The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #41
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Hey all, I'm not sure if I belong here or with the oldies [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I am 28 and was introduced to Tolkien from a young age, My mother being a member of her local Tolkien society and both my parents being avid Rpg'ers in their younger years, I don't exactly remember when my mother first read The hobbit to me, as she read it to me and my brother many times [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I was first intoduced to LOTRs at the age of 9, when my father read it to me, and I certainly did not understand all of it from the first telling, what I do remember most is the brillant voice my father did for Gollum [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I was 12 before I picked up the Hobbit and read it for myself and 14 before my mother allowed me to read her copy of The Lord of the Rings and I have been hooked ever since [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] With every reading revealing something new to me.

I must admit that I have only recently read the Silmarillion, and it reveals sooo much more, that I don't know how I ever lived without it! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My mother has just sent me her 1976 copy of Farmer Giles of Ham and a 1975 copy of Tree and Leaf, Smith of Wootton Major, The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, with the simple note saying "Enjoy" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My only problem now is to decide which one to read first [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 10:22 AM   #42
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Just a drop-in to say that at age 40 (soon to be 41) Thenamir qualifies for the Middle-Age Middle-Earthers.

Found Tolkien as a High School Sophomore in 1978, in part because friends were quoting passages from Bored of the Rings, the Harvard Lampoon parody, and though I did not know the subject being parodied, it ad me in stitches. I hit the library next day and found myself a copy of FOTR, and was inextricably hooked.

I was a casual, almost closet fan of LOTR until news came out that a movie was in the works, whereupon I became a crusader for canonic purity, and found the Barrow Downs. After frequenting the chat for several months, I found myself in the good graces of the Barrow-Wight, who allowed me to use the name of the site for my openly-capitalistic Tolkien store. We formalized a joint venture, and I've been associated with the Downs ever since.

Good to be here, and to have some mature perspective. Party on, dudes.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

(psssst, Thenamir - having read Tolkien's books more than 18 years ago qualifies you for the Tolkien Coming of Age Club, where the geezers gather. Come on over! Rocking chairs provided - please bring your own teeth...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #44
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know, most of these Tolkien "middle-agers" are younger than me! But that still does not make me an "old folk" Tolkien wise, for I did not crack the LOTR until 1991, although I had read the Hobbit in 1988 and had oddly attempted to start my Tolkien readings with the Silmarillion in 1987, getting 100 pages through it and giving it up in confusion. So, I guess that makes my first Tolkien (incomplete) 16 years ago, not quite enough for the old folks and on the outer edge of this group as well! Then again, I've always been "on the cusp" and never quite fit in with any group, being on the edge of Gen-X and Baby Boomers and alternately identified by those who claim to know as being one or the other, depending on where Mars and Venus are in the sky and whether the Milky Way is visible through the clouds that night... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:25 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Quote:
16 years ago, not quite enough for the old folks
That's the point Welcome, Lita
and Nerindel

Hola, Thenamir, stray grandsires are also welcome here

Estelyn, your graciousness and beauty always makes any place of your presence more lovely. We of the middle age club are honored and fascinated to have you as our guest

*H-I bows

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-15-2005 at 06:40 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #46
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Hi all my fellow tweeners...

Today is my 1st deathday! It was indeed a short time before midnight (Eastern time) on the 27th of September that I signed up here, so, I am posting as near to the exact time as I can guess. (Also, three days from now will be my 19th birthday. Nice to time my deathday and birthday three days apart, is it not? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

I couldn't think of another thread which this would not be horribly, shamelessly off topic in, so this is just a wee bit off. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Edit: Well, all the clocks in my house say it's 5 minutes till 11, but apparently even with a whole 24 hours to work with, I missed posting on the right day BD time by two lousy minutes. Man.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 10-03-2003, 02:40 AM   #47
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I'm older than 18, but it has been less than 18 years since my introduction. The Hobbit was read to me when I was about three, four, or was it seven - I have very distinct memories of imagining Bilbo in a cave, and not much else sank in - but I had never heard of Lord of the Rings until two years ago.

Last edited by Meela; 02-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:35 AM   #48
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Welcome, Meela

and, of course, happy Birth(Death) Days(Nights) Diamond18

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-15-2005 at 06:48 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 12-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #49
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For some reason, I've never heard of the Tolkien Middle Age Club before, but guess what, I fit in perfectly.

