The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #161
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Does anyone know where Nerwen is?
Some weird place called "Australia". I hear they have to wear velcro shoes to keep from falling off the earth.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #162
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Okay, so, since no one has objected to it, would everyone please tell me which person you would have selected for your cure yesterday/last night if you were Sam?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #163
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
(Ha ha- say Fea's version of Lottie out loud. )

And she called you a jerk because she loves that tunnel more than she loves you.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #164
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post

And she called you a jerk because she loves that tunnel more than she loves you.
It's your turn now. Lovely.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #165
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Okay, so, since no one has objected to it, would everyone please tell me which person you would have selected for your cure yesterday/last night if you were Sam?
Probably Bom for me. He came out of the gate acting as if he'd known you for years. That, or he's been stalking you here. Uncanny, I called it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #166
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Probably Bom for me. He came out of the gate acting as if he'd known you for years. That, or he's been stalking you here. Uncanny, I called it.
If you'll recall, I actually remarked on that yesterday. Old member, new account? Longtime lurker? Certainly seems to know whose back to scratch anyway.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #167
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
If you'll recall, I actually remarked on that yesterday. Old member, new account? Longtime lurker? Certainly seems to know whose back to scratch anyway.
Exactly.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #168
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I am here. Alas, my velcro shoes came off and I floated off into space for a bit, but all is well now.

Which is to say, I was seeing my brother and sister-and-law off at the airport on a late flight, and because they're both loonies who couldn't organise their way out of a paper bag, there were many, many hassles. Didn't get much sleep.

I'll give my thoughts in due course.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #169
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I've only been lurking since . . . sometime late last year? I forget. But I latched on to phantom the first time I saw him . . . reading Tol-in-Gaurhoth I and being amazed by his deduction.

Anyway, yeah, given that phantom had impressed me so much previously, I went straight to following him around. I just hope I don't turn out to be blindly following a phantlob.

Anyway, were I Sam, I would've cured Lhuna.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #170
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm here, and my brain is 'sploding with words, and only some of them have to do with Fea's awesome/hilarious nickname.

Zil: It's been a while since I've played with him, but something strikes me as off...not sure yet, but he tops my list.

tp: The way he labelled Wilwa and I innocent yesterDay made me think that he could be Shetom, preparing excuses for links between him and future Spiderlings, but I think he'd choose different people if that were the case. Since he's tp, unexplained assertions really wouldn't go questioned, no matter who he chose to unexplainedly assert things about.

Fea and BomTom strike me as innocent. And fun. But for the purposes of this post, primarily innocent.

Everyone else is just sort of hovering in the blackness like some sort of unidentified thing that hovers. UFOs, they are...

EDIT: xed with BomTom
Old 05-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #171
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
phantom, dear, you never cease to amaze with your uncanny powers of interpretation.

How you jumped from "Will someone please hold my hand?" to "Lhuna is either Shelob or a Been-Stung" baffles me. Well of course there were a lot of other skippingstones along the way - which you enumerated - but I dare think that if my first post didn't give you that idea, you would have reached a different hypothesis about me. Or reached the same hypothesis, but felt less strongly about it. Or ignored me completely.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #172
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

IMPORTANT NOTE: This post is especially for Bom. If you are not Bom, read at your own risk. If you particularly dislike me or are feeling hostile towards me at the moment, definitely don't read this post, as it will result in uncontrollable fist-shaking, temporary gagging, and spasms of eye-rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom
I've only been lurking since . . . sometime late last year? I forget. But I latched on to phantom the first time I saw him . . . reading Tol-in-Gaurhoth I and being amazed by his deduction.
Ah, but WW 1 was only the beginning- when all of us were at our least refined. If you truly wish to see Phantom masterpieces, read these threads-

WW 2- This one was hosted by SPM, and though our styles hadn't entirely settled, I still have to include it as it was a well earned Wolf victory for me.

WW 4- This game, modded by TGWBS, was notable in that it was the first ever innocent win. I did my part to help, but the most notable thing about my involvement was my request for lynching volunteers on the first day of the game. It was hilarious and sort of set the tone for what it meant to be Phantom- amusing and predictably unpredictable.

One Saga to Rule Them All!!- This Wilwa modded game was just delightful for Boro, Lal, and I, the unlynched victorious WWs. If you enjoy slaughter of Ordos, this is a game for you.

Psychotic Penguins- This gem, hosted by Nog and Lommy, definitely ranks as one of my favorites. In a period of four days we villagers managed to lynch the three WWs and the Cobbler, and thanks to a lovely set-up from SeerLal I was able to pretend to be the Hunter though I was but an Ordo. It was a riot!

Dueling Wizards II- This mountain of a game was masterfully hosted by Nog and took a huge huge investment of time on my part (I was a wizard). The extremely memorable thing in this game is (besides my entertaining posts obviously) the incredible accuracy of all of my nightly selections. The Opera Ghost was on fire, my friends.

At the Source of Darkness- This ruins-exploring adventure, dreamed up by Mac & Rikae, required my partner Wolf (Lommy) and I to walk a fine line, and we did it! Want to learn how to be a good WW? Take notes on this one.

The Republic- Fea's amazing Rep-voting style game was arguably as great a performance as I've ever had as a good-guy. Boro and I ran an amazing double-act that is just gripping to read, and we successfully put three WWs into the ground before we were Night-killed. Unfortunately the remaining WW was never caught (Brin managed quite the escape), but it doesn't undo the previous brilliance.

Chess Game For Middle Earth- This extremely creative contest, Shasta's baby, was absolutely thrilling beginning to end! The end was notable in that it in fact didn't happen, but we all still remember it fondly, and I was un-friggin-believable as the Cobbler. But believe it or not, it's possible that it wasn't my best ever Cobbler performance, because....

Halls of Mandos- I was just beautiful in this recent Mac & Rikae hosted party. I mean, seriously, if I'm not mistaken I actually danced a little jig and jumped up and down at the finish- quite the reaction for someone who always expects to be awesome. That ought to tell you that I went beyond the normal bounds of greatness.

Now, the following games are special due to the fact that they were moderated by yours truly. *bows* Each was quite revolutionary in its time, and the play was fantastic!

Erbar Telamarth- I set out quite a fun story in this one, and even after the game was over there was fun to be had, as I had hidden various "Easter Eggs" throughout my narratives that players were encouraged to find after the contest. Also, my final day final narration that came in bits and pieces was just edge-of-seat stuff (I kept everyone guessing).

With a Twist- I'd love to tell you all about this game, but it would ruin the twist. Fea helped me with writing the confusing narration which then makes sense at the finish when a huge twist is revealed! It was definitely one of the most evil plots I've ever come up with.

Werewolf- this time it's real! Now this one was very unique in that the game started out like an RPG and then turned into a horrifying game of real life Werewolf! The premise- present day, and Middle Earth is real! You'll just have to read it.

And then also deserving a spot on the list is the brave Legate who dared to enact an evil plot of mine that I discussed with him privately. The plot? Have a false Day 1. *snicker*
Prison of Ice

(PS Bom- if you read too many of these threads at once, you may experience what is known as a Phantogasm. Though it is an amazingly awesome thing, there are negative side-effects which may include temporary blind obedience, loss of reasoning skills, and depression when reading any thread Phantom hasn't posted on. If I were you, I'd take it slow.)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #173
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
phantom, dear, you never cease to amaze with your uncanny powers of interpretation.
Aw, shucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
but I dare think that if my first post didn't give you that idea, you would have reached a different hypothesis about me. Or reached the same hypothesis, but felt less strongly about it. Or ignored me completely.
You are correct. My entire approach to you was entirely shaped by that first post. Yes, Shena, that was what did it. And that is why tomorrow I plan to squash you like the spider queen you are. (Again, I'm not doing it today because the Shelob gift would just shift people and then I'd be at square one again.)

But until then we can be friends. So, first question- who would you have cured yesterday/night?

Second question- what is your estimate on how many episodes before Castle and Kate get together?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #174
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ah, so now if Bomderling appears too knowledgeable for a noob we'll all understand why, right, phantlob?

EDIT:X'd with phantom.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #175
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

He already is too smart for a Noob, Shewen (not accusing you, just using Fea's delightful names). I was just sort of wanting an excuse to sing my praises.

(I finished with my finals today, you see, and I did great on them and I'm feeling super super happy to be done and pleased with myself in general. Then in comes Bom and.... like gasoline on a flame.)
Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #176
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Side note- Ever since I posted that list of threads I've been waiting for Shasta to run in and say, "That does it!!" and declare me evil on grounds that I'm annoying.

He must be busy tonight.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #177
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Bleh. I need sleep. I'll be around the final five hours or so. *waves*
Old 05-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #178
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So I watched Batman tonight. You know, the one with the plant lady? Yeah. And the last scene, where they're running all sillouette-y with their capes fluttering? Best scene of the movie.

So what that basically boils down to is, I wish wish wish that I could call tp evil, but...

Now: I've never played with Lhuna before, so I don't know if it's normal for her, but her most recent post especially reads kind of forcedly to me. Not sure what that's about, but I'll wait for people who know her playing style better to start talking about her.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #179
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Side note- Ever since I posted that list of threads I've been waiting for Shasta to run in and say, "That does it!!" and declare me evil on grounds that I'm annoying.

He must be busy tonight.
Well, my pearl is generally right about these things... so is this a confession?

Besides, why in Middle-earth isn't Under the Misty Mountains on that list?

On a more serious note: what's all this about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
And Nog is here. I don't know if he's still good today, but he was good yesterday (aka not Shelob).
EDIT:X'd with phantom and Lottie.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #180
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
You are correct. My entire approach to you was entirely shaped by that first post. Yes, Shena, that was what did it.
May I at least know why? Or, more appropriately, how?

Quote:
(Again, I'm not doing it today because the Shelob gift would just shift people and then I'd be at square one again.)
I was under the impression that the shifting happens only when Shelob is lynched without a definite spawn. But now she does.

Quote:
But until then we can be friends. So, first question- who would you have cured yesterday/night?
Could ex-fiancees in the distant past ever be friends? I'm not entirely sure your question would be as helpful as you think it would be (but then I could never hope to think like you, my brain would probably explode), but for the sake of discussion...

Hmm. Not me, because I know what I am. Also because you hinted at Samming me yesterDay, and as much as possible I wouldn't want you to direct my actions.

So. I think I'll pass. Maybe for now, maybe not.

Quote:
Second question- what is your estimate on how many episodes before Castle and Kate get together?
Now this one's more tricky. I predict the season finale will drive a wedge between them, but not for long. I'd say within the first half of the next season.

x'd with the phantom, Loslote, and Nerwen

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-07-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #181
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Not me, because I know what I am.
If I may add, I also know what I am not. In case that sentence standing alone gives you ideas.

I am a bit wary of the phantom declaring wilwa and Lottie innocent, I can't put it past you to hide behind that. Also there's not much to suspect concretely at this point because it's been relatively quiet (albeit slightly chatty ) in this darkness.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #182
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This post is especially for Bom. If you are not Bom, read at your own risk. If you particularly dislike me or are feeling hostile towards me at the moment, definitely don't read this post, as it will result in uncontrollable fist-shaking, temporary gagging, and spasms of eye-rolling.
Well, you'll notice that all of my masterpieces have been when we are on the same side working a tremendous duo of smiting. Whilst all my failures typically happen when we are opposed and I try secret plots to undo all your brilliant scheming.

I feel safe to say, I think I see what you're up to now and I'm on board. I will also point you to my posts, where I'm sure you can deduce what I have been doing....obviously. I live dangerously, you know this...

If I was Sam, and I wanted to use my one cure chance, it would have been Lhuna last night. I may not have spent it so early considering the odds. However, if the ones I trusted more were leaving Lhuna to cure in my hands, I would have done it.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #183
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. I'm not sure whether this "who would you have protected were you Sam" -thing is a good idea or not. If everyone says they would have protected Lhuna (well, she was the only person based on yesterDay one could have a reason to try and heal, others I think would have been more or less shots in the dark) and Sam goes along saying the same truthfully, then we know that Lhuna is innocent toDay whether stinged on N1 or not. That would be good.

But the downside is that if Sam didn't try to heal Lhuna last Night for whichever reason he had he's now in trouble. Saying he tried to heal Lhuna gives us a possibly misleading confidence that Lhuna is a "known innocent", but giving another name would make him stand out from the others in a way Sam wouldn't probably like to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
If I was Sam, and I wanted to use my one cure chance, it would have been Lhuna last night. I may not have spent it so early considering the odds.
I think we read the rules differently here. I think Sam has a right to try to heal someone every D/N -cycle + he acts as a ranger during the Night. Here is the rule:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules for making cupcakes
He can save people from being stung by Shelob in the Night, but if he does not succeed, his obligation to them is not finished. He may still save the person who was bitten, and has one chance to do so within the Day/Night following a victim’s attack. He may use this one chance at any time between the Dawn following an attack and the Dawn at which a victim would turn into one of Shelob’s children. This second chance to save someone will be in addition to regular Nightly save until such time as it would be too easy for him to prevent Shelob’s attacks entirely (which I will be happy to discuss with the village).
So, Sam does two things, plays the ranger and the healer, both of them unlimited times but only once in a D/N cycle. Is this correct, Sally?

On another thought. There was one "prime time" discussion set while I slept and what you guys managed to do was one page of banter and tp beating Zaphord Beeblebrox characterwise.

Sadly I'm not able to hang around right now, but I will be back later and will try to do something better than this.

(There is an ice hockey world championships match between Finland and Slovakia beginning three hours from the DL, but I'm not that enthusiast ice hockey fan I'd need to concentrate on it the whole game, but it will certainly distract me for a while... )
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #184
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Okay. I'm not sure whether this "who would you have protected were you Sam" -thing is a good idea or not. If everyone says they would have protected Lhuna (well, she was the only person based on yesterDay one could have a reason to try and heal, others I think would have been more or less shots in the dark) and Sam goes along saying the same truthfully, then we know that Lhuna is innocent toDay whether stinged on N1 or not. That would be good.
It's not "who would you have protected?", it's "who would you have healed? ("Who would you have protected?" really would be a Sam-trap!) And it couldn't actually make Lhuna a known innocent, just a known not-stung– disproving phantom's theory that her first post was a cry for help. (Which I don't see much in, anyway.)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #185
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

I am going to have to vote soon, anyway.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #186
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
If everyone says they would have protected Lhuna (well, she was the only person based on yesterDay one could have a reason to try and heal, others I think would have been more or less shots in the dark)
This caught my eye and made me think.

In the first place, whose idea was it yesterDay that Lhuna might need Sam's help?

And who's attempting to tap into Sam's mind toDay by trying to get everyone to think like a Sam?

No, phantom, I'm not saying you're manipulative. I'm really not sure how to describe you at this point.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #187
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I am here. Alas, my velcro shoes came off and I floated off into space for a bit, but all is well now.
Ah, good to hear. Just watch out for the koalas. I hear they have five-inch teeth and acid for blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Anyway, yeah, given that phantom had impressed me so much previously, I went straight to following him around. I just hope I don't turn out to be blindly following a phantlob.
That's why you've got to watch the tricksy phantom. He's always got some plot going, and the ends of those plots are not always clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Zil: It's been a while since I've played with him, but something strikes me as off...not sure yet, but he tops my list.
I'm quite 'off', but no more than usual.

Quote:
tp: The way he labelled Wilwa and I innocent yesterDay made me think that he could be Shetom, preparing excuses for links between him and future Spiderlings, but I think he'd choose different people if that were the case. Since he's tp, unexplained assertions really wouldn't go questioned, no matter who he chose to unexplainedly assert things about.
And that's how he does it; things others would be suspected for are written off as just phantom being phantom.

Quote:
Fea and BomTom strike me as innocent. And fun. But for the purposes of this post, primarily innocent.
I don't see what makes either of them particularly innocent. I haven't seen much of Fea. And I can't go along with what Nog said about her subbing for the mysterious Laura being a sign of her likely innocence. That shouldn't be a factor.

Lottie is coming across as rather quiet and careful. And no songs, still! Worrisome.

Quote:
Where is Shasta? Busy innocent or sinister spider?

Quote:
I still question the value, because there's no way of knowing if people are being truthful.

x/d with two Nerwens and a Lhuna

Last edited by Inziladun; 05-07-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #188
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:

But the downside is that if Sam didn't try to heal Lhuna last Night for whichever reason he had he's now in trouble. Saying he tried to heal Lhuna gives us a possibly misleading confidence that Lhuna is a "known innocent", but giving another name would make him stand out from the others in a way Sam wouldn't probably like to.
There's another possibility. Maybe Sam did choose Lhuna, but Lhuna wasn't the target; Sam was. In that case knowing Same chose Lhuna would really not mean much at all, Lhuna could have still been the one stung the day before, or she could be Shelob. If I was Sam I probably would have chosen Lhuna, because a lot of people seemed to think that was a good idea, and I think a lot of people will say they would have chosen Lhuna if they were Sam (which makes me think Shelob did not sting Lhuna, knowing Sam had probably chosen her; therefore Shelob's target was likely Sam himself). So if Sam was the target, then knowing who his choice was isn't really important. That's why to me the whole exercise doesn't seem overly productive.

We have to consider the distinct possibility that Sam was the target (I feel like this is the likely situation), which means Shelob knows who he is and super wants him dead. (and her spawn also wants him dead) So we just need to keep an eye out for two people who seem to really want a certain person dead, with maybe weak reasons for it, and they could be guilty. Also, if we do end up accidently lynching Sam, then we could just look into who seemed to really want that person dead.

I think it could end up being a positive thing if Shelob is aware of Sam's identity this early. She can't kill him at Night, being lynched is the only threat to him, so in order to get him killed Shelob and her spawn need to really push a case against Sam, and if they succeed then a lot of attention could be brought to them the next Day, so it's super risky for them.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 05-07-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #189
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIl
Ah, good to hear. Just watch out for the koalas. I hear they have five-inch teeth and acid for blood.
Yes, but they mostly keep to the trees. It's the man-eating kangaroos that are the real hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote
I don't see what makes either of them particularly innocent. I haven't seen much of Fea. And I can't go along with what Nog said about her subbing for the mysterious Laura being a sign of her likely innocence. That shouldn't be a factor.
Yes– what is with people in this game just declaring other people to be innocent? They can't be preparing for reveals (false or otherwise), and it doesn't really make sense as hinting either, so what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
There's another possibility. Maybe Sam did choose Lhuna, but Lhuna wasn't the target; Sam was. In that case knowing Same chose Lhuna would really not mean much at all, Lhuna could have still been the one stung the day before, or she could be Shelob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
If I was Sam I probably would have chosen Lhuna, because a lot of people seemed to think that was a good idea, and I think a lot of people will say they would have chosen Lhuna if they were Sam (which makes me think Shelob did not sting Lhuna, knowing Sam had probably chosen her; therefore Shelob's target was likely Sam himself). So if Sam was the target, then knowing who his chose was isn't really important. That's why to me the whole exercise doesn't seem overly productive.
As I understand it, Sam has had a shot at both healing someone and at protecting someone– not necessarily the same person– in fact probably not. (If I'm wrong about this, could our moddess please clarify?) We know the protection was successful, unless as you say the target was Sam himself. I've been assuming the cure was unsuccessful, or Sally would have said something about it. Though now I think about it, she didn't say, "the stung has been turned", either.

Anyway, I wouldn't be so sure Sam followed phantom's orders. For all you know he might have found the way he was pushing for Lhuna alarming.

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #190
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

It just occurred to me - sally said "Shelob was not able to sting anyone last Night." What if it means just that, Shelob missed the DL and was indeed not able to sting? Do we get to be told details like this, Moddess, or are we left to speculate how it is that there is no new Been-Stung?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #191
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Okay, really got to vote, and I haven't come up with anything better, so–

++the phantom++

Simply because he's the person most clearly up to something. Of course he always is, and maybe I'm being really unfair, and it's all some brilliant scheme to save the village. About half the village seems to be part of it anyway. However it seems to me that, though the Lhuna scheme did make some sense, having everyone discuss Sam so much was rather in the villains' interests. The Glirdywaggon was a shady-looking vehicle, too.

Well, that's the best I can come up with right now.

Good luck.

EDIT:X'd Lhunatic.

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-07-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #192
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
It just occurred to me - sally said "Shelob was not able to sting anyone last Night." What if it means just that, Shelob missed the DL and was indeed not able to sting? Do we get to be told details like this, Moddess, or are we left to speculate how it is that there is no new Been-Stung?
That didn't occur to me– but anyway, the way Sally worded it, I think she's being as ambiguous as possible. But maybe she'll surprise us.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #193
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
That does it. Phantom is obviously evil on the grounds that he's being annoying.

Now that that I'd out of the way... I'm still uncomfortable with Nog from yesterday, but I'd like to put Boro and His Egotisticalness on notice - these veiled hints and other shenanigans aren't going to fly this game. Right now, when we only have one spiderling to worry about, is fine. Once there are two, though, remember that they aren't allowed to communicate except through Shelob, and they don't want to kill each other off (obviously), leaving the thread their only means of finding each other at all. Shenanigans only benefit the spiderlings, in my opinion, since there aren't really nightkills to speak of. So if you're lings, you'll use them to communicate right under our noses, and if you're not then the real lings will be using your antics as cover to communicate. Either way it's bad, right?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #194
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I think we read the rules differently here. I think Sam has a right to try to heal someone every D/N -cycle + he acts as a ranger during the Night. Here is the rule:
So, Sam does two things, plays the ranger and the healer, both of them unlimited times but only once in a D/N cycle. Is this correct, Sally?
Clarification would be appreciated here, because I read the "one chance" to heal the suspected bitten person, as only a one time change. And then Sam each night, is like a standard ranger with protecting someone.

However, the "second chance" is a bit confusing and definitely changes things, if your interpretation is correct, Nog, then I would say Sam did not cure Lhuna and chose to protect someone. Either that, Sam did choose to cure Lhuna and Shelob tried to sting Sam. *sigh* Nerwen's right, our dear moddess is being dubiously ambiguous.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #195
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right. Even though not everyone has spoken, enough people have spoken to strengthen my resolve on a few ideas I had, and that will have to be enough for today.

1) I believe Shelob has a spiderling now
2) I believe Shelob attacked Sam
3) Possible Shelobs are Lhuna, Nog, Shasta, Inzil
5) Possible Spiderlings are Boro, Fea, Nerwen

If my hunches are correct, Phantom, Wilwa, Lottie, and Bom would be our worst choices for a lynch.

Fea, Nerwen, and Inzil aren't particularly great choices either, as they have been included more on the grounds that I felt I could not rule them out.

Shasta and Nog I was hoping to see more from in hopes that I could remove them from the list, but they haven't had opportunity to post much. So the jury is still out on them until such time as I get to talk with them a bit today.

Lhuna is, to my mind, playing oddly (not how I remember her in times past). I don't believe her to be a Spiderling, but she could well be a Shelob knowing that if she dies her gift would transfer anyway. I'm still tempted to lynch her on Day 3.

Now Boro could very well be our not-so-friendly neighborhood Spiderman (Spiderling). You'll see that yesterday I pointed out that his opening post indicated he was potentially sick (had been stung), and if Sam did indeed attempt to cure Lhuna but Boro was the bite victim, he is now a fully fledged Spiderling and has switched sides on us.

Also, to address the possibility that Sam was attacked and thus Shelob knows who Sam is.... Rather than attack Sam immediately, Shelob could very well opt to spend the first day attempting to off anyone that looks likely to support Sam (try to lynch a supporter and then try and sting a supporter) and then go after Sam, but in a way that gets her hands less dirty (e.g. send orders to her Spiderling to try and get a certain individual lynched). We ought to keep an eye out for that as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #196
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Now that that I'd out of the way... I'm still uncomfortable with Nog from yesterday, but I'd like to put Boro and His Egotisticalness on notice - these veiled hints and other shenanigans aren't going to fly this game.
Glad to hear it and glad to see you're the one who will do it. I don't see everyone's paranoia with the phantom. I mean yeah it's easy to hate the ego, but not all plots are devised by evil. Heard of that Elrond and Gandalf guy sending Mr. Frodo to sneak into Mordor? I was nodding to the fact that I see what he's trying to do by vehemently declaring Wilwa and Lottie innocent and that I shall let him go about his business, unopposed, because I feel safe to say we want the same thing.

So, yeah, I think you're wrong about tp, but I was extremely close to following your vote against Nog. I wish you didn't make your case that close to the DL, I had not enough time to think and make such snap vote when I was trying to see what tp wanted to do with Lhuna.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #197
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
It's not "who would you have protected?", it's "who would you have healed?
Heh. One of the main points of my post was to remind everyone of the double role Sam has as both a ranger and a healer, and then I myself use the term "protecting" when I mean "trying to heal someone"... And all that arose from the fact that reading the thread seemed like people were confusing the two roles - and then I do it myself.

But I hope we're all on the same page now with Sam. He's our double-ability precious whom the enemy wants... to lynch! Like wilwa said, Sam can not be turned into a spiderling and thus Shelob needs to get her lynched. So let's not lynch him, or at least be ready to read closely who got him lynhced if that is done. *curses the "no-reveal"-rules*

Anyway. Unless something quite remarkable emerges, I take the preliminary results of phantom's gallup as an indicator that whoever Sam is, he has most probably tried to heal Lhuna aka. we most probably should not lynch her.

So what is our next step then? With three hours to go, maybe we should start trying to find candidates for lynching? I see why some people have been making more or less direct claims against tp but I tend to disagree at this point. Even if he is an arrogant egoist (to put it mildly! ), he seems to be doing good work in this anemic village where more or less everyone seems to hunker down. With one stinging failed by Shelob I think we should see whether his ideas prove benefical in the future as we have at least one more Day to play before Shelob gets her troops together in a mass needed to win.

To think then... (and to watch some ice hockey )
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #198
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

*frowns* I'm really having some trouble with Boro here. On Day 1 his first post reads-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro, first post yesterday
But, but, I've only just caught a bad case
Which, as much as anyone else, would invite the attention of Sam's cure, if it weren't for the fact that in the following post he seems not to know if Shelob has a Spiderling or a sting victim. If Boro was indeed the Been-Stung, he did us quite a disservice, throwing Sam off the trail like that. But if he wasn't the Been-Stung, why say that initial bit in the first place?

And then he leads off today hinting either- 1) "I was cured", 2) "I'm the Doctor", or 3) "I survived Shelob's attack" (i.e. "Sam protected me" or "I'm Sam").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro, first post today
First things first...well two things actually.

Legs! Good. Arms! Nice. Hands! With lots of fingers. How many? Oh great there's ten. Ears! Even better. Nose! Woot, I'm fine.
I'm going to dismiss option three immediately, leaving 1 and 2. But wouldn't option 1 have been given in the narrative? Not to mention it would be darn unlikely given the likely Sam cure choices. So that leaves option 2.

But I'm debating whether or not a Doctor would hint much anyway. His "powers" aren't useful except for his own reasoning, and in the event that he knows something others don't seem to realize. But hint too much too early and you run the risk of being converted to Shelob's side. I'm not sure I buy it, unless Shelob happened to be lucky enough to select the Doctor for her Night 1 sting. (I'm assuming she was allowed to select Night 1, or was her Been-Stung just handed to her?)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #199
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
But I hope we're all on the same page now with Sam. He's our double-ability precious whom the enemy wants... to lynch! Like wilwa said, Sam can not be turned into a spiderling and thus Shelob needs to get her lynched. So let's not lynch him, or at least be ready to read closely who got him lynhced if that is done. *curses the "no-reveal"-rules*
All the more reason for Sam and the Doctor to leave crystal clear clues and trails. I've made sure, on my end of things, you won't have to worry. Now it's just a question of whether Shelob will bite or not. I've missed being risky where I'm at my best.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #200
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I won't be posting much today, since I will be out and about constantly until DL (I am posting from my IPad at present). Here is my suspicious list:

Phantom and Wilwa for Glirdy-wagon suspiciousness, plus Lottie by association. Phantom has shown some good reasoning so far however, aside from his declarations about Wilwottie, so if anybody is to be lynched for the Wagon, it should be

Nog and Boro, as I've previously stated. Still, I haven't noted a third supporting them just yet, which there should be if they are the original duo.

Lhuna is also interesting, as I don't recall her giving any opposition to Phantom's position about her on D1 (although I may prove myself wrong on this when I can check properly), but now she suddenly opposes the notion.

I think that's it for now, but I will return to post when I can.