The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #801
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations, baddies! That was a very close game. It was fun to watch both threads from the side without being personally involved. For the record, I was cheering for whichever side was losing at any given time. ^.^

With pride, I can claim I suspected sally from Day 2, when she started to participate actively. However, I was completely lost about all the gifteds, and even at the very end when it should have been nearly process of elimination I thought the Ranger was Kath.

The game was epic and intense. I am glad I wasn't playing but got to watch. It's a shame the NW didn't get to use his role though. That was an interesting role twist that was debated a lot before the game but never played out. Overall though great game Boro! Turns out gifteds and wolves do occasionally die in your games - but it's still gonna be a votes race!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #802
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Honour where honour is due: Rikae, that was awesome! We only began to suspect it was you last Night (actually Mac did), but I should probably have guessed because I'm pretty sure you'd have destroyed me if you'd been innocent.
They were brilliant. I dreamed them on N3 because I had a bad feeling (it didn't sound like innocent Rikae to be so wrong about their suspects) but I now can't figure out why I didn't join the dots and think Cobbler until yesterDay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
Kudos to our Sestra Wolfcake, Sally, who actually suggested to kill Greenie when we did. That was a stroke of genius! Her being the seer came as a joyous surprise, to me at least.
Hang on - so you didn't actually know I was the Seer? I can't decide if this makes me feel better or worse. (Reminds me of my first ever game as a Seer where I was picked as a no-trace kill on Night 2. At least I survived a bit longer this time. )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #803
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think I'm heading to bed, but there's still a lot to mull over tomorrow. I want to read the dead thread, it sounds fun (why do I never get there??) and it might make me feel a little better about my cluelessness.

Also, I really liked Rikae's random comment on categorising players based on perceptiveness, persuasiveness and resilience. Where do you guys think you stand?

Personally I think I'm very resilient (I almost always make it to the endgame, or at least Night/Day 4-5ish, regardless of whether I'm ordo, wolf or gifted).

I can also be fairly persuasive I think (see for instance getting Sally lynched last game)...

...but it isn't really a blessing because my weak point is perceptiveness. Which was proven AGAIN in this game.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #804
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I want to read the dead thread, it sounds fun (why do I never get there??) and it might make me feel a little better about my cluelessness.
I highly recommend it. You get called a wolf a lot.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 06-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #805
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Also since I should have said it earlier, thaks Boro for modding the game. <3 Despite all the suffering, it was fun.

And I quite liked the rules, even though I must say I prefer the other version of the dead thread ie where they get a vote instead of empowering a villager. It's less... chaotic, and it saves everyone the kind of headache we all had yesterDay about the stupid communication scheme.

Now I'm REALLY off to bed.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #806
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Then subsequently the head bashing that after her death the focus was on complicated messages to the Dead players and not actually reading Greenie's posts.
This was actually one of the things that made us dead just go nuts in there! At least the innocents should understand that those systems don't work and can't work, and are only a waste of time. The villagers could use that time to do something actually important - like this time trying to understand what the Seer had left them.

Why doesn't it work? There's always going to be several version of the lists and the wolves will use the one that benefits them and only chaos ensues - and even if there is just one, you can't be sure whether the dead accepted to use it or not. And thirdly: the dead don't like to pushed around by the living, especially if they think they see things better than the living (whether it is true they do, is another matter then). Fex. we were never going to use any of your lists - and I remember the same feeling from a few other Dead Threads back in time.

But yes, that vote-splitting really crowned this wolf-victory. It was beautiful indeed.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #807
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I can't say I didn't deserve it yesterDay. But if also before that, then it's rude.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #808
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Legate (thy Lord Annatar bids you rise from the grave!), good choice to take my place as BH trap bait when you did. It hurt to lose you, but you've been avenged!
And you certainly made me watch you proudly from the grave, and not regret leaving it up to you one bit!

Incidentally - I just remembered your "potential Seer post" (well, as we dubbed it retroactively) where you announced my guilt to the whole village in your very first post... that never came into play. But perhaps that was good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Then he had a bold plot to openly accuse Mac of being a werewolf and tried to bait the wolves to come after him that night. (I'd be interested to hear from the pack what they thought about Nilp that day he voted for Mac).
I at least recall suggesting killing Nilp as one of our initial (perhaps two) options, but we pretty quickly decided against it as it would implicate Mac.

That actually reminds me: I think our Night kills, including the Greenie one, were pure chance for most part! Correct me, Wolfmates, if I am wrong, but I think we did not have very clear reading on anything special at least during the time I was alive.
Also on the Night we killed Greenie, we nearly went for Rikae. Imagine if that had happened. But yes, our dear Sestra Wolfcake <3 talked us over into a better idea.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #809
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I may have forgotten something, but Brinniel was the only I know of who said (yesterDay, I believe?) at some point correctly who all the Wolves were.
I did not enjoy reading those posts. My optimism took a hit for a while, until I realized I might actually get away with going after Shasta.

Quote:
But folks... try sending kill PMs when another person is sitting a meter and half from you...
Preach!

Quote:
Mac, was that post of yours on Day2 where you made a list and similarly worded your innocent feelings of me and Rikae a deliberate protection lure?
A what? Please realize that you're asking a person who legitimately thought Shasta was the cobbler for Days.

Quote:
And the "dead communication" plots were mostly being stirred by a wolfy-Mac
I just wanted to look like a helpful member of the community!

Quote:
(I'd be interested to hear from the pack what they thought about Nilp that day he voted for Mac).
He 100% fooled me and it took my packmates to talk me out of it. On Day3 I made a post about fake gifted reveals - that was me trying to lay some groundwork to dispute seerNilp in the future.

Quote:
Her being the seer came as a joyous surprise, to me at least.
Likewise. I didn't expect it.

Quote:
Mac, you said last game you were always nervous as a wolf, but you looked totally cool to me most of the Daytime. Admirable!
I previewed every post like five times to check whether my tone sounded right!

Quote:
My N1 Lottie, N2 Nilp, N3 Legate interpretation was solely based on quotes picked from other people's analyses.
Ah yes, I remember. Those were mine.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #810
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Did any of you save our wolf pm's, btw?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #811
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
I have them on my laptop. If the village likes, I could share them later this weekend. 🙂
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #812
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Finally, unrelated sidenote - I'm almost disappointed we didn't get a chance to see the Nightmare Pitch in action. (Though God knows us Gifteds were in enough trouble as it was ) So maybe that's a role we can have again in a later game?
Seconded! It was ironic that I, as the most expendable member of the pack, ended up in a rather safe spot, suspected here and there but never seriously and mostly written off as the cobbler. But what the knowledge of my secret superpower did for me was keep me from worrying about survival, which in turn may have reinforced the cobblerish impression (what Lommy correctly called my detachment from the game). I was ready to be lynched any old Day if need be, it just never happened.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #813
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Fex. we were never going to use any of your lists - and I remember the same feeling from a few other Dead Threads back in time.
Funnily, according to my list, empowering Shasta would have pointed to Sally being a wolf!
Old 06-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #814
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think I'm heading to bed, but there's still a lot to mull over tomorrow. I want to read the dead thread, it sounds fun (why do I never get there??) and it might make me feel a little better about my cluelessness.
Quote:
Also recommending it to anyone of you who are missing Kafka on your to-read list, you might be able to cover quite a bit of it from there
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #815
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Funnily, according to my list, empowering Shasta would have pointed to Sally being a wolf!
They made a pact to empower the person who was going to be wrongfully lynched. Which I found quite amusing...

Form the previous day and then Shasta.

Although that narration was a blast, because Nilp had messaged me around 2 that he couldn't go on the Barrow-downs, that's when I knew to check and see the server was down. He said he really had to get some sleep since it was afterall 2am for him, but he would set an alarm before the DL and no promises.

So the Dead thread players are counting down hoping Nilp doesn't wake up, because they figured he wouldn't vote for Mac.

With 5 minutes, I'm thinking there's no way he's waking up and making it in time. I had the "It's deadline. Stop posting" typed up and was going to explain with the tie and empowered Shasta, Mac would be lynched, narration and role will follow soon.

I clicked post on that and saw Nilp's vote with the time stamp of :00. I mean it had to be seconds to spare before it turned to :01. And I couldn't believe it. Crazy, crazy time.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #816
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Bedtime. I'll leave the Dead Thread for tomorrow. I love you all! And to be sure, thanks to Boro for modding an insanely fun game!
Old 06-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #817
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
That was a very close game.
Haha, I think you are being too kind. More like an brilliant game from the baddies and an epic failure from us confused villagers!

Congrats are in order indeed to the other side! Even if we had lynched Mac yesterDay, I think you would've still won because I for one did not think Sally and Mac were on the same team.

Quote:
Personally I think I'm very resilient (I almost always make it to the endgame, or at least Night/Day 4-5ish, regardless of whether I'm ordo, wolf or gifted).
As I recall, that seems to happen to me too. After last game, I was convinced I'd get Night killed earlier on.

Quote:
And I quite liked the rules, even though I must say I prefer the other version of the dead thread ie where they get a vote instead of empowering a villager. It's less... chaotic, and it saves everyone the kind of headache we all had yesterDay about the stupid communication scheme.
Agreed in that the part I liked about it more was that we heard from the Dead/Quarantine Thread two hours before deadline, so that the village had the chance to react to it rather than wait until the next Day. I wonder what it would be like if the Dead had to vote to empower someone before most players had voted.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #818
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I have them on my laptop. If the village likes, I could share them later this weekend. 🙂
I also have those at least from the Nights when I was still alive. We can see whoever of us gets to them earlier and is able to post them in some coherent manner (might be a bit difficult on my part, I simply downloaded them from the 'Downs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Seconded! It was ironic that I, as the most expendable member of the pack, ended up in a rather safe spot, suspected here and there but never seriously and mostly written off as the cobbler. But what the knowledge of my secret superpower did for me was keep me from worrying about survival, which in turn may have reinforced the cobblerish impression (what Lommy correctly called my detachment from the game). I was ready to be lynched any old Day if need be, it just never happened.
I don't know how much my behaviour objectively contributed to that, but even from my part I realised that somehow I had built my reasoning and suspicious into a way that made me "suspect" you the least of my packmates. I realised it was an undesireable situation, but did not have time to back away from it (then I died).
Old 06-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #819
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Agreed in that the part I liked about it more was that we heard from the Dead/Quarantine Thread two hours before deadline, so that the village had the chance to react to it rather than wait until the next Day. I wonder what it would be like if the Dead had to vote to empower someone before most players had voted.
That's an interesting twist. I was actually thinking on the opposite lines - what if the dead would also cast their vote at DL? How would that change things in Nog's game?

On that note, at one point the Dead gave up banging heads on the wall and started brainstorming ideas for more Dead Thread games, and had some really good ones. I wanna play in those.

Quote:
Also, I really liked Rikae's random comment on categorising players based on perceptiveness, persuasiveness and resilience. Where do you guys think you stand?

I can also be fairly persuasive I think (see for instance getting Sally lynched last game)...

...but it isn't really a blessing because my weak point is perceptiveness. Which was proven AGAIN in this game.
Lol! Mine would probably be low on all counts as I tend to die early for stupid reasons and mostly unheeded regardless of role, but I make up for it with misguided chaos - again, regardless of role.

And speaking of misguided chaos, indeed I could not resist a cameo while reading the game. Hui, your reactions to my antics make me laugh so hard every time. I am keeping this one close to my heart and my posts.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #820
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Congratulations, baddies! That was a very close game. It was fun to watch both threads from the side without being personally involved. For the record, I was cheering for whichever side was losing at any given time. ^.^
So... the village pretty much the whole game?

And to those wondering: the Dead Thread is definitely a keeper, whatever its role. This theme came up several times over there. I think it will be a staple of Downsian WWing henceforth. In some form or other.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #821
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post

And to those wondering: the Dead Thread is definitely a keeper, whatever its role. This theme came up several times over there. I think it will be a staple of Downsian WWing henceforth. In some form or other.
I'm going to hold you to sharing that Ghost writer role you were brain-storming.

Inspired by Legate's Kafka quoting.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #822
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
In the middle Days I kinda ended up flip flopping, cheering for the DT but also cheering for living wolves. And hoping against hope that the villagers will be able to rally on the last Day.

Quote:
Absolutely. There needs to be a place to chat when you die, in some form or another. ++Dead Threads.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #823
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
I'm going to hold you to sharing that Ghost writer role you were brain-storming.

Inspired by Legate's Kafka quoting.
I mean... that does sort of bring up the question: who's modding next?

Because while I most definitely do not need to (there were Lists once! With a capital L), I *am* actually in a mood to play again!

Like it's 2006.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #824
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Phenomenal game play, wolves and cobbler. That's probably one of the best wolf packs I've ever seen. You all completely deserved that win.

Boro, thank you for a really fun game!!! And my Dead Thread Friends, thanks for a delightful time commentating all game long.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #825
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I died pretty early, so I don't have much to say in terms of my actual gameplay, but I will say that I was trying to bait the wolves into thinking I was a Seer who dreamed of an innocent Huey N1, and apparently I was second choice on both Nilp and Lommy's lists, so I came very close to the plan working!! Oh, well.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #826
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That was absolutely amazing. Nice playing Rikae, Wolf Pack, Nilp for giving us the Great Nilping of 2020, and Huey for figuring out the Seer

*tips hat*

I think this is the first time I've figured out how to rep posts. But I didn't sign it so oh well!

Almost all the baddies were playing the "silent but deadly" role. I call shenanigans on Sally's needing to work. She just wanted an excuse to look like she was in a hurry or unavailable.

I would love to play the next game. Please can we have the end time earlier? 3PM (10GMT) is my lunch time and I'm never online. 2PM (9GMT) or 1PM (8GMT) would be better for me.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 06-12-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #827
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quickly looked over some of the Dead Thread. Always looks like fun.

At the end of yesterDay, I thought you would all be mad at me for not voting Mac! After Nilp randomly showed up, I certainly was mad at myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
And if Greenie did dream of Shasta, I'm sure she's screaming at y'all beyond the grave.
Finally someone understands me!
*blows kisses*
Old 06-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #828
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
I'm all for this. One of the bigger downsides of dying (other than that is in fact, dying) is that you don't get to participate anyway. And it always has me feel bad for the ones who die early on. A Dead Thread continues to make the game fun for those who are lynched/killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
I mean... that does sort of bring up the question: who's modding next?

Because while I most definitely do not need to (there were Lists once! With a capital L), I *am* actually in a mood to play again!

Like it's 2006.
Haha, 2006 was a good year...though I didn't start playing WW until 2007. Welp, my wedding is offically postponed thanks to covid, and as of now I literally have nothing else to look forward to this year, so I might as well keep playing at least while I'm still working from home (which will probably be at least until September). I will say I could use a few weeks off from WW - maybe another game at the beginning of July?
Old 06-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #829
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I definitely want to play again. Werewolf has been a massive highlight this summer. Formy, your Ghost Game sounds amazing, I would love to play that kind of game.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #830
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

A Post on Role selection and other random thoughts...

I drew for the wolves first.

The first round, I drew 4 names 3 times. And all 3 times I pulled Legate and Mac's names. So, I figured it must have been meant to be this time...especially also being set near Amon Lanc.

I set them aside as 2 of the wolves and then pulled 4 names 3 more times. This had a little more variety, but there were 3 names I pulled twice... Pitch, Sally, Wilwa. I debated various combinations and thought maybe whoever is left out could be the cobbler.

But I settled on a pack of Legate, Mac, Pitch and Wilwa.

I pulled names for the gifted roles 3 times.

1 time Greenie was the seer and another time the Beast Hunter. 1 time Nilp was the ranger and another time the Beast Hunter. So I settled on Greenie seer, and Nilp BH. I pulled Lommy's name twice for the ranger and figured that was meant to be. Lommy messaged that she rarely ever was the Ranger and always seemed to protect the wolves more than innocents.

I was going to draw for the cobbler a few times, but 1st go was Rikae. I thought, perfect. They can put their wolf-finding skills for nefarious purposes.

Night 1 after roles had gone out, threw a big wrench into the start of the game. The next morning Wilwa messaged me she had to withdraw. Legate messaged me around Noon (with Day 1 starting in 6 hours) that he had not heard yet from either Mac or Pitch. So I rushed to figure out if I just regroup and restart in a few days or what to do.

I thought the best course was even if I couldn't get someone to be the 16th player for Wilwa to stick with 4 werewolves (I probably would have then just said forget about the NW). So, I quickly messaged sally, since she was sort of that '5th name' that if she wouldn't mind switching sides and being a wolf. She quickly got back and accepted. That was set.

I thought this might be really unfavorable to the village but essentially losing an "ordo" before Day 1 wouldn't be the most insurmountable setback. But I thought I better try to find someone to take a villager spot. I messaged Form and Eomer. They both responded Yes, Form just maybe 5 minutes before Eomer. And I thought...oh maybe I can insert Eomer into the game too! Wait...idiot, roles have already been sent out, it would be obvious what Eomer's role would be! But it's ok for Form to come in because the only people who knew Wilwa was meant to be a wolf were the other members. And the only person who knew sally was supposed to be an ordo was sally.

I'm very glad to pull Form out of retirement and that he and Nienna enjoyed it! From the very first post of "I'm just house-sitting for Wilwa, I wasn't even supposed to be here" post I was super happy. Thank you again!

Thank you BG for also stepping back into the game and glad you enjoyed it too!

I'm very happy that the BH role was used. When I was reading other Mafia-inspired games I thought it would be cool, but also over-powering in a smaller village.

I regret all that planning of the NW didn't go into effect. In the first email to the pack the randomizer spit out Pitch's name, but I gave them the option to discuss during Night 1 and change it to another one of them if they wanted. Pitch graciously accepted to keep it.

I think it would have been better to go with the other option of maybe once 2 wolves were dead, or when 1 wolf died and there were X number in the dead thread, instead of having 1 pre-chosen wolf to be the NW. Because while that set up an interesting dynamic for the pack to decide who to sacrifice and not. I think it also left quite a lot of confusion for the innocents to untangle as well. As the NW sort of became a psuedo-cobbler wolf, that people assumed would be the first wolf sacrificed/to die. That was probably more of a disadvantage to the village during the Day that this wolf pack used to their advantage.

Still, I guess that's the way of gaming and fortune. All the best laid plans of players and mods...Because had Nilp chosen Lottie night 2, or had the wolves taken the bait and tried to kill him Night 3, Pitch would have been the one sacrificed. If I'm remembering that correctly. They wisely chose Legate Night 4, figuring he was the one most likely to go down in a lynch soon. Also, fortunate that he was the wolf Greenie dreamed of already.

I can't say I was too disappointed though, because my end goal is just a balanced game that hopefully everyone enjoyed playing. And there will be another time to tinker with a NW possibly.

So much stuff I wrote down to comment on, but having to keep it to myself

I think I will leave it at this and call it a night...

Quote:
Haha, 2006 was a good year...though I didn't start playing WW until 2007. Welp, my wedding is offically postponed thanks to covid, and as of now I literally have nothing else to look forward to this year, so I might as well keep playing at least while I'm still working from home (which will probably be at least until September). I will say I could use a few weeks off from WW - maybe another game at the beginning of July?
I'd be good with a break...because I definitely need to get back to some RL matters, but same boat. I'll still be pretty much free in July and August to play. Also, congratulations on your marriage!

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-12-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #831
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I would like to play again at some point. I also love modding, but I have modded a disproportionate amount of games to what I've played. However, am very much looking forward to another game in whatever capacity and role. July will be a busy time because I am restarting RL full time, but I will also have fewer family matters to attend to. So might work out. Yay for Werewolf!
Old 06-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #832
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

>be me
>2 am in the morning
>finally pain-free all day
>but also sleepy
>Downs goes down
>panicked message to Boro
>Adam must've chided me: 'If you go to sleep, you'll miss the deadline.'
>set an alarm for on the phone one and a half hour before deadline (4:30 am)
>'You know that won't matter.'
>too tired to care
>sleep
>alarm goes off
>rustle, snooze, sleep
>brain snaps me awake
>5:51 am
>nine minutes left
>grab phone
>open the Downs
>misclick the Dead thread (sorry; I saw nothing I swear)
>look for the right thread
>from 14 pages when I went to sleep to 19 pages
>go to page 17
>5:58
>no time to read
>look at the vote tally
>Mac got a bunch of consecutive moves
>'The Wolves must have made their move.'
>vote Shasta
>fail at highlighting
>twice
>thrice
>then fail the village

In hindsight, missing the deadline would have been much better.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #833
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Dying laughing at Nilp's post. ❤️
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #834
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Very messy.

My first post in the Dead thread would have been a cartoon reaction image, but since I basically Deaded the village, I posted it here.
Boromod making me commit sudoku [sic] was lovely. I felt like doing that after reading the lynch narration.
Never suspected Sally. For some reason, I knew Kath was innocent, and I fairly trusted Lommy.
Quote:
N1 Boro well, I tried. He didn't let me do that.
That's funny; I also tried to set traps around his house, but he wouldn't let me either.
Rikae only pinged my radar with their totally-diferent-from-Mac's list. Did anyone check that? It had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
If Nilp is a wolf, empower Shasta.
Which was funny now but disconcerting in the moment.
Mac was still on the border of my various lists, but a combination of factors made me decide to (drunkenly-like) vote Shasta: aforementioned avalanche of votes (without knowing the context of said votes), his voting record, opposition to the Dead thread information transfer (that whole thing must have been hilarious to an outside observer.)
Quote:
I just wanted to look like a helpful member of the community!
I just realised that this is also how I would've played as a Wolf, but for some reason it made me trust you more than Shasta.

Quote:
He 100% fooled me and it took my packmates to talk me out of it. On Day3 I made a post about fake gifted reveals - that was me trying to lay some groundwork to dispute seerNilp in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I at least recall suggesting killing Nilp as one of our initial (perhaps two) options, but we pretty quickly decided against it as it would implicate Mac.
I was guessing my trap failed for being too obvious, but it was probably obvious for a different reason. I'd also wait for Sally's (❤️) lycan letters, but why was BG the Night 2 kill?)
Brinn was also on the same border as Mac, but for opposite reasons--she failed a lot of my voting tests, but I trusted her analyses. (Btw, I'm partly just posting what I would've posted had I been around that DAY, sprinkled with hindsight comments. That's kinda what the weird indenting is for.)
Also, to recall Wolvish domination past, probably my best games as a baddie was with Brinn and Greenie (and a pro-villager Wolf Inziladun, who had already been lynched), where, on the last DAY, we went divide-and-conquer (accusing whoever was most convenient for us), but that was a game with retractable votes. Doing the same without that same option takes boldness. So really, all my applause to the Werewolves.

Pitch I knew was bad, but was convinced he was the Cobbler. Of course, the NW had the freedom to act Cobblerish, but that's wisdom for the next life, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
the Great Nilping of 2020
My suiciding the village? Hahahahuhuhuhu (laughing then sobbing)

Later I'll post my thoughts on the Beast Hunter role, and to answer this:
Quote:
I think Nilp lacks mine and Lommy's resilience (to help Rikae in their point system )
Old 06-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #835
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Aw, Nilp! <3 You know what this means? It means you gotta play again. Seriously, setting an alarm to vote and attempting 5 pages in as many minutes - WW points for dedication.

But I second your question: why BG - and if wolves were surprised Greenie was the Seer, why Greenie?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #836
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And our dearest ally! I am amazed. That's what I call resilience! That's how it should be played! You showed all the Cobblers who exist only to become instant knowledge and throw themseves in a kamikaze run on the first opportunity, you showed them how it's done! That was some performance!
Aw, you're too kind! I'm really surprised to hear you guys didn't know who I was - I thought from your day 1 post leaving me out that you'd spotted my cobbler hints and were signaling me, so I was basically trying to steer the lynches away from you (and a few others, but you were the one I was most sure of) from that point on.

My day 1 "possible wolftower" suspicions were Legate, Pitch, Kath and Nilp, and I added Mac to the list on Day 2. I never suspected Sally at all, except slightly when she responded to my attempt at antagonism yesterDay with apologies - but then her vote convinced me otherwise.

And it was absolutely hilarious watching practically everyone else in the village accused of cobblery at one point or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
And, uh, I think I'll consider the Excel thing a failed experiment.
I don't know about that! It pointed toward Sally, didn't it?

Lommy, I felt kinda bad for leading you astray like that yesterDay ... I hope you forgive me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod God
I will point out that Brinn and Rikae went through Greenie's posts and I think were the closest to figuring out her dreams.
Well, my main concern was to squash any talk of known innocents as much as possible, but I couldn't avoid acknowledging Shasta as a possible one. I was so proud of myself for getting Kath off the hook, though!

Quote:
Honour where honour is due: Rikae, that was awesome! We only began to suspect it was you last Night (actually Mac did), but I should probably have guessed because I'm pretty sure you'd have destroyed me if you'd been innocent.
Aw, shucks! I actually had you in a gray area as maybe 50/50 possible wolf, but that was enough to back off and let you be.

Quote:
I actually thought of it because of the way the last game played out, and particularly, lamenting that I was more persuasive than perceptive and I didn't understand why people listened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Wolf posts! Wolf posts!

One more thing: I am so glad the dead thread noticed me insulting the cobbler. I was actively trying to make myself suspicious (and amuse the mod and wolves) at that point. Also, when I said "no one wants to lynch the cobbler toDay" I was basically asking the wolves why they weren't trying, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
>vote Shasta
>fail at highlighting
>twice
>thrice
That almost gave me a heart attack. I thought it was some kind of trick to get the baddies to prematurely celebrate and expose ourselves!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #837
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Eye

Playing Beast Hunter meant I had to think like a Ranger. So, much of my analysis was concerned with who the Wolves would attack than who the Wolves are. I guess that was pretty much obvious based on my voting record.

DAY 1: Brinn and Lottie (my only two choices) were basically 'people who weren't one of the three Cobblers™, or people who didn't vote for them or Hui'. I eventually chose the former. Screaming ensued.

DAY 2: This one I've explained often enough. In any case I would never have thought of setting the trap for BG's house, so shrug.

DAY 3: Greenie (as well as the dead Form) was the only one not to vote for Form. Didn't expect her to be gifted, let alone the Seer. I had half-expected to die this NIGHT because I hoped the Ranger prioritised the Seer. Apparently, this scenario was closer than I thought.
Quote:
To be fair, would I have had a little less busy RL day that Night, I might have still protected someone else, but I didn't have any feasible alternative for Nilp.
Re New Game (heh, literally the source of my first post's image): My disastrous decision-making in this game was due to my RL state, compounded by the deadline (and it is in that order; I felt I was participating fine the first two DAYs I wasn't compromised.) I told A Certain Critter that I would do nothing on DAY 3 because I didn't look in danger of the lynch, but then my physical condition deteriorated. (The Nog and Form-waggons quickly acquiring momentum made me realise anyone with a soupçon of suspicion could be lynched, which would be bad if I weren't around to explain myself.)

So I'd lean strongly towards joining the next game if the deadline were ah, more amenable to my location. Although there's no need to bend over backwards to accomodate me or A Possible Medical Murine--after all, we are a minority (hah).

Also, more cartoon images.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I might be out of regular employment by July, and my freelance thingy doesn't look like picking up anytime soon (imagine having two specialisations, with almost little in common, being nuked by the same thing), so by then I might be more willing to throw myself at anything.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 06-13-2020 at 12:27 AM. Reason: see above
Old 06-13-2020, 01:22 AM   #838
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
I liked this too! I'd say I'm perceptive but I don't always draw the right conclusions from the things I perceive I guess fairly resilient too, in that I tend to survive at least halfway through and often right to the end, and rarely get lynched. Persuasive, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
DAY 3: Greenie (as well as the dead Form) was the only one not to vote for Form. Didn't expect her to be gifted, let alone the Seer. I had half-expected to die this NIGHT because I hoped the Ranger prioritised the Seer. Apparently, this scenario was closer than I thought.
So Huin was literally the only one who did spot me? *tips Seer hat* I was pretty astonished to read the Form lynch the next morning because a) I didn't really think he was that suspicious, and b) since when do 10 people decide to vote for the same person unless he was a Seer-dreamed wolf or something? I did worry that it would put me in more of a spotlight than I wanted as I was doing okay at the under-everyone's-radar thing until then. Turns out I was more right than I knew.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:23 AM   #839
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Still, I guess that's the way of gaming and fortune. All the best laid plans of players and mods...Because had Nilp chosen Lottie night 2, or had the wolves taken the bait and tried to kill him Night 3, Pitch would have been the one sacrificed. If I'm remembering that correctly. They wisely chose Legate Night 4, figuring he was the one most likely to go down in a lynch soon. Also, fortunate that he was the wolf Greenie dreamed of already.
Actually, we had me in the front already the Night before I died. And we even debated switching back to Pitch again, because NightWolfing possibilities and we still had ALL the Gifteds running about! See, that Night 4 was actually a pretty important marker: from our perspective, before it, there were three Gifteds, one of whom was essentially a known innocent on top of all, and the two others of whom we had no clue who they might be. After the Night, suddenly the Seer was dead and the BH was without his powers, which was actually a win. The longer that would have continued, the worse for us - the need to skirt around both BH and Ranger, who could take turns in protecting the Seer, if it came to that (well, it actually happened).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
I was guessing my trap failed for being too obvious, but it was probably obvious for a different reason. I'd also wait for Sally's (❤️) lycan letters, but why was BG the Night 2 kill?)
Among other things, we agreed that we did not have any better Seer leads than her the Space Odyssey quote, and we also agreed that her death will create confusion in several ways, and that she probably was strongly considered innocent by multiple people.

My packmates may want to correct me or add their own perspective, but at least my personal perspective was that very often our Nights were like: look for who might be the Seer - finding only a couple of cases with very wobbly bases - out of those not-so-convincing options, see what other advantages they have in case they are not the Seer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Later I'll post my thoughts on the Beast Hunter role, and to answer this:
I am actually curious what you think about the role. It seemed a very interesting role to me and you were a veritable nightmare for us! And I think your reveal was brilliant, or, in other words, the worst thing that could have happened to us. I think Pitch said something that very well summed up my feelings back then on the Game Thread as his reaction to when you did it. A known innocent for the village, but one we can't kill because it almost certainly kills one of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
But I second your question: why BG - and if wolves were surprised Greenie was the Seer, why Greenie?
I don't know if we were completely surprised - well, I was, but in the sense that "wow, it worked! We hit the Seer after we kept missing for Nights on end!" - plus, again, speaking for myself, I had no more indication that Greenie was the Seer than anybody else; in fact, less.

But don't take my perspective as very representative. I said it to my packmates and I'm saying again, I am really bad at spotting Gifteds. If you don't place a Palantír icon into your first post or say "dark have been my dreams of late", I won't even look at you.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:07 AM   #840
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

So I just read through the Dead thread (beautiful calligraphy, Hui!), and watching D4 unfold through the eyes of the deceased brought back all the thrill and madness once again. I wonder how it would have gone if Nilp had stayed asleep - sally and I probably would have looked better on D5 with Mac's role revealed, and I actually considered faking a Ranger reveal if our Night kill had been blocked. But much better having it end with a flourish like this.

Shasta, if you're still reading, you really did your best to swing it for the village on D4. Not your fault the only people heeding you were wolves.

Quote:
My packmates may want to correct me or add their own perspective, but at least my personal perspective was that very often our Nights were like: look for who might be the Seer - finding only a couple of cases with very wobbly bases - out of those not-so-convincing options, see what other advantages they have in case they are not the Seer.
This is basically it. We obviously swallowed Lottie's Seer bait (undecided whether she'd dreamed Hui or Legate) and BG's Odyssey quote (also the part 'Seer: no comment yet' in her list hinting it might be herself). We almost fell for Rikae's Seer hints and killed our cobbler, but then switched to Greenie more or less because she looked too innocent to lynch and had too good reads on people to keep around till endgame. I think Greenie + Brinn + Nilp were our most feared antagonists this game (Brinn was also my alternative candidate for being the Ranger at the end).