I'm 24 (25 on the 31st!) and haven't been reading the books for more then 18 years.
I first read the LOTR at the age of 15, after that The Hobbit and after that The Sil.
First in dutch, and last year, I read all of them in english. And now I tend to read parts of all the books when I feel like it.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #50
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Reason being, the club represents the temporal (in a sense of mean age of its members) minority on the BD (or so it seems)

Happy Birthday (alongside with New Year, o'course

My own occurred on January 21, so we have been of the same age for 3 weeks (me being 26 this last 9 days, but, mark you, 25 between 1-20). Must be sign of Fate, or something

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-15-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:18 AM   #51
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gosh, now I am 18!
That means I can now be a member [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I read the books for the first time 2 years ago, after I saw FOTR and thought it was the most amazing film I had ever seen (luckily for me the books ended up being even more amazing than the films!). So I am still rather new to the world of Tolkien. But I love everything about it so much.

I have gone on from LOTR to read The Sil, The Hobbit, and The Book of Lost Tales 1, but I still have so much to learn. Even though I have been here at the downs for over a year, I still feel I am very much a novice.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #52
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Tolkien

It's going to be February in a few hours over at where I am, and that would mean two years of being dead, being a Tolkien thinking fan, and two laps of LOTR reading!

I still have much more to learn as well, and the Silm to finish too.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 AM   #53
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Welcome, dear new members

I guess ours is the club with most of the perspective and opportunity, since youngsters of the other club will grow up one day to be our members too, and there will be some decade to go before there is a time for us to move on to oldies

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 03-11-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 AM   #54
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Surely, we of MAC form a minority here on the Downs. Most of the members are either younger or older then we find ourselves to be. But, I suppose, there are some newly deceased souls meeting our requirements? So this thread is bumped up

cheers

Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #55
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*peeks through the window and wishes she hadn't read the hobbit quite so precociously, thus qualifying herself for the old fogies group rather than the bright young things*.... the fogies are friendly on the whole but Old Prof Hedgethistle can be quite cantankerous...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:39 AM   #56
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

ah, we are not bright young things, we are sober grown-up ones. Bright ones can be found in Tolkien Under Age Club

Old 09-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #57
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
All things are relative... I definitely wouldn't make the cut for that one .. I will just have to console myself with being the "baby"/ juvenile delinquent of the pipe and slippers brigade - though I don't smoke and my slippers are of the fluffy panda variety... so until you reach years of discretion Namarie ..... maybe I should start a person of a certain age club...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #58
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
1420! you mean...there are others?

I think this is the place for me.

I read The Hobbit and the LotR as a kid, then rediscovered Tolkien in college. However, I have to admit that my interest didn't extend to his other works until it was piqued again by a certain recent movie trilogy....

Before that, I was content with my once-a-year summer rereading of LotR.

It's nice to find others here of about my age--I was feeling rather alone amidst the young 'uns and the sage professorial types.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:39 AM   #59
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Welcome, tar-ancalime Have a seat by the fire. Backgammon? Pool? Soft drinks?

Old 01-23-2005, 07:51 PM   #60
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
*nudge*

It's a shame to see the best of the "Age" clubs molding at the bottom of the heap while the old people have so much fun on page 1 of the forum!

I'm actually here to celebrate the 14th anniversary of my reading of the Hobbit. As I posted what seems like an age ago on this thread, I first read aloud with my mother when I was 8. I'm now 22 and I still think reading Tolkien aloud is a fabulous way to pass grey winter afternoons.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #61
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Milady Revenwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via MSN to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via Yahoo to Milady Revenwyn
I had to introduce myself to LOtR about 7 years ago. I've read it an average of almost 11 times a year since then. I'm 22. I started with the Hobbit when I was 13. So I started reading them rather late compared to some.
My family is of the serious type, the people who are forever stuck in the real world. My mom read LOtR once upon a time, but she didn't really like it. So thus, she didn't introduce it to me, especially since I already lived in a fantasy world.
Milady Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:51 AM   #62
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Welcome, Milady Revenwyn to the board in general and to this particular corner of it too

Old 05-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #63
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
This looks like the right place.

To find the origin of my Tolkien obsession, we have to go back about 12 years, where we find a 9 year old eagerly reading a grammar text. What, a grammar text? Yes, for this was no ordinary grammar book, filled with nothing but sentence diagramming exercises and information about the parts of speech. In the last pages, there were excerpts from novels that had been turned into some sort of assignment, mostly of the "correct the removed punctuation in this paragraph" sort, and one was from The Fellowship of the Ring. After reading the passages several times and wondering where Mordor was, why Frodo wanted to go there and why Sam wanted to go with him, I went to ask my mother if we could go to the library to find this set of books called The Lord of the Rings that I had just been reading about. Unfortunately, my mother is a lifelong member of the fantasy is not real literature society, and flatly refused to facilitate my "wasting my time" with such books. That put an end to my reading. Temporarily.

And so the years went by. Every time I went to a bookstore, I would walk past the Tolkien section, look at the books, and wonder if I would ever find out what happened in the rest of the story. Finally, my younger sister was assigned The Hobbit as part of her book club. She hated it, but as soon as she put it down, I grabbed the book and read it cover to cover. The old curiosity was renewed instantly, and when The Hobbit was dropped off at the library return desk, I left with a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, which was shortly followed by The Two Towers and The Return of the King. I've never turned back.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:12 AM   #64
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
I, oddly enough, graduate to the MAC now, having turned 18 a few months ago. I first read Tolkien when I was 9, so it looks like I've 9 more years to go until I can graduate again.

18 and middle aged! If I die at 36, I'm going to be severly dissapointed.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #65
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitlass
AAAAH! The place where I belong. Okay now for my story. As stated before, I will turn 30 on April 15.
September 2001 is when I had heard about the movie for LotR. It brought back a memory of me playing at my best-friend's house 18 years earlier. There was some weird cartoon on the T.V. and all I remember is a frog biting off a short person's finger and falling in lava. I wondered if this was the same story.
Few days later I found the Del-Rey paperbacks at Wal-mart real cheap so I snatched them up.
I read The Hobbit and Lotr in a week. I couldn't put them down but I had to, to take care of my three girls.
I stayed up all night when I was finishing Return of the King. I had to pick up my mum and sisters from the airport the next day. I was on such an adrenalin high that I was wired the whole next day.
Since then I have been collecting Tolkien's works.
I discovered this place last August. I love it here. I'm with others that have a common interest (AKA obsession). So I'll be dead here a long time.
This is me, I had to re-incarnate, but the story remains the same! I still love it here and in 8 months I turn 33 and I come-of-age in the Shire-reckoning!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #66
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Though gradually, the club still grows

Welcome, Beren, and welcome back, hobbitlass

Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #67
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
How wonderful that the day I find this club is under a week after I qualify for it.

I'm only just 18, but that makes me... old, I suppose. You truly feel it if you ever head over to the chat room where fourteen-year-olds bemoan their love-struck fates.

I did not "discover" Tolkien's work so much as I was forced to read it in 7th grade by a teacher that by common consent is just plain nuts. I have very clear memories of her reading aloud "Riddles in the Dark" and screaming at the top of her voice (disrupting other classes, mind you) about how Baggins is a theif and we hates it forever.

Even apart from that though, I loved The Hobbit and finished it ages before my classmates. I was... *counts on fingers* 12 at the time.

It was my brother's fault that I ended up a bigger LotR fan than him. I make a point of not telling him, but I tend to share his interests and so make a point to check up on new things he's doing to see if I might like them as well. He flatly refused to let me read LotR. He wanted to experiment with me and make me wait until after the movies came out (this was a month or so before the Fellowship came out in theatres) to see what kind of fan I would be.

I objected fiercely and "went behind his back" to beg an old, beat up copy of The Fellowship off of his English teacher (who just happened to be my 7th grade reading teacher who introduced me to Tolkien in the first place). She handed one over immediately and ever after, I fell in love. I finished it in a few days, borrowed TTT and RotK and read them fast.

I read The Silm for the first time last summer, and I recently got my hands on an old copy of The Tolkien Reader, which I've started. What kind of a fool throws a Tolkien book (published in the 60s, no less) on a free rack at the local library?

*Fea throws a banana peel to see who will slip on it*
Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #68
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
I have been 18 for 7 months, so I guess I qualify. I started reading the hobbit when I was in the spring of my sixth grade year, so I would have been 12 at the time. After that it took me awhile to actually finish reading the Lord of the Rings, I read each book as a book report for my seventh, eighth, and ninth grade years. The first movie came out 3 months later. So once I found out about the movie, which would have been in December. I reread the Fellowship again quickly so I could see how close it was to the book. Immediately afterward, I read the Silmarillion for the first time, and did not understand a word. So I started reading through the Hobbit and LOrd of the Rings again. By the end of my tenth grade year I was reading through the entirety of the Lord of The RIngs and the Appendices in 1 week. I decided to try the Silm out again. This time I knew more about the world it was set in and it wuickly became my favorite of all of Tolkein's major works. I have currently read through HOME 5, The Tolkein Reader, the Unfinished Tales and Sir. Gawain and the Green Knight. and I have read peices of HOME 1-4.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #69
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Why did people stop posting here a month before I joined ? No wonder I never found it. . .

How come the ancient folk can keep their thread alive, but the younger ones neglect theirs?

Anyhow, I have been 21 for a month and 3 days now, I first read the LotR around the time the movies came out. By the time I sa FotR I had just started reading TT amd when I watched the TT, I had finnished TT and RotK and had just gotten my hands on The Hobbit.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #70
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Now that I've been 18 for several months now, I suppose I've advanced from the Underage Club to this one. I knew there a club for young adults somewhere- I'm glad I finally found it.

Anyways, I discovered Tolkien almost five years ago. It feel like I've been a Tolkien fanatic for ages, but when I think about it, five years isn't very long, now is it?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #71
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Why did people stop posting here seven months before I joined ?

I didn't know this place existed. Thanks to ninja, SpM and Rune who dug it out with joint strength.

Me, I'm 27 (for a few weeks left) and read the books only after the movies were out - and I'm absolutely hooked since then.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #72
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Naria approaches the club's Common Room window. She uses her sleeve to rub away caked on dirt from the window and peers inside. To her surprise there were three people standing in front of the fireplace talking. Naria wondered if this would be the place that she was searching for....a place to get out of the cold, to put her feet up and enjoy some conversation.

Naria approached the weathered door and slowly opened it. The creaking door made it hard for her to stay unnoticed and all three turned to see her walk through shaking off some rain. "Ummm, Hi everyone! I hope I am in the right place. By the looks of the dust and cobwebs no one has been here for awhile."
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #73
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Here we go

But that is all to be changed. . . let us get some talking started.

I am currently re-reading all my Tolkien books (in Danish), after that I have a few other books that needs my attention. When I am done with them, I think it is time for me to get something new Tolkien material.

I have The Hobbit, LotR and Silmarillion in both Danish and English. I have the UT in Danish and Tales From the Perilouse Relm in English. What should I get next ?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #74
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have LotR and Silmarillion in both English and German and the Hobbit and UT only in German.

Then the Letters and HoMe 1-5 and 10-12.

Each of these has some very interesting parts and some, well, not so interesting parts. It depends on what you are interested in. Out of the History I'd recommend parts 3 and 10-12.

Part 3 (The Lays of Beleriand) has the lovely Lay of Leithian, the story of Beren and Lúthien in verse (the verses in the Silmarillion are from it). The language is just awesome. I think I memorised half of Canto IV (Before Thingol), I read that part so often. The Lay of the Children of Húrin is great, too, I'm sure, but alliterative rhyme is not so to my taste.

10-12 contain the latest version of the Silmarillion. Part 10 (Morgoth's Ring) also contains 'Laws and Customs among the Eldar', the 'Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth' and 'Myths Transformed', all extremely interesting texts. Part 11 (The War of the Jewels) has 'The Wanderings of Húrin', and Part 12 (The Peoples of Middle-Earth) has 'Of Dwarves and Men' and 'The Shibboleth of Fëanor'.

I'm currently thinking about reading some of the secondary literature on Middle-earth. Can anybody recommend something?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #75
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
You mean there's a club for people like us?

I'm 21, and I think I was 7 or 8 when my dad first read The Hobbit aloud to us. It must have been that age, or thereabouts, because my younger brother and sister sat rapt with me. The volume he read from was illustrated, and I remember my father creating separate voices and idiosyncracies for each and every dwarf, so that everything came alive for me on the page. I read The Hobbit for myself only a few weeks later (I learned to read before attending kindergarten, thanks to my father's stories), and when I was eleven I talked my grandparents into buying me a LotR boxed set that was in the Scholastic Books catalog my teacher sent home with us, and intended for much older students. My public school teachers were appalled. Those poor paperbacks! I read them so many times the bindings split. The Return of the King had been inadvertently re-edited into three volumes last time I saw them.

Homeschooling soon left me plenty of time to read at whatever "grade level" I chose, and I tackled the Silmarillion and a plethora of books of legend and myth, a passion directly aroused by the sense of epic and continuity in Tolkien's works. I usually had two or three books open at any given time (and scattered on flat surfaces throughout the house, to my mother's intense frustration).

Now, though, having married and moved half a country from my parent's house, I own no Tolkien but a cherished copy of The Hobbit, given me by my siblings for my high school graduation. Oh well.

I envy those of you who've read the books in multiple languages. It seems to me something that could give such an interesting perspective on the stories, but I don't speak anything but English well enough even to try.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #76
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
when I was eleven I talked my grandparents into buying me a LotR boxed set that was in the Scholastic Books catalog my teacher sent home with us
I remember those catalogs! My mom would always let me pick out 3-5 books of my choice. The day those books arrived at school was like Christmas.

I wish I had the opportunity to read the books at a younger age. It remained unknown to me for 13 years that there were actually old copies of the trilogies and two copies of The Hobbit- one per parent (the one my dad owns is an ancient copy, printed shortly after RotK was published- it even has Tolkien's artwork in it)- sitting in the bookshelves at home, collecting dust. Strangely enough, my parents never read their books (well okay, my mom did read The Hobbit, but it was decades ago). Since my parents never got into his books, I suppose that is why I was never introduced to Tolkien at a young age. It wasn't until a few months before the FotR movie was released that I even slightly knew what the trilogy was about. After hearing my friends constantly jabber about their excitement for the movie, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about and picked up my mom's copy of The Hobbit. Aside from being slightly discolored from old age, those books were in almost perfect condition. Let's just say there was a reason why my mom decided to buy me my own copies of the books....
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #77
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I also recommend The Lost Road, which I think is in HoME V, and from which I've taken my current signature. I haven't finished it yet, being short on time lately. Makes the signature rather appropriate, doesn't it?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #78
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I don't have any of the HoME series, should I not buy them all at once or at least 1-5 ?

It just seems "wrong" for me to buy 5, I assume there is a reason to them being given numbers.

garr what is it with all you americans marrying young, it makes me feel so old.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #79
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

I wouldn't buy them all at once, they're not that cheap after all.

Here's a nice page that has a synopsis of the parts. I guess it's best to first take what interests you most.

The reason for the numbers is that it's way too much for one book. It took Christopher Tolkien 13 years to sort all (well, not all, but much) of his father's writings. They're arranged (roughly) in the order J.R.R. Tolkien wrote them, so Book 1 contains his earliest writings and Book 12 his latest. Unless you want to follow J.R.R. Tolkien in his thought process, I don't think you should mind to read in whatever order you like.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #80
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
No! For the last time I am NOT 28!.... sorry guys, the guy dressed in gray with a weird stick in his hand was holding me at the door... he kept saying "you... shall not pass!!!! unless you are young enough for the middle age club." But I'm here!

Now, I can't even recall when it was the first time I read LoTR. I actually started by the Hobbit, but I can't recall when I read that either. I must have been around 14-ish when I read the Hobbit and immediately after I read LoTR. The thing I remember the most was finishing The Two Towers almost by midnight on a Saturday and trying to convince my parents to take me in a wild hunt for any open bookstores that might have The Return of the King. THEY WERE TAKING FRODO, AND HE WAS ALIVE!!!!

That was a looong loong night, first thing the following morning I got RoTK.

Since then I have read the Silmarillion, finished (reading) Unfinished Tales, Roverandom and Tales from the Perilous Realm. I also started Lost Tales but didn't quite catch on with it.

But hey! I'm glad to be here... and don't worry Rune, I'm still far from married... Perhaps we should start the "Tolkien Singles (and not looking to get married soon) club"