The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #241
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Chap stick and lotion. I live and die by them...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #242
Enedhilion
Pile O'Bones

Enedhilion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Enedhilion Send a message via MSN to Enedhilion Send a message via Yahoo to Enedhilion
I assign Progressive Metal to the Shire.
THANK YOU.
Enedhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #243
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #244
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Iron Maiden?

Progressive?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #245
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd.
Can't beat a bit of moshing. I've just spent half an hour doing it in the living room - it's my alternative aerobic routine. Rargh!

Or does Enedhilion mean things like Yes or early Genesis? I defy anyone to mosh to The Battle of Epping Forest. Or am I just showing my age?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #246
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
While I don't dislike Iron Maiden, I prefer the thought of hobbits jamming to Metallica's Master of Puppets album... Ride the Lightening works also. Surely a bit of hobbitish playing of the air guitar to chase off the stress of a long day?

And I must assign to the Shire the song La Tortura by Shakira. You can't listen to it without wanting to dance.

And dancing must certainly have been assigned already. Ballroom, ballet, belly dancing... All fun in their own way.

I assign learning to waltz with your grandfather, who just happens to be the coolest guy ever. I assign the limberness after a long ballet warmup. I assign everything about belly dancing, because there's nothing quite like the looks on people's faces when they catch you laundry-room-dancing.

And about that, I assign laundry-room-dancing. When the lounge is full and the common room is taken and there's just not enough room in dorm-room or hall to move, and you take an old-school boombox to the laundry room for a bit of jiving... that's a blast, I promise. All should try it.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #247
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign scissors. And hair. And spontaneous creation of bangs that, let me tell you, totally rock. I'm sure hobbits love cutting their hair. Right?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #248
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You could have it so much better with FranzFerdinand

I'd assign "Eleanor put your boots on" (which is my current favourite song) ..... but I am not sure the hobbits would really get it....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #249
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Yes or early Genesis? I defy anyone to mosh to The Battle of Epping Forest. Or am I just showing my age?
Oh migaw! Don't worry, it's a good age.

I assign to the Shire everything Genesis did between 1970 and 1976; except for Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which belongs in the realm of the University Hospital of Mordor at Urukapolis (keywords: Sigmund, Jung, psych eval).
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #250
Caunwaithon
Pile O'Bones

Caunwaithon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enedhilion
I assign Progressive Metal to the Shire.
THANK YOU.
[insidejoke] I assign studying history to the shire, endhelion.[/insidejoke]

I have always thought of anything of bounty belonging to the shire. Everything is large, the parties, the food, the egos.(Well...except for the hobbits, lol.)
Old 02-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #251
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
My local library, in all its wonder.

Need an obscure book hardly anybody has heard of? Written in 1945? Only one edition printed? No problem, we'll have it at your nearest library in three days.

I think I need to resend my library to Mordor. It allows me to withdraw a copy of Utopia (More) from 1869 if I so will it. I love you, library fair.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #252
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I think I need to resend my library to Mordor. It allows me to withdraw a copy of Utopia (More) from 1869 if I so will it. I love you, library fair.
To Mordor? Oh dear. That poor library.

I send oil paints. Sure, my hands are the cleanest shade of grayish blue possible, and have been since yesterday because we ran out of paint thinner and no matter how much soap you use, oil paint are stubborn... but that mural... The idea that I started something and finished it is a nice one. From sketch to gridded to painted to detailed, and it looks fantastic.

I assign to the Shire murals and painting and making people smile.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #253
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign the dessert I had last night. Peach ice cream is really really good drowned in those strawberries that are frozen and come in little plastic tubs.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #254
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign curling. With nothing better to do (because homework doesn't count), I turned on the television, and what do I see but the Olympics? I've only just decided that it's a blast and a half to watch these men so seriously rub ice with a broom at top speed.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #255
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Oh my dear Fea, don't overlook that women are often the best skips at curling and of course are absolute naturals with the broom.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #256
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry
Oh my dear Fea, don't overlook that women are often the best skips at curling and of course are absolute naturals with the broom.
"O Canada", eh Bethberry?

On a related note, I wish to assign all the hardworking, honest young athletes for whom competing in the Olympics is a dream come true, to the Shire. They deserve it there, although I don't think it's a very good venue for the Winter Olympics.

The drug-using, fame-greedy, narcisstic athletes can go to Mordor.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #257
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I conassign not having snowy winter seasons to Mor...

Oh, is this the Shire?

Hmm...I assign the intermediary period of having nothing to do for school because the midterms week had just passed. I thought I was becoming lazier than ever, then I realized that there really is nothing to do.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #258
Enedhilion
Pile O'Bones

Enedhilion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Enedhilion Send a message via MSN to Enedhilion Send a message via Yahoo to Enedhilion
Birthdays! (Mine is today)
Enedhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #259
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enedhilion
Birthdays! (Mine is today)
Congrats! I like them too! (Mine is next week...)

I assign chocolate. I think that doesn't need any explanations.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 AM   #260
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Shameless slug's plug:

Quote:
While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd. (daga'y who be wolf )

Rock 'n Roll Ain't Shire Pollution!
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #261
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Blueberry yogurt, blueberry pancakes, your mom making sticky buns with cream-cheese ising, Leon Uris, and ... landing a 360!

Oh, and clean teeth, even if it does riquire a visit to the dentist... (clean teeth)

Last edited by Eonwe; 02-15-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #262
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When at the dentist, he/she gives you a gum massage wearing rubber gloves...man, that's the best thing in the world.

Really.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #263
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Nutella. It's probably the world's most wonderful food.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #264
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm pretty sure I agree about Nutella. I imagine hobbits must love the stuff. And if they don't, I do and that's all that matters.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #265
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When one of your best friends gets you a present on Valentine's Day because you're both single. That totally made my day.

Mmm, Nutella...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #266
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You do realize that Nutella comes from Germany, don't you?! I bet you thought they only make great cars over here...

And yes, I too assign spreadable chocolate to the Shire, especially when combined with banana slices for a wonderful open-faced sandwich. Though I don't allow myself to eat it very often...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:29 AM   #267
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Nutella...mmm...

The combination of chocolate and hazelnut definitely belongs to the Shire.

And caramel. I'm sure the hobbits are addicted to it.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:36 AM   #268
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's something even better than Nutella (yes, really!) and that's Marmite. Droooooooool.............. Twiglets are made with Marmite and I daren't buy them as I can't stop until I have finished a pack, but there are also Marmite Biscuits now. They are expensive and hard to find but once you get a box you cannot stop until they are all eaten. I can imagine they would be good with cheese on, but we wouldn't be able to pause from scoffing for long enough to find out.

I also assign Kikkoman's Teriyaki marinade, as this is my new addiction. I used up the whole bottle I got last weekend and am now into withdrawal until I get some more.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #269
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign the looks on my friends' faces and the shock on my best friend's voice (we were on the phone at the time) when they see you ordering marmite online because you wanted your favorite kind of tea enough to risk parental wrath by ordering it and then saw marmite next to it on the list of items. Let's hope it's as awesome as you say, Lal! And let's hope my tea gets here before break! (PS, that means it's got just over 24 hours to do so). Oh, and I assign vacations.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #270
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

As they say, you either love it or hate it. If you love it, then you are hooked! I've just had some, too because I was thinking about it all day and had to eat some as soon as got home!

It's best on toast, either alone or with a large helping of beans, cheese, egg or peanut butter. And what's more it's about the only food that has B12 in it apart from meat, so vegans can tuck in!

I want some more now...
Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #271
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

B12? That's good for me! I like things that are good for me.

I assign blustery days. The kind that depress other people, but can give such a rush. When you walk out into the mildly warm air, expecting to freeze and realizing you won't. The way that the whipping wind pulls your hair out of place, letting it dance in front of your eyes. The sound of crows frantically yelling to one another and the bells of the Tower beating the hour to nearly the same rhythm as the staccato cracking of the wind-driven flag. The paranoic rustling of squirrels on dead twigs. The single leaves forgotten in autumn that still clutch daintily to sleeping branches. The grey sky that promises change and threatens that it will be for the worse.

I love the kind of day that makes you catch your breath in wonder.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #272
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ooh, Fea, I came here to write about a similar kind of day...

I had a delightfully hobbity experience walking home from school today (still can't drive...). See, my favorite way home (and, incidentally, the shortest) crosses over some fields between some people's yards and one of the busier streets in town - I think they're owned by the doctor's office but anyway. I walked outside expecting it to be freezing cold like it has been but instead I find that I can take my winter coat completely off. The wind was picking up, and darker clouds were just starting to move in - it rained last night and I think it's going to rain again soon, you can just smell it. So when I got to the fields, it was so nice that I just took off my shoes and walked barefoot over the slightly muddy fields. That wet slightly squishy feeling is delightful, even if the water is still slightly chilly (it is February, after all, and normally I wouldn't even think of doing this... actually that's not true. I tried once and about froze my feet off...). Not quite sunny, but with patches of blue sky poking through the greyish clouds. Mmm.

Just warm enough that it feels delightful to open up the window, even if my mom just yelled at me to shut it because it's too cold...

Days like today are definitely Shire-worthy. So are bare feet.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #273
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I assign to the Shire the feeling of it being -20 degrees Celsius when you arrive at home late at night, and discovering that the biting wind of early is gone. It feels so... Warm!

I guess that's a rather Canadian feeling, eh?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #274
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You can feel it ice fishing in Michigan too, Form.

In light of my latest dream, I send the Star Spangled Banner and duets with Boromir88 to the Shire.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #275
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

So um... Lal... that Marmite? You said it belongs in the Shire? *shudder*

Is it supposed to be so... um... there are no words to describe.

Mind you, dipping a Marmite-flavored potato chip into Marmite might not be the best introduction to the stuff...
Old 02-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #276
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign Art Appreciation.....There's nothing like staring at some wierd work of art and trying to reveal some theory about it's content.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #277
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
So um... Lal... that Marmite? You said it belongs in the Shire? *shudder*

Is it supposed to be so... um... there are no words to describe.

Mind you, dipping a Marmite-flavored potato chip into Marmite might not be the best introduction to the stuff...
I am a self-confessed marmite freak and even I would be scared of using it as a dip! Yes, that might be overkill! It's strong stuff! You need to get a nice piece of hot toast, butter it, and then very thinly spread some marmite on it - lovely. You only need what you can get on the tip of a knife.

Even my cats like it.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #278
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Even my cats like [marmite.
Which means it's really cat food, is what you're trying to say, right? I've tried the stuff. **!!double shudder!!** I hear vegemite from down under and a couple steps to the east (2 islands by the name of new sea-land or something like that) is not so different.

To the Shire, weird as it may seem: the phone jack filter that makes it possible for my internet not to disconnect due to line noise! Yay!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #279
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Which means it's really cat food, is what you're trying to say, right? I've tried the stuff. **!!double shudder!!** I hear vegemite from down under and a couple steps to the east (2 islands by the name of new sea-land or something like that) is not so different.
To the connoisseur, Vegemite is an abomination and ought to go to Mordor forthwith.

I'm sending my cats to the Shire anyway, seing as they have become newly fledged mousers and have been on alert for any pesky rodent activity around my house. We managed to trap one in a boot with the help of one of my cats. Though worryingly she has begun to take an interest in one of the bookshelves!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #280
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yogurt, and specifically the blueberry yogurt produced by Yoplait, which I am cerrently savoring...ummm-hmmmm....