The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Admin Thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth XVIII: The Cottage of Lost Play

History

Beginning with a personal testimonial!

What really turned my mild fascination with the Barrow-downs to an obsession was Werewolf. I started reading games at number 2, and by the time the beautifully evil twist ending of number 3 was over, I was hooked.

Why?

Because it was good storytelling--something like a murder mystery--happening before my eyes.

So I had long ago decided that if I ever joined and modded a game I would want to hold a game that would be so good people would want to read along with it. This is that game.

Premise

If you choose to participate in this game, your primary motive is STILL victory for your team; however, your secondary motive is to make a good story. This is something that we should all work together towards--good, evil, and mod. I am not putting in place any sort of "third person roleplaying" rules--everyone may still post from the first person--but you are NOT allowed to break character. This means that if you have to go to sleep during a DAY phase, don't say anything about it! You're just gone in the game. Nothing off-topic should be placed in the game thread.

"Not breaking character" will not, however, be as difficult as it seems. Your role in this game for narrational purposes is a hybrid of yourself in real life and your Downsian persona. You can develop this character more fully if you'd like, but the main thing is that you should NOT be accustomed to killing.

Narrational background

The premise behind the game is this: you have all been invited to a mysterious and very nicely apportioned Tolkien-themed dinner (specific location to be determined) in a mansion that looks (at least from the outside) incredibly expensive and not a little ominous. You've been chosen for this particular dinner because you're all 'Downers, and the 'Downs is very well known for its bookish discussions. (As such, I would REALLY like to make a rule that you can't play this game unless you've read the books; however, I'm willing to overlook that.) All expenses are paid for.

Too bad the place is a death trap.

Logistics

The game itself will be a classic game. We will have three werewolves, one seer, and one ranger.

Werewolves will only be permitted to PM during the Night phase. After Night One, during each Night phase they may select one person to kill. Unless that person is protected by the Ranger, the victim will be found dead in the morning.

The Seer will send me the name of a person whose role he wishes to determine during each Night phase. I will PM that person back and inform him of the person's role.

The Ranger will send me the name of a person whom he wishes to save. If the Ranger picks the same person as the Werewolves, that person will not die. The person whom the ranger saved will be revealed in the game narration.

All remaining players will be villagers. It is their role to vote on a person to lynch during a Day phase. Werewolves and gifteds will, of course, also be participating in the Day phase as ordinary villagers.

Please cast your votes preceded by two "+" signs, bolded, and on a separate line, like this:

++Mnemosyne

In the event of a tie, for the first two ties only, both candidates will be killed. All ties thereafter will be determined by the flip of a coin.

DAYs will begin and end at 1900 GMT.

All Night picks must be sent to me two hours before the deadline (or 1700 GMT). Picks sent after that time will not be counted.

Narrational Help

For those who are interested in playing this game, I would like the following by PM:

A description of your character
Formal attire for the dinner
Informal attire for the remaining days
A description of what your room looks like
As many canonical Tolkienian deaths as you can think of

Feel free to lie on the first four if you are either a very private person or you think that the game would benefit from having answers other than the truth. I cannot guarantee a use of all of this information (which means maybe you CAN omit some), but I'd like to have a wide array to create some verisimilitude.

Sign-ups

As soon as we hit 13 players we're good to go. Please also let me know what time for deadline works best for you (I CANNOT do 21:00-4:00 GMT; a few hours after/before would work best for me).

Players:
Nessa Telrunya
Inziladun
Shastanis Athreduin
Pitchwife
McCaber
Nogrod
autume98
Boromir88
Lalaith
Nerwen
Rikae
Feanor of the Peredhil
Eonwe

Credits/Research
Just about everything J.R.R. Tolkien ever wrote
"Usher 2" by Ray Bradbury (from The Martian Chronicles)
The Prisoner starring Patrick McGoohan
The very first few TIG games

Last edited by Mnemosyne; 07-20-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I had hoped to be first signup. Woe.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Here's an unexperienced but (usually) well behaved puppy dying to join the pack!

I've spent the last half year or so watching every current game (and reading up on a handful of older ones inbetween), so I hope I won't screw up too badly. As for deadline, everything between 13:00 and 21:00 GMT is fine with me, anything earlier would be difficult, but I'll try to manage.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I will sign up with a question mark. My time just got a bit full, but I would love to play an old-school style storytelling game.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sally reporting for comoddess duty, sir....erm, ma'am.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sounds like fun! And I have always loved these "litterary-ones" - those few we've had. So count me in as well.

As for the deadlines; the nearer to 21GMT the better (and the farthest from 4AM GMT the better). That's what being European on vacation comes down to...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
By the way, if this is the idea we discussed at school....heh, heh, heh.

Come one, come all, join the madness!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hurrah! I shall ask for The Hostess to arrange for a flight to the slightly disturbing mansion from Finland.

And the other places as well, of course...

Editing names in in, like, a minute.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
autume98
Shade of Carn Dûm

autume98 has just left Hobbiton.
Hello,

I'm new here and I would like to join this game.

Thanks!
autume98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*points up*

See, my darling duckling? I told you I'd get more player(s).

Welcome, Tum. Nice to have you! *pokes* Fresh meat, precioussss....
Old 07-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Welcome, Tum. Nice to have you! *pokes* Fresh meat, precioussss....
I think it's really Nerwen incognito, or maybe Gaurcrist.
Anyway, welcome!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fea, all I can say to that is "we'll see..." As long as it ends before August 2nd I can run it just fine. I'd love to have some old-timers on board as they were some of the ones I used to imagine having in the game.

And welcome to the 'Downs, autume98!

Remember, people, the sooner I get personal info the easier it will become for me to get some advance narrations done!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I think it's really Nerwen incognito, or maybe Gaurcrist.
Actually, I have a confession to make: Gaurcrist and I are one and the same anyway.

I was so disappointed that Wilwa didn't make "him" a gifted in WWLXI. That would have been the best cheat ever. *sigh*
Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Actually, I have a confession to make: Gaurcrist and I are one and the same anyway.

I was so disappointed that Wilwa didn't make "him" a gifted in WWLXI. That would have been the best cheat ever. *sigh*
Oddly enough, I haven't seen him around since that game. He and the phantom did a good job of deflecting attention from the real wolves and onto themselves.