The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting In restrospect, are you glad you saw the movies?

I remember a few years ago when I first learned about the movies I was really excited. I had read LOTR a few times through and then I find out that it is going to be made into 3 seperate movies... seemed like a pretty awesome thing. I was naive to think it would follow the books, though. Even when I found out there would be changes, I still decided to see them and judge them by themselves.. not as representations of Tolkiens work, but just as movies. But that was naive too. I can't go see the movies without hoping for them to be the same. I'm dissapointed by every change. I liked it so much better when the only reference to the way things looked were in my head. I admit.. the way I pictured some of the characters and lands was way off (for example I have never seen a bog before so how am I supposed to know exactly what it looks like), but that's not so bad. It was much more intimate and cool that way. I never even looked at Tolkien art because I didn't want the way I pictured stuff to be distorted. But now it totally is. And I don't like the way it has turned out. Seeing the movies wasn't worth it at all. They dissapointed me more than anything else.<P>I wish I had never seen the movies at all.