The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2003, 12:24 PM   #121
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL - I doubt it would help me un-confuse you since it's still a blur in my own head! <P>But you make a good point about the webs. I was assuming that he wouldn't be draped in them until after Shelob tried to wrap him up but it is definitely possible that they fell on his while he was cutting them down from the passage out.<P>And your point about the waistcoat is also a good one - I never considered that it could be a publicity shot.<P>OK - I feel a little better now. You're my hero again, dear H.C. I knew if anyone could wrap their brain around my dilemna and assuage my fears it would be you!! Thank you, sir!
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM   #122
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks. I think the fog is clearing.<P>If in doubt I find this picture makes me feel better about the whole Shelob bit.<P><A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/lotr2_saminshelobslair.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/lotr2_sami nshelobslair.jpg</A><P>H.C.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:42 PM   #123
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
This is leading me to believe that the fabulously written Shelob scene will be hacked unmercifully and that Frodo will not be stung or taken to the Tower by the orcs at all.
They won't cut out the scene with Shelob. Remember the foreshadowing scene with Gollum at the end of TTT?

Last edited by Brinniel; 04-15-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:37 AM   #124
Aratlithiel
Wight

Sting

I'm not worried that they'll cut it entirely - the pic of Sam wielding the Phial and Sting assures me of that. I'm only concerned that they'll chop it up into little pieces and make it PJ's fanfic version like so many other good scenes that could have been done better if they'd held true to the book. If this scene is done true to Tolkien and done well, I will forgive every other act of butchery in all of the films. I guess I'll just have to wait and see like everyone else.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #125
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

<P>Mondieu, he's clean!!<P> <P>He's tall!!!<P>I Love spoilers!!!
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 05:35 PM   #126
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm only concerned that they'll chop it up into little pieces and make it PJ's fanfic version like so many other good scenes that could have been done better if they'd held true to the book. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No reason to. I see the Shelob scene working very well on screen (and being very much to Jackson's tastes) just as it's written.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:41 PM   #127
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I like that last picture, Aina. I've always enjoyed viewing behind the set photos.

More spoilers:

This one may disappoint some.
Quote:
"I know Lawrence Makoare and Sala Baker are both supposed to have been doing work as the Witch King in the final battle with Eowyn - and she mentioned they'd be reshooting a lot of it, so that could explain at least some of Baker's work [Sala's presence at reshoots have been mentioned in recent news - T] "She also mentioned not holding out too much hope that much of the Houses Of The Healing would appear. Apparently the romance between Eowyn and Faramir, although definitely present, has been down-played somewhat. She seemed disappointed but said, 'well something has to make way - there's a lot of story to cover in the last film.'"
Confirmation for length of movie.
Quote:
According to the biggest newspaper here in Norway, the running time of ROTK will be 3 h 10 min. PJ is working to make his first 4 hour cut into a 3 h 10 min cut. It is confirmed in the article by the LOTR distributor in Norway, SF Norway.

Last edited by Brinniel; 04-15-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:06 AM   #128
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1054369145" TARGET=_blank>Interview with Peter Jackson</A><BR>Interesting interview, but here are a few spoilerish quotes.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> At this point, we don't have Ghân-buri-Ghân, the Wild Man that the Rohirrim come across on their way to Minas Tirith in there. I don't know if this will change with us doing pickups, but I doubt it.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We only meet one new character, which is Denethor — and he's only new to these who don't check out TT extended cut in November! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Seemingly varifying the Faramir-Boromir-Denethor flash back for the special edition TTT.<P>Editted to add: <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/803" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is an article from a french magazine. My wife read it for me and the one spoilish piece that I recall (a full translation may help) is Andy Serkis once again saying Peter Jackson told him the Seagol-Deagol will be in RotK.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 06-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #129
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I love the behind the scenes too Brinniel,<BR>if you've read the Movie guide there is that one picture with Gandalf and Saruman walking and PJ walking beside them. It looks just too wierd to have real people mixed in, but it kind of brings back the reality.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #130
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1054550864" TARGET=_blank>Here is a translation</A> of the above mentioned french article thanks to the folks at OneRing.<P>H.C.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:42 AM   #131
Aratlithiel
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I see the Shelob scene working very well on screen (and being very much to Jackson's tastes) just as it's written. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, my Saucy friend, but Frodo standing up to the Ringwraiths would have worked too and we all know how that went!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:45 AM   #132
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Maybe Arwen will show up to fight Shelob. <P>H.C.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #133
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

The website of the UK TV station, channel 4, has out up some pictures from RotK. Most of them I have seen before (mainly on this thread), but this one is new to me:<P> <P>Quite clearly, this is Frodo in Shelob's lair, covered in webs (presumably from hacking through them with Sting). But I am not so sure that the formation that he is standing next to is part of the cave. It is covered in webs, looks slightly organic, and I am sure that I can make out a skull in it (about level with Frodo's waist). So I was wondering whether it might be the web-covered mass of Shelob's past victims ...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:07 AM   #134
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Ewww!!! <P>Could be. The other thing to note is that Frodo doesn't appear to have Sting. In the book Frodo drops the sword when he is attacked from behind by Shelob, yet here he hasn't been attacked yet but doesn't have Sting. In a slight change, perhaps he passes Sting to Sam to hack through the webs. Or maybe Frodo has just squeezed through while Sam needs to expand the opening a smidge more for his slightly more ample frame.<P>Could this be only moments before the attack?<P>H.C.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:42 PM   #135
Sparks

Thumbs up

Actually there have been lots of spoilers going around. If you go to Bolt.com (you have to be a memeber) and search around the clubs about LOTR you'll find that many have spoilers and the majority of them come from theonering.net or lordoftherings.com or .net I actually don't remember.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #136
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1055138350" TARGET=_blank>AICN Spy Report at OneRing</A><P>This will likely spawn rampant speculation.<P>Here's a quote.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It was a scene where Elrond comes into Aragorn's tent wearing a hooded cape that kept his face hidden in darkness. Jackson shot the scene a dozen times at least. In this scene Hugo slowly and with a certain amount of drama removes the hood from his face to seriously talk with Viggo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There are some guesses at OneRing as to what this means but my guess is that the scene is on the road back from Isengard. A king would have tents and if you watch Jackson's acceptance speech there are trees in the background, which to me doesn't sound like Pelennor Fields.<P>I guess Elrond is out looking for his runaway daughter.<P>Editted to add: This makes me laugh though.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> they ran thru it all for one final take with Elrond stepping into the scene face hidden from the view of all in attendance, buuuuuut this time when he slowly exposes his face he had on a pair of his patented "Mr. Smith" sunglasses and says something along the line of, "Join with the MATRIX, Mr. Aragorn" in his best deadpan delivery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can only imagine this with Weaving using that wacky G-man robot voice of his. Sounds like one for a blooper reel.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 06-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #137
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

The report talks of Viggo having his "scruffy unkempt beard" in the scene with Elrond. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks like Aragorn turns up to the Pelennor looking less scruffy than he has previously (ie more kingly). If so, that too suggests that this is on the road back from Isengard (or at least some time prior to the Paths of the Dead).
Old 06-12-2003, 08:02 AM   #138
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<A HREF="http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=253" TARGET=_blank>New stuff</A> from OneRing.<P>Most of it is pretty old news, but I especially like this quote.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf, says the scene where Sam (Sean Astin) kisses Frodo's (Elijah Wood) forehead after he saves him from Shelob's lair is likely to make it to the big screen.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Better bring lots of Kleenex.<P>And <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1055387875" TARGET=_blank>this</A> which, as mentioned at the link, needs to be taken with several heepings of salt but it puts Aragorn, Arwen and Elrond together in a tent on the road back from Isengard.<P>Although the nature of the post does make me suspicious of this particular "extra", what he says does make some degree of sense. Many of us are guessing Arwen brings Anduril to Aragorn and a different report puts Elrond there. Combining this into one meeting makes sense or else it becomes a pretty busy night.<P>1. Pippin/Gandalf/Palantir incident.<BR>2. Arwen delivers sword.<BR>3. Elrond shows up chasing Arwen.<P>I would still strongly suspect that Elrond and Arwen would leave for Lothlorien after this scene.<P>H.C.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #139
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Oooh, USA Today reveals some of what is in TTT EE. Im not sure if you have heard this yet but here ya go! <P><A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-06-11-rings_x.htm" TARGET=_blank>USA TODAY</A>

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #140
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Sounds good!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #141
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Sting

Here's alot more pics of TTT Extended version! scroll down for the pics<A HREF="http://www.dailydigest.net/tttdeletedscenes.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dailydigest.net/tttdeletedscenes.html</A>
Old 06-13-2003, 05:57 AM   #142
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<I>U.S.A. Today</I> gave a rundown of what will be in the extended version in yesterday's edition. Apparently P.J. gave a preview screening to them in Wellington. Don't know if other papers got the "scoop" <P>Most of it is already known, or guessed, here, but there are a few other moments between Aragorn and Eowyn that are mentioned.<P>You can read it all here: <A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030612/5235961s.htm" TARGET=_blank>Boromir Lives!</A>
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:28 AM   #143
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh man that pic of Smeagol with his precious was awsome! I just can't wait till this christmas!!!!!!!!!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #144
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://Ringbearer.org" TARGET=_blank>Ringbearer.org</A> brought up this bit of news:<P>A spoiler by AICN .....<P><I>"News about Jackson projects is increasingly hard to come by, but this tidbit came my way recently: WETA techie's are currently churning out thousands of human skulls for an avalanche sequence they’re about to shoot for RETURN OF THE KING. Rumour is that it takes place during Aragorn’s journey into the Paths of the Dead. "</I> <P>Oh goody. <BR>~M
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #145
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/adisplay_e3rotkimages.htm" TARGET=_blank>Quessential Websites</A> has just recently put out ROTK pictures showed at what they called "E3". Some of these pictures are old, but quite a few on the 3 pages I looked at are new. They also give a stunning picture of how Ted Nasmith pictures the Paths of the Dead scene. {Possibility on what the movie will look like.}<P>The pictures are a bit fuzzy, but not that you can't see them. The website says that they hope that these pictures will come out at a later time in a better quality. Just wanted to let everyone know. <P>Oh, and there are also a few pictures of Gandalf bringing Pippin to Minas Tirith. It's a far away shot, but you can still see them very well.<p>[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:33 AM   #146
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just reviving this for posters on 'What's the worst that could happen?'. Here you go...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #147
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

This photo is definitely a spolier. It is a photo that is from ROTK, and it is also from after everything that we know about goes on. It is a picture of the four hobbits. It is kind of dark, and details are hard to see, but it definitely tugs on the heartstrings of fans everywhere...<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/8117" TARGET=_blank>TheOneRing.net</A>
Old 08-30-2003, 02:53 AM   #148
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Quite clearly, this is Frodo in Shelob's lair, covered in webs (presumably from hacking through them with Sting). But I am not so sure that the formation that he is standing next to is part of the cave. It is covered in webs, looks slightly organic, and I am sure that I can make out a skull in it (about level with Frodo's waist). So I was wondering whether it might be the web-covered mass of Shelob's past victims ... <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HC, I took a look at that picture (enlarged it), you are right, it is a skull. I wish that I had the ability to post it.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 08:56 AM   #149
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gorwingel, that is a GREAT picture! It is exactly what I have been looking for for years now! Oh my, now I REALLY can't wait until the movie comes out again. I can already see the tears coming when they look over Hobbiton for the first time since they left. Oh, it's going to be sooo good. I cannot wait! Thank you, Gorwingel!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote