The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 AM   #441
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well Iquite like it.. and it was funny that I was suspected of being just about everything bad and everyone's lover when it wasn't annoying...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #442
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
So, how did people feel about role naivety? I loved it, and think it should be implemented in future games. It adds to the role-play side of things, not knowing about roles.

I think mods could have a LOT of fun with the idea in future.
You mean on not knowing the roles? Well, yes, it is fun, but also... how should I... psycho, to be honest. And sometimes I think it's better to know the roles, you feel more sure. To you, as players who play their 50th game, it might feel as a breath of new, fresh air in the line of "mundane" games, but for someone like me (I don't know how Brinniel&other newbies feel about it) I'd certainly preserve some games where it is known, not to confuse the newcomers too much...

Though yes, it's a good idea. Had I been the mod, I'd certainly choose not to introduce the roles For the mod, it must be obviously great fun. And if there are really many roles, not only as here we had them, but as in the original idea Menel had, it would be seriously gigantic fun. "You lynched your Batman!" "We lynched our what?"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #443
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I like the "psycho" side of things. You're right, not all games should have role naivety, because it might scare of new players. But for those that do... there's so much potential for Mods creating havoc:
  • Multiple Seers
  • Multiple Lovers
  • False Seers
  • Separate Werewolf groups
  • Make everybody a wolf in separate groups, last group alive wins.
  • Multiple Rangers/Hunters
  • Making everybody gifted.
  • No gifteds.
  • Make every villager a cobbler.
  • Shirriffs.
  • False Shirriffs??
Not to mention new roles just to muck people about.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #444
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
False Seers
I don't know if it's not off-topic to start about it on this thread, but since you mentioned this, I wanted only to ask: what is a "false Seer"? It's a person who is told by the Mod he is a Seer and he is not, or what?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #445
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
what is a "false Seer"? It's a person who is told by the Mod he is a Seer and he is not, or what?
S/he's someone who is told to be a Seer and s/he will then send her/his dreams to the mod. Depending on the mod's decision the "answers" the false seer gets are either wrong eveytime or wrong a part of the time...

Not knowing the roles was great fun but I wouldn't wish to play in that way everytime.

Diamond (I think?) had a highly paranoic game a year ago (about) where we were not told the roles of those killed eg. we knew the roles there were in the beginning but didn't know which were being killed during the game...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #446
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
It's a person who is told by the Mod he is a Seer and he is not, or what?
Yes and they can dream too, but they don't get it right or don't get it right for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
What I really thougyht was funny though was how Lommy was quite so desperate to see me dead and her reasoning when weknew she was furry....
Sorry to spoil your joy , but I really wasn't desperate to get rid of you. Noggie called me that night and said he could ask Menel if I could vote via Nogrod. I was not especially keen on that - since I hadn't a very good idea what was going on in the late hours nor had I thought too much about it after giving up (with the library computers) - but I agreed. (Nogrod wanted me to vote because he said people had difficulties with froming a picture about me since I'm so absent...)

edit: obviously xed with Noggie
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #447
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie
Diamond (I think?) had a highly paranoic game a year ago (about) where we were not told the roles of those killed eg. we knew the roles there were in the beginning but didn't know which were being killed during the game...
Ah, good memories ...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #448
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maybe for you.
Honk.
Brute.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #449
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
...four months later:

Thank you, Menel, for a very memorable game!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote