The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boots WW CI - Mutton yesterDay, mutton toDay and mutton toMorrow

It was very early in the morning somewhere in the foothills of the Misty Mountains. A clan of trolls had recently come down from the mountains and settled in a large cave in rock. They had eaten the three nearby villages and now all they had left were the occasional flocks belonging to the daring shepherds from faraway villages. The trolls were sitting on a small clearing with a fire and some food and waiting for dawn - that is the bed-time of all trolls small and large.

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow!" grumbled Lom, the leader of the troll clan.
"Shut yer mouth or you won't have nothing!" answered Leg who was always at war with Lom because he fancied himself the boss. He was also the best huntsman of the trolls.
"Why's there no bloody humans or something like?" grumbled Green who loved to add her voice to other people's complaints.
"We et a village each, ye booby," replied Bane, who liked to demonstrate his superior intelligence.
"Booby yerself, and Green too. No need to talk while we eat," said Bore, who needed all his concentration for his food.
"Watch it, Bore," said Cop, a troll who liked troll around.
"Yer not the boss," agreed Gil, who always agreed with everyone except when he disagreed.
"I dunno about ye others, but I have no boss," said Lad, who liked arguing.
"Who said that?" growled Lom.
"Twas Lad," said Kat readily.
"Twas Lot," said contradicted Cab.
"What lot? It was just one voice!" Brin protested. She was - sad to say - quite stupid even for a troll.
"Lot as in Lot," clarified Oz, who was always unhelpful like this.
"Twasn't me!" protested Lot, who always protested.
"Shut yer mouth, twas yer," said Mors, who liked settling things whether they went right or wrong.
"Twasn't, twas me," said Nerve, the trollest of the trolls, and possibly the dumbest.
"Twas you who did what?" asked Nog, confused. It was his way to ask questions.

There was a silence.
"Twas her who said there's no boss," said Pom finally. She did think unlike some of the trolls, but slower than a snail.
"I didn't!" Nerve protested.
"Nor did I!" Lot shouted. "I didn't say it! I didn't!"
"Shut yer mouth!" said Rick who was in no mood for nonsense, as usual.
"And ye shut yer mouth too," said Sal, who thought everyone should always be as quiet, as stupid or as dirty as the next troll.
"Everybody shut yer mouth. I'm the boss or you have no food. Understood?" said Lom.
"Unless I bring you some," amended Leg.
"You do nothing of the sort!" warned Lom.
"The fire's dying," piped in Shaz who had been unchracteristically paying attention to the environment.
"Then do something about it and shut yer mouth," said Vol, who was very anti-social even for a troll.

"If Leg don't bring us food, we starve!" said a voice.
"Who said that?" screamed Lom.
"Twas Green," said the voice.
"Twasn't! Shut up Bore!" said Green who was already quite fed up with the discussion.
"I said nothing!" Bore protested. The use of his name - which, as you can see, was not so flattering - always made him angry.
"Yer not," a voice agreed. "But Gil did."
"Shut yer mouth, Kat! I've been quiet as mouse!" Gil cried, eager to demonstrate he wasn't the trouble-maker.
"Mouses are not quiet and besides twasn't me who said that," said Kat who was trying - for the first time in her life - to combine two thoughts in one sentence.
"Mice," corrected another unidentifiable voice.
"Very funny, Cab, you always think yer so smart," said Nerve, who didn't really like smart people.
"I am not smart!" Cab protested, speaking the truth.
"'Tis true, I didn't see his mouth move," said Pom, who had been watching very hard.
"Yer blind as well as stupid," said Sal. "He was chewing mutton all the time."
"He always eats and talks at the same time," complained a voice, which really didn't sound like any that had been heard that evening.
"What's so disgusting about that?" challenged Vol, food spluttering from his mouth as he spoke.
"Nothin," said Bane quickly. "Cop's just prim as an elf-maid."
"I am not!" said Cop hotly.
"Now finish yer mutton and shut yer mouth EVERYONE," said Lom, who was getting pretty angry. "It's getting late and we don't want to be here when dawn comes."

With a lot more grumbling and arguing, the trolls finished their supper. Leg fed the fire and eyed everyone suspiciously. He was quite sure something was wrong. Slowly, the sky was getting lighter. "Let's go now," Leg said, and for once, no one disagreed. The trolls crept into their dark cave and went to bed. When trying to fall asleep, they could still hear a few voices arguing:
"You're in my bed! Get out!" said Lad.
"Nonsense, it is my bed!" said Lot.
"Yer both in my bed and if you don't get out, I'll squish yer heads!" bellowed Mors, who happened to be right, (which he seldom was).
"What was that noise about?" asked Nog, whose sleep had been disturbed.
"Rick's just snoring. Go back to sleep," said Shaz, who never understood anything.
"Twas Brin snoring, not Rick," corrected Oz, who understood even less than Shaz.
"Now shut yer mouths everyone," said Lom for the third and last time. "Or we go back to the mountains."
This threat was enough to silence the noisiest troll, and they all went to bed quite overdoing themselves, as even the stupidest trolls finally found their own beds and managed to put their heads (or their toes) on the pillows and close their eyes. Soon the whole cave was filled with the merry and ear-breaking sound of trollish snoring.

Everybody, however, was not asleep. Unbeknowst to the poor trolls, four wizards had already done away with four of their clan and assumed their likenesses. They had been the four weird voices taking part in their argument. Quietly they rose from their beds and slipped away from the dark unto the harsh light of the day to hatch an evil plan...

~*~

Night1 has started. Wizards, feel free to PM each other. Clever troll, you may send us your dream pick. Others, shut up and sleep until night falls and the Day phase starts.

~*~

The Crew
Thinlómien, "Lom"
Legate of Amon Lanc, "Leg"

The Cast
A Little Green, "Green"
Bane Mantra, "Bane"
Boromir88, "Bore"
Brinniel, "Brin"
Coppermirror, "Cop"
Gil-Galad, "Gil"
Inziladun, "Lad"
Kath, "Kat"
Loslote, "Lot"
McCaber, "Cab"
Morsul the Dark, "Mors"
Nerwen, "Nerve"
Nogrod, "Nog"
Ozban, "Oz"
Pomegranate, "Pom"
Rikae, "Rick"
satansaloser2005, "Sal"
Shastanis Althreduin, "Shaz"
Volo, "Vol"

Last edited by Thinlómien; 01-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Day 1

The sunlight glistened on the green leaves of the trees, the bees buzzed in the air, warm wind blew from the south and the four Wizards stood by a swift mountain brook running merrily down the slope and discussed their position.
"It is very good, my friends," said one of them. "The foolish trolls won't even notice us. They are really not very bright."
"Less than bright," the second one agreed. "But still it won't go as easily as we thought. As long as there are enough of those who have only a bit of wit left, they will not stay outside until dawn, even if they are arguing like mad."
"Alas, not," said the third Wizard. "But perhaps if there are less of them, who can tell? We might try to lessen their numbers, few by few, until only the dumbest group is left, such a group that will argue until dawn and turn into stone."
"Then we should start by eliminating the most dangerous ones," said the fourth Wizard. "Have you noticed one of them looking around strangely? That one who was supposed to bring food?"
"Leg?" the second Wizard asked. "True, he has bigger head than is good for him, possibly. It does not mean he will be more clever, though."
"Or the leader, Lom," the fourth Wizard continued. "As long as the trolls have a leader, she can always put them in line."
"That is a good point," said the first Wizard. "As long as there is one will behind these creatures, we can never trick them into staying up outside until dawn."
"It's settled, then," said the third Wizard. "We must act, and quick!"

So it happened that Leg was very surprised when another troll woke him up in the middle of the day.
"What's up?" he asked, but the other troll only gestured to the entrance. Grunting and grumbling, he followed.
The troll's cave was huge, so it took them a while until they reached the mouth of the cavern, and there he stopped.
"But," Leg said, "there is still light outside!"
The other troll shrugged. "It ain't a big deal. Others are waiting there."
Leg frowned, looked from the troll to the sunlit ground.
"I ain't that stupid to go out when the sun is still up!"
"But we are here," said one of three trolls who emerged from a group of trees.
"Come, we have something to show you," said another.
Leg frowned even more, and the three, seeing his reluctance, walked close to the arm's reach. One of them extended his stone-colored arm.
"Come, you must see this," the troll said, but by that time, Leg had figured out something was terribly wrong here. He shouted and pounced at the nearest troll, who was still in the shadow of the cave. They fell to the floor, rolling and fighting.
"Help me!" the other troll yelled at his fellows, and suddenly he began changing shape, he was growing small and tried to slip out of Leg's mighty clutch. Leg grabbed for where a moment ago his neck was, but because the Wizard now became distinctly smaller, he grabbed only his hat. That confused him for a moment, and the Wizard rolled himself into safety, leaving Leg staring in suprise at the pointed hat.
That was the point when Lom appeared. She had been sleeping closest to the cave entrance and the sounds of battle woke her up.
"It's wizards!" Leg shouted, rising up. Lom had never been slow to act. With a roar, she slammed her fists into two of the fake trolls, almost knocking them down. Leg also lurched himself at the remaining one and once again it became wrestling on the ground. But what Lom and Leg realised too late was that where the three false trolls stood, the sun was already shining, and suddenly they felt their bodies becoming stiff and heavy.
"Blighted bu-" yelled Lom, and grabbed for the trolls' throats, but too late, she stumbled forwards and exposed her whole body to the sun. In the blink of an eye, she became a statue, holding the two trolls by their throats.
"Uff," said the Wizard wrestled down by Leg, and tried to move himself from under his newly formed statue. "That was close."
"We must be more careful next day," said one of the two Wizards held by Lom, who had returned to his normal shape. To his dismay, his hat remained closed in Lom's fist, as was that of his colleagues whom Lom had also clutched by his throat.
"You are right," he said. "But for now, let us disappear. More might have heard the sound of fighting, and we must not be seen here."
"Let us go back to our places in the cave unseen," advised the last of them, "and there resume our troll form. Let us see what the trolls will do."

Thus the Wizards dispatched the two trolls they considered the most dangerous of all. Unbeknowst to them, however, the most clever of all the trolls in the cave had remained there. This troll's wits were not apparent to everyone, but he, unlike his comrades, was able to think and remember familiar features. And even though it often took hours to the troll to think, he would eventually be able to find the minor details in which the Wizards' disguises differed from the real trolls.

Deep within the cave, one more troll could not sleep. He had been sleeping in a different place every day, in hope to cure his insomnia, but the truth was, he could hardly sleep at all.

As the night came, the trolls began wandering around the woods in the vicinity of their camp in search for something to eat. But there wasn't anything to be found, since all the animals had fled as far away from the troll camp as possible already during the past months. It took long enough for the trolls to discover the two stone slabs, but even as dumb as they were, they eventually figured out that something had changed in the scenery near their home. It was Rick who shouted out first to alert the rest of the trolls to the unusual phenomenon.
"Blimey, Gil, look what I've found!" she said.
"What is it?" said the others coming up.
"Lumme, if I knows!" said Rick.
"Ain't that some o' us?" asked Lot, observing the stones.
"Maybe," Mors opined. "Bu' who?"
"Let's count yerselves," Cop advised. "Tha' way we find how many o' us is missing."
"One," said Vol.
"Two," said Bane.
"One," said Nog.
"Two," Shaz finished.
"Tha' won't work," Pom opined. "Everyone say yer name."
"Nerve," said Nerve.
"Oz," said Oz.
"Where's Leg?" Bore asked, looking around.
"Under yer fat belly, Bore," Sal dismissed him.
"Not me leg, but Leg, with that big 'ead," Bore said.
"He's gone!" shouted Lad.
"Blimey, that's him!" Kat said, knocking at one of the stones in front of them.
"Poor old bugger got 'imself turned to stone!" Cab yelled in frightful voice. "What was he a-thinkin'?"
"An' who be th'other?" asked Green. "Who else is a-missin'?"
"Lumme, if I knows!" said Rick.
"'kay, who else's a-missin', raise yer hand," Brin suggested, but Nog interrupted her.
"No, ye lout! They can't raise them 'ands if they're not 'ere! It's us who must raise our 'ands, o'course!"
"No good raisin' our hands, it'd take all night," Gil remarked.
"Wait! Wait!" Pom began to shout, as she at last noticed something unusual about the statues. "Wha's tha' funny stuff they'r 'oldin' in their 'ands?"
"Lumme, if I-" Rick started, but Vol sprung forwards and tried to wrestle what looked like pieces of colorful clothing from Lom and Leg's closed fists.
"Blimey," Nerve gasped, looking over his shoulder. "These are hats! One, two, two, um, what comes after two?"
"Two, four hats!" Lot finished counting, surprisingly correctly.
"What's a hat got to do in 'ere hands, anyways?" Cab wondered.
"Blimey! These are wizard hats!" Lad gasped, as much as a troll can gasp.
"What's a wizard hat got to do in 'ere, anyways?" Cab retorted.
"Ain't that a-clear?" asked Green, and immediately answered to herself: "No, it ain't."
"Wizards kill trolls," Shaz remembered the one of two tales the trolls usually tell around their fireplaces. "Wha' if they did tha' to Leg and, um, wha' was his name again..."
"Our leader knows every-un's names," Cop suggested. "Let's ask 'er."
"Bu', where's she?" Oz wondered.
"Where's Lom?" others repeated, suddenly realising who's missing.
"Blimey!" shouted Kat, at last. "Tha' must be 'er!" She pointed at the stone standing beside Leg. "Them wizards done her in!"
"Wha' are we gonna do?"
The trolls started shouting on top of each other, as you probably know all trolls do, especially when they are leaderless. Among them, applauding their own ingenuity, were the Wizards, hidden and trying to cause even more confusion in their troll-disguises.

Not all the trolls had been totally careless, though. One of them, who had owned a special troll-purse, realised the full scope of the threat to his person. Using a moment of confusion, the troll slipped aside and whispered to his purse.
"If any dirty wizard wants to get 'is 'ands on me, 'e'll pay. Watch out, for tha' bugger," the troll pointed at one of the others.
"Just so," the purse squeaked. Content, the troll hid it in his pocket and returned to the rest.

The insomniact troll also did not feel entirely comfortable about the situation. Knowing full well he wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, he decided to stand guard over one troll each day, hoping to protect them from the Wizards.

Another of the trolls, however, began to think that perhaps it might not be such a bad idea to get rid of the rest of the trolls. Obviously, if the other trolls were all turned to stone, there will be no need to share his food with anyone. The troll did not know who the Wizards were, but he figured out he could try to help them all the same.

~*~

Day 1 has started. Wizards, stop PMing. Purse-troll, you may send us your target for toDay. Everyone, start trolling. I mean, talking.

~*~

Dumb and Dead
Thinlómien, "Lom", dispatched by the Wizards as a threat on Night 1
Legate of Amon Lanc, "Leg", dispatched by the Wizards as a threat on Night 1

Dumb and Walking
A Little Green, "Green"
Bane Mantra, "Bane"
Boromir88, "Bore"
Brinniel, "Brin"
Coppermirror, "Cop"
Gil-Galad, "Gil"
Inziladun, "Lad"
Kath, "Kat"
Loslote, "Lot"
McCaber, "Cab"
Morsul the Dark, "Mors"
Nerwen, "Nerve"
Nogrod, "Nog"
Ozban, "Oz"
Pomegranate, "Pom"
Rikae, "Rick"
satansaloser2005, "Sal"
Shastanis Althreduin, "Shaz"
Volo, "Vol"

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Oh, we might not need to eat mutton today. I wonder what Wizers taste like. I do think a Wizer a day will keep the day at day. Hmm, I know what, I'll start tasting you trolls to see who tastes like a Wizer. So who shall I lick first? But I know first sometroll needs to lick me to know if I'm a Wizer and if I'm not then I'll lick myself and know that if I ever wanted to eat a Wizer, I shouldn't eat myself. Or thingsum. To know what a Wizer tastes like I need to taste a Wizer and know that the Wizer I'm tasting is a Wizer. Do you think some Wizers have fleshier hats? There's not much meat on the hats here, huh.
I'll go back to sleep though if I can find which way the cave goes deeper and which is the way back to the entrence. I never know. But I like waking up late in the night.
I'll lick myself just to be sure though. If I sometime lick a Wizer and a Wizer tastes like me I'll know I can go to sleep later too.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's bad we cannae eat stone, others there were nice meat to eat this night.

Maybe Leg an' Lom were wizers and turned themself unto stone? That would be clever, none's ever gonna think they done it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I always wanted t' try a bit o' that burrahobbit I heard about once. But I guess one o' then Wizers could taste mighty good too. I'd like t' see anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Maybe Leg an' Lom were wizers and turned themself unto stone? That would be clever, none's ever gonna think they done it.
Y' know, that'd be jest like 'em two to know something like that. But I reckon they'd have remembered they couldn't eat no more if they was stone.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
"If ever oh ever a wiz there was the wizard of Oz is one because; because, because, because, becaauuuuusssee ..."

Wait, wait, wait, wrong kind of wizard right? I mean I haven't seen any green city round here, and no hot air balloons either. Maybe that clears Green of being an evil wizard type. Or maybe that's what she wants us to think and she's really green as ... as ... a really green evil thing. Like spinach.

Eurgh. Spinach. Just thinking of that has me feeling sick. I'm out of here.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Cuz us can roast rocky Leggy or eat stony Lommy not. Me say us all do some funny thingy. Say we all turn around to stand on our heads with single toe reaching out to skies having arm on us belly singing or reciting.
Whoever manages is a wizzer, cause no troll ever could.
Troll would never make his arm to sing.

Guess I'll take good midnight nap.

Hit me head when sometin's up.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"I hopes these Wizzers is tasty Cause I mean I want some meats. But we have to be careful. They's got woody sticky things that pew magic... they's scary...."

Loving the dialogue laughing myself crazy.

MY brain might implode with so many people.

let's see first impression on my feller trollmens

A Little Green, "Green"- been a while don't know his style
Bane Mantra, "Bane"- Brand new, newbie pass for a day?
Boromir88, "Bore"- Sure will confuse me before the end but usually very logical
Brinniel, "Brin"- tends to be fairly low key will watch
Coppermirror, "Cop"- nothing stands out
Gil-Galad, "Gil"- thinks like me sometimes, might be able to read her better.
Inziladun, "Lad"- sneaky as a wolf sly as an ordo so toss up
Kath, "Kat"- don't recall playstyle
Loslote, "Lot"- usually logical
McCaber, "Cab"- go either way usually ends up on my suspicious list
Morsul the Dark, "Mors"- will confuse all, but in this game makessense
Nerwen, "Nerve"- Quiet cordial always under my radar
Nogrod, "Nog"- Highly logical and might be tough to spot if a wolf
Ozban, "Oz"- New to me
Pomegranate, "Pom"- tends to be suspicious to me
Rikae, "Rick"- don't recall playstyle
satansaloser2005, "Sal"- getting better at not tunnel visioning her try to read better
Shastanis Althreduin, "Shaz"- Go either way
Volo, "Vol"- Don't recall

Thanks for alphabetical order makes my life easier.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
"Lot"- usually logical
'Ogical? What's this 'ogical? Is it a food? Is it a Wizer thing? You callin' me a Wizer? Hey, how 'bout you're a wizer, huh? How's that for 'ogical?

An' what's Kat doin' singin' 'bout Wizers of Oz? She sayin' Oz is a Wizer? You know sommut we don'?

Last edited by Loslote; 01-21-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: bolded names
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Blimey, Volo! stop yer lickin' me! If I don't serpose haf of you taste haff as well as I should like and I like less than haff of you haff as well as you would taste!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Kath, "Kat"- don't recall playstyle
M'favourite's that one with all the singing where everyone dies. Shame you don't get to eat 'em at the end. Don't think there was a wizard in that one though. Think this Mors is trying to distract us here! More talk of us trolls than them wizards.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Gil-Galad, "Gil"- thinks like me sometimes, might be able to read her better.
Oy! Watch who ur calling she-troll ya rockhead.

If there be Wizer, or Wizer's amongst us I reckon there be too many of us right now. Let e'veryone say their bit. See if Ol' Gil's nose can sniff out dem Wizer's.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I ain't happy about this! Wizers, coming here and turning Lom and Leg to stone. Lom was the only one who knew everyone's names, and now she's stone useless.

Sal's plan looks right good to me, 'cept nobody here's wearing shoes. We'll know the wizers by their actions, even if they don't smell like wizers. They're clever and tricksy, so all we need to do is thump whoever's acting clever. Everybody keep being like normal, and we'll catch 'em right quick.

...Oi...Is that what they want us to think? My head is achin'.

Let's get the pot boiling, anyway. T'is best if we has Wizzard for dinner. I'm tired of mutton.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
Let's get the pot boiling, anyway. T'is best if we has Wizzard for dinner. I'm tired of mutton.
Aw, come on now! Tired of mutton? What kind of troll are ye? Don't you know the olden troll holiday carol, "I'm gettin' mutton for Christmas"? Where's your troll spirit, Cop?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Aw, come on now! Tired of mutton? What kind of troll are ye? Don't you know the olden troll holiday carol, "I'm gettin' mutton for Christmas"? Where's your troll spirit, Cop?
Bah, not that song again. Someone else always takes the best mutton and leaves me with the worst! My troll spirit wants to eat somethin' else for once, even if I only get the skinny bits of the Wizzard. Maybe they're savoury, like. Or sweet? Let's find out.

I say that carol should go like this:

I'm gettin' mutton for Christmas
I'd rather eat a horse
I'd rather eat a nelly phant
and have a second course

I dunno what they look like, but nelly phants are bigger than horses and sheep, ain't they?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Where's yours? Blimey, what self-respectin' she-troll wants stringy mutton to gnaw on when there's man-flesh to be had? (Wizards is Men, ain't they?)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Where's yours? Blimey, what self-respectin' she-troll wants stringy mutton to gnaw on when there's man-flesh to be had? (Wizards is Men, ain't they?)
They be wizard trolls! Don't any of ye pay attention? Mayhaps it your head what is filled with stone, and only mine that's really made of the stuff.

Unless of course you're all right with eating your own kind. I won't judge, as long as it isn't my leg you want to gnaw on.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
They be wizard trolls! Don't any of ye pay attention? Mayhaps it your head what is filled with stone, and only mine that's really made of the stuff.

Unless of course you're all right with eating your own kind. I won't judge, as long as it isn't my leg you want to gnaw on.
Break me teeth on your tough old shanks? Not likely!

Nah, but these wizards ain't real trolls, they just look that way.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:

They'll taste like troll? You're dashin' my dreams here, Sal.

Hah, you can't fool me! You're just tryin' to get the best bits fer yerself, you sneak. I'll be saunterin' up to the pot late, all sad, and going to eat the dregs, and then I'll know: it was tasty man-flesh all along! Well, I won't let you get away with keeping the good stuff to yerself.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oy, I know we may be trolls, but we be trolls in one ugly situation. Really, banter may be all fun, but it won't do us much good in the long run. Don't ye think it's time we pick out who these nasty wizards are? Or they'll soon enough turn us all into stone. And we won't be gettin even mutton to eat if we all stone.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #21
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, I need to decide who to vote for, as I'll be voting early tonight.

Trolls who have yet to show up:

Green
Bane
Shaz
Nog

I fully expect that everyone will show up, though. For now I won't vote for any of those four.

Bore: Asks Vol to stop licking him, and claims to have eaten a wizard once.

Brin: Wants to cut out banter. Gives Pom, Cab, and Mors points for effort. Will vote early.

Gil: Wants everyone to talk. Says is a red shirt of Werewolf, and that sometimes his shirts are his trousers and vice versa.

Lad: Wants to eat a burrahobbit . Says we have to fear those who aren't up to no good. Disagrees with Mors and says he wouldn't call something Pom said a suggestion, more like standard first day banter.

Kat: Talks about a green city, spinach, and says that Mors may be trying to distract us by talking more about trolls than wizards.

Lot: Wonders what Kat is doing talking about Wizers of Oz and if that's a hint at Oz being a wizard. Talks about how the only good wizard is a wizard cooked in various styles.

Cab: Makes a quick summary of posts so far. Part banter, part commenting on who finds who suspicious.

Mors: Fairly talkative. Makes a summary for each troll 6 posts after the game start. I would find that odd, but it actually is helpful to know how he sees everyone's usual playing style. Later, he tells Pom that he'll try to avoid kneejerk reactions. Wonders if Kat's comment about the wizard of Oz is a cobbler hint. Then wonders if something else Kat said was to draw attention to the hint. But I don't see the latter there...

Nerve: Says the singing cobblers stuff is all Mors and that she doesn't see much in that herself. Corrects Sal about troll meal priorities. Is curious about why Mors saw Kat as giving possible cobbler hints.

Oz: Is taking a midnight nap.

Pom: Recaps rules. Asks Morsul what it means when he says he usually sees her as suspicious, and says he's been putting effort in but doesn't see where it gets us.

Rick: Says Lad is no good and has plenty of meat on his bones so we should lynch him, and some other banter.

Sal: Has foolproof shoe-checking method of wizard detection, and speaks of the virtues of mutton. Decides to get the hot sauce, after Nerve says the wizards are made of man-flesh.

Vol: Confusing. Proposes licking to determine flavour and find wizards.

There's so much banter that it's going to be hard to get anything out of it, but it's better than nothing.

If I vote soon, I'll be voting for Boro, based on gut feelings. There isn't enough info so far for me to make a better reasoned guess. Unfortunately I'll probably be voting before we get to the substance of the day.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #22
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
If I vote soon, I'll be voting for Boro, based on gut feelings. There isn't enough info so far for me to make a better reasoned guess. Unfortunately I'll probably be voting before we get to the substance of the day.
Unless I've missed something, Boro has posted only-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Blimey, Volo! stop yer lickin' me! If I don't serpose haf of you taste haff as well as I should like and I like less than haff of you haff as well as you would taste!
and

Quote:
I ate a wizer once. Roastin 'im werent very tastey, too stringy., er it may 'ave been a lizer.
How are you getting even a gut-feeling out of that? Is it the talk of eating us?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was going to quote the question but since a fair amount of people are asking.

The reason I see Kat's singing as a possible hint is the song she chose. The "Wonderful" Wizard of Oz.

I's like to subject to this he'e Cou't No wiz is a wondafuh wiz eh?

I'll be here for about 20 more minutes then off to work a double so won't be back for DL may or may not vote since so many people have yet to post.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #24
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Man... ++Kat

based on what I have up there. Really not strong evfidence but best I can get before leaving for work...

Edit: forgot the "++"
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Okay, here's the first part of my opinions on people. I'll split this up because it's likely to take some time.

Bane: He commented ominously on Gil, and pointed out to Greenie the incongruity of Pom's vote with what she said, thinking she hadn't considered it. Later on, Pom is his top suspect by far, but he decides to abstain from voting on account of newbieness. He seems pretty sensible, but the lack of voting concerns me.

Shasta: He voted Pom, making that the deciding vote. That was important. However, I don't think it says anything at all for whether Shasta is innocent. From either side, that was a good move to make. He didn't know the game had started until late, so can't blame him for lack of posting.

Sally: Is looking so innocent that I'm really worried that she's a wizard fooling us all. Went for Pom after her slip, and thought that a wizard Gil wouldn't have been laying things on so thick on Day 1.

Nog: I agree that he's the most likely to have attempted to save Pom, and that the chances are from his behaviour that if so, he's far more likely to be a cobbler than a wizard. But if - if - he's the cobbler, is it really a good idea to lynch him toDay instead of trying for a wizzard?

There were some non-committal comments, but he did express some suspicions. And, reading through his comments, I can imagine them all potentially coming from an innocent. As for the vote, I understand that someone might want to create a tie and see what happens, and on the face of it it's not terrible behaviour, but that time if someone had swooped in to try to save Pom, it could easily have lead to another person's lynching. So...I'm on the fence about Nog and hope to come to a conclusion soon. Still thinking about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
++Nerwen
This is a bandwagon. McCaber and Pom are less suspicious and they're up to 3 votes, so this is to counter that. Also, lots of talk, little reasoning.
This? This is still the most disconcerting thing I have seen anyone say all game (and it's a game that includes Morsul, so that's saying something ). Intentionally starting a bandwagon and admitting to doing so is just never going to sit right with me. Especially given that Pom was a wizard, this looks like an attempt to save a packmate that simply didn't work.

Quote:
A Little Green, "Green"- Showed up late but came out swinging voted Cab but levels some suspicion on Pom and Copp may wanted to look innocent suspecting Pom but voted an innocent Cab.

Gil-Galad, "Gil"- - His vote on Nerwen is flimsy at best and the whole Red Shirt defense... I've used that to good effect as both an ordo and wolf but to push it as far as this hmmm.... Watching you
First of all, an excellent point on Gil, good sir. There's playing the victim and then there's standing outside the window with a salt shaker and a violin, acting like a sad old lady so the little piggies will let you come in and eat them. Gil really seems to be doing the latter to me. Of course it leads to some hilarious mental images, though the clothing in question would then be more of a light-ish red....

However....I'm sorry, but how do you know McCaber is innocent again? I'll feel like quite an idiot if I just did that thing where I ask a question I shouldn't ask, but this seems horribly out of place to me (and I believe Lottie's already mentioned it anyway, so it's not like no one's noticed). There are only two ways you can know he's innocent: Either you're the seer or you're a wizard. I like to think you'd be more cunning as a seer, though this definitely lacks finesse regardless of which is your role. However, a wizard would be more able to take risks (having guild members to carry on and all that), so I'm leaning that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
If there was an effort by the wizards to save Pom, it most likely took the form of a more vicious attack against another target. Volo was the only person who actively defended Pom, and everyone else shunted their rage to me or on CM.
A fair point as well. As noted, Volo went overboard and overstated on trying to prevent a Pom (and McCaber) lynch. Suspicious indeed.

Quote:
By the way- I don't think anyone else has pointed this out-
here Pom speaks of Cop as a male, which unless I'm very much mistaken is incorrect. That argues against their being packmates (though not conclusively).
Not necessarily. I'm still not sure if Captain of Despair is male or female. Then again, that's because Mac bussed him/her right away.....

Quote:
But that's not the real problem- it's that Nog both speaks of the lynch as already decided: "So it's Pom now (first with as many votes)" and of what "any further votes" could tell us. A real brain-twister, that post is.
Another interesting point. It seemed like an attempt at fishing for votes, although there weren't many voters left at that point (and as stated, two of them were Nerwen and Kath, so there was very little hope they'd show up). Nog doesn't seem that dangerous to me at the moment, however, and I really do need to keep my brain focused on my own observations, lest I be swayed into voting someone I didn't previously think wise.

A list in a moment.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 01-24-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alright. I have to go to work, and I won't be back until after the DL, so I'll go ahead and

++Morsul

Because I think he slipped when he assumed/knew Cabbie is innocent, and while I have more concrete suspicions on Nog, I also happen to think Nog is a cobbler, not a wizard, so I'd prefer not to vote a suspected cobbler when I could vote a suspected wizard.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Suspicious:
Volo - for that whole "I'm creating a bandwagon" thing
Gil - for being far too much of a martyr to be legitimate
Morsul - for assuming Cab's innocence

Hmmmm:
Nogrod - for his post late yesterDay
McCaber - Pom's reaction to his vote (one she'd seen it) strikes me as incriminating, though I could be reaching
Shasta - he would totally do that to one of his mates, no question (nothing else though at the moment)

No strong feelings:
Greenie
Brinn
Dun
Nerwen
Oz
Rikae

Leaning innocent:
Cop - it seems unlikely that Pom would do what she did if Cop were her mate

Will not vote toDay:
Boro - not going to be here anyway, so it doesn't seem sporting
Kath - at risk of modfire, and nothing to go on anyway
Bane - at risk of modfire
Lottie - speaks sense, at least for now

x'd with Trollottie
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Problem with Internet at home. Can only get on from phone. Will not be voting today - cannot read thread. Don't lynch me. Bad idea. Hopefully fixed toMorrow.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Volo has been one that has been playing rather... Sloppy. This could mean that Vol has no role and thus little interest, or trying to play it super low if given a role. The bandwagon comment and bringing Nerwen back up to a potential lynchee is unsettling.

Thus for toDay, I am going to have to say:

++Volo

If he turns out to be an Ordo, then I will have to go back to my initial suspect of Brin. We shall see toNight as I won't be back on until right before the deadline.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil
Greenie's vote could be seen as bandwaggonish, but she reasoned it pretty well.
Actually I cross-posted with Rikae's vote, so I thought I was the first to vote McCaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
Ok, I need to leave for class soon which means I need to make my voting choice for toNight now. And I have to say, from here Rikae's sudden turn after Pom's and my votes looks rather fishy. She did her best to turn everyone's attention away from Pom and onto me, despite that our votes and reasoning were basically identical (and on line with what Rikae herself had posted just ahead of that). To me, that behavior reads like being able to make points against a fellow wizard while getting an innocent lynched at the same time. Maybe I'm too close to this to see really objectively on it, but as I'm short on time and nothing has really jumped out at me toNight as wizard-sign,
This is, I think, a shrewd point. I probably can't vote McCaber toDay since he makes so much sense to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil
I feel like I need to point this out and ask for others to keep an eye on it, but something is bugging me about Brin and Nerwe. Just that Brin voted Nerwe, then when I voted the same I got the most attention. I had to explain my reasoning later to defend myself since I couldn't say "Its a secret test" at first which would ultimately defeat the secret part of the test. Now Brins posts for toDay are giving Nerwe all her trust and making my vote be the bad guy.
Also a good point, and something I might want to look into. (Especially seeing as those two ladies are the players I've always had most trouble reading. Them and Inzil, that is.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop
Shasta: He voted Pom, making that the deciding vote. That was important. However, I don't think it says anything at all for whether Shasta is innocent. From either side, that was a good move to make.
Might be just a different opinion on what's a good move for a wolf, but for me, giving a fellow a deciding vote that way seems insane. Especially coming from someone who had hardly had time to post at all and who therefore could have gone for anyone without seeming inconsistent. So yeah, giving Shasta a pass for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Intentionally starting a bandwagon and admitting to doing so is just never going to sit right with me.
The thing is, you can't lynch anyone without multiple people voting for the same person. What killed Pomzard yesterDay was, in effect, a bandwagon. We tend not to call it that because it worked out well for us, but that's essentially what it was. So yes, I think that in our great adversity to bandwagons, we tend to forget they can be pretty useful too.

Which is not to say that I agree with Volo's vote for Nerwen. I never could read her so I have next to no idea whether to suspect her or not, but I definitely don't think she's our best bet toDay.

EDIT: x-ed with Gil and Copper
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, just first impressions (yes, I'm late, which proves I'm not a wizard):

First of all, I'm kicking myself for that "a wizard would be more careful" business yesterday! Seeing Pom & Cab's votes I was sure there was evil afoot, and my first instinct was to blame Pom. I had the post half typed up, then went "nah, too sloppy to be a wizard".

If I recall correctly it was Nog who mentioned that Pom was panicky about being in a possible bandwagon, which was a sensible statement and I almost said so (again). In fact, it was more sensible than the speculation I see about Pom's panic today: that is, as a wolf she would be jumpy about the possibility of looking suspicious, and her first response to Cab's apparent bandwagoning was "this makes me look bad!" which, of course, it did. I doubt a wolfish Nog would cast Pom in such a bad light at that point when he could have ignored it. I also doubt he would have cast his late vote in such a way as to draw negative attention to himself in a last-ditch attempt to save a packmate. Also Pom's #95 about Nog naming the wrong number of wizards - which he didn't, anyway - is odd. Why is she jumping on a reason to make Nog look more innocent, though she words it in the least conclusive way possible? Could just be a wizardish interest in a remark about wizards, spun into something semi-substantial but non-committal. Could also be an attempt to make a packmate look innocent. I'm not leaning in that direction, though.

I'd rather leave both Nerwen and Nog alone for toDay. They are talkative and sooner or later, if evil, could slip up; if not, they're helpful to have around.

Cab, your vote looked opportunistic, so the reasoning was secondary. My first suspicion on Cop was thin but all I had to go on at the time, but (as I was hoping) the reactions to it were informative.

Looking at Greenie: she comes off as very agreeable yesterDay, and goes after Cab at the point when people were wondering whether he or Pom looked worse for bandwagoning against Cop. She defends Pom slightly. I can't say if it's wizardish or not at this point.

Bane and Nog are the first ones arguing against Pom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
Pom warns us to be suspicious of people voting for Cop, which includes Pom. Don't you find that to be a bit incongruous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
It feels pretty natural to me that - if she is just a troll that is - after voting and seeing there was another vote to Copper as well, just as the talk around him had started, she felt people should pay attention to it; even if she is herself included. I mean I could have said that if I were in her position.

Then again - and the trouble being - I could have said that also were I a wolf and in her position, just to make myself look considerate. A safe vote would be something a wolf would long for. Maybe a PomWizard thought her vote for Copper was safely reasoned when she sent it, but then seeing Cab's vote made her uneasy and she felt she had to downplay the idea she was bandwagoning, at least in any sneaky fashion?
Ok, he's wishy washier than I remembered about it, but it makes sense.

Inzil was the first to vote for Pom. I don't find it particularly innocentish: at this point she didn't seem very likely to be lynched.

Oz's vote for Cab (#130) looks quite bad to me. At this point advancing a Cab wagon would seem possible and desirable to a wizard (assuming Cab is innocent, and Pom's reaction to him makes me think so). He uses reasoning others have put forward, and reiterates suspicion of red shirt Gil (to look consistent, and as a possible easy lynch in the future?)

Nog continued to argue against Pom in a couple more posts when he could have easily let it drop. Makes him look better to me.

What is the point of Oz's #142, I wonder? Points out who is tied (Cab, Cop, Nerve and Pom) and " I have a feeling much will change before deadline yet". Well, yeah. Something seems fishy here. It's like he's trying to draw someone's attention to the need for a certain vote.

Now, today, Oz comes in with a case against Morsul based entirely on yesterday's posts. Almost as if he, oh, wrote it during the night, not thinking that the night's events, or today's posts, would give him any new information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I had only limited time to look at Mors's toDay/Night's posts.
Then he votes - a fairly safe vote if I'm not mistaken.

Also, for the record, I don't hate banter. I just find recapping banter suspiciously pointless, and when I'm asked to be a troll, I do it my way.

Ok, for reasons stated above:

++Ozban
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote