The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2002, 05:29 PM   #81
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought the Ents were pretty cool, but I think the made them a little to skinny and their legs are too long. But thier faces are great!!!!!!! And treebeard's voice rocked!!! <P><BR>But I really really LOVED Aragorn!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is soooo awesome!! He is the best in my opinion!!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:58 PM   #82
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Durelin, I TOTALLY agree!!!!!!!!! I shall indeed join you on this Quest!<BR>It is my opinion that the books and movies should be looked at and rated separately! YES! THIS IS THE 21st CENTURY! To get the people to enjoy the movies, you'll have to change them some! And I'm not saying anything bad about the books! I've read them four times and am on my fifth. They're my favorites! But same with the movies! I almost look at them (the movies) as a way to get the book-deprived public back into reading these books! I myself would never have picked them up had I not heard that these "great-sounding movies" were coming out!
Old 12-29-2002, 11:26 AM   #83
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Tee-hee! Count me in, I loved that movie! I can't wait to see it again! I loved Shadowfax, he was amazing!
Old 12-29-2002, 02:38 PM   #84
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

ME TOO!! I'M GONING TO SEE THE RETURN OF THE KING ON OPENING DAY!! EVEN IF AFTERWARDS I FALL ASLEEP IN CLASS <P>----------------------------------<BR>"And who are you? His bodyguard?" ~Faramir~<BR>"His gardener" ~Sam~
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:41 PM   #85
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Wow! It's great to see so many members! I was just reflecting on the movie (huh? I'm trying to be smart!), I was thinking about impressive scenes. One I thought was impressive was the Elves marching into Helms Deep, and the Easterlings into Mordor. I don't know, I 'm into marching...yeah...marching...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #86
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I think I have a knew friend, PeregrinTook- YOU ROCK! You are the first person to actually say that you agree with many of the things I said originally! Cool. Glad you understand my reasoning. Maybe no one else does...I don't always get my thoughts out correctly, anyway, three pages and still going! Yay! Yay! Yay! I just want to thank everyone who has joined and expressed their opinions! Thankyou very much to everyone!<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-29-2002, 07:28 PM   #87
Alakhriveion TMA
Pile O'Bones

Alakhriveion TMA has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alakhriveion TMA
Tolkien

Sorry to Nay-say, but I thought the tTT movie was about 30 steps down from FotR. If not that, then the increadable changes from the book that made me very, very angry at Peter Jackson for making hte movie this way. However, I must admit I like the way he did Gollum's split personality scene. Very Green Goblin.
Alakhriveion TMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:11 PM   #88
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just curious why ANYONE would think that TTT was NOT as good as FotR?!?!?! IT WAS BETTER!! Yes, they changed it from the account in the books, but LOOK AT THEM SEPERATLEY!! THE MOVIES NEED TO APPEAL TO THE 21st CENTURY! ::GRRRR:: Just read my previous comment...
Old 12-30-2002, 06:25 PM   #89
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Now that I have my English skills back, I would like to say that I thought that "The Two Towers" was better than "The Fellowship of the Ring". I think that what you have to do is not really go in prepared to compare it to the books. I went in looking for it to be a good <I>movie</I> with the same basic messages. And, guess what? Even though it was not exactly like the book in every aspect, it kept the same basic themes and ideas and messages. And it was a very well-put-together movie, and the cast and crew worked very, very, very hard on it (Viggo almost drowned making it for goodness sakes), and it turned out amazing (especially Gollum). I just wish they didn't mar the name "Haldir" for me forever. I tear up whenever I see the name now...
Old 12-30-2002, 06:37 PM   #90
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Dude, you get used to that after a while. I have become numb to these criticisms and outbursts of how "bad" TTT was. I cannot believe the fans lack of appreciation that someone would make a movie of such "old" books. Hollywood hasn't out for movies that are classic literature and don't have some naked butts or cleavage shown or something. I am very suprised at how well critics and non-Tolkien based viewers are liking it. There's no sex in the story! I'm suprised it's doing so well! Sorry, sarcasm. I hate how you can't watch a movie with a good story line without BAM! Girl and guy in underwear or less clothing. I have gotten pretty sick of it. Anyway, I thought it was better than the first one. Lots of people (non-Tolkien based) got a little bored believe it or not in the FOTR. TTT jumps right into the story, it's on a larger scale, more action, blood and gore, more characters, and more is at stake making it more exciting. In my opinion anyway. People are really loving it though, even this guy in my newspaper that didn't know what he was talking about. He said in some of his complaints that the Ents were too wierd and he said "they're just trees"! NO! They're Ents. I think he thought they moved around too much and were able to do too many things. He obviously didn't know much. Well, this club now has 27 members! Pretty good! Final thought (I promise): I hope it wins Best Picture this year!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:40 PM   #91
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First film i have gone back and seen a second time at the theater in over 15 years since VHS caught on.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:42 PM   #92
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Done with your rant? You know, fantasy movies aren't looked to highly upon at the Oscars. Nor are sequels, this movie has the odds against it...So don't be all surprised when it doesn't win, BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:47 PM   #93
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Shutup Coral. I still hope it does, what's gonna stop it? Attack of the Clones? The third Austin Powers movie? Huh? Huh? Huh? Eat that! Wait...
Old 12-30-2002, 06:54 PM   #94
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well lets see, what might get a nomination. Just go look in the Oscar Chances thread, they named some movies...
Old 12-30-2002, 08:03 PM   #95
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

What? Gangs of New York? Harry Potter? I don't think so!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:06 PM   #96
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its been nominated for 2 Golden Globes, so you never know about the Oscars...<BR>They might just get it!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:08 PM   #97
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Yeah, I saw those but I don't hold the Golden Globe Awards very highly, TTT deserves better than that. This threads dying again. Come back and poke it Coral!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:53 PM   #98
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Durelin, TTT should get a few Oscars, and I hope it gets those Golden Globes too!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:42 PM   #99
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Sting

BAH! There were more movies than those two mentioned! But anyways, back to me job!<BR>*poke poke*
Old 12-31-2002, 09:04 AM   #100
helkahothion

Eye

Good day everybody,<P>I liked the movie a lot because with movies I'm easely pleased. But this one really rocked all other movies.<P>a couple of minor points:<BR>1)They made the Ent's look like cowards at firsth.<BR>2)Saruman was never inside of Theodon.<BR>3)Faramir was never seduced by the ring.<BR>4)This is my most drastic set back and it will take a while. Picture this: Battle at Helm's deep with elf's. Well I like Elf's so I was thrilled that PJ did that. BUT WHY THE F*CK DID PJ HAVE TO KILL HALDIR. Why would he kill a character out of the book that does not die in it. That make's no sence. I was disapointed when it happend. Why Haldir? I liked him. Could anyone clear this up for me?<P><BR>But further: I liked the movie a lot and the battle at Helm's deep was cool. (Altough very fussy and vage)<BR>*Duck's trowing object*<P>Oh and another thing:<BR>Smeagol is so cute and he is mine. I just love that little guy. When he start's crying. I wish that that nasty Gollum would just go away and that Smeagol would stay nice Seagol.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 12-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #101
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Coral, Durelin and others, this is a discussion, not a chat room. Please make meaningful posts instead of one-line conversations. Thank you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:41 AM   #102
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Hello Anduion! Hamfast is enjoying your roleplaying. Glad you liked the movie, but did you like it enough to join or what exactly? I need you to come out and say "Count me in" or "I'll join" or I won't get you. Thanks. I just am not smart enough to find the underlying meaning that you want ot join or don't want to join in your post. That's something for everyone to know. Don't take offense or somethin, I'm just saying that with my medium sized brain you must come out and say things straightforward-like! Thankyou everybody for joining, especially those who have shown much enthusiasm (you know who you are!)<P>Oh! Sorry Estelyn!<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-31-2002, 10:50 AM   #103
helkahothion

Sting

My dear Durelin,<P>I'm in, I wanna Join, Count me in, please please accept me for I am a fallen sheep without a leader.(Will that do? )<P>Anyway I am very fond of the movie I'ts just that you can never sky rocket one. I like it a lot, but I can not let my love for the books blind me. (Altough I wish it did.) The dialog's where a lot from the movies and I liked that. <P>What I stated in my last post where my negative points. But they were my ONLY negative points. ANd if I would write down all the positive points, it woud be a post that will fill up the entire treat, if you get me?<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 12-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #104
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Nalana has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nalana
Sting

Helkahothion, I think with Haldir dying, (i didn't want him to die either ) I think They wanted to show some pain/sorrow/death on their side, instead of just killing all the Uruk Hai, and no of them being hurt/killed. I don't know, but that might have been one of the reasons for their decision. *shrugs*
Old 12-31-2002, 10:59 AM   #105
helkahothion

Eye

My fair lady,<P>Thank you for clearing that up for me. But why the h*ll did it have to be an elf. Why did'n't they just let Gloín die instead? He was at the end of his life and Haldir still had a life in front of him.<P>Hmm can't twist with fate (or PJ)<P>But you rule anyway PJ. YAY PJ FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 12-31-2002, 11:02 AM   #106
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I was wondering why Haldir, but oh well. can't change the movie or anything. Hey, I have a question, Durelin. Since you're like head of this club, are we going to make a message board for our club or website, yahoo group, or something? Just curious.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:13 AM   #107
helkahothion

Eye

Hey good Idea. Our very own "We love the second lotr movie" site. Hmm could just start fantasising about that. Is it me or did someone else notice at the Battle of the Ortanc, that a tree was set on fire. And then when the water came he took a large belly glide and shook the water off like a dog. That was hilarious. <P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
Old 12-31-2002, 04:16 PM   #108
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Exactly.. I saw that the tree too. I thought it was funny, as well. But yeah, we should have a site for this or something...
Old 12-31-2002, 04:28 PM   #109
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Thank you for clearing that up for me. But why the h*ll did it have to be an elf. Why did'n't they just let Gloín die instead? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gloin would involve Dwarves, and that would involve them getting involved, which they don't really do. Elves, however, do get involved.<P>Did you guys know that The Fellowship of the Ring did very well in the U.S.A. MTV Movie Awards? While, for some odd reason, most teens will probably vote for "8 Mile" this year, I've seen a lot of teen-agers going to the movies to see The Two Towers multiple times (I mean besides freaks like me). Orlando Bloom even beat out a lot of really popular actors (such as Heath Ledger and the like) for Best Breakthrough Male last year. So, at least we will have a teen market. Although it's not a very deep market, it's still spectators.<P>And has Harry Potter been up for any Golden Globes? Because they didn't mention anything about that in their ad. All the other movies mention "up for (fill in the blank) awards, including (fill in the blank)".<P>Actually: you know what might be a surprise and win out for a few categories instead of Lord of the Rings? Chicago, the Movie might because even I have to admit that it is really good (and I hate Richard Gere with a fiery passion) and I'm probably going to make a second or even a third appearance to see it in the theaters.<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:54 PM   #110
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Were you watching the MTV movie awards this morning? I was lol. Just with the mentioning of that, had me assuming you did as well. But anyway, yeah, i didn't like that Haldir died... it was so sad, especially with him being hit, music that might come from Lothlorien, came on. and that just mad me more sad. But I still really loved that movie!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:23 PM   #111
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well afther a few drinks(12) I got over Haldir Dying. Plus point: They did not mess up that pretty face of his.<P>(Don't mind me, I get a chrush on every male Elf)<BR>Hmm sounds like a sig.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion<p>[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
Portable Vaporizer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #112
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that the reason they killed Haldir was because they wanted you let you know that elves could die in battle too. Up untill then we've been told that elves are immortal. Some people might think that means they are invunerable. So killing Haldir is a way of letting them know.<P><BR>I just watched the movie for the second time. This time I had all the complaints and comments in the back of my head. I must say that even with all that I still thought it was fantastic. I personally don't think, after seeing it a second time, that Faramir's part was bad. I have already given possible reasons why the changes would have been made and here is yet another. You must remember that this is PJ's version of events. What I mean by that is he has his own view of what he feels is important in the stories. Therefore there must be some aspect of Faramir he wants to stress and exaturate in the movie. He's most likely trying to show us the Faramir who wants to please his father. This quote that was taken from the book is part of that:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ..a chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor to show his quality.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I also must say that the begaining is absalutly brilliant! Starting with the mountains starts the movie off with a calm yet magnificint feeling. Then of course we go to the Balrog scene. This is a smart choice as it reminds the audience that Gandalf fell and shows a bit of what happened afterwards. <P>I'll be back to praise PJ some more later...
Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #113
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
My fair lady Rose,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Up untill then we've been told that elves are immortal. Some people might think that means they are invunerable. So killing Haldir is a way of letting them know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>What happend to Post-it's people?<BR>Or a little message at the end:<P>There where no Elephaunt's hurt in this movie and Elf's can really die.<P>(But I do think you have a good point with that)<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
________
Buy Herbalaire Vaporizer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:15 PM   #114
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

glad 2 see i wasn't the only 1 to love TTT when i came online and saw the number of people dissing it I couldn't believe my eyes.<BR>I've only ever seen 1 movie which is th slightest rival to it, and that was fotr!<P>as 2 th comments of surprise at the select teenage fanbase, i don't know about th rest of th world, but here in wales th teenage fanbase is still alive and kicking. I'm 16, and have already seen TTT twice, with my parents, 18 year old brother, and an 18 yr old friend of my brothers. On monday i'm goin 2 see it for the 3rd time with a group of about five teenage mates. I also no for a fact that it's not just us wierdo teenagers that love the movie, a group of some of the most popular boys from my scool went 2 see TTT on it's openin night!(sensible ppl)<P>I LOVED TTT!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN I JOIN YOUR CLUB? <P>P.S.gollum was th best, the ents were fantastic(especially treebeard), shadowfax was stunnin, the wargs were great, legolas and gimli were perfect...AND ARAGORN RULED!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #115
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can I join? I have finally seen TTT and I love it. I am mad at the elves at helms deep and Aragorn "dying" and Faramir being mean, but everything else was great. I love gollum, the way that they showed his tourmoil so well. EW was great at portraying Frodo, Sam was a great help to Frodo. Treebeard was great. Grima was so disgusting he was perfect. I am relieved that Arwen wasn't at helms deep. TTT was great!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #116
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Count me in!!! One more member for ya! And yes, TTT totally kicked butt, I can't wait to see RotK in December! But that's so far away... *sobs* So, yeah, whatever, great movie, better even than Fellowship!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:31 PM   #117
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Awesome! 31 members! Thanks, you guys ROCK! A website, message board of our own? Wow! Never thought of that, that would be the best but I'm fine with computers but not great. I have attempted a website only to fail horribly. Wait...my friend could help me! She's got her own website, I don't know how successful, but between the two of us we'll get something. I'll begin checking on stuff! Cool, didn't know I'd get this big a response, thankyou very much! If we're going this far I think we could do "club officers" or whatever would want to call them. What about that?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #118
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Oh if you do have officers.. can I be secretary??? oh please oh please?? I was one of the first couple to join!! Oh I'd make a good secretary, too, yes i would. lmao <P>Edit: I was technically the 3rd to join. lol I'll just shut up now. lol<p>[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nalana ]
Old 01-03-2003, 12:41 AM   #119
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Count me in!<BR>It's BASED on the books. I wasn't sure when I was picture hunting. This is the best movie I have seen in a long time(since last year). I hope TTT pulls all awards its nominated for.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:50 AM   #120
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Sorry I'm late! Count me in! I loved the movie, even though it didn't fallow the books too well. Still LOVED it! Twas incredable.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote