The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye The Revised Silmarillion Project

As you I'm sure you all know, there's a subforum on the Barrow-Downs called Translations from the Elvish in which a bold and ambitious project to revise and re-compile the Silmarillion with the benefit of HoME information took place.

This sub-forum was inhabited by those accounted mighty amongst the Downers; Lindil, Aiwendil, Findegil, to name but three. The scholarship involved was immense, with in-depth knowledge on all the published sources required.

As someone who popped in occasionally for a quick look around, the threads were of Byzantine complexity and bewildering for one not involved, and I can only praise the commitment of those who could devote so much time and energy to pushing the project forward.

I was wondering if one or more of the 'involved' could tell us the story so far? Not the Sil itself , but the story of the project. As far as I can see it has gone into hibernation for a while but I suppose these things go in cycles. How far along is the revision? What are the plans for the future? How did the Children of Hurin affect the project? Were there issues with the Estate?