The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2001, 03:03 AM   #1
Jirvin

Ring 3 or 4 feet?

<BR>Does anybody know how tall the guys in the Fellowship are? Who is tallest? Who is shortest? Who is shortest/tallest of the hobbits? Is Gandalf taller then Aragorn? Is Legolas taller then Boromir? It may sound strange but I really want to know. <p></p>
Old 04-11-2001, 05:37 AM   #2
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I think Aragorn was the tallest, then Boromir, then Gandalf.<br> <br> By the end of the tale, Merry &amp; Pippin should have been taller than Frodo &amp; Sam, though that may not have been the case at the beginning.<br> <br> Halflings would be four feet (max) or less, down to three feet.<br> <br> Much smaller these days...<br> <br> <br> I've read somewhere that the Numenoreans (Aragorn being a true descendant) were taller than other men, well over six feet. Bree men were shorter. Riders of Rohan would be inbetween. Ghan buri ghan and his folk would be between Bree height and hobbit height.<br> <br> If I had to guess, I'd say a tall hobbit of this time would be less than four feet, Merry &amp; Pippin growing to about that height. If they were head and shoulders above other hobbits, this would make the average halfling at around three feet, or half the height of the average man. <p><center> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">Barrow-Downs</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000">Bare Bones</a>~<a href="http://pub41.ezboard.com/btarostineruhir">Tar Ost-in-Eruhir</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000/gilthalion.html">Grand Adventures</a>~<a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/fanfichobbits.asp">The Hobbits</a>~<a href="http://www.tolkientrail.com">Tolkien Trail</a> </center></p>
Old 04-12-2001, 04:55 AM   #3
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

enep has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> But Peter Jackson might not see it that way, that's the problem. Elijah Wood is a shrimp, but he's still 5'9 or something, oversized for a hobbit but shorter in comparison to the other actors (minus Gimli, the actor's name escapes me). Viggo + Sean Bean are 6', Orlando Bloom (Legolas) a similar height. <br> <br> Eomer (can't remember the actor, too lazy to look it up) is 6', and I doubt that there'll be much noticable difference between the Rangers/Dunedain and the Rohirrim/Gondorians. I believe for the younger hobbits they have children playing in minor parts? <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 04-12-2001, 11:32 AM   #4
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> They're using midgets for any direct interaction with the taller characters. Stand-ins and extras. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 04-16-2001, 04:16 AM   #5
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

Ring

<BR><br><br> I want to know what the finished-product orcs are going to look like...Goblins, with squinty eyes and long arms? Or big, man-like monstrosities? With basketball players to play them? Hmm. <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 04-22-2001, 02:29 PM   #6
Drew2K1
Haunting Spirit

Drew2K1 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Legolas?</b><br><br> I alays thought Legolas to be the tallest, I have no reason for this though.... <p></p>
Drew2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 05:01 PM   #7
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Answer</b><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> Aragorn was the tallest of the Company, but Boromir, little less in height, was the broader and heavier in build. -<i> The Ring Goes South</i><hr></blockquote><br> <br> ...quotes réd from her spiffy new Millenium Edition <i> Lord of the Rings</i> hardbacks. <br> <br> -réd <p><blockquote><p>"He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer."</p> <p>-A Short Rest, <i>The Hobbit</i></p></blockquote></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000094>red</A> at: 4/22/01 7:03:54 pm<br></i>
Old 04-23-2001, 01:07 AM   #8
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

Ring

<BR><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> &quot;...quotes réd from her spiffy new Millenium Edition Lord of the Rings hardbacks.&quot;<hr></blockquote><br> <br> Must...buy... <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 04-23-2001, 06:33 PM   #9
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> but I have a copy,illustrated by Ted Nasmith,with an epic trilogy coming soon from New Line Cinema across the top,and The Fellowship of the Ring is falling to ruin-paberbacks suck-.<br> Sam <p></p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 09:41 AM   #10
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Ring

<BR><br><br> A new special edition would be nice...but until then I have my trusty used-bookstore copies to read and re-read and loan out to friends. And I'll probably replace them with more used-bookstore copies. I like old books! Anyone got a first edition Hobbit? I'd love to read the original version, before he had to change it to make it fit with LotR...<br> <br> (This thread was already off on a tangent, and I think I'm making it worse! Oh well...) <p><i>I do not know that we can have a heaven here on earth, but I am sure we need not have a hell here either. --Rich Mullins</i></p>

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:56 AM   #11
Mithrandir
Haunting Spirit

Mithrandir has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Yay. . .another person who buys all of their books from used bookstores!!!! Thats the way to go <p>The Road goes ever on and on </p>
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 06:08 PM   #12
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> All my books (Hobbit, LotR, Sil) are second-hand Unwin Paperbacks from 1979 (various previous owners). The Hobbit is probably the most falling-apart one, it used to be a school book. (I remember explaining sometime before that I did not steal it. I reiterate that point now. )<br> <br> The LotR is in 3 volumes, each in varying stages of falling apart - the FotR is probably the most worn out - it's the one I seem to read half of, then decide not to bother re-reading the whole LotR. <br> <br> The Sil is still in really good condition - I think whoever had it before me either was a very careful reader, or didn't get past page 10... <p>"This sig is proudly quote-free." -Me.<br> (Also known as eoz, and now has a non-Tolkien forum, called <a href="http://pub57.ezboard.com/beverythingelse45161">everything else</a>.) </p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:18 PM   #13
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

Ring

<BR><br><br> *GASP!* <br> <br> You <i> stole</i> it???<br> <br> <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 04-26-2001, 08:31 PM   #14
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR><br><br> Yeah...I remember that to, but if you truly didn't steal it, then why go through all that trouble to try and prove it that it was not stolen. You see, I think you did steal it, but because you know you did, you made some ellaborate excuse, and have to keep reenforcing it until we don't question you anymore. <p></p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 02:24 AM   #15
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> <p>What if - what if this is as good as it gets?</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 05:44 PM   #16
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I tell you! It was the next-door neighbour who <i> stole</i> it! I just permanently borrowed it from her! <p>"This sig is proudly quote-free." -Me.<br> (Also known as eoz, and now has a non-Tolkien forum, called <a href="http://pub57.ezboard.com/beverythingelse45161">everything else</a>.) </p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 05:47 PM   #17
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I love my copies of the books. I asked for and recieved hardcover versions of LotR and HOB for Christmas, but I really only read my paperback additions. I actually have several copies of most of the books. Hey Zoe, dont worry, I used to steal books all the time. <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 04-27-2001, 08:34 PM   #18
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Like Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin &amp; Company &quot;stealing&quot; from the Trolls! <p><center> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">Barrow-Downs</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000">Bare Bones</a>~<a href="http://pub41.ezboard.com/btarostineruhir">Tar Ost-in-Eruhir</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000/gilthalion.html">Grand Adventures</a>~<a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/fanfichobbits.asp">The Hobbits</a>~<a href="http://www.tolkientrail.com">Tolkien Trail</a> </center></p>
Old 04-28-2001, 05:43 PM   #19
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

Ring

<BR><br><br> I have a copy of the Hobbit from my old school, admittedly, that I have yet to return But I've never read it, which sort of defeats the purpose <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 05-01-2001, 10:45 AM   #20
RedCapitalist

Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> <br> I agree with the post that said that Aragorn is the tallest of the company, HOWEVER, many times in the LOTR it mentions Gandalf &quot;growing taller&quot; or &quot;standing, reaching his full height.&quot; I don't have any facts to back me up, but I would bet ANYONE that Gandalf at his &quot;full height&quot; is the tallest member of the company. <p></p>
Old 05-01-2001, 07:15 PM   #21
Mithrandir
Haunting Spirit

Mithrandir has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> I most definately agree, since when Gandalf rose to his full height, i pictured him towering above everybody. Even if he wasnt taller in height, i think that his presence made him all the more taller. You know how some people just look taller then everyone else? <br> <br> And by the way, i always took books from the school to read, but i would never remember to give them back. Its not necessarily stealing, now is it? Just forgetfulness <p>The Road goes ever on and on </p>
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:21 PM   #22
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> Ok ok, not stealing. As a civilized hobbit might say, burglaring. <p>Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 05:18 AM   #23
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> I'd call it the laziness of a child who just could never remember to put them in her bag to take to school. Yes, I am talking about me. I have about 15 books tucked away that have my middle school library logo stamped in them. <p>-*-The X Phial-*- "Yet more fair is the living land of Lorien, and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth!"</p>
Old 05-03-2001, 12:08 AM   #24
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> RedCapitalist: *gasp* a Capitalist!<br> <br> -<i> enep the commie</i> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000041>enep</A> at: 5/3/01 2:09:40 am<br></i>
Old 05-03-2001, 10:02 AM   #25
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> But he's (I'm guessing he) a &quot;RED&quot; capitalist, so it's not really so bad. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 05-09-2001, 07:17 PM   #26
Amandil
Haunting Spirit

Amandil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> I don't remember how tall he was when he started out, but in Minas Tirith, (long after drinking the Entdraught), Pippin tells Bergil son of Beregond that he is &quot;but four feet tall&quot; (in relation to the 10 year old old human boy's five foot height.)<br> <p></p>
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 09:03 PM   #27
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dûm

GandaIf The White has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: 3 or 4 feet?</b><br><br> I suppose that there height would also be based on what race of hobbit they are. I know that Tooks were of a different race of hobbit than Baggins.. and that they were usually taller than most hobbits. I would guess, therefore, that Pippin was the tallest to begin with, then Merry, Frodo, Sam. I have always pictured it that way atleast.<br> <br> As for the rest of the Company, Aragorn was tallest, Boromir second, Legolas third, Gandalf fourth, and Gimili is ofcourse last. Im not sure about Legolas and Boromir though.. They might be almost the same height. <p>_______________________________________________ ___________________“One of the candidates had mercifully left one of the pages with no writing on it (which is the best thing that can possibly happen to an examiner) and I wrote on it: “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” Names always generate a story in my mind. Eventually I thought I’d better find out what hobbits were like. But that’s only the beginning.” - J.R.R. Tolkien.</p>
GandaIf The White is offline   Reply With Quote