know I wasn't quite so convinced that was the case. (That's something that has to do with our RPG.)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, I could easily lynch Agan for her poor taste in Swedish music. Or Eomer, because I'd never trust a man with a kilt (you know that whole underwear situation ). Or Fea, for wearing stilettos. No woman of honest intentions would do that. Or Greenie, for trying to make me fat. But somehow it doesn't seem fair...

So a kind request: could someone please do something suspicious before I get back from work? Okay?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #23
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Nerwen - talks about the machine being sabotaged which never occurred to me. Looks like a wolf who knows too much. However last time I played I made her mad and now I'm scared of her so I will refrain from suspecting her for now. Like, for this post.
That is all.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Or Fea, for wearing stilettos. No woman of honest intentions would do that.
I think you have the wrong word, darling. I have never been anything but completely honest about what I intend to do while wearing stilettos. I am very forthright.

Also, as a casual point to me being one of the first posters, you realize that the DL is at the exact time I'm most likely to be curled up in bed in my pajamas, cuddling my lap top every night? It's habitual. By around 8:30, I'm hanging out in bed doing schoolwork or messing around online, and my doggy conks out on the floor next to my bed. So yep, I'll probably be around at DL most of the time.

Agan, darling, I see what you've done there with your list of guilty and innocent. I'm amused. You seem to have left yourself off the list entirely. But then, you already said you were a wolf.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #25
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Okay, I could easily lynch Agan for her poor taste in Swedish music.
It was Lommy's fault! Last night I witnessed how her opinion on Army of Lovers changed from "they're horrible!" to "I can't stop watching this video!"

Quote:
So a kind request: could someone please do something suspicious before I get back from work? Okay?
I'm a wolf rawrrr! Happy?
Seriously though, I really don't like it when people complain about no one acting suspiciously enough. Many people seem to find it more difficult to come up with suspicions when they're wolves themselves (I, however, am not one of those people - I always find suspecting others easy). It's just something I've seen.

Quote:
So yep, I'll probably be around at DL most of the time.
Ahhaa the wolf is giving excuses for being online at deadline! Tsk tsk.

Quote:
I'm amused. You seem to have left yourself off the list entirely.
I considered listing myself under the Innocent headline but figured my list would appear more objective if I didn't include myself, and because these are serious matters it's best not to play around too much.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #26
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
All right folks - just to be fair I think we could cut the inside jokes.
Why are you rubbing the back my head so evilly!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Shasta - the first to post which is always a sign of wolfishness. Trying to butter Fea up, or alternatively wolfish banter.
Shasta butters you up just by looking at you!

Quote:
His post about being a smelly armpit pickle is sure to contain secret hints, and I can only add "Yes, pickles smell fantastic, but when it comes to armpits, it depends."
Armpits are ordinary (if shaved).
Pickles are ordinary food items.
My armpit pickle smells pleasant.
Get the hint now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Also, as a casual point to me being one of the first posters, you realize that the DL is at the exact time I'm most likely to be curled up in bed in my pajamas, cuddling my lap top every night? It's habitual. By around 8:30, I'm hanging out in bed doing schoolwork or messing around online, and my doggy conks out on the floor next to my bed. So yep, I'll probably be around at DL most of the time.
That is a rather...exhaustive...explanation if all you're saying is that you will probably be around at the DL most of the time.

Time for my own exhaustive explanation of how I went the wrong way. DL works more perfect than I thought. When our cracked professor gave the GMT time, I added 4 hours, thinking...shoot this is going to mean DL is 5 am for me, looks like somewhat early voting. However, I needed to subtract!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
[IC]This situation seems all too familiar somehow. When will I ever learn not to accept invitations by mysterious Tolkien enthusiasts? The last one turned out to be a former Vala out of BoLT in disguise, this time we've got your typical mad scientist (although his intentions were certainly laudable, don't get me wrong) - what's next?
As for finding the culprits, isn't it blatantly obvious? I mean, who would have the best motive to stop the Professor from accomplishing his plan - who but the hellish triumvirate that was responsible for those wretched movies and made loads of money by mangling Tolkien's plot and characters? No idea how they managed to sneak in here, but they must still be in this house - so let's find them and see that justice is done for this crime and their many others. This is our chance to at least make sure that Peter Jackson won't direct The Hobbit![/IC]

OK, what have we got?
- Shasta is guilty of making lame jokes;
- Fea and Agan have both confessed to being wolves, trusting that we'll dismiss that as inside jokes; shame on whoever thinks of signalling to the cobbler, I suppose?
- Greenie says she won't say something obvious and noncommittal and with her next breath does exactly that;
- Lottie's untypically laid back and non-pot-stirring;
- Nerwen, on the other hand, is typically laid back and inscrutable;
- wilwa doesn't really say much, but doesn't display the fake optimism which is her wolvish trademark;
- sally confesses to being amazing (which tells us nothing new) and gets mysterious hints;
- Eomer uses Downs movie posts as an alibi, which is plain meta-reasoning;
- Boro apparently is an armpit pickle with a degree in engineering, quite an enigma;
- TEW watches too much TV and is blandly optimistic;
- skip seems content to banter and wait for things to happen.
So where do we go from here?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To clarify, before this "I get the hint" thing gets too out of hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
If all we needed was a super genius, we'd be home free. As it happens, we need a super genius who we can trust - different story entirely.
I was replying to that, hence my request that I sleep before I save the world.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'll have to vote now as I'm not sure I'll be back later. Yeah, it'll be my worst ever Day One participation but there you go. I might be able to nip in again right before DL.

But let's get a vote on the table, and get the discussion flowing, eh?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #30
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

++A Little Green

Her post seemed the most obviously nice and 'let's get down to business'y - obviously something a wolf could do to look respectable and not overly jokey.

Yeah, it's a snap decision.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #31
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
To clarify, before this "I get the hint" thing gets too out of hand....
Haha, we're all just so used to you with all your 'I know something you don't know' and other such hintings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
All right folks - just to be fair I think we could cut the inside jokes. Thanks. Those and the speculation on the nature of time machines aside, what have we got? (Clue: not much. ) So, erm, I think I should now proceed to saying something noncommittal and obvious about the rules or the number of wolves or the size of the village, or else make some complex calculations. I won't.
Aww, but those are all the things that make Day 1s oh so much fun. And if we had a game with a time machine and no one bantered about it, I'd be very disappointed, cause time machines rock.

But seriousness than. I think Eomer's vote is pretty good (not that I necessarily agree with it). But usually votes this early in the game are just random or based off some strange meta reasoning, but he actually had a legitimate reason, and I approve.

And I agree with this:

Quote:
Seriously though, I really don't like it when people complain about no one acting suspiciously enough. Many people seem to find it more difficult to come up with suspicions when they're wolves themselves.
Though on Day 1s I tend to be more understanding of lack of suspicions (since sometimes not much happens), but Day 2 and on, it's definitely fishy if someone has no suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Lottie's untypically laid back and non-pot-stirring
And there was no song, I miss Lottiepop's songs. She should do this one.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #32
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I have never been anything but completely honest about what I intend to do while wearing stilettos.
Trying to walk relatively straight and upright? Or perhaps sitting down with the shoes in sight, preferably?
Quote:
I am very forthright.
Yes, admitting to being a wolf is indeed very forthright, dear. Or did you think that would make us think that you are not?
Quote:
It was Lommy's fault! Last night I witnessed how her opinion on Army of Lovers changed from "they're horrible!" to "I can't stop watching this video!"
Yes, I'm sure you are just an innocent victim of circumstances beyond your control.
Quote:
I'm a wolf rawrrr! Happy?
Yes. Two down, one to go.

Eomer's
vote is interesting, kind of. Did seem like an innocentish reason, not saying the hunch is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior
But remember, where there's life there's hope, and good thing we've got vittles.
Who exactly has got... vittles?

I'll go out for a bit soonish but should be back in maybe 4-6 hours!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #33
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Trying to walk relatively straight and upright? Or perhaps sitting down with the shoes in sight, preferably?
Sitting down. Some shoes are made for walking, and that's just what they do, but if you wear stilettos, they'll walk all over you... if you don't sit down. With the shoes in sight. Occasionally one can pull of standing around in a museum or gallery, or perhaps cocktail party, wherein one is not expected to walk a great deal and can concentrate fully on balance and posture.

Quote:
Yes. Two down, one to go.
Ah, therein lies the rub. Who's the third? (And the first and second?)
Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #34
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
One of those reasons has got to be 'who but a wolf could fit thirty little green grapes in between their jaws!', right?

No?

Okay then.

Moving on.

Greenie has been really the only one to try and get things moving - I probably won't vote for her today. I could easily vote for Lottie, though - she's said next to nothing which is entirely unlike her.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #35
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Yes, admitting to being a wolf is indeed very forthright, dear. Or did you think that would make us think that you are not?
You are thinking too simplistically, my friend. If either of the parties claiming to be wolves are, in fact, wolves, it'd be more like a quadruple-bluff. At least. You see, it's not that saying "I'm a wolf" makes you look innocent because a wolf wouldn't say that. It's more like because everyone knows a wolf might say it as a double-bluff, but then again probably wouldn't, just because everyone knows about double-bluffing. Which once again gives the wolf a reason to say it. Etc, etc.

Mind you, no matter what stage of this infinite regression of bluffing we happen to be at, in the end a player is either a wolf or not.

EDIT:X'd with the fire of my heart.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

She for whom the moon doth shine, what dost thou think of Eomer's vote?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #37
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Armpits are ordinary (if shaved).
Pickles are ordinary food items.
My armpit pickle smells pleasant.
Get the hint now?
Boro's armpits last time I saw them = not shaved = not ordinary.
And some people find pickles extremely bad. Like Greenie (at least I seem to remember she didn't want to eat one so she gave it to me a few days ago). I think they're good though.
So yes I think I get the hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Fea and Agan have both confessed to being wolves, trusting that we'll dismiss that as inside jokes; shame on whoever thinks of signalling to the cobbler, I suppose?
Of course I can't speak for Fea, but what I'm doing (besides having fun) is making things more difficult for the cobbler. If everybody keeps telling they're wolves it will be more difficult for her to spot the real ones. Not that she's too likely to succeed in that, anyway, as she doesn't have a way to contact them in secret, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Her post seemed the most obviously nice and 'let's get down to business'y - obviously something a wolf could do to look respectable and not overly jokey.
Actually, she's always more or less like that, and that's why I always suspect her. (Usually I turn out to be wrong.) But she's definitely one of the easier suspects...

Quote:
But seriousness than. I think Eomer's vote is pretty good (not that I necessarily agree with it). But usually votes this early in the game are just random or based off some strange meta reasoning, but he actually had a legitimate reason, and I approve.
I don't think it was particularly good-looking because as I said Greenie's style makes her quite easy to suspect, but then I do acknowledge it's only day 1 and he had to vote early.

Quote:
Though on Day 1s I tend to be more understanding of lack of suspicions (since sometimes not much happens), but Day 2 and on, it's definitely fishy if someone has no suspects.
Exactly. And it's not only the fact that he didn't have suspects but he was also kind of flaunting it - saying "please could you be more suspicious so I have an excuse to suspect you" is always very apologetic, as if he thinks if he's the first to point out he doesn't have suspects, others will not accuse him of it.
However I also came to think it might be the cobbler's hint to the wolves: "Could you do something to help me identify you? Pretty please?"

Quote:
One of those reasons has got to be 'who but a wolf could fit thirty little green grapes in between their jaws!', right?
Now that you mention it, maybe, but I was rather thinking you might not want to hurt Peter Jackson (unless he wanted it).

Last edited by Aganzir; 08-24-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: xed with Nerwen & Shasta
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #38
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
I don't really think we can avoid inside jokes. I mean, the whole Barrow-Downs is full of them, and naturally WWers have even more. Now it just happens that lots of people met each other in the summer which led to more jokes for the time being. I made inside jokes when I commented on you & skip's playing styles before you had even posted, only those are jokes everyone that has been playing WW potentially knows. And if there had been a newbie playing, I wouldn't have let it stop me doing it.
Of course we can't completely avoid inside jokes, they are bound to come up and it isn't a problem if they do, but I just think there were a little too many of them around and it wasn't really fair anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
Agreed, his vote looks reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan, about Eomer's vote
I don't think it was particularly good-looking because as I said Greenie's style makes her quite easy to suspect, but then I do acknowledge it's only day 1 and he had to vote early.
Really? Generally I tend to get Night-killed for not being suspected by anyone at all. And seriously, I've never heard anyone say my style makes me an easy suspect. Therefore I'm not sure I buy your argument, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Greenie has been really the only one to try and get things moving - I probably won't vote for her today. I could easily vote for Lottie, though - she's said next to nothing which is entirely unlike her.
Ah, I disagree about both myself and Lottie. My effort at giving the village a nudge forwards was abysmal; and as for Lottie, well she admittedly hasn't said much on topic but who had, at the point when she posted? Why single her out? Is it that unusual for her to banter super early on Day 1 when nothing has really happened yet?

Just in general, then. I agree with Wilwa a lot and disagree with Agan a lot. Old news? Ploughing on, then - Pitch's post made me chuckle aloud at my screen, but apart from summarising everyone else's more or less unfruitful contributions to the game it didn't really say much. Eomer looks pretty innocentish. My hunch would say the same about Shasta, but then again I've long ago lost count of the times a Shastawolf has fooled me completely and I have sworn never to trust him again..
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #39
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmm, that was a hasty vote by Eomer, based on a single post, but that post basically said nothing very substantial in a self-conscious way, so I think I see where he's coming from.

On the other hand, I'm still worrying about those possibly multiple-bluffing "I'm-a-wolf" jokes by Fea and Agan - especially Fea, who seems to think that writing a user manual for stilettos is of paramount importance, compared to the trivial matter of wolf-catching (yes, I know, it's all very much like her - so what?); Agan slightly less, as she has at least bothered to give some half flippant / half serious opinions on the rest of the world.

skip is still walking the line between inside banter and getting on topic game-wise... I probably won't be awake when he comes back, so I hope I'll hear more from him toMorrow.

wilwa is getting more involved and looks OK so far.

No read on Shasta and Nerwen yet. And finally, there's an appalling amount of people dozing under my caribou (sally, Lottie, Boro, TEW - OK, only four, but that's enough). This is some quiet village.

EDIT: x-ed since #36.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #40
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Of course I can't speak for Fea, but what I'm doing (besides having fun) is making things more difficult for the cobbler. If everybody keeps telling they're wolves it will be more difficult for her to spot the real ones. Not that she's too likely to succeed in that, anyway, as she doesn't have a way to contact them in secret, but still.
Quite an interesting strategy, because from your first post I was going to ask if your putting in an application for cobblery. I didn't think about doing that.

In Fea's case, impossible to tell. Because just when I have the fortitude to declare, yep this time she's an ordo who's just attempting to entertain and have some fun, she winds up a wolf. In your case, you are looking innocent in comparison to Fea's "I have no clue." Also, you clearly want to take the lead in this game, which makes me smile, because if innocent this is good news for us, if a wolf, I will catch you slip soon enough and you know it.

My computer wants to go into update and run virus scan mode, it always starts up at around this time. It's going along very sluggishly, so for now will have to go into a sketchy, unlit corner, until it finishes.

Edit: crossed with Pitch and Greenie