The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2020, 04:08 AM   #9921
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Is #5 a Mewlips reference? The poem actually features "dark and wet" in its second line. The obvious answer would be MARSH (of Tode), but I see the Mewlips don't actually live there; they live Beyond. SLIME, maybe?

Also that's a really creepy poem.

hS
Right poem. Right simile. The simile isn't about the slime or the marsh, though, is it?
Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 AM   #9922
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Copied to the next page.

1. He who harbours this looks out in wonder.
2. Does her bird sing as twilight approaches?
ROAD: A steed with great stamina? Well, he unravels to reveal something else that just goes on and on. (FOTR & ROTK)
SLOE: Hobbits sound leisurely at this point, even without the help of this kind of gin? Upon The Hearth, FOTR).
5. It's in a simile for a dark and wet place.
6. Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is.
ILMARIN: Beach where a sick sailor doesn't hesitate, we hear. (I Sang of Leaves, FOTR)
COLD (WATER): We may be glad of this variety of clear liquid, but its brother is said to be nobler. (Water Hot, FOTR)
ALDER: One of a collection of soporific trees. (Lullaby, The Hobbit)
TINUVIEL: Goodbye to honeyed soil and a Yorkshire atmosphere, since she is gone too? (Farewell Sweet Earth And Northern Sky, The Silmarillion)
11. Goddess embraces mother's first boy here.
OLIPHAUNT: Gandalf 'expletifies' some of his cousins, for Bilbo has forgotten to dust the mantlepiece! (TTT)
NIGHT OF NAUGHT: Head-rhyme *and* pararhyme!? It's nasal! It's nocturnal! It’s nihilistic! (Earendil Was A Mariner, FOTR)
SPELLS: Too many beans at the Unexpected Party? Well, the dwarves made mighty ones, but not only their very pongy soundalikes! (Far Over The Misty Mountains Old, The Hobbit)
Old 07-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #9923
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Right poem. Right simile. The simile isn't about the slime or the marsh, though, is it?
I think I managed to briefly forget the definition of 'simile'. INK?

... VERSIFICATIONS for the password?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #9924
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

V: He who harbours this looks out in wonder.
E: Does her bird sing as twilight approaches?
ROAD: A steed with great stamina? Well, he unravels to reveal something else that just goes on and on. (FOTR & ROTK)
SLOE: Hobbits sound leisurely at this point, even without the help of this kind of gin? (Upon The Hearth, FOTR).
INK: It's in a simile for a dark and wet place. (The Mewlips)
F: Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is.
ILMARIN: Beach where a sick sailor doesn't hesitate, we hear. (I Sang of Leaves, FOTR)
COLD (WATER): We may be glad of this variety of clear liquid, but its brother is said to be nobler. (Water Hot, FOTR)
TINUVIEL: Goodbye to honeyed soil and a Yorkshire atmosphere, since she is gone too? (Farewell Sweet Earth And Northern Sky, The Silmarillion)
I: Goddess embraces mother's first boy here.
OLIPHAUNT: Gandalf 'expletifies' some of his cousins, for Bilbo has forgotten to dust the mantlepiece! (TTT)
NIGHT OF NAUGHT: Head-rhyme *and* pararhyme!? It's nasal! It's nocturnal! It’s nihilistic! (Earendil Was A Mariner, FOTR)
SPELLS: Too many beans at the Unexpected Party? Well, the dwarves made mighty ones, but not only their very pongy soundalikes! (Far Over The Misty Mountains Old, The Hobbit)

Well done.

The second clue is a trick question. Look on page 25, (Arabic numerals, not Roman), of Kullervo.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-07-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #9925
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
V must be for VINGILOT. And the description makes sense for Earendil. But I can't recall a matching line in Bilbo's song. Besides, that song was already used. Is it the other version, Errantry?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #9926
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

VINGELOT: He who harbours this looks out in wonder. (Lost Tales II)
SLOE: Hobbits sound leisurely at this point, even without the help of this kind of gin? (Upon The Hearth, FOTR).
F: Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is.
I: Goddess embraces mother's first boy here.

See above.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #9927
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I: IMLADRIS? Because... it's got 'lad' in the middle, and Boromir was a first-born who carried the rhyme that names it.

hS
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #9928
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

IMLADRIS: Goddess embraces mother's first boy here. (Seek for the Sword that was Broken, FOTR)

Correct, but it's IRIS embracing the first letter of M(other) and LAD.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #9929
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I got as far as FROM + GO, which admittedly is not very far.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #9930
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I got as far as FROM + GO, which admittedly is not very far.
What's another word for kidding?
Old 07-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #9931
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
What's another word for kidding?
Joking. Joshing. Jesting.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #9932
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

More like messing about.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #9933
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
More like messing about.
Teasing? Goofing? Fooling around? Fiddling? Frolicking? I'm trying to incorporate an F in there...
Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #9934
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

One of those is right.

And the song/poem is not in LOTR or TH.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #9935
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

A completely unexplained guess of Felagund / Finrod, because I would kick myself so hard if it was him all along, given that I spent the last several days surrounded by references to him.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:27 AM   #9936
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's a rarer name than that.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:04 AM   #9937
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
One of those is right.

And the song/poem is not in LOTR or TH.
I quite like 'goof', because it's almost 'go off', which could be an order to leave. Then we'd need to stick 'sourcing with direction' on the beginning, which given the F I want to be 'font' + a direction letter.

Except that doesn't come together to make a name, which is a slight problem.

I think at this point we're going to need some hints for both of them. I don't own Kullervo, so that clue can't help me.

hS
Old 07-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #9938
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK, the F clue's answer can be found in HOME 3, 'The Lays Of Beleriand.'

It's not 'goof.' It's one of the others Galadriel suggested, but without the adjacent preposition.

I could take a picture of the relevant page from 'Kullervo,' but could I upload such a picture here, and if so, how?
Old 07-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #9939
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

[QUOTE=Pervinca Took;728124]OK, the F clue's answer can be found in HOME 3, 'The Lays Of Beleriand.'

It's not 'goof.' It's one of the others Galadriel suggested, but without the adjacent preposition. [/quotes]

[Picks up Lays of Beleriand, opens to a random page]

Then he woke in wonder; his wit was healed,
courage him comforted, and he called alloud
Flinding go-Fuilin, to his feet striding.

... FUILIN? As an alternate/early name of Guilin father of Gwindor?

I mean, I can't fit it to any of the rest of the clue, but that's never stopped me before!

Quote:
I could take a picture of the relevant page from 'Kullervo,' but could I upload such a picture here, and if so, how?
Um. The Downs doesn't have its own image hosting, does it? In which case, I think you'd need to upload it somewhere (imgur is pretty simple to use) and use the Insert Image button to add it to a post.

Or put it up on a Google Doc and link to it? I don't know, anything like that.

hS
Old 07-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #9940
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

FLINDING-GO-FUILIN: Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is. (The Lays Of Beleriand)
IMLADRIS: Goddess embraces mother's first boy here. (Seek for the Sword that was Broken, FOTR)

Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is.

Sourcing = FINDING
Sourcing with direction = FLINDING
An order to leave = GO
Sounds like kidding = FUILIN

Simples!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-17-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #9941
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
... FUILIN? As an alternate/early name of Guilin father of Gwindor?

I mean, I can't fit it to any of the rest of the clue, but that's never stopped me before!
Good find!

I don't have Kullervo either, and Google doesn't yield an easily accessible character list from that work. I feel like we might need to either capitulate on this one, or beg for a clue we can solve working forwards.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #9942
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK then. From page 25 of 'The Story Of Kullervo' :-

'When the sun to rest has sunken
And the bird of Eve is singing
As the twilight draweth closer
Speak thou to my horned creatures
Saying come ye hoofed cattle
Come ye homeward trending homeward.'
Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #9943
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
And the bird of Eve is singing
Yeah, this one had to be given to us. I would never have been able to guess it without your quote.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #9944
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

VINGELOT: He who harbours this looks out in wonder. (The Shores Of Faery, Lost Tales II)
EVE: Does her bird sing as twilight approaches? (The Story Of Kullervo, Page 25)
FLINDING-GO-FUILIN: Sourcing with direction precedes an order to leave - sounds like kidding, though! Well, there he is. (The Lays Of Beleriand)

I wanted to include some of the rarer tomes and verses too.

About Vingelot: although Wingelot is the spelling in 'The Shores Of Faery' as it's printed in Lost Tales II, Vingelot does appear in footnotes as a variant.

Well done, thank you for your patience, and over, I think, to Huinesoron!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-19-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #9945
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Phew - that was a tough one! Nicely done, Pervinca.

I do remember I need to do this, and I even have an idea - just haven't put it together yet.

EDIT: And now I have.

1. - Monstrous craven lord
2. - A dullard slow
3. - Faithless lords untrue
4. - Robber
5. - Poor rejected beggar
6. - Fickle folk
7. - Wrought of lies and guile

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 07-20-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Password!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #9946
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
3 sounds like that person.

So does 5.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #9947
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And Salgant was described as a craven in the text, and was an accomplice during the FoG.

Therefore, I will deduce say that 1 is Salgant and 3 is Glindur. You're welcome.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #9948
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
And Salgant was described as a craven in the text, and was an accomplice during the FoG.

Therefore, I will deduce say that 1 is Salgant and 3 is Glindur. You're welcome.
Hi! Given how long the last password went on, it feels like ages since I've seen you.

Anyway, no to either of these.

hS
Old 07-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #9949
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Hi! Given how long the last password went on, it feels like ages since I've seen you.

Anyway, no to either of these.

hS

It would have been fitting, though.

Could the last one be the One Ring?

Then again, the password would end in either T or O, and it would be an atypical ending to one...

Old 07-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #9950
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Theme seems to be untrustworthy folk or things, to which both Salgant and Glindur would fit in.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #9951
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

5. Saruman?
Old 07-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #9952
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

6. ELVES, who say both Yes and No?
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #9953
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Could the last one be the One Ring?

Then again, the password would end in either T or O, and it would be an atypical ending to one...
It is not.

Quote:
Theme seems to be untrustworthy folk or things, to which both Salgant and Glindur would fit in.
And this is not the theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
5. Saruman?
Nope.

Quote:
6. ELVES, who say both Yes and No?
No.

Well, yes, in that the answer is some subset of elves, but no.

hS
Old 07-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #9954
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. Wormtongue?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #9955
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

6. Noldor?

Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #9956
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
4. - Robber
Bilbo?

Quote:
7. - Wrought of lies and guile
The Nazgul?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #9957
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
5. Wormtongue?
Nope.

Quote:
6. Noldor?
Nope, but the same sort of nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Bilbo?

The Nazgul?
Nope nope.

The question 'according to who?' was on my mind while making this one. Not sure if that'll help.

hS
Old 07-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #9958
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Teleri/Sindar?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #9959
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
4. - Robber
According to who...Well Melkor was a thief according to...everyone, but mainly Feanor.

And Bilbo was a "burglar" according to the Dwarves and Smaug.

And Frodo was a thief according to Gollum (at least in the movies Gollum directly called Frodo a thief. I don't remember the books very well).

And technically Luthien and Beren were thieves since they stole the Silmarils from Melkor.

I don't recall anyone being directly called a robber. Maybe the Sackville Baggins for stealing Bilbo's spoons?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #9960
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Teleri/Sindar?
Debatably also 'no in the same sense'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
According to who...Well Melkor was a thief according to...everyone, but mainly Feanor.

And Bilbo was a "burglar" according to the Dwarves and Smaug.

And Frodo was a thief according to Gollum (at least in the movies Gollum directly called Frodo a thief. I don't remember the books very well).

And technically Luthien and Beren were thieves since they stole the Silmarils from Melkor.

I don't recall anyone being directly called a robber. Maybe the Sackville Baggins for stealing Bilbo's spoons?
Tolkien would almost certainly have distinguished between burglar (breaks into a house to steal stuff), thief (steals from someone without their knowledge) and robber (steals from someone by threat or use of force). Melkor, Bilbo, and Beren and Luthien were all burglars; Bilbo (for the Ring) and Lobelia were thieves. I believe the burglary trumps the use of force in Melkor's case, though I can't say for sure. Ungoliant was an (attempted) robber when she attacked Melkor. It's not her, though.

In this case, the word is straight from the text. Whether it's true or not... ah, that would be telling.

hS