The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril "Hobbit in 5"

Want to see and hear the latest news on the "Hobbit" filming every week? Look no further: "Hobbit in 5" is a new video podcast by TheOneRing.net and Galatia Films.

Enjoy! (Oh, and watch the first one to the end, including credits, for a little extra comment...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...I'm ambivalent regarding Elijah Wood's comment that reprising his role as Frodo will not impinge on the integrity of the book. It seems to me that nearly every decision PJ has made so far is shooting holes through the integrity of the book.

For all that, I am not even sold on the necessity of having two films to tell the story. Having seen what Jackson and Boyens did with LotR, it seems to me that having two Hobbit films is merely their chance to add extraneous material -- what amounts to glorified fan-fic -- in order to put their curious stamp on the story. In the LotR films, it was not what was taken out that proved the most rankling, it was the hot mess that was added in.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
For all that, I am not even sold on the necessity of having two films to tell the story. Having seen what Jackson and Boyens did with LotR, it seems to me that having two Hobbit films is merely their chance to add extraneous material -- what amounts to glorified fan-fic -- in order to put their curious stamp on the story. In the LotR films, it was not what was taken out that proved the most rankling, it was the hot mess that was added in.
I agree that they probably could cogently tell the story of Bilbo's adventure, sticking with what's in the actual book. But then you wouldn't see Galadriel, or Saruman. Or Legolas. After all, the Ring alone surely isn't a clear enough link between TH and LOTR for the modern audience.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
rowie711
Newly Deceased

rowie711 has just left Hobbiton.
Integrity

I am still not happy with PJ did with the movie. Granted it was beautifully rendered but was not true enough to the stories or to the characters for my liking... too Hollywoodified, although I fully understand why this was done.

If a character is not in JRRT's Hobbit then PJ should not just add it to the movie to to tie the movie to LOTR. The ring ties the stories together as does Bilbo and Gandalf and Gollum, and Elrond as well. There are already connections enough to link the stories together.

I am probably too much of a purist. I still believe that PJ was not true to Aragorn/Strider and he should have stuck to the right timelines.
rowie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie711 View Post
If a character is not in JRRT's Hobbit then PJ should not just add it to the movie to to tie the movie to LOTR. The ring ties the stories together as does Bilbo and Gandalf and Gollum, and Elrond as well. There are already connections enough to link the stories together.
Perhaps PJ is merely the Mariah Carey of film-making: why sing one note when you can jam 15 in there?

And welcome to the Downs!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie711 View Post
I am still not happy with PJ did with the movie. Granted it was beautifully rendered but was not true enough to the stories or to the characters for my liking... too Hollywoodified, although I fully understand why this was done.
I do agree, to every word here... the last ones counting as well, especially.

Welcome to the 'Downs and among the dead Rowie711!! Looking forwards to meeting you here and there.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, rowie711! I absolutely agree with what you said. I don't think you are too much of a purist. It's just that PJ is too much of the opposite.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I am a little shocked that they want to make The Hobbit into two movies. I mean after all, it is one book. LOTR was three because it was three books. As for what Morthron said about extraneous material, they could have divided TTT and ROTK more along book lines without so much extraneous material in both.

rowie711 said...

Quote:
Let's take a list at the already existing character connections...

Bilbo Baggins

Dori, Nori, Oin, and Gloin, as well as Bombur fatter than ever (Ok ok so technically they are in the book, not the movie. I am sure I left a dwarf or two out, apologies to them.)

Gollum

Gandalf

Elrond (I wonder if PJ can make him less Mr. Grumpy Face for The Hobbit than he was in LOTR? Doubt it.)

The Sackville-Bagginses!

I'm sure I have left a few out, anyone want to add?

I hear they are sticking extra wizards in there too, namely Radagast the Brown.....I don't remember him in The Hobbit......he barely appears in LOTR.

Speaking of what they put in rather than what they left out that rankled....do you think that they will turn the Battle of the Five Armies (which takes a few pages to describe) into a 50-minute drama like Helms Deep was? IMHO Helms Deep in the film lasted way....too.....long.

Also, do you think Beorn and his animals will be cut from the script?

I'm wondering if PJ will sneak in an Aragorn/Arwen kissing scene somewhere too....What was that about glorified fanfic?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Radagast in mentioned in the passing in TH, but he doesn't have a role.

TH doesn't have enough material in it to make 2 movies out of it, so PJ added quite a number of events of his own imagination.