The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2004, 07:49 PM   #441
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Methinks he doth cry foul too much ...

Professor Hedgethistle! Are you daring to suggest that I would not have got it without the Cellar Door discussion? Harumph indeed to that!

Actually, it's one of those passages from the Letters that really sticks in my mind. Can't think why ...
Old 12-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #442
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Oh, SpM, you left out some of the best bits, which I shall quote here before I have to turn the thread over to you.

Quote:
I stood the hot-air they let off as long as I could; but when I head the Yank burbling about 'Feudalism' and its results on English class-distinctions and social behavour, I opened a broadside. The poor boob had not, of course, the very faintest notions about 'Feudalism', or history at all--being a chemical engineer.
I can just imagine the scene.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #443
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots We don't have to wait 'til Christmas to open this thread, do we?

I think SpM has forgotten about this thread too and not only the Musical thread.

A quiz if you please, Mr. SaucepanMan.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #444
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Oops. I keep losing track of which Quiz threads I'm on. Must be getting out of practice ...

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay, together with this early Christmas present:

In what circumstances did Tolkien adopt the title of Member for Longbottom, and in what way was it appropriate to him?

Shouldn't be too difficult, I suspect.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:32 AM   #445
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Can you give a little clue to this one, Saucy? I have no idea where to start looking; it sounds like something that could have belonged to the time of his youth and the clubs that were begun then, but must have been after the writing of LotR.

As to the reason it would be appropriate, I assume because of his "love of the Halflings' leaf"...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 AM   #446
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
*Esty pokes Saucy...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #447
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

I'm sorry. I had overlooked this one.

A hint? Look in the Letters.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #448
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Praise Scull and Hammond for an excellent index - praise them with great praise! I was able to find this answer without reading the Letters in their entirety. Tolkien agreed to an informal association with the Tolkien Society of America and suggested that he would
Quote:
as an inveterate pipe smoker be happy to accept the title of Member for Longbottom...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #449
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Indeed. It's one of my favourite Letters for showing Tolkien's gentle humour and, indeed, humility.

And I am surprised no one got it earlier, given that we are here a Tolkien society of sorts, albeit a truly international one.

Have at it, Esty ...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #450
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which hotel was the Tolkiens' home away from home, where Edith especially felt comfortable and found many friends?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #451
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Green Dragon!

(Had to be said.)
Old 01-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #452
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Edith and the Green Dragon?? Hotel - Ho-tel - not pub...
Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #453
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Hotel Miramar? Along the south coast of England, I believe.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #454
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one, Tuor! It's in Bournemouth, which is on the south coast of England, as you state. Go ahead with a new question!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #455
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Pipe

Okay.

What is the significance of Maitland Street for JRRT?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #456
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Tolkien was born in a house on that street in Bloemfontein S. Africa, I believe.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 01-17-2005 at 03:49 PM. Reason: specifics
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM   #457
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Correct. Your turn.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 AM   #458
Scent of Simbelmynë

What was the position JRRT accepted in 1925?
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #459
Scent of Simbelmynë

takers? no?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #460
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I believe that 1925 was the year that he moved to Oxford to take up the position of Professor of Anglo-Saxon and Fellow of Pembroke College.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #461
Scent of Simbelmynë

*grins fiendishly*

Indeed, but the professorship he accepted was a specific one, with a specific name...
Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #462
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

He accepted the post of Rawlingson Professor of Anglo-Saxon.
Apologies for not being more specific in my original answer, I've been away from the 'Downs for quite a while
Old 01-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #463
Scent of Simbelmynë

It's Rawlinson and Bosworth, technically. But since you're so close you may go, Eruanna.

It is good to see you around... I haven't been re-haunting the downs all that long myself, so I can't tell who's been here all along and who hasn't.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #464
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

Good to be back isn't it?

I've had a hard time coming up with a question not previously asked, but here goes:

In 1992, The Tolkien Society and The Mythopoeic Society decided to celebrate the centenary of Professor Tolkien's birth by doing something that Samwise would undoubtedly have approved of. What did they do?

Last edited by Eruanna; 01-30-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #465
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

Oh dear! Have I killed the thread?
I can offer a clue if needed.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #466
Scent of Simbelmynë

Probably not dead, but hibernating, perhaps.

I could use a clue
Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 AM   #467
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Wasn't that the first year of the simultaneous, world-wide toast? At something like 18h00 GMT participants from around the world hoisted their choice of libation in honour of the Professor.

It still happens every year, I think -- I've not yet partaken of the ritual, although I think that perhaps it's time the Downs makes an effort to promote it!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM   #468
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

The toast sounds a very good idea, but not what I was looking for. Perhaps I should have said that the Forest Elves would also have approved.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:40 AM   #469
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Did they plant one or more trees?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #470
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

They did, indeed

The Tolkien Society and the Mythopoeic Society bought two trees which were planted in the University Parks, Oxford. A memorial bench was placed nearby. The two trees are named for those other two trees. Telperion is a silver-leafed Maple and Laurelin a False Acacia.

Ask away Estelyn
Old 02-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #471
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

In which art form was Tolkien less skilled than his wife Edith? As a matter of fact, he claimed to understand little about it, though he enjoyed it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #472
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Painting! It was painting! Was it painting?

Maybe it was singing. . .

I'm sticking with Painting! Absolutely. Painting Painting Painting.

(But maybe singing.)
Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #473
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No No No. Sorry - and ain't it satisfying to be able to stump you, Fordie?! It was not painting or a related visual art form. (Think in general terms, not specific performing abilities...)
Old 02-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #474
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

Like Fordim, I thought this would be singing or dancing...Tolkien loved to watch Edith dance. She also played piano if I recall correctly.
However, I seem to remember something in his biography about Edith being shy and yet a good practitioner of the art of conversation, better than him in fact... Three guesses in one post...Am I getting warmer?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #475
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As a semi-guess, I think I read something to this effect in the HC biography, was it the theater (theatre )?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #476
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Actually, I was taking Tolkien's reference in Letter #260 as the basis for this question, so the general art I meant was simply "music". Eruanna comes closest by stating that Edith played piano, so she's entitled to the win and the next question. Here's the quote:
Quote:
I have little musical knowledge. Though I come of a musical family, owing to defects of education and opportunity as an orphan, such music as was in me was submerged (until I married a musician), or transformed into linguistic terms.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #477
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

I think you are being very kind to me Estelyn, thank you
Here's another question:

Quote:
"-------------- seemed incredibly lovely, elvishly lovely--to me like a dream of Old Gondor, or Pelargir of the Numenorean Ships, before the return of the Shadow."
Which European city is Tolkien referring to?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #478
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That has to be Venice - I remember reading that in the biography.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #479
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Silmaril

Venice is correct
Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #480
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which card game did JRRT enjoy, sometimes playing it instead of doing the things he really wanted to accomplish?