The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 AM   #1
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Ring Is the movie such a good idea?

<BR>I realise that many people are looking forward to the movies, but is making a movie about a book of these proportions such a good idea? For example, it will be impossible to capture the true beuty of the elves. Also, it will be impossible to show the sheer terror of a Nazgul flying overhead. I think it was a good concept to make this movie, but is it really such a good idea.<br> <br> Also, if you watch any movie based on a book, it is NEVER as good as the book. I realise that a lot of you are going to yell at me for such controversial thoughts, but somebody has to say it. <p></p>

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 10:21 AM   #2
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR><br><br> Zzzzzzzzzz.... <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 12:43 PM   #3
Eldar14
Wight

Ring

<BR><br><br> what's that about!?!?! :"> <p></p>

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 06-17-2001, 06:08 PM   #4
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dűm

GandaIf The White has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> It can never be as good as the books. Just someones interpretation of the books. If it makes money, why not make it. <p>"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."</p>
GandaIf The White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:43 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> What Underhill means,Eldar,is that this has been a hot topic for quite a while. Check out the other threads in this section.<br> &quot;I think I figured it out&quot; and &quot;A HUGE problem with Bombadil's removal&quot; especially. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000125>Inziladu n</A> at: 6/18/01 7:48:50 am<br></i>
Old 06-20-2001, 10:54 AM   #6
Odysseus819
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Odysseus819 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Which doesn't excuse Mr. U's rudeness. Totally unlike the REAL Frodo, who was a model of courtesy (except when under the one ring's spell). <p>By practice taught, I have learned patience, having much endured/ By tempest and in battle both. Come then This evil also! I am well prepared.</p>
Odysseus819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 02:54 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR><br><br> Okay, sorry if I was rude -- but c'mon E14. I'd estimate that at least 75% of the movie threads contain some permutation of the &quot;should the movies have been made&quot; debate. The two threads that Inziladun mentioned were heavily active within a day or two of your post. Surely you don't think your stance is that controversial, or that anyone else is afraid to take it? Folks like Inziladun and The Lorien Wanderer have been championing this position for months. If you just feel like stirring the pot, that's cool, but I must admit I get a bit impatient with posts that are designed <i> just</i> to try to provoke people into &quot;yelling at you&quot;. <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 11:12 PM   #8
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dűm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Re:</b><br><br> I suggest you read the previous threads. Then if there's something new you want to say, post it. <p></p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 10:17 AM   #9
Glorifindel
Pile O'Bones

Glorifindel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Re:</b><br><br> I think if you go to the movies not expecting it to follow the story line of the books you will be impressed, from what I have seen the special effects and scenery are all magnificent. But if you go to see this movie expecting it to be exactly like the books you will not like it as much. There is no way that they would put out a movie with no changes from the book. The director has to have his own creative input to the story and maybe what he thinks are improvements over the books. So just take it like any other movie and don't expect anything too great and I predict you will be pleasantly surprised. <p></p>
Glorifindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 11:56 AM   #10
Eldar14
Wight

Ring

<BR><br><br> Sorry about that, but as you could tell from my only having 17 posts at the time, I was new here, and I didn't realise that this topic has been brought up before. Once again, sorry. <p></p>

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 06-24-2001, 03:39 PM   #11
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>no</b><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> The director has to have his own creative input to the story and maybe what he thinks are <i> improvements over the books.</i><hr></blockquote><br> No, this is not the director's intention. Any changes made may be for the purpose of making the story fit into the alloted time (only 6 or so hours), but NOT for 'improvement over the books', which is not possible.<br> <br> -ręd <p><blockquote><p>"He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer."</p> <p>-A Short Rest, <i>The Hobbit</i></p></blockquote></p>
Old 06-24-2001, 07:43 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> No problem,E14. I've done it before. There has been so much discussed here over time that perusing older threads before starting a new topic is always a good idea. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000125>Inziladu n</A> at: 6/24/01 9:50:50 pm<br></i>
Old 07-19-2001, 07:25 PM   #13
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Hmmmm...</b><br><br> It's just an interpretation,not the real thing, and if people dont get the idea then their just dumb(sorry but if they dont get the full meaning of NAZGUL and how terrible they are then frankly they dont get the idea)and and antoher thing most of the first veiwers will be Tolkienites(I'll probably be the first in line)THEN as people get interested they will start coming and that's when you can start to worry about the full impact that the nazgul and all those guys have on the crowds.<br> I dont really care about the impact of LOTR on the people, it's the inbetween times that worry me, you know little action figures and all that :"> ( not to happy bout that.<br> Sammy chil' <p> Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.</p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:03 AM   #14
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR>From Samwise's Mom! LOL</b><br><br> I was in High School when the Ralph Bakshi version came out, and it was heralded with much fanfare, eager anticipation, kudos, media hype, etc. We all of us looked forward to seeing it... bleh.<br> <br> So, with Samwise, I'm looking forward to the movies, but not expecting &quot;much.&quot; I almost don't want to go see them, because my imagined Frodo and Sam, the Elrond and Aragorn of my mind, will forever be imprinted with the director's casting choices. Likewise, the Misty Mountains, Rivendell, Caradhras, Moria, Gondor, Mirkwood. New Zealand's (I'm sure) beautiful scenery, along with the skills and talents of set designers and builders, will become those places in my mind's eye.<br> <br> But, as has already been mentioned, this topic is elsewhere discussed indepth, and I'm sure more eloquently than I can do.<br> <br> peace,<br> bunsofaluminum <p> Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.</p>
Old 07-22-2001, 02:58 AM   #15
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ring

<BR><br><br> What, is this like a 'let me take on another name and back up my own point' thingie. Because you forgot to log in under a different name and you've said 'alongwith samwise'..... <p>"But why?" he asked in bewilderment, looking upon Death. "Why?" he asked again. </p>
Old 07-23-2001, 07:37 PM   #16
SteadfastSam
Seeker of Light

SteadfastSam has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Haahaha. <p>"I will, Lord." said Tuor.</p>
SteadfastSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 01:53 PM   #17
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR>LOL</b><br><br> It's cool that she uses my name for her ideas but to tell the truth the first post she did in myname kind of um scared me to say the least,you were there Sam. And she and I agree on all the facts of LOTR save for two points,she's less ecxited about it and she does'nt think that the images of Frodo are what her image of him is(or anyone else for that matter),and that will be a problem for those who have NOT read the book, but most of the public viewing LOTR will be fans of the actors and fans of LOTR and fans of both coming back for seconds or thirds(which I might do depending on how good/bad it is) so I dont think that most of the public will be totally clueless as to LOTR or Liv Taylor.Understandable?Besides I'm not worried so much about the movie as I am about the publicity Oh it's okay that the movies are promoted by posters and sound tracks but ACTION FIGURES?Hmmmmmm I dont know?*scratches curly head in puzzlement*<br> SAM <p></p>
Old 08-07-2001, 12:43 AM   #18
Estelmo

Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> Well, I'm not that sure. What I know is I've waited a long time for such a movie... However it could turn to be a complete failure. I believe it all depends on the small details - they create the unique atmosphere, don't they? Wait and see is all that's left. I'll count the moments. <p></p>
Old 08-20-2001, 11:22 PM   #19
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dűm

GandaIf The White has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> No, this is not the director's intention. Any changes made may be for the purpose of making the story fit into the alloted time (only 6 or so hours), but NOT for 'improvement over the books', which is not possible.<hr></blockquote><br> <br> So JP's beefing up the love between Aragorn and Arwen isn't supposed to be viewed as something he thought would improve the movie for the general audience? <p>"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."</p>
GandaIf The White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:20 AM   #20
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> this has probably been said, but the main problem with an undertaking such as these films, anticipation can noticably affect the percieved quality of the books. For example, a friend of mine didn't see the Matrix until 2 years after it came out. After having heard about how 'cool' the Matrix was for so long, he built up an image in his mind that the movie couldn't compete with. That is my primary concern- that the speculation and endless barrage of enthusiasts' projections are going to make the movies impact and quality less, because of all that. Get every one you know to read the book before seeing the movie <p>"A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not."</p>
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 05:29 AM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> The main problem with an undertaking such as these films, anticipation can noticably affect the perceived quality of the books.<hr></blockquote><br> <br> I'm concerned about that also. I don't feel there are many who will see the movies in all their big screen, grand glory, with astonishing special effects and elaborately built sets, and then spend days or weeks afterwards slogging through a 1000 + page book that offers them nothing but words on a page. Sales of the book are up from what I've heard, and I guess that's good. I'm sure they'll improve even more with the release of FoTR in December, but I wonder how many will take the time to read, and to enjoy the story in its best form. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p>
Old 08-23-2001, 04:04 PM   #22
Halbarad
Wight

Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> mind you- it is directed by a Tolkien lover- and filmed here in New Zealand- where they filmed the dead marshes scene was quite similar to how I envisioned it... <p>"A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not."</p>
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Old 08-26-2001, 09:15 AM   #23
Valros Barazhor
Animated Skeleton

Valros Barazhor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> Well my thoughts are this, Yes and No.<br> For Tolkien fans it is the worst possible thing to do.<br> A movie with time restraints, budget restraints, and limited resources in actors can never possibly live up to the expectations or pre-visualized notions of how the characters look, how scenes should be filmed or how scenery and costumes should be portrayed.<br> There are parts of the book that are interesting and wonderful but aren't really neccessary to tell the story.<br> As an example, The role of Glorfindel. Tolkien created a whole world with all sorts of back stories that are included in LOTR because he thought that these stories would never see the light of day.<br> Glorifindel is great but shows up saves the day and then really isn't in the rest of the books. This role is easily allocated to another character who does play a continuing role(like Legolas in the animated version.)<br> Why is it a good idea? Becausse there are many people who don't even know that these stories even exist. Your average<br> school age person has probably never read the books and this movie is one way of introducing one of the greatest works of Fantasy Fiction to the world. Modern Fantasy wouldn't be what it is today without Tolkien's works.<br> We would be reading another Conan or Tarzan story if not for<br> Mr. Tolkien and this is an important fact that is lost to most of the world. Hopefully the exposure from the movie will bring this great work to the majority of the population instead of the minority.<br> Nuff Said,<br> Valros <p></p>
Valros Barazhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 05:45 PM   #24
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> Great Point Valros!Kudos! Although the only problems I see for the tolkien fans is that #1 The many humoungous changes they make in the movie will cause some of them to choke on their popcorn.#2.Some people might get so excited they camp out infront of theaters in 20 below zero weather in tents and they'll catch a minor case of Hypothermya,or #3.Police will have to be called to the malls to get the many tolkien shoppers out of the shops.NOT So they can close.Other then that I dont think there's a problem.LOL <br> Sam <p> Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.</p>
Old 08-28-2001, 02:28 PM   #25
Valros Barazhor
Animated Skeleton

Valros Barazhor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Is the movie such a good idea?</b><br><br> Well Sam....<br> Camping out in the freezing weather could bring home that<br> crossing the Misty Mountains experience! <br> As for the shops, I am a hopeless merchandising collector and look forward to all the crazy items available...<br> ...unfortunately I will look silly buying multiple kids meals at Burger King! <p></p>
Valros Barazhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 01:20 PM   #26
Eldar14
Wight

Sting

The thing I keep getting more worried about the closer and closer we get is the rush of so-called LOTR 'fans' that will pop up right after the movie comes out. I just hope that the Barrow Downs doesn't get flooded with a swarm of people who saw the movie and assume they know everything about LOTR. Not only would it make it harder to discuss ME for those of us who have read the books, but it might also discourage those who have just seen the movie by making them realise that they know very little about ME.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 09-24-2001, 06:13 PM   #27
Halbarad
Wight

Tolkien

Mmmm, but then we can blow their socks off with our profound knowledge and understanding...
Old 09-25-2001, 10:39 AM   #28
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

I'm going to blow my top the day a Tolkien 'fan' walks in here and tries to argue about whether Arwen really fought a battle. And I will cringe every time these 'fans' ask 'But who is Tom Bombadil?'. In a totally different way from what we mean that is. <p>[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: the Lorien wanderer ]
Old 09-25-2001, 04:51 PM   #29
Halbarad
Wight

Tolkien

Pray, be more patient Tell them to go away and read everything and then come back. Then tell them to read all the threads, and if they're still not satisfied yiu can tell them to read the Sil. Still, no-one may come at all.....
Old 09-25-2001, 07:11 PM   #30
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Sting

I think there will be an increase of newbies after the movie is released. Those who are truly interested will hopefully read the books next anyway. Those to whom LoTR is just a fad will drop out of the picture after the novelty has worn off for them.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:01 PM   #31
Vorechoriel

Sting

here's my two cents...and seeing that everyone else have made their points so eloquently and many shar my views, my two cents will be small. anyway, i think the movies were a good idea because so many people who knew nothing of LOTR of Tolkien now know that they exist and will become curious about them...curious enough to maybe pick up a copy. and even though PJ's vision may not be many Tolkienists ideals, doesnt mean the movie isn't gonna be good. i personally, feel that PJ is doing a great job of making these movies from what i've seen so far, because most of what i've seen comes freakishly close to what i envisioned. granted this will not be the case for all Tolkienists, but not all fans will choke on their popcorn. im looking forward to the 19th...i've already picked out the perfect spot outside the movie theater for my tent...lembas anyone?
Old 11-02-2001, 08:20 AM   #32
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>it's okay that the movies are promoted by posters and sound tracks but ACTION FIGURES? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Speaking for myself, when I was first reading LoTR as a fresh faced 13 year old I would have loved there to have been action figures I could buy. I've already seen the figures too. They're not THAT bad.<P>Another point I'll mention is that this film will no doubt leave a large impression on the minds of people reading the books after it's release. Where as now everyone has their own idea of what Frodo looks like after the film Elija Wood will be the uniform image of the little hobbit. It'll be like trying to read Silence of The Lambs now for the first time and picturing some one other than Anthony Hopkins as Hanibal Lecter. I don't know if this is such a bad thing but the books will never be read (by Tolkien virgins) the same way again.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:10 PM   #33
Emperor Sully

Sting

Well, I think the movie is a good and bad idea. <P>It is good for long time readers since they can see a movie about the books.<P>It is a bit of a bad idea for newbies since they should read the books before they see the movie.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:48 AM   #34
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

If you expect the world you will be dissapointed in an acre. If you expect a square you will be even more saticfied with an acre than the greedy will be with the hole world.<P>That's something u should think about, having expectations on the movies.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:11 PM   #35
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

But the ones who see the movie and haven't readthebooksmight go out and buy them, would you wait a year for the next movie to come out or buy the Two Towers, and Return of the King? Thenbuy the felloewship of the Ring to see what I missed. Which would make me even more excited for the next movie to come out.<BR>I've read them several times, and my biggest complaint with the new movie/merchandising is there are no Elrond collectables.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 11:18 PM   #36
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't doubt that people will read the Two Towers and the Return of the King after the first movie comes out. Otherwise, wouldn't it just be maddening to be left 1/3 of the way through the story? I'm kinda hoping the cast has a cut of the profits in action figures.<P>Ignorant opinions on the barrow-downs won't be a problem. A few quotes out of the Silm. will encourage people to read further, or abandon the arguement. If we don't want people to visit the barrow-downs, why keep voting for it, we should keep it a secret club complete with passwords and handshakes. The Barrow-Masons?<P>-Maril
Old 12-02-2001, 03:34 AM   #37
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Being a huge fan of the books I think reading the books will always be better. However I am a huge fan of movies and I do want to see these films very much. It is one view of the books by one man. Things will be changed but it doesn't mean it will ruin it.<P>Visually, from the trailers, it looks stunning. Stuff Ive seen from there meets my imagination. <P>Some people say the story is too big to make it into a movie. I think its too big not to make it into a movie.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote