The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Access problems

I've been unable to access the Downs for several days, but then in the guestbook on the photo page, I see a message from Lommy which says that the site can be accessed by typing the IP address of the Downs into the navigation bar instead of the URL. Accessing the page via URL used to read as "Database error", but now it returns a rather messed-up version of the main page, with links to private forums visible. When I attempt to go to M-E Mirth via that page, it sends back another database error.

I thought my worries were over with the IP thing, but now there have been no new posts recorded after one I made almost two hours ago on the Tol-in-Gaurhoth Grimoire thread. When I access the messed-up page resulting from entering the URL, it shows that there have been new posts since then, but I cannot access them. Typing in the same location and replacing the "forum.barrowdowns.com" part with the IP address gives me a forum message (not a broken link, 403 Forbidden, or whatever, but a forum message with black text on a green background) saying that I don't have permission to access that page.

What is going on here? I'd really like to get back to the normal routine around here, but this is just too strange.

EDIT: Um, wait. The numbers for threads aren't the same when you access the site via "69.51.5.41" rather than "forum.barrowdowns.com". Maybe I went to a private thread by mistake? Still, I'm having serious problems here.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 03-06-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm having the same exact problems, Menel. Before today, I was unable to access the regular link to the forum at all...but now things are just getting weirder.

Why are some new posts not showing up through this link Lommy gave us, but they do on the other one? Even more, why are some people able to access the regular link far enough to post without trouble, and others cannot?

And I wonder whether our new posts from this IP address are showing up on the regular forum address as well...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yeah, this is really strange. I hope someone comes soon and fixes all this mess. There's more about it in http://community.livejournal.com/the...owns/7005.html, check at least the last comments by Lalwende and Rikae.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It seems half of the people are accessing the forum via http://69.51.5.41/ and half via http://barrowdowns.com and we can't see one another's posts.... I think this is becoming disastrous...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yes, exactly. Now we have two Downs or what? There's something for Hookbill.

I made some (and as you know me, even quite long) posts yesterday on this version and they don't show up on the other version at all. This is impossible, this is madness. And mainly, no one knows what the heck is going on around here??? That is the question.

And I wonder what happens, if (I hope!) these strange "versions" are finally merged - would there be all these posts? In chronological order, or not? Or what? By the way, I noticed it counts differently my number of posts - on the other version, I am told to have one less post now (after I send this one, probably two). In any case, I already backed up the long Chapter-By-Chapter post I posted yesterday so that I don't lose it if anything strange happens. I surely hope not.

And I suggest you other folks to do the same for posts that you'd have trouble writing again - just copy what you wrote into a notepad and save it somewhere.

I think we have no choice, we just have to wait.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dear me, it's The Return of the Wall!! Or is it an Iron Curtain? Or a fairy tale about two lovers who can't reach each other? Or a science fiction tale about alternate universes?

I'm sorry that we are experiencing these difficulties. Unfortunately, we moderators are just as helpless as the rest of the members, and our attempts to contact the administrators, who are responsible for technical concerns, have not yet been successful. Until then, we will have to make do with what we have. Please do follow Legate's advice and make sure your posts are saved to Word or whatever writing program you use. Your patience will surely be rewarded, hopefully soon. And maybe we should start a new thread to tell each other what we are all doing with the additional time we have...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Dear me, it's The Return of the Wall!! Or is it an Iron Curtain? Or a fairy tale about two lovers who can't reach each other? Or a science fiction tale about alternate universes?
Definitely a Star Trek dilemma, Esty! Let's hope it doesn't give us things such as the Evil Spock creating a totally different Downs!

And, will the Sqwerls become Tribbles? Will Seven of Nine find a place in the Nine Walkers? Oh, the possibilities are endless.

And to think that I saw it all on Goldberry Street.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Definitely a Star Trek dilemma, Esty! Let's hope it doesn't give us things such as the Evil Spock creating a totally different Downs!
Watch out for people with mustaches who didn't have them a moment ago...*glares suspiciously*

I have access to three different Barrowdowns?
One, from the IP address, that I can actually navigate around in.
Two, I can see my usercp the memberlist & the search page and nothing else at forum.barrowdowns.com.
Three, the one at barrowdowns.com, that I can navigate in as well.

I saw the "secret" topics at the IP as well, but they are gone now.

I'm inclined to think that one and three might be the same, because I can't log in on either. Then again not, because the link name for the active topics are different on each. Oh no wait, they aren't, because there are different posts on each one. Duh.

*my head asplode!*

I'm sure it's all a very complicated WW game, and the Mod of this one won't be popular for a while, at all, at all.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I have access to three different Barrowdowns?
One, from the IP address, that I can actually navigate around in.
Two, I can see my usercp the memberlist & the search page and nothing else at forum.barrowdowns.com.

I saw the "secret" topics at the IP as well, but they are gone now.

I'm inclined to think that one and three might be the same, because I can't log in on either. Then again not, because the link name for the active topics are different on each. Oh no wait, they aren't, because there are different posts on each one. Duh.
Wait, that's interesting. Because if I understood you correctly, it's different with me.

There are these Downs 69.something (this one) that I am logged in (it says "welcome, Legate of Amon Lanc" up there) and I can normally navigate and post on.
There are these Downs barrowdowns.com that I am also logged in the same way. The only difference is that posts I post here don't show up there and vice versa.
And then there is the original, forum.barrowdowns.com where I cannot log in (in the upper right corner it shows the emty field for User name and Password, HOWEVER, since I tried to access it before, from certain time it actually acts as if I were logged in and I can access my User CP. But, if I try anything else, I get an error message instead of the desired page.

But you said you can't log on on this and the barrowdowns.com one? That would mean a difference and I wonder why it is.

Well, not that there aren't more important things to be concerned of...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hey all. Finally, I found a way to actually post!

First of all, Lommie, thank you SO much for putting that link on the photo page. I was clicking on random stuff and ended up there, where I saw your post. You're my hero.

Since I couldn't get on the site (at all, in any form) until now, I got frustrated and tried to e-mail the Barrow Wight, because I saw that some other people had managed to post, so I thought maybe it was something with my Internet or, you know, something weird like that. My e-mail got bounced back to me.

That's about all, since I've been basically having the same problems as everyone else. Wow. I hope it gets fixed soon. :O

Oh, and for Legate. I'm logged in (obviously) but at the top of the page it doesn't say "welcome" or anything. It asks for my username and password. Anyone else getting that?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
Even more, why are some people able to access the regular link far enough to post without trouble, and others cannot?
I wonder if it means anything but....all my American friends have been having problems with the site. Shasta (the only person I have on IM from here) said he can't get on either, but I was on (sort of) last night and saw posts from a lot of you lovely Europeans. Bah. I don't know. It's just a big mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
I'm sure it's all a very complicated WW game, and the Mod of this one won't be popular for a while, at all, at all.
If that's the case, I'll advocate lynching the mod.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
And all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.....

eventually, that is.....but for now it's fun,eh?

:-)
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Oh, and for Legate. I'm logged in (obviously) but at the top of the page it doesn't say "welcome" or anything. It asks for my username and password. Anyone else getting that?
That's what it does to me, but only on the original, forum.barrowdowns.com page, the one which should be the "normal" Downs, but when doing anything there, it posts error messages. So it looks you have it the same as Oddwen. This way it looks like we don't have just two different forums, with three ways they are displayed, but also different individual ways of how us being logged on is displayed. Which I don't like at all
Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ha ha. The Downs is schizo now.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think we should seriously consider if #69 is the evil alternate universe.

Imagine Sauron the White complaining about the movies and William Cloud Hickli lambasting the Estate, etc etc. We could have Mithadan espousing the ideas of Michael Martinez. Thenamir taking that other political road.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The same thing I posted on barrowdowns.com version, slightly modified (to fit here):

Things posted before 6th of March (on the IP address Downs) show up on all versions of the forum, I think. However, the newest registered members seem to be different on the IP version than on the usual Downs & barrowdowns.com (the newest ones being shown there).

Also, I've heard of things like a rep given on one version not showing on another... I have no idea about PMs, but I suppose it's the same with them.

I don't know if we should somewhat decide which version to use? It's a bit strange to open two different Downs' in order to see the replies the threads have got. I'd suggest the barrowdowns.com one - things posted there show up on the normal Downs main page though one cannot access them from there.

This is so depressing.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
This is so cool!

I'm so addicted to the Downs that this can very well be my greatest adventure so far!

But, hey, have a happy women's day, everybody!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Yeah, I'm getting that too. I'm logged in that version of the site because I can see my User CP (the only thing I can get to along with Who's Online), but the main page still has the log in box as though I never logged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I wonder if it means anything but....all my American friends have been having problems with the site. Shasta (the only person I have on IM from here) said he can't get on either, but I was on (sort of) last night and saw posts from a lot of you lovely Europeans. Bah. I don't know. It's just a big mess.
I don't think that countries or continents matter because while I'm American, I'm currently in the Nederland. And I've noticed members from all over managing to post on the normal forum.

I can get to the main page and the User CP, but the private forums still show up and I still can't access any threads...which is quite frustrating since I want to see what others have posted.

I do hope this problem gets cleared up soon...I've never felt so confused. For now, I'll just follow the advice and save my recent posts and PMs..
Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
There are these Downs barrowdowns.com that I am also logged in the same way. The only difference is that posts I post here don't show up there and vice versa.
Okay, I just tried that third version and it works, though the same problems with missing posts, threads, and PMs are happening for me as well.

I'm not sure what to do...is barrowdowns.com the version I should be using? Should I copy and paste the posts I wrote here that aren't showing up in the other version?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Also, I've heard of things like a rep given on one version not showing on another... I have no idea about PMs, but I suppose it's the same with them.
Yes, it's the same with PMs.

Quote:
I don't know if we should somewhat decide which version to use? It's a bit strange to open two different Downs' in order to see the replies the threads have got. I'd suggest the barrowdowns.com one - things posted there show up on the normal Downs main page though one cannot access them from there.
That's true. However, I can't help to wonder - the www.barrowdowns.com one is actually instead of the Barrow-downs "normal" page, the not-forum one. I am actually worried that all we post, rep or PM on one version or another is at stake. I only hope something happens that solves the matter soon - that's the best we can do.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I opened all the three and made some comparisons.

It looks like the forum.barrowdowns.com (where you can't navigate or log in) has the same entries and posts as www.barrowdowns.com. This 69.51.5.41 seems to be a thing of its own or separate entity which has started growing to it's own direction. So I'm afraid that anything posted here in the 69. -pages will eventually vanish - so every post made, every reputation given, every PM's sent etc. will go too, or should we say stay here in the 69. -pages - when the Downs are back again.

But will things posted here in the Barrowdowns.com remain after the logging-problem is solved we probably don't know. It at least seems that different smilies and icons are not usable in that version of the Downs either so maybe even things posted / done there will not last?

So I'd say one should actually make back up copies of one's posts to be sure if one thinks her/his contribution should last. I'm primarily thinking about the RPG's and possible more "serious" discussions where people have invested a lot of time and thought to their posts. Also I'd refrain from giving any reputation before the thing is settled (I never had time to rep my great fellow-players and enemies after the last WW-game but I will be at it when I'm sure they will stay).

But as things are I'd encourage people to use the Barrowdowns.com and not the 69. -pages as the latter seem to be different from the forum.barrowdowns.com.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
But, hey, have a happy women's day, everybody!
We have a day???

Nogrod -- yes, you're right - people should copy their posts (well, people who post worthwhile things, unilke me). However, it occurs to me that the #69 page might *not* disappear, in which case, we should look on the bright side -- the LJ downer community (and a few people connected with it) has gained its own private website.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I think we should seriously consider if #69 is the evil alternate universe.

Imagine Sauron the White complaining about the movies and William Cloud Hickli lambasting the Estate, etc etc. We could have Mithadan espousing the ideas of Michael Martinez. Thenamir taking that other political road.

Well I have changed (and synchronised) my sig to reflect the fact I am using both versions as my whimsy takes me

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I agree that we should use just one site and using the barrowodwns.com one sems more plausible. Nevertheless, I'll be checking this one as well... And unlike so many, I'm not enjoying this situation at all... I feel a bit lost and because I refrain from posting on the 'downs because of this problem, I have nothing to do anymore...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Foolin

Well, back up your posts . . . as mine are disappearing.

I'm feeling like the Def Leopard song "Foolin" at least this part:

"I realized that I'M ALL ALONE (caps I added) . . .
Is anybody out there, anybody there
Does anybody wonder, anybody care
Oh, I just gotta know
If your really there and you really care"

So this is a test to see if this post sticks, and I hope this gets resolved and we get some communication to acknowledge someone knows the error even if they don't have time to resolve it . . .
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Okay, I just checked all three sites to see what's been a changing.

forum.barrowdowns.com still is misfunctioning like it has been.

The 69.51.5.41 is still the same.

This site (barrowdowns.com) is the one that's majorly changed. All the old posts from the number site show up and posts that were here on this site are now gone.

But the two sites are not the same. Because while older posts from 69.51.5.41 now show up here, anything posted there since this new change does not show up on barrowdowns.com.

If that makes any sense... But I'm just as confused about the situation as anyone else is...

Anyways, I'll agree with all those who stated we should back up our important posts. Until this problem gets fixed, it looks like there's a good chance you might lose whatever you post...
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Warning! Threads disappearing. Definitely save your posts, not that you weren't going to already. Not just posts though, entire THREADS. I went to post in the admin thread for Legate's WW game and it, among other threads, is gone. *mutters under her breath*

Oh, and it'll probably delete itself again, but I'm going to put that "go to barrowdowns.com" topic back up. Please remember to bump it back up or something so people who still can't access the site will be able to see it. Thanks!

~~Sally~~
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #28
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
One of these threads got me back on the Downs! Thanks to someone...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

This is working normally...