Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #521
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ok hummmm. I've been going by a google map of M.E and this is what I thought we would do. We would cross the bridge of Stonebow (I think it is called) We would be heading North from Brandyhall till we get to the bridge. Then we would cross it, which brings us closer to Stock.
I figured the Hobbits would then need to turn North and cross the river that way. Because we would want to be on the left side of the river, travelling North. I don't think there is a bridge farther up that we could cross to get on the left hand side. I'm not sure how the river would be by the bridge to cross, but it may be our best bet, so if anyone has any ideas as to how to proceed...please share.
I will make time today and get us on our way. Also we may be needing to figure out how fast we would travel and how to move us along in days going the appropriate distance. I will have us cross the bridge, but when exactly do you think we would get there? would it take more than a few hours? or less? I will bring us across and present us with the problem of crossing North. Hope this all made some sense....
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #522
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh silly me, yes, I know now... it's the other name for the Brandywine Bridge, is it? That's exactly my problem, I don't know the Shire toponymes in English I know it as "The Bridge of Stone Arcs" or something like that, so I was all the time wondering what kind of place did you make up
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #523
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Stonebow Inn is on the west side of the Brandywine River, so the travelers are already across the Brandywine, on the west side; which means they're in the Shire proper (no longer in Buckland).

According to a detailed map I have, The Water empties into the Brandywine a mere mile north of the Great East Road, and may or may not be fordable, depending upon how creative we want to be. However, ten miles west of the Bridge, is the road to Budgeford, on which one passes over a bridge to cross The Water. Once through Budgeford, it's about a dozen miles to Scary, after which one can take the northeast road for about 2 miles to Quarry, which appears to be a village instead of an actual quarry, best as I can figure. North of Quarry one can cross over fields for about 15 miles and eventually come to Dwaling. North of Dwaling are The North Moors. However, just about 6 miles along the westward road out of Dwaling toward Long Cleeve is a little burg simply called "camp". That might be interesting. So there are some options. Notice that from the Great East Road to The North Moors it's a good 25 miles. That's 2 days' journey, especially for adventuresome and frolicking hobbits. Brown might get frustrated with the slow pace, I might imagine.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #524
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

The Eye

Ok I was going to post, but LMP's info changed it around a bit on me. So I was thinking of having us cross the way North and then stop us for the night. any objections to this let me know....I will post tonight hopefully or tomorrow morning..
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #525
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

sigh....sorry everyone. I've been very busy. I will try my hardest to get a post up soon. But really I need not be me that posts.....someone else can post. Actually I think others should post or it's going to be a very quiet trip.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #526
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll post a 'traveling" post, except I'm not sure what you meant in your last post here, about what direction we're traveling. Do you mean that we're going cross-country, or following the road to Budgeford, Quarry and Dwaling?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #527
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I guess we will follow the road across the river near bugeford then North from there. Does that sound right? Like you LMP suggested in your previous post.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #528
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
I guess we will follow the road across the river near bugeford then North from there. Does that sound right? Like you LMP suggested in your previous post.
That means, through Whitfurrows, where the company turns northwards?

In any case, looks like I'd better gear up...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #529
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Question

Hey, hey, whoa, wait, elempi, what was that? I don't stand on it, of course, and I may join later, but I imagined it quite differently... you covered many miles' and a day's walk in just a few lines... hey, I imagined that it will be longer and that I am going to join you in the fields even BEFORE Whitfurrows... and you not only came into it, but have already passed it! Whoa, whoa! If it's like that, I would prefer putting in my own narration between it, please...

EDIT (to avoid double-posting): That is: is no one going to add anything else before the party enters the fields? If not, then I would probably ask you, lmp, to remove the last lines of your post (after the paragraph ending "...all of them.") and then I will add my own post. That's probably the best way it could be done.

EDIT 2: All right, I have already written a large part of the post, where I am simply counting with that elempi is going to remove the lines I mentioned above and that no one wants to add anything between it. I am leaving now, but will be back in the evening (in some six hours at maximum), and I hope to post it today, or if not, then tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-22-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #530
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Post altered as requested. I've added a bit about Snatch nosing your character out without knowing anything about him. Have a look-see.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #531
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Post altered as requested. I've added a bit about Snatch nosing your character out without knowing anything about him. Have a look-see.
Thanks Hm, I have already written something that would fit better with the original unaltered text (after you removed that end), anyway... I will simply post what I have as soon as I have it complete...
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #532
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Done! The group has now another person following them.

I'm going to leave to you what to do in this situation, or who will react, if they will react - if someone had noticed that a person who went another direction is now at their heels again; if anyone is going to wonder if and/or why the person is following the group... Decide based upon your characters, if you think they would spot it, and how they would react (tell that to others, or do something themselves, or just observe). Even if no one reacts, the strange character will simply keep following them, so it will ultimately culminate - sooner or later.

I kept the portrayal of my character intentionally vague, he is not known to the other characters and so what is written about him is only a little more than what the others can really know about him. This way also, the potential reactions of your characters on him can be more "natural".
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #533
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Legate, you sure have been champing at the bit, haven't you. A very interesting post!

One minor point: if Gaffer Hugo looks back in alarm at your hobbit, that's out of character for him. He might be a little curious, but not alarmed.

This is getting funner all the time.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #534
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll be posting soon... I hope to at least. I'll try to fit one in tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #535
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
One minor point: if Gaffer Hugo looks back in alarm at your hobbit, that's out of character for him. He might be a little curious, but not alarmed.
Oh, thanks for pointing it out, I was struggling a bit with that moment. It was not supposed to be about Hugo, it was supposed to be about my character's expression. I have to put some clarifying pronoun or something in there... or actually rather not pronoun... to make sure who are we talking about there... hm...

But yes, at last, the first post
Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #536
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Great to have Legate in the game at last, especially as his post was so good.

I'll post when I have proper time for it - when is that, I don't know...

And by the way, does anybody have any idea about Kitanna's whereabouts?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #537
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
I'll be posting soon... I hope to at least. I'll try to fit one in tomorrow.
Good! I'm looking forward to more from Mira. Gaffer Hugo wants to get to know his granddaughter better.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #538
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Turns out I can't get around to it, and I'm going out of town for the weekend where I will probably have no internet access. So Sunday it must be. And I will stay up late if necassary, to get up a post.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #539
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

just to let everyone know I'm having computer security problems at the moment. I can only sign in briefly for at least a few days. I will try and get a post up, but it may have to be a short one.

Where is everyone else? Are we all super busy these days?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #540
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I'm ready to put up a post whenever, but I'm not sure where to take things after Legate's. So I was going to wait and see before doing anything. Though for the sake of moving things along I may just wing it and write a short post.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #541
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Winging it is good! I do it all the time.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #542
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

How do we want to handle the next step? Stay at the inn at Budgeford? Will "the traveler" - - "just happen to" stay at the same inn for the night? Or do we just want to narrate that small step and move on to the next day, and have the travelers get more suspicious of their "tailer" all the more as the day wears on?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #543
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Either way. Just narrating the inn and moving on to the next day would help pick up the pace of the game a bit, but actually playing through it would be a lot of fun. I don't care which we do.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #544
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think, in the interest of moving forward, there be a narrative post regarding the inn and then we move on to the next day where we can meet the "stranger" on the road.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #545
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Do whatever you wish, the ball is on your side. If you just narrate the inn, "the traveler" will stick to you and actually try to follow you even the next day. Or as I said, someone may already notice the traveler now, and it may be like "Look, that fella seems to follow us!" and some braver member may go and simply interrogate him what the heck is he doing, or whatever you think of.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #546
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well I'd meant to narrate them right out of Budgeford and into The Bridge Fields, but it didn't work out that way. So I guess I've tacked in between, as it were.

Gwathagor, you're up next.

Incidentally, I've changed the ending of post #71 to fit better with #72.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #547
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice Let's see which way this will go

And it's good things keep moving... (not that I am pushing on anything, but sometimes this game seemed somewhat sleepy, at the times when I was just reading it)
Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #548
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Back to either Gwath or Boro.

Unless one of you ladies wants to get in on this.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-28-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #549
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Looks like it had better be Rudy, Boro.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #550
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Not a problem, I can get a post finished today.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #551
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

you know Bunny will have something to add to the fray. I will have her approach the wayward stranger in the inn.

EDIT: Ok so I went ahead and posted.....

Last edited by Valier; 04-28-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #552
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, now this is funny... Legate then should post next?

So, so, so, sorry for not getting up a post. I went to bed early last night with a headache and tight muscles, and am working on getting back on track. My out of town trip was slightly more tasking than I had thought it would be. (And we spent a few more hours in the car then we should of, but that's not my fault, I wasn't driving..)

I'll try to get a post up soon, but I have to go freeze some strawberries at present, then I'll come back reveiw the situation, and see what I can do.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #553
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Rudy wanted to know this hobbit's business...hopefully neither mind him butting in.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #554
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finduilas wishes me to tell you that she was going to post tonight, but I kept her from the computer (by sitting in the chair and using the mouse and keyboard) and therefore she could not. I hope you will forgive me and be patient until she posts tomorrow sometime.

Thank you.

-- Folwren
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #555
Kitanna
Child of the West

I've put up a post since I feel guilty about not posting in a while and it is high time Peony make a comment on what is happening. I should be able to fill the save tomorrow after I have caught up on the last few posts.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #556
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Boro, do I detect a reference to The Borrowers in your post, or is it my imagination?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #557
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll write something when I have time and when there's a suitable situation for me to do so ie not right now for example. This could mean Thursday or more probably Friday...

And I also have to say that I've enjoyed the recent posts a lot and am looking forward to see what happens next.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #558
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

When we get to the end of this rpg, Bunny MUST trip over an Entwife's toe, should the party find one.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #559
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Whoa, fantastic! Now that's what I call action Great posts, everybody. I won't have time to post right now, but hopefully tomorrow or on Thursday at most I will have time. Great!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #560
Kitanna
Child of the West

Well, I've filled my save. I tried to engage the girls, at least Peony, in Brown and Hugo's talk about the stranger.