The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2000, 12:55 PM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring Bk1, Ch2, Shadow of the Past -- The Movie

<BR>Continuing our discussion of how to adapt the books:<br> <br> In “The Shadow of the Past” we have another chapter that is <u>loaded</u> with info. Although I must admit that Gandalf tells Frodo much more of the Ring’s history than I had previously recalled. I thought we had to wait until the Council to get some solid info. There is so much important information in this chapter.<br> <br> I see several problems. One is, how do we effectively convey the passage of time? This chapter takes place, if I’m not mistaken, twelve years after Bilbo’s party. Yet the scene is reminiscent of the one we just saw – Gandalf and a hobbit, discussing the Ring, in Bag End. Again, I feel the need for some device to help us quickly summarize all of this information. I feel more strongly than ever that we will need a narrator, and I’ll bet that Bilbo is our man. You don’t hire Ian Holm as Bilbo for just a few scenes in Rivendell, do you? No! You put him to work as your Narrator. Also, the fact that PJ has cast an actor to play Gil-Galad gives me cause for some speculation. Is it possible that he may choose to begin the story on a more mythic note? Open with the Battle of Dagorlad, follow Isildur’s demise along the banks of the Anduin, and then move into the story of the LOTR proper? I can’t imagine we’ll have two long, virtually back-to-back scenes of Gandalf and a hobbit talking in Bag End. <br> <br> So here’s what we need to accomplish:<br> <br> 1) Reveal the true nature and some of the history of the Ring.<br> 2) Set up the conflict – Sauron is seeking, time is short, Frodo has been chosen by fate and must bear the Ring away from the Shire.<br> 3) Introduce Sam and include him in the quest.<br> <br> Perhaps we can bridge the scenes from the first chapter to this one with a montage/voice-over which follows Gandalf’s adventures in seeking and finding Gollum. <br> <br> Most important image: the fiery letters revealed on the Ring.<br> <br> Great moment: Frodo attempting to toss the ring into the fire, only to find that he’s put it back into his pocket instead. <br> <br> What say ye?<br> <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2000, 04:44 PM   #2
Wizard of the Secret Fire
Pile O'Bones

Wizard of the Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Bk1, Ch2, Shadow of the Past -- The Movie</b><br><br> They have filmed the Last Alliance and I think that they will move parts of this chapter to the beginning of the movie.<br> <br> E! Online suggests Sam as the Narrator in the movies.. <p><HR> "You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." <br> Usually guarding <a href="http://www.theoldforest.cjb.net">The Old Forest website</a>.<br> Walk into the mystical Forest, find everything you need about Tolkien,<br> or about the new Lord of the Rings movies.<br> Feel welcome to the ezBoard of the Old Forest, <a href="http://pub9.ezboard.com/btheoldforest29887">The Bonfire Glade</a>.<br> A place for discussions with other Tolkien fans about almost everything.</p></p>
Wizard of the Secret Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2000, 06:57 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<BR> Re: Bk1, Ch2, Shadow of the Past -- The Movie</b><br><br> Chapter 2 would seem the appropriate place to show the history of the Ring and the Last Alliance! <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 09-10-2000, 04:03 AM   #4
Wizard of the Secret Fire
Pile O'Bones

Wizard of the Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Bk1, Ch2, Shadow of the Past -- The Movie</b><br><br> Yep, I agree, but I have a feeling that they will begin like in the B. animated version...but who knows... <p><HR> "You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." <br> Usually guarding <a href="http://www.theoldforest.cjb.net">The Old Forest website</a>.<br> Walk into the mystical Forest, find everything you need about Tolkien,<br> or about the new Lord of the Rings movies.<br> Feel welcome to the ezBoard of the Old Forest, <a href="http://pub9.ezboard.com/btheoldforest29887">The Bonfire Glade</a>.<br> A place for discussions with other Tolkien fans about almost everything.</p></p>
Wizard of the Secret Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 10:36 AM   #5
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Ring

<BR> re</b><br><br> does anyone of you remember gandalf in the cartoon version ?<br> in the &quot;shadow of the past&quot; scene he actually says the words that are inscribed on the ring! MAN! that really upset me <br> that was really bad work , i mean gandalf nearly had to give an excuse when he uttered those words in imladris. and then in the cartoon he utters them in frodos house and by night!<br> sorry but all those postings about the shadow of the past brought that back to my mind<br> what do you think of that terrible mistake? <p></p>

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 02:02 PM   #6
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: re</b><br><br> Yes, that was just plain stupid.<br> Nevertheless was this scene still one of the few better ones in the movie; Gandalf really looked menacing- <p><h6> By showing our resistance to the people, we kindle the fire within the people. </h6></p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Hey check me out -- I made some pretty good predictions on structure up there. I still think Ian Holm would have made a great narrator...
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